Tomb Raider Preorder Exclusives Comparison Thread

smackinisaiah

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Sup CAGs!
This is my first attempt at a decent thread on here so any constructive criticism or advice is much appreciated and welcomed! I've saved a LOT of money on games in the past few months and the least I could do is contribute.

I'm currently in the market for Tomb Raider, and after comparing exclusives from some of the reputable retailers, I compiled a list of features for everyone to enjoy. I am aware that this is already a little dated, since Tomb Raider comes out next week, but it's my first attempt at this, and there's still some people on the fence about the game.

Also, this is my first of, hopefully, many posts like this. If anyone would like to give me a hand in compiling one solid, wikified thread that has preorder comparisons for all the upcoming games, please PM me and we can get something working.

3/5/13
TOMB RAIDER (X360/PS3)

Amazon:
  • Tomb Raider: Final Hours Edition $59.99 + FSS/Prime
    • Hunter Skin: An exclusive outfit that camouflages Lara in a heavy coating of mud, action movie-style.
    • The Final Hours of Tomb Raider 'Director's Cut' eBook for Kindle
    • The Art of Tomb Raider 'Amazon Edition' Art Book (Hardcover // 32 pages)
    • Tomb Raider Scavenger Hunt access code to unlock DLC items and chances to win prizes (mobile 'geocaching-esque' app, I believe? please correct me on this)
    • Shanty Town Multiplayer Map

• Receive $5 Amazon credit off the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com (exclusions apply).
  • Exclusive codes e-mailed within 2 days of shipment. (including $5 Amazon credit)
  • Art book packaged and shipped with product.
  • Amazon will price match game to lowest cost on Amazon.com during time between preorder and the end of the day on release date.
Best Buy:
  • Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS/Pickup
    • Tomb Raider game
    • Aviatrix Skin: Dress Lara as a classic 1930s adventurer, bomber jacket and all.
    • Tomb Raider: The Beginnings Comic Book: Written by Rhianna Pratchett with cover art by Tomb Raider Art Director Brian Horton. The Beginnings is a 48-page, six-part comic book that explains how the Endurance's ill-fated voyage came to be. This special edition comic book brings together the cast and crew, including a budding young adventurer named Lara Croft, as they search for the Yamatai off Japan's East Coast. (Packages with the game.)
    • Shanty Town Multiplayer Map (thanks DeskLaser)

• $20 Reward Zone Certificate if you are a Gamer’s Club [Unlocked] member (received 30 days from date of purchase)
  • 2X Reward Zone points for new video game purchases
  • 15% off a Limited Edition guide ($32.30 + tax after discount)
    • Guide includes an exclusive 1.5" metal amulet with rope from the game, two special in-game digital downloads and a collectible hardcover strategy guide with a deluxe finish.
  • Tomb Raider Survival XBOX 360 controller ($39.99 when purchased with game)
Walmart:
  • Tomb Raider $59.96 + FS/Pickup
    • Guardian of Light download (1200 MSP / $15 value)
    • Guerrilla skin: This exclusive outfit makes Lara look like a jungle warfare guerrilla
    • Tomb Raider Scavenger Hunt code

• $4.99 VUDU Movie Credits (e-mailed)
GameStop:
  • Tomb Raider $59.96 + FS/Pickup
    • Exclusive Lost Adventurer Challenge Tomb. An exclusive tomb for Lara to raid! In this new location, Lara will encounter all new environment puzzles that will test her abilities.

• 10 points per dollar spent for PowerUp Rewards members
  • Tomb Raider Survival XBOX 360 controller $59.99
Target:
  • Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS/Pickup
    • Exclusive Target steelbook (preorder NOT required)
  • $5 Target GC after purchase

Amazon/Best Buy/Walmart/GameStop:

• Tomb Raider: Collector's Edition $99.99 + FS
    • Includes any store-specific exclusives (including Amazon)
    • Play Arts Kai Lara Croft Figurine: Fully posable figurine with over 40 points of articulation. The dirt on her body and clothes have been realistically recreated to tell the tale of Lara's fierce fight for survival on a desolate island in her first and most harrowing adventure. Comes with alternate set of 3 hands, bow and arrow, shotgun, handgun, and climbing axe. Figure Size: Approx 8.0" Tall
    • Endurance Survival Kit Packaging: Worn and weather-beaten steel tin (not a steel book) recovered from the Endurance shipwreck, and a 15" x 19" Double Sided Island Map and Poster. Discover Key Landmarks from the mysterious island of Yamati, where Lara Croft and her fellow castaways were marooned after the Endurance shipwreck. On the reverse is a poster size image of the box art that epitomizes Lara's origin story.
    • 5" x 7" heavy stock lithograph print with matte frame, designed by Crystal Dynamic's Senior Art Director, Brian Horton, painting by Brenoch Adams.
    • 3 Iron-on badges of the game's key icons (Animal Instincts, Climbing Axe, Fire Arrow)
    • Tomb Raider Original Soundtrack 'Survivalist cut'. A collection of 10 tracks totaling over 60 minutes of music from the game
    • Weapons Pack DLC
Microsoft Store:

• Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS
    • 1600 points card free with preorder from microsoftstore.com ($20 value)
      • Coupon code will be sent to email address associated with purchase within 10 days of game being shipped.
Again, if anyone has any comments, suggestions, or anything please let me know. Hope you CAGs find this useful!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSUHitman']FYI the CE is everything packaged in the tin with the cardboard sleeve on the outside showing the cover/back art.[/QUOTE]

we already know this, am i missing something?:roll:

[quote name='jrr6415sun']depends how big the artbook is. The darksiders artbook was small enough they put it inside the xbox case[/QUOTE]

That wasn't an art book - it was a mini-comic. The Darksiders II art book was included in the CE. This art book is too large to fit in a normal game case. It actually looks about the same size as the Darksiders II CE art book (one of those small hardcover sampler art books).

[quote name='diazt350']I just got my email about the final hour edition bonuses so I'm assuming that we are actually receiving it and later on they will send out the other codes for the shanty town map.

It would of been cool getting a comic book but I like collecting art books.[/QUOTE]

The CE art book is very small and it does not appear to have much in it (you can watch people thumb through it in unboxing videos of the EU CE, which include the art book). If you're into art books, this is the full version:

http://www.amazon.com/Tomb-Raider-T...1362328140&sr=8-4&keywords=tomb+raider+art+of

[quote name='Knightbloom']Does anyone know what to do with that Scavenger Hunt code that Amazon just sent out in e-mails? I already have the access code that was sent to me upon pre-ordering the game, which let me play the Scavenger Hunt game, so I have no idea what this new code does.[/QUOTE]

There's a redemption code for the DLC. You can do all the challenges, but they don't send you and DLC codes until after you submit proof of purchase (either a pic of the receipt or the code). The website sent out an email about this last weekend.

[quote name='BrandonJF']The CE art book is very small and it does not appear to have much in it (you can watch people thumb through it in unboxing videos of the EU CE, which include the art book). If you're into art books, this is the full version:

http://www.amazon.com/Tomb-Raider-T...1362328140&sr=8-4&keywords=tomb+raider+art+of[/QUOTE]

So, how do you know that this particular art book is the art book that will be released in the USA with the "final hours edition" from Amazon. ?

[quote name='TPerryoo7']So, how do you know that this particular art book is the art book that will be released in the USA with the "final hours edition" from Amazon. ?[/QUOTE]

Because Amazon has a picture of it on their site and it looks exactly the same?

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']They are saying the 360 is good do not worry it just more watered down but great gameplay. All my friends pissed i went ps3... My 109 bones for my ce. But single player is where i will be at.

I want that steel case shocked ce did not get one but the figure i rather own this time.

I hope amazon seller puts one up i am anti paypal... :( I so want it now to.
000889.jpg
[/QUOTE]

OK for clarification I just looked at the Target ad online and this pic I'm quoting is the German Steelbook artwork. If you look in the Target weekly ad thread stickied at the top of forum, that is what the Target US Steelbook looks like.

[quote name='BrandonJF']Because Amazon has a picture of it on their site and it looks exactly the same?[/QUOTE]

Hmm well again thats no confirmation. its "image not final" and "amazon edition" put it up in the air.

Has anyone who received the Scavenger hunt from Amazon does your code work? I tried putting it on the site and it says code invalid.

[quote name='diazt350']Has anyone who received the Scavenger hunt from Amazon does your code work? I tried putting it on the site and it says code invalid.[/QUOTE]

Which code is this? The access code or the redemption code? If the latter, it may not work until the 5th.

[quote name='knight19']Which code is this? The access code or the redemption code? If the latter, it may not work until the 5th.[/QUOTE]

The access code to get into the scavenger hunt.

[quote name='TPerryoo7']Hmm well again thats no confirmation. its "image not final" and "amazon edition" put it up in the air.[/QUOTE]

I guess we'll see, then. I'll bet my money on it not being a coincidence that the image they have matches the EU version.

I dunno, I pre-ordered TR awhile back from Amazon and had no issues with the access code. You may want to see if they have an email option on TR to see if they can assist.

[quote name='knight19']I dunno, I pre-ordered TR awhile back from Amazon and had no issues with the access code. You may want to see if they have an email option on TR to see if they can assist.[/QUOTE]

Ya, if you look at the scavenger hunt site and the promotion info, there's an e-mail to send your receipt if you didn't get a code or preordered from a store that doesn't print the code on the receipt. You might be able to send a jpg of your preorder confirmation or something to that e-mail and tell them that your code didn't work.

[quote name='knight19']I dunno, I pre-ordered TR awhile back from Amazon and had no issues with the access code. You may want to see if they have an email option on TR to see if they can assist.[/QUOTE]

I chatted with a Amazon Rep and they said they're going to email their marketing team and get back to me.

[quote name='diazt350']Has anyone who received the Scavenger hunt from Amazon does your code work? I tried putting it on the site and it says code invalid.[/QUOTE]
Eidos mod blew me off saying something like why didnt i try on 5th. Others in same boat mine said invalid and valid after so i bet i lost code since noted 1 time use. I mentioned the glitch they can care less. Others on site saying why you redeem now tuff luck type stuff....

There are 2 codes
1. access code to signup.
2. dlc redeem code.

Many got dlc redeem code early morning today that is the one that redeems and invalid same time i got. msg i got when redeeming it...

Invalid purchase code
Thank You for Purchasing

Watch for an email with your DLC codes!

Haven't been this excited for a game in quite awhile. Seems like one of those games that was made for me as long as the story is actually any good.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']There are 2 codes
1. access code to signup.
2. dlc redeem code.

Many got dlc redeem code early morning today that is the one that redeems and invalid same time i got. msg i got when redeeming it...

Invalid purchase code
Thank You for Purchasing

Watch for an email with your DLC codes![/QUOTE]

I didn't even get that message I just got code invalid.

What kind of codes are they giving out?

Any ideas if the guide is good? Im a sucker for hardcover guides but im contemplating in this particular one.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']Any ideas if the guide is good? Im a sucker for hardcover guides but im contemplating in this particular one.[/QUOTE]

Go for it!

[quote name='diazt350']I didn't even get that message I just got code invalid.

What kind of codes are they giving out?[/QUOTE]
Try through SH site click Menu then Unlock code or something. You redeem there and others got my msg to. I used dlc redeem code not signup access check email to see which they sent. I recommend not adding until tue.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']Get cause game is a hit and will be gone and value increase way way up. I am gonna order to now ty[/QUOTE]

Hmmm you got a point. Im just PMing amazons price when i pick up my game at bestbuy this tues. hopefully they have it

umm..... the guide has me interested. If I am able to score a copy of the games on release date, with the steelbook from target. I will probably pick it up from amazon.

Anyone know if the game from BB is double sealed? Like 2 layers of plastic, one around the case and one around the entire thing? Tempted to buy at target for SB then return the regular box there and keep the SB edition.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']Hmmm you got a point. Im just PMing amazons price when i pick up my game at bestbuy this tues. hopefully they have it[/QUOTE]
I was reading amazon comments in the forum on there. It seems like amazon started to ship 4-7 days ago and they keep running out of stock nonstop and cannot keep up. There shipments are gonna run out sooner then later. I would put money down this we be gone fast. The broken street date and amazing praises should get way more people to order it. I believe this will be one of the harder ones to find imo. If it lasts a bit longer the prices will still be insane 3rd party. I rather be safer then sorry on this gem.

[quote name='RenoVatio']Is the guide worth 19 bucks? I have a 50% off coupon for guides for joining gamer zone unlocked.[/QUOTE]
I think so but imo.

[quote name='RenoVatio']Is the guide worth 19 bucks? I have a 50% off coupon for guides for joining gamer zone unlocked.[/QUOTE]

I personally think any hard cover guide for a game I'm interested in is worth 20 bucks, easily. Go for it man, even if you don't use it all that much it's a nice collectors item.

[quote name='diazt350']I received another code for the scavenger code hopefully it works this time.

EDIT: New code didn't work[/QUOTE]
I got a new code to no go. I hope we can get on tue. I got a bad vibe for mine since i posted on the eidos forum about it and got bashed somewhat. They think i got my game early and even said i didnt.... There forum is useless for support from my exp and a huge village of trolls. Haha :lol:

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']I got a new code to no go. I hope we can get on tue. I got a bad vibe for mine since i posted on the eidos forum about it and got bashed somewhat. They think i got my game early and even said i didnt.... There forum is useless for support from my exp and a huge village of trolls. Haha :lol:[/QUOTE]

Hopefully since it's the last day to do it. Ha a lot of people are getting the games earlier some of them are just mad they have to wait haha.

[quote name='Knightbloom']Does anyone know what to do with that Scavenger Hunt code that Amazon just sent out in e-mails? I already have the access code that was sent to me upon pre-ordering the game, which let me play the Scavenger Hunt game, so I have no idea what this new code does.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='knight19']There's a redemption code for the DLC. You can do all the challenges, but they don't send you and DLC codes until after you submit proof of purchase (either a pic of the receipt or the code). The website sent out an email about this last weekend.[/QUOTE]

All of this needs to be posted in the first post, but alas, it is not wikified.

[quote name='diazt350']Hopefully since it's the last day to do it. Ha a lot of people are getting the games earlier some of them are just mad they have to wait haha.[/QUOTE]
Yeah but there is signup code and then there is a dlc unlock code which i got yest morning from amzn. The unlock code gives people dlc of what they did in SH. The 2nd code is the problem.

Also amazon is sending unlock code most times for new orders and skipping the 1st signup code. So i think people are having 2 issues so ask amazon for 1st one without that its worthless.

SH register code email looks like this.

Your recent order entitles you to a promotional code.
Your promotional code:

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Promotion details: [/SIZE][/FONT] The Amazon Video Games team thanks you for preordering "Tomb Raider." Your purchase has entitled you to a Tomb Raider Scavenger Hunt download token.
See "Your Scavenger token" above.

Redeem your code at www.tombraider.com/hunt
Additional information on this offer can be found here.
This offer is subject to Terms and Conditions.
Thanks again for shopping with us.

SH unlock code email looks like this.

Your recent order entitles you to a promotional code.
Your promotional code:

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Promotion details: [/SIZE][/FONT] The Amazon Video Games team thanks you for purchasing “Tomb Raider; The Final Hours Edition.” Here is your redemption code for the Scavenger Hunt. The Kindle Fire Edition of "The Final Hours of Tomb Raider" will be sent to you within two days of the game's release.
The other bonuses (including the Shanty Town Multiplayer Map and Lara skin) will be included with your copy of the game.
How to redeem your code (See “Your promotional code” above):
To access any DLC you earned through the Tomb Raider Scavenger Hunt, enter the promotional code at www.tombraider.com/hunt
Additional information on this offer can be found here.
This offer is subject to Terms and Conditions.
Thanks again for shopping with us.

Again you need 2 codes they did what hitman absol did with sniper challenge and i never got 2nd code. Now contact amzn asap for right ones.

2nd one not working right now have to wait for tue?

Game launches tomorrow and I of course lagged on doing anything about it. If I went to BB today, could I still get the $20 promo for pre-order? I'll have to stop after work, just wondering if anyone goes today if they could let me know.

Out of all the deals, guess I'll be the only one buying from the Microsoft store. Game Guides are pointless by and large thanks to the internet. There is nothing in those pages that wont be found on the internet. I also dont care for "kindle versions" or multiplayer skins. I do however care about 1600 M$ points that can be used to buy almost anything on xbox live.

[quote name='cold_young_thug']Out of all the deals, guess I'll be the only one buying from the Microsoft store. Game Guides are pointless by and large thanks to the internet. There is nothing in those pages that wont be found on the internet. I also dont care for "kindle versions" or multiplayer skins. I do however care about 1600 M$ points that can be used to buy almost anything on xbox live.[/QUOTE]

I think people would get guides for this just because they want the guide, not really because they feel they need to actually use it for the game.

[quote name='cold_young_thug']Out of all the deals, guess I'll be the only one buying from the Microsoft store. Game Guides are pointless by and large thanks to the internet. There is nothing in those pages that wont be found on the internet. I also dont care for "kindle versions" or multiplayer skins. I do however care about 1600 M$ points that can be used to buy almost anything on xbox live.[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you're not a BB Unlocked member since that gives you $20 back that you could use on points or anything in the store for that matter.

But yeah, unless you care about the steelbook, the MS deal is definitely the best if you aren't unlocked at BB.

[quote name='ShockandAww']I think people would get guides for this just because they want the guide, not really because they feel they need to actually use it for the game.[/QUOTE]
Yup mostly and flippers.

I can see guides for things like skyrim or amalur, but for a 10 hour long game? C'mon.. thats just milking.

[quote name='Gareee']I can see guides for things like skyrim or amalur, but for a 10 hour long game? C'mon.. thats just milking.[/QUOTE]
It is for collecting mostly i keep mine sealed unless it has dlc i want. To each there own i guess. I think fast food is a waste but most of us eat it including myself sometimes.

which version do i want? ps3 or pc? I think the graphics will be better on pc and I do have a gamepad but playing it on a big screen with a gamepad would be nice.

[quote name='keroppilee']which version do i want? ps3 or pc? I think the graphics will be better on pc and I do have a gamepad but playing it on a big screen with a gamepad would be nice.[/QUOTE]
Not a very tough choice imo. PC for the graphics. I've got mine preloaded on Steam. Just waiting for it to release.

Really I don't understand what you're saying though I guess. You can't hook up your computer with an HDMI cable to your TV? I guess if you can't for some reason that makes it a tougher choice and I'd go with PS3 for the big screen. But again, what's stopping you from hooking your computer up to your TV and having the best of both worlds?

[quote name='keroppilee']Hm....that might be a good idea. I'm just pretty lazy about hauling my tower about. I might just go with that...[/QUOTE]

Yeah I can see it being annoying (I just hook up my laptop so it's not as bad but still annoying) and I use an Xbox controller + Wireless Receiver. Big screen HDTV with a console gaming feel + computer graphics.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Not a very tough choice imo. PC for the graphics. I've got mine preloaded on Steam. Just waiting for it to release.

Really I don't understand what you're saying though I guess. You can't hook up your computer with an HDMI cable to your TV? I guess if you can't for some reason that makes it a tougher choice and I'd go with PS3 for the big screen. But again, what's stopping you from hooking your computer up to your TV and having the best of both worlds?[/QUOTE]

We hooked our media pc into our 82", and added a xbox360 controller to it mainly for skyrim, but now we are finding we are using it as much as the ps3, and are buying more discounted pc games than psn games.

If you go that route, don't even screw around with motion joy for the ps3 controller.. just buy the htf xbox360 controller for the pc.

Motionjoy works, but control is slower, and I think there's more system processing going on in the background with it as well.. when we switched to it, we noticed performance increases on skyrim.

[quote name='ShockandAww']You can't hook up your computer with an HDMI cable to your TV?[/QUOTE]

I hear this from straight PC gamers often. Now I game on all 3 platforms personally, but I don't think this is really a valid response.

Firstly it requires very specific positioning of your game-room - it also assumes that you don't want to use your TV for other things while gaming (not that consoles achieve a difference), and finally even with things like Big Picture, you really need a key-board and mouse handy which adds even more clutter to the game area. It also assumes you have a dedicated PC gaming box, and another PC for general home use and/or work - since doing something like working a spreadsheet on a 40"+ TV is ultimately way more annoying and uncomfortable than it is practical. I just find using a PC like this to be clunky and off-putting, whereas with a console, I just boot and go. Yes I'm am aware that you can have various auto-start things etc that boot directly into your PC gaming world of choice - but it still very much feels unnatural. If a game lacks full controller support then I can almost never get comfortable on a couch with a Keyboard & Mouse. Again I love all three platforms and find myself playing PC more and more these days - but I don't buy the "just hook up the PC to your TV" as an end-all be all answer to the PC / console decision making process. That might change with something like the Steam Box, but right now I think it's a fairly weak point that requires some pretty specific household requirements that a console doesn't.

bread's done
Back