Tomb Raider Preorder Exclusives Comparison Thread

smackinisaiah

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Sup CAGs!
This is my first attempt at a decent thread on here so any constructive criticism or advice is much appreciated and welcomed! I've saved a LOT of money on games in the past few months and the least I could do is contribute.

I'm currently in the market for Tomb Raider, and after comparing exclusives from some of the reputable retailers, I compiled a list of features for everyone to enjoy. I am aware that this is already a little dated, since Tomb Raider comes out next week, but it's my first attempt at this, and there's still some people on the fence about the game.

Also, this is my first of, hopefully, many posts like this. If anyone would like to give me a hand in compiling one solid, wikified thread that has preorder comparisons for all the upcoming games, please PM me and we can get something working.

3/5/13
TOMB RAIDER (X360/PS3)

Amazon:
  • Tomb Raider: Final Hours Edition $59.99 + FSS/Prime
    • Hunter Skin: An exclusive outfit that camouflages Lara in a heavy coating of mud, action movie-style.
    • The Final Hours of Tomb Raider 'Director's Cut' eBook for Kindle
    • The Art of Tomb Raider 'Amazon Edition' Art Book (Hardcover // 32 pages)
    • Tomb Raider Scavenger Hunt access code to unlock DLC items and chances to win prizes (mobile 'geocaching-esque' app, I believe? please correct me on this)
    • Shanty Town Multiplayer Map

• Receive $5 Amazon credit off the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com (exclusions apply).
  • Exclusive codes e-mailed within 2 days of shipment. (including $5 Amazon credit)
  • Art book packaged and shipped with product.
  • Amazon will price match game to lowest cost on Amazon.com during time between preorder and the end of the day on release date.
Best Buy:
  • Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS/Pickup
    • Tomb Raider game
    • Aviatrix Skin: Dress Lara as a classic 1930s adventurer, bomber jacket and all.
    • Tomb Raider: The Beginnings Comic Book: Written by Rhianna Pratchett with cover art by Tomb Raider Art Director Brian Horton. The Beginnings is a 48-page, six-part comic book that explains how the Endurance's ill-fated voyage came to be. This special edition comic book brings together the cast and crew, including a budding young adventurer named Lara Croft, as they search for the Yamatai off Japan's East Coast. (Packages with the game.)
    • Shanty Town Multiplayer Map (thanks DeskLaser)

• $20 Reward Zone Certificate if you are a Gamer’s Club [Unlocked] member (received 30 days from date of purchase)
  • 2X Reward Zone points for new video game purchases
  • 15% off a Limited Edition guide ($32.30 + tax after discount)
    • Guide includes an exclusive 1.5" metal amulet with rope from the game, two special in-game digital downloads and a collectible hardcover strategy guide with a deluxe finish.
  • Tomb Raider Survival XBOX 360 controller ($39.99 when purchased with game)
Walmart:
  • Tomb Raider $59.96 + FS/Pickup
    • Guardian of Light download (1200 MSP / $15 value)
    • Guerrilla skin: This exclusive outfit makes Lara look like a jungle warfare guerrilla
    • Tomb Raider Scavenger Hunt code

• $4.99 VUDU Movie Credits (e-mailed)
GameStop:
  • Tomb Raider $59.96 + FS/Pickup
    • Exclusive Lost Adventurer Challenge Tomb. An exclusive tomb for Lara to raid! In this new location, Lara will encounter all new environment puzzles that will test her abilities.

• 10 points per dollar spent for PowerUp Rewards members
  • Tomb Raider Survival XBOX 360 controller $59.99
Target:
  • Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS/Pickup
    • Exclusive Target steelbook (preorder NOT required)
  • $5 Target GC after purchase

Amazon/Best Buy/Walmart/GameStop:

• Tomb Raider: Collector's Edition $99.99 + FS
    • Includes any store-specific exclusives (including Amazon)
    • Play Arts Kai Lara Croft Figurine: Fully posable figurine with over 40 points of articulation. The dirt on her body and clothes have been realistically recreated to tell the tale of Lara's fierce fight for survival on a desolate island in her first and most harrowing adventure. Comes with alternate set of 3 hands, bow and arrow, shotgun, handgun, and climbing axe. Figure Size: Approx 8.0" Tall
    • Endurance Survival Kit Packaging: Worn and weather-beaten steel tin (not a steel book) recovered from the Endurance shipwreck, and a 15" x 19" Double Sided Island Map and Poster. Discover Key Landmarks from the mysterious island of Yamati, where Lara Croft and her fellow castaways were marooned after the Endurance shipwreck. On the reverse is a poster size image of the box art that epitomizes Lara's origin story.
    • 5" x 7" heavy stock lithograph print with matte frame, designed by Crystal Dynamic's Senior Art Director, Brian Horton, painting by Brenoch Adams.
    • 3 Iron-on badges of the game's key icons (Animal Instincts, Climbing Axe, Fire Arrow)
    • Tomb Raider Original Soundtrack 'Survivalist cut'. A collection of 10 tracks totaling over 60 minutes of music from the game
    • Weapons Pack DLC
Microsoft Store:

• Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS
    • 1600 points card free with preorder from microsoftstore.com ($20 value)
      • Coupon code will be sent to email address associated with purchase within 10 days of game being shipped.
Again, if anyone has any comments, suggestions, or anything please let me know. Hope you CAGs find this useful!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tylerh1701']It doesn't look like anyone is really managing that thread at this point.[/QUOTE]
I've kept it current through March but yeah, nobody is helping out otherwise. I also don't list Walmart, Target, etc because checking every site is a pain and typically doesn't have anything anyway. Also, the Target SB is not a pre-order exclusive; you can walk in and buy one on Tuesday. Had no idea about the $5 GC though.

All these games nowadays can come out with gimmicks like dolls, and tin boxes, and comic books but they can't even make a goddamn instruction manual. Tomb Raider will probably be the same.

[quote name='TooPoor']Conan keeps killing Lara :([/QUOTE]

Heh, his reaction to that was pretty priceless. I had this pre-ordered and saw those scenes before but seeing it on there definitely made me more excited to play it.

[quote name='themidnighter23']Does anyone know if there will be content differences between the Xbox and ps3 version?[/QUOTE]
360 was apparently getting timed exclusive DLC, which I haven't heard anything new about it for a while now. PS3 version on the other hand just looks noticeably better graphic-wise based on all the comparison vids being released.

We got hyped over it here, but then found out the game only lasts 10 hours unless you milk it to 100%. That smells a LOT like Uncharted 3 to us, which was a huge letdown. It had great cinematics, but the gameplay was far too easy, what little there actually was of it.

We'll wait for a $30 or less pricepoint on TR, or maybe a steam PC sale. (I've seen it as low as $34 on steam already.)

[quote name='Gareee']We got hyped over it here, but then found out the game only lasts 10 hours unless you milk it to 100%. That smells a LOT like Uncharted 3 to us, which was a huge letdown. It had great cinematics, but the gameplay was far too easy, what little there actually was of it.

We'll wait for a $30 or less pricepoint on TR, or maybe a steam PC sale. (I've seen it as low as $34 on steam already.)[/QUOTE]

Okay Venom.

I have a feeling Conan O'Brien is going to sell a lot of copies of this game. I've heard a lot of people say they're interested in it now because of how funny his video was. That and the reviews being out a week early and being so good.

Interested in this game, but waiting for price drop considering how short it is (note I'm not saying its bad because its short, just in case people want to start trouble. I know who you are lol)

[quote name='matrix9280']Okay Venom.[/QUOTE]

Lulz, I was going to go with "Good to hear Two-Face" but Venom is better.

That said, I'll be waiting for

[quote name='Gamer4life88']Hope you're a multiplayer kinda guy cause I read that those trophies alone can take up to 55 hours to obtain. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I'm not really but I love my trophies so I'll try for them, plus I heard you can level up by yourself so hopefully they don't patch that out.

[quote name='smackinisaiah']Should I move over there and take over, or should I just elaborate on and evolve this one? I always feel weird just hopping in someone else's project and taking over. I would want to change a bit to the format.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a mod or anything so I get zero say in it. But what I really liked about the old thread was that it kept all the pre-order bonus stuff in one thread, rather than having a separate thread for each game's pre-order bonuses and cluttering up the front page. So, just in my personal opinion, you can just turn this into pre-order thread 2.0. I'd recommend wikify-ing it as well in case others (like Jodou) want to contribute, but that's up to you.

But like I said, I'm just a CAG voicing my opinion. You can do whatever you want until a mod tells you to stop.

[quote name='Jodou']I've kept it current through March but yeah, nobody is helping out otherwise. I also don't list Walmart, Target, etc because checking every site is a pain and typically doesn't have anything anyway. Also, the Target SB is not a pre-order exclusive; you can walk in and buy one on Tuesday. Had no idea about the $5 GC though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, after I looked at that other thread again, I saw that you did put some good work into it. Sorry, I didn't give you enough credit.

[quote name='benjamouth']Lulz, I was going to go with "Good to hear Two-Face" but Venom is better.

That said, I'll be waiting for

[quote name='Gamer4life88']Hope you're a multiplayer kinda guy cause I read that those trophies alone can take up to 55 hours to obtain. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Ouch, sounds like you have to grind to third prestige to get all the MP achievements. That seems a little excessive for a series that isn't primarily multiplayer.

I'm going to pick it up, but I really don't care about the multiplayer at all and would probably pass on it if I cared about the trophies/achievements.

[quote name='SGRX']Ouch, sounds like you have to grind to third prestige to get all the MP achievements. That seems a little excessive for a series that isn't primarily multiplayer.

I'm going to pick it up, but I really don't care about the multiplayer at all and would probably pass on it if I cared about the trophies/achievements.[/QUOTE]
If SP rocks i will try to finish mp. I have a feeling mp be dead within weeks like most non cod/halo type games. The trailers for mp look ok for a few hours tops then gets dull. I hope i am wrong. Them doing such a grind mp achiev is meh they are really trying to push mp on this series now. coop side missions be cool but not what they did.

You can just buy the collectors edition and sell the game. Then rebuy when it hits your price point. I did that with MGR. Sold the game disc only too for $50 lol

[quote name='DieGo2SHAE']Best Buy seems like the best option here, is joining the Gamer’s Club [Unlocked] thing free?[/QUOTE]
It costs $15 for a year.

Just a FYI for those wanting the scavenger hunt pre-order DLC thing... I can confirm that even if you don't sign up until today, you'll still be able to complete all of the past challenges for points. I just got my access code today and was able to do everything :)

[quote name='Kaiser499']Can you provide the answers?[/QUOTE]

They are pretty darn easy, plus you get to do them until you get them right :) It's easy stuff like Name the Island the game takes place on, who voices Lara, what tool she uses to climb, etc.

It's mainly for some DLC skills / upgrades. From what I can tell, you unlock the skills / upgrades during the game anyway, but this must let you unlock them from the get go. You also get tickets to enter the sweepstakes for prizes.

The unlocks are:

• Animal Instinct- The Animal instinct skill lights up XP-laden animals in Survival Instinct mode, to help Lara upgrade more quickly.

• Agility -The Agility skill lets Lara ascend mountain faces more quickly and ensures she lands safely from higher falls.

• Headshot Reticle -The headshot reticle lets Lara utilize her weapons more accurately. When used with the pistol silencer, it makes for a deadly combination.

• Pistol Burst -The three-shot burst pistol upgrade lets Lara unleash a hail of firepower on her foes.

• Pistol Silencer -The pistol silencer lets Lara use stealthy tactics to overcome even the trickiest of situations.

Ah, Im new to square enix thing, I figured you got the square points or whatever. DLC is fine, but not if its unlocked through natural progression in the game, lmao.

I dont understand the point of all this.

I'm assuming they unlock as you progress through the game because they don't sound like skills they'd only let pre-order people get, but who knows.

It's really just marketing for their game. It doesn't take long to do though, so shrug :)

the OP is wrong. It's not a Tomb Raider download at the Microsoft Store. It's boxed retail.

alright, dug through all my store credits and saw that I still had $25 store credit at the Microsoft Store because of the Halo 4 preorder! Made Tomb Raider a great price. Plus preordering Tomb Raider gives you 1600 Microsoft points! I will be impaling Lara soon! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you preorder the CE from Amazon, do you get the "Final Hours" content with it?

Also, I still can't decide whether to get this for 360 or PC D:

[quote name='Reiniku']If you preorder the CE from Amazon, do you get the "Final Hours" content with it?

Also, I still can't decide whether to get this for 360 or PC D:[/QUOTE]
I still can't decide :ps3: or :pc:, I need some concrete side by side comparison. Need to research this after I get off work.

[quote name='TPerryoo7']Heres a better look at the figure with the collectors edition if anyone is on the fence. Its going to be an amazing piece. I actually specialize in action figures (part of what I do for a living) and I know Play arts very well, and they do not disappoint, especially as of late. There earlier stuff was a little rocky though, so some may have a bad taste in their mouths with the play arts.

SDCC12SETRLrCrft.jpg

lara-croft-statue.jpg

00.jpg

Play-Arts-Kai-Tomb-Raider-Lara-Croft-2_1355324384.jpg

But I highly recommend them. The painting, detail, and poseability are more than what you'd typically find in a video game collectors edition statue. The other day a gamestop employee had the nerve to tell me how much better a cheap statue would be than this "toy" He clearly has no idea what level of quality it will be, So I had to educate him a little bit so he could have a better understanding of what he deals with at his job. Character Statues like the uncharted 3 nathan, the Max Payne, and the upcoming Kratos statue just pale in comparison.

So the $50-70 value figure plus the game and extras is totally worth it if anyone is on the fence. I would get it IF i had the money, but I just don't right now. There will be another Lara figure released separately later down the line, with paint variations (blue shirt) and different accessories, so if you miss out on the collectors, then you can grab the figure later. I have a feeling this may become harder to obtain, because of the figures paint differences. It will just become a rarer collectors piece that happens to be in the collectors edition for this game.[/QUOTE]

these pics made me change my mind, re-ordered the CE at amazon, hope it comes with the artbook too, i took a screencap of the offer selected with the CE on their page which states it is eligible for the artbook as well

[quote name='henry00x']these pics made me change my mind, re-ordered the CE at amazon, hope it comes with the artbook too, i took a screencap of the offer selected with the CE on their page which states it is eligible for the artbook as well[/QUOTE]

Completely forgot to do that. People should do this just in case.

[quote name='TooPoor']Conan keeps killing Lara :([/QUOTE]

He wants to see her in sides :lol:

How many people are going to play house with her and Drake

Does anyone know anything about the Target steelbook yet and if it's a separate bonus? I was just wondering if I could buy the game and then return the game the next day and keep the steelbook. I guess it will depend if the steelbook is counted on the receipt...or how smart the guest service person is when you try to return it.

My plan is to spend $100 and get the Amazon collectors edition (along with the extra goodies exclusive to the Amazon preorder) and the steelbook. Hopefully I could work that out somehow.

Damn I want the CE through BB because of the chance of the price dropping within 60 days, but they dont seem to offer the $20 like the regular edition.

[quote name='STEVE05']I was just wondering if I could buy the game and then return the game the next day and keep the steelbook.
[/QUOTE]
You might get white knighted for such proposals...

[quote name='budarc']That is damn strange. Spoke to "Marissa" over at Amazon chat and they told me it was a separate deal. Who to believe??? Oh well.

As for the art book, my understanding is that it is included in the slipcover of the Final Hours edition. Once again, I may be wrong.[/QUOTE]

Start taking screen shot people! I believe they are included. Artbook is separate packaging like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade artbook. As for codes, it should somewhere within artbook or email.

bread's done
Back