Tomb Raider Preorder Exclusives Comparison Thread

smackinisaiah

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Sup CAGs!
This is my first attempt at a decent thread on here so any constructive criticism or advice is much appreciated and welcomed! I've saved a LOT of money on games in the past few months and the least I could do is contribute.

I'm currently in the market for Tomb Raider, and after comparing exclusives from some of the reputable retailers, I compiled a list of features for everyone to enjoy. I am aware that this is already a little dated, since Tomb Raider comes out next week, but it's my first attempt at this, and there's still some people on the fence about the game.

Also, this is my first of, hopefully, many posts like this. If anyone would like to give me a hand in compiling one solid, wikified thread that has preorder comparisons for all the upcoming games, please PM me and we can get something working.

3/5/13
TOMB RAIDER (X360/PS3)

Amazon:
  • Tomb Raider: Final Hours Edition $59.99 + FSS/Prime
    • Hunter Skin: An exclusive outfit that camouflages Lara in a heavy coating of mud, action movie-style.
    • The Final Hours of Tomb Raider 'Director's Cut' eBook for Kindle
    • The Art of Tomb Raider 'Amazon Edition' Art Book (Hardcover // 32 pages)
    • Tomb Raider Scavenger Hunt access code to unlock DLC items and chances to win prizes (mobile 'geocaching-esque' app, I believe? please correct me on this)
    • Shanty Town Multiplayer Map

• Receive $5 Amazon credit off the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com (exclusions apply).
  • Exclusive codes e-mailed within 2 days of shipment. (including $5 Amazon credit)
  • Art book packaged and shipped with product.
  • Amazon will price match game to lowest cost on Amazon.com during time between preorder and the end of the day on release date.
Best Buy:
  • Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS/Pickup
    • Tomb Raider game
    • Aviatrix Skin: Dress Lara as a classic 1930s adventurer, bomber jacket and all.
    • Tomb Raider: The Beginnings Comic Book: Written by Rhianna Pratchett with cover art by Tomb Raider Art Director Brian Horton. The Beginnings is a 48-page, six-part comic book that explains how the Endurance's ill-fated voyage came to be. This special edition comic book brings together the cast and crew, including a budding young adventurer named Lara Croft, as they search for the Yamatai off Japan's East Coast. (Packages with the game.)
    • Shanty Town Multiplayer Map (thanks DeskLaser)

• $20 Reward Zone Certificate if you are a Gamer’s Club [Unlocked] member (received 30 days from date of purchase)
  • 2X Reward Zone points for new video game purchases
  • 15% off a Limited Edition guide ($32.30 + tax after discount)
    • Guide includes an exclusive 1.5" metal amulet with rope from the game, two special in-game digital downloads and a collectible hardcover strategy guide with a deluxe finish.
  • Tomb Raider Survival XBOX 360 controller ($39.99 when purchased with game)
Walmart:
  • Tomb Raider $59.96 + FS/Pickup
    • Guardian of Light download (1200 MSP / $15 value)
    • Guerrilla skin: This exclusive outfit makes Lara look like a jungle warfare guerrilla
    • Tomb Raider Scavenger Hunt code

• $4.99 VUDU Movie Credits (e-mailed)
GameStop:
  • Tomb Raider $59.96 + FS/Pickup
    • Exclusive Lost Adventurer Challenge Tomb. An exclusive tomb for Lara to raid! In this new location, Lara will encounter all new environment puzzles that will test her abilities.

• 10 points per dollar spent for PowerUp Rewards members
  • Tomb Raider Survival XBOX 360 controller $59.99
Target:
  • Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS/Pickup
    • Exclusive Target steelbook (preorder NOT required)
  • $5 Target GC after purchase

Amazon/Best Buy/Walmart/GameStop:

• Tomb Raider: Collector's Edition $99.99 + FS
    • Includes any store-specific exclusives (including Amazon)
    • Play Arts Kai Lara Croft Figurine: Fully posable figurine with over 40 points of articulation. The dirt on her body and clothes have been realistically recreated to tell the tale of Lara's fierce fight for survival on a desolate island in her first and most harrowing adventure. Comes with alternate set of 3 hands, bow and arrow, shotgun, handgun, and climbing axe. Figure Size: Approx 8.0" Tall
    • Endurance Survival Kit Packaging: Worn and weather-beaten steel tin (not a steel book) recovered from the Endurance shipwreck, and a 15" x 19" Double Sided Island Map and Poster. Discover Key Landmarks from the mysterious island of Yamati, where Lara Croft and her fellow castaways were marooned after the Endurance shipwreck. On the reverse is a poster size image of the box art that epitomizes Lara's origin story.
    • 5" x 7" heavy stock lithograph print with matte frame, designed by Crystal Dynamic's Senior Art Director, Brian Horton, painting by Brenoch Adams.
    • 3 Iron-on badges of the game's key icons (Animal Instincts, Climbing Axe, Fire Arrow)
    • Tomb Raider Original Soundtrack 'Survivalist cut'. A collection of 10 tracks totaling over 60 minutes of music from the game
    • Weapons Pack DLC
Microsoft Store:

• Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS
    • 1600 points card free with preorder from microsoftstore.com ($20 value)
      • Coupon code will be sent to email address associated with purchase within 10 days of game being shipped.
Again, if anyone has any comments, suggestions, or anything please let me know. Hope you CAGs find this useful!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really glad there's a high quality figure like this, I've never played a Tomb Raider before but as a collector of VG figures/statues I NEED this :lol:

I'm very satisfied that they chose an actual maker of these things instead of that McDonald's quality crap a lot of CE's get.

[quote name='TooPoor']You might get white knighted for such proposals...[/QUOTE]

Why hate?

It's not like Target has anything else going for it. (Lol at $5 gift cards)

[quote name='Gamer SDP']so 360 or ps3?[/QUOTE]
Same here just bought first ps3 console comes tue but i bought somuch 360 stuff i am used to buying 360 only. PS3 people what u think?

[quote name='TooPoor']You might get white knighted for such proposals...[/QUOTE]

Getting white knighted, absolute last thing on my mind, couldn't care less.

Heck, I'd pay for the steelbook if I have to. I'm sure Target would charge me a lot less than some reseller on Ebay. I just want that steelbook so bad...but also want the figure in the collectors edition...

Decisions.

[quote name='STEVE05']Getting white knighted, absolute last thing on my mind, couldn't care less.

Heck, I'd pay for the steelbook if I have to. I'm sure Target would charge me a lot less than some reseller on Ebay. I just want that steelbook so bad...but also want the figure in the collectors edition...

Decisions.[/QUOTE]

Buy the CE at target? Just saying that it kills two birds.

[quote name='GodofGambler']Play Arts figure is worth it. They known for making Fina Fantasy figures and those sell about $30-$40 each, if not more.[/QUOTE]
60-65 retail these days the reg fig non ce is 65 i believe. the toy people will help keep prices up i know the toy biz well. PA top of the line for there prices.

[quote name='StryderOmega']Buy the CE at target? Just saying that it kills two birds.[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression Target isn't selling the CE, am I wrong? Also, I would still be missing out on the Amazon bonus stuff like the art book (not a huge deal but it's something).

[quote name='STEVE05']I was under the impression Target isn't selling the CE, am I wrong? Also, I would still be missing out on the Amazon bonus stuff like the art book (not a huge deal but it's something).[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure we will have to wait for the release, but Target does usually carry CEs. They usually don't put it up on the web however till it is out. Just wait and see. Pre order elsewhere tho to garuntee it.

[quote name='StryderOmega']It will be packaged with the game. At least that is what it says.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MR_E']Nope...not yet. You pick it up at release. I, too, am guessing that it will probably bundled with the game in some way like the FF novella (especially since it's supposedly a hardcover book).[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

[quote name='mikemb402']anyone think the collectors edition will sell out...I dont want to spend 100 then see it discounted a week later[/QUOTE]

No. Haven't seen a Square Enix CE sell out... Ever. Lol at least not at full price. Could be wrong with this one tho.

If it were a guide on the other hand... That is a different story.

[quote name='mikemb402']anyone think the collectors edition will sell out...I dont want to spend 100 then see it discounted a week later[/QUOTE]

::looks into crystal ball:: "Try again later"

sorry

You got figure collectors buying for variant to so add that to the list to buy or not.

I really have no idea, this is the first time a Play Arts Kai figure has been bundled with a game to my knowledge, they go for around $60, so this is about a "$120 value", not not to mention the tin, that tiny little lithograph, and the poster.

So it might? If you don't want to take a gamble then I'd hold off. Depends on how many things they made (because technically they could make way more money if they just sold the figure on its own).

Well done, informative thread. I'm going with BB mostly do to the 20$ but also, for me, the comic sounds more interesting than the art book. On a semi-related note, Bioshock Infinite is coming out soon with an assortment preorder deals(hint, hint).

Isn't the Deus EX: HR European Collectors edition limited? It came with play arts figure of adam jensen.

Made by square enix if I'm not mistaken

[quote name='Greybeard']Well done, informative thread. I'm going with BB mostly do to the 20$ but also, for me, the comic sounds more interesting than the art book. On a semi-related note, Bioshock Infinite is coming out soon with an assortment preorder deals(hint, hint).[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter. Can't really beat these $20 RZC deals BB has. No matter the bonus.

[quote name='giantqtipz']Isn't the Deus EX: HR European Collectors edition limited? It came with play arts figure of adam jensen.

Made by square enix if I'm not mistaken[/QUOTE]

Yes it was. Didn't even know about it, but it was only available in Europe and I play on the Xbox so it would have been pointless to buy it anyway.

Triple post... I know.

Bad news bears for Steel Books at target:

[quote name='Dirty']Oh, I guess that's me. The Target I work at just got a box of Tomb Raider in today. Steelbooks for PS3 and 360. The game does in fact come in the steelbook. It's actually the same case for both versions (which might annoy PS3 owners, since this game will be taller than your standard cases). They have little cardboard borders on them to show what console they're for.

And more bad news. The box only had about 10 copies each. I know this will vary from store to store, but considering that's close to how many copies we pre-ordered, I'm a little worried that a lot of people might not be able to get a steelbook.

To try to end this post with a glimmer of hope, Target recently had that promotion where you buy a $40-60 game and buy a pre-order card, you got a $10 GC, meaning a lot of people pre-ordered games they have no intention of ever picking up. Which means that a lot of Tomb Raider pre-orders at Target may not get picked up. If that's the case, they will be put out for sale the following Tuesday. So if you miss out on the 5th, try back on the 12th and you might get lucky.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='StryderOmega']Triple post... I know.

Bad news bears for Steel Books at target:[/QUOTE]

Buzz kill.

Only thing I could think of now is buying the steel book at Target and the CE at amazon. Return the CE version of the game to Target and just keep the steel book game with the CE goodies.

But this of course would depend on if the CE version of the game is sealed in the tin and if the UPC codes would match the steel book version at Target.

Haha, I may just have to skip the steel book or hope I can snag one off eBay for relatively cheap.

Thanks for the info though! I appreciate it.

I'm secretly hoping they're sold out of the steelbook because I can't make up my mind over Amazon or Target for editions. Why must they make this so hard?

[quote name='T1NY']Damn I want the CE through BB because of the chance of the price dropping within 60 days, but they dont seem to offer the $20 like the regular edition.[/QUOTE]

You'll get the $20 RZ certificate on either version preordered as long as its the same game.

All first shipment copies have the BB exclusives including the CE. The regular ones even come in a special thick packaging. So you don't have to preorder it.

[quote name='giantqtipz']Isn't the Deus EX: HR European Collectors edition limited? It came with play arts figure of adam jensen.

Made by square enix if I'm not mistaken[/QUOTE]
UK only i think... I wanted so bad to.

[quote name='StryderOmega']Meh I don't see a huge difference.

I am sure both versions have its ups and downs.[/QUOTE]
You must have a old monitor or forgot your glasses cause it is a big enough difference. Also watching this as non hd stream and a small window is worthiess. Watch on a 42 inch hd tv and if you say the same thing then happy trolling.

This place seems to much like sd lately there must be a strike there or something.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']You must have a old monitor or forgot your glasses cause it is a big enough difference. Also watching this as non hd stream and a small window is worthiess. Watch on a 42 inch hd tv and if you say the same thing then happy trolling.[/QUOTE]
yeah, I switched my preorder after noticing the difference myself. graphic whores unite!

[quote name='Banana Peel Assassin']yeah, I switched my preorder after noticing the difference myself. graphic whores unite![/QUOTE]
I heard 360 slightly smoother but not much. I started TR on PS1 why not try my luck. At least it was not a Aliens type of fiasco. :lol:

[quote name='Jodou']I'm secretly hoping they're sold out of the steelbook because I can't make up my mind over Amazon or Target for editions. Why must they make this so hard?[/QUOTE]

Honestly you could probably just buy the game at target, they give you the steel book separately, then return the game and keep the steel book. Maybe not ethical but w/e

[quote name='DeskLaser']Damn, I am stuck playing games on the Xbox 360 for multiplayer, as that is what everyone else I know uses.[/QUOTE]
They are saying the 360 is good do not worry it just more watered down but great gameplay. All my friends pissed i went ps3... My 109 bones for my ce. But single player is where i will be at.

[quote name='jrr6415sun']Honestly you could probably just buy the game at target, they give you the steel book separately, then return the game and keep the steel book. Maybe not ethical but w/e[/QUOTE]
I want that steel case shocked ce did not get one but the figure i rather own this time.

I hope amazon seller puts one up i am anti paypal... :( I so want it now to.
000889.jpg

[quote name='StryderOmega']Meh I don't see a huge difference.

I am sure both versions have its ups and downs.[/QUOTE]

Pause it at 1:07 you can see a huge difference with the blood and facial detail. I'm not sure why she's such a pale ghost in the xbox version though.

[quote name='Katsumi']They are pretty darn easy, plus you get to do them until you get them right :) It's easy stuff like Name the Island the game takes place on, who voices Lara, what tool she uses to climb, etc.[/QUOTE]

FYI, go to the Eidos Tomb Raider forums and comb through the Scavanger Hunt thread there. Everything that can not be easily google searched (i.e. that is right in the wikipedia article) is answered in there.

Also, you have until March 5th before they stop accepting submissions for the Scavanger Hunt.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']You must have a old monitor or forgot your glasses cause it is a big enough difference. Also watching this as non hd stream and a small window is worthiess. Watch on a 42 inch hd tv and if you say the same thing then happy trolling.

This place seems to much like sd lately there must be a strike there or something.[/QUOTE]

Ok I watched it on a bigger screen. (Watched it on my phone previously)

Anyway, ok there is a difference, I didn't say there wasn't. I am just saying there is not a huge difference. It is just lighting, which is nothing out of the normal with different ports, and the PS3 seems to have this ugly motion blur thing going on when your moving. (Grass becomes all fugly).

Anyway, lighting isn't going to affect gameplay all that much, especially when it isn't that far off from one another. If you all are such graphic whores, then get the PC version, as it will have the best of all versions.

The lighting and some of the textures looked a little crisper on PS3, but I'd call it a reach to claim that there's some huge difference.

[quote name='STEVE05']Buzz kill.

Only thing I could think of now is buying the steel book at Target and the CE at amazon. Return the CE version of the game to Target and just keep the steel book game with the CE goodies.

But this of course would depend on if the CE version of the game is sealed in the tin and if the UPC codes would match the steel book version at Target.

Haha, I may just have to skip the steel book or hope I can snag one off eBay for relatively cheap.

Thanks for the info though! I appreciate it.[/QUOTE]
Based on the unboxing video, the weapons pack codes appear to be in the game case, so you might be giving that up. Also, some CEs won't have barcodes (or will have different barcodes) on the game cases.

does anyone know if the PSN digital version comes with anything? with the $10 for every $50 i was really just thinking of buying it on PSN.

Great thread. This is the first time in a long time I am consider a Pre-order that is not an RPG. Still might wait for a price drop though.

Well I do not see the Guardian of Light download on Walmarts site. I tried to see if others posted about this but did not see anything, that bonus expired?

Any word as to whether the Best Buy CE will include the comic? I'm torn between which to buy... Thanks!

[quote name='WingsDJY']Also, some CEs won't have barcodes (or will have different barcodes) on the game cases.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that will be the case here since it just looks like they threw in the regular came case in the CE tin. Still, there is no way the UPC is going to match the Target steelbook, but it really shouldn't matter at Target. Returns aren't matched by UPC - they are matched by Target's DPCI. In the past, Target exclusives have mapped to the same DPCI as the "regular" release.

I have my CE preordered at Amazon, but I'm torn on either keeping it or getting the steelbook from Target. I really hate when publishers make it difficult like this.

[quote name='Jodou']I'm secretly hoping they're sold out of the steelbook because I can't make up my mind over Amazon or Target for editions. Why must they make this so hard?[/QUOTE]

If that steelbook had been G2 sized, I would've been in trouble. Target made it easy for me, though. I was originally going to go with Amazon and get the CE, but I realized I wouldn't normally buy that figure on it's own even if it were $30. I am tempted, though. It IS excellent and one of the rare times that a CE pack-in is actually worth more than the total price of the CE. I will still be shocked if these CEs don't end up being heavily discounted one day and people really get that figure for a steal (it will be sad if the figure + CE end up being cheaper than the figure on it's own).

I decided to make my own CE and use the money saved from not getting the CE to order the full art book (in place of Amazon's hardcover pamphlet) and the full CD (it's ridiculous that the CE includes half of the soundtrack). I'm getting the game from Best Buy since the comic has yet to be announced to be available elsewhere. I have a feeling it's going to be a digital series and this may be the only place to get it in print for some time.

[quote name='jrr6415sun']Honestly you could probably just buy the game at target, they give you the steel book separately, then return the game and keep the steel book. Maybe not ethical but w/e[/QUOTE]
AFAIK the steelbook isn't separate from the game, so that isn't even an option.

Looking at my email this morning, I noticed that I pre-ordered the PC version TWICE. :oops: I pre-ordered it at Amazon so long ago that I forgot, and I later ordered it from Green Man Gaming. Too late to cancel now... I guess I'll try to find someone who wants to buy a code off me at a slight discount, and learn from my dumb mistake.

[quote name='BrandonJF']
I decided to make my own CE and use the money saved from not getting the CE to order the full art book (in place of Amazon's hardcover pamphlet) and the full CD (it's ridiculous that the CE includes half of the soundtrack). I'm getting the game from Best Buy since the comic has yet to be announced to be available elsewhere. I have a feeling it's going to be a digital series and this may be the only place to get it in print for some time.[/QUOTE]

The soundtrack thing is sort of confusing. The 10-track soundtrack with the collector's edition says it's over 60 minutes long. Yet the 20-track commercial soundtrack is apparently only 1 disc. So unless the other 10 songs are like 1 1/2 minutes long each, I'm wondering if the two different soundtracks contain different mixes/edits...or if some of the tracks on the CE soundtrack disc are longer tracks that aren't on the commercial soundtrack. Has anyone seen a tracklisting for the CE survivalist soundtrack yet?

[quote name='Kitoro']Any word as to whether the Best Buy CE will include the comic? I'm torn between which to buy... Thanks![/QUOTE]

Yeah, the Best Buy CE does include the comic and all the rest of the BB exclusives.

I saw the packaging for both versions and both regular and CE has the same exclusives.

The comic looks pretty thick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't see this posted in the OP. The Best Buy exclusive is going to be packaged similarly to Final Fantasy XIII-2. The game and comic will be housed in another box.

bread's done
Back