Transformers Movie - DVD & HD DVD Sales Break Records

[quote name='Scorch']I think i'm seeing this for a third time on Sunday. It's just that good.[/QUOTE]
Same. To note, I first saw it on the big 100 foot screen, and the second time I saw it on a considerably smaller screen, but digitally projected. It was the first digitally projected movie I've seen, and having seen it both ways for comparison, I must say, digital looks pretty damn nice. I'll be seeing it a third, and maybe a fourth time in the first-run theater, and at least once or twice in the dollar theater. I really have come to love it, especially after seeing it a second time.

Spoilers follow for those that haven't seen it yet (quit bitching and go see it with an at least partially open mind)...and I apologize, but I'm probably going to get a bit sappy and personal and sensational here, fuckin deal with it:
I think the exact part that really knocked it out of the park for me was arrival of the rest of the Autobots, about an hour in. For me, and millions of others, these were childhood heroes of absoultely tremendous, indescribable, impossibly larger-than-life proportions. To introduce 4 of them all at once like that requires an similarly larger-than-life, epic cinematic sequence, and I think they nailed it, in the process, making for what is now one of my favorite movie sequences, from anything, ever.

And (speaking as an athiest, mind you) bless that Steve Jablonsky and the music he wrote for this scene. It's absolutely beautiful, and really makes the sequence. It really perfectly helps cast the arriving Autobots as the flawless, supremely good, and utterly heroic characters that they are supposed to be. And the chorus as Ironhide is climbing out of the pool? fucking epic. The whole thing, all together, is simply majestic.

In case anyone needs a refresher, here it is. Three of my new all-time favorite minutes, from any movie, and a really majestic scene; the arrival of the Autobots:
http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=4vd2l8n

Yeah, yeah, some of you probably think I've sensationalizing and looking too much into what you might have thought of as a cheap shot at gimmicky summertime blockbuster cinematic heroics in a movie made to sell toys, blah blah blah, but that's what that scene was to me. Absolutely wonderful. Oh, and they did a good job with the aside acknowledging that Armageddon friggin sucks. :p

Side note: whoever was in charge of putting out the soundtrack to this movie needs a slap in the face. The damn CD has all this Linkin Park and Goo Goo Dolls shit (even crap that wasn't in the movie), and not a single one of the "classics" that Bumblebee plays, or any of the film's score. Ugh. And I'll be pissed if they don't release a separate score CD. It's just too good not to be released for listening on it's own.

This sounds really chiche, I know, but this movie really managed to evoke that feeling I remember as a kid, seeing Star Wars and Indiana Jones for the first time: pure, simple, cinematic awe. That sort of imaginative freedom that these sort of movies can evoke, when done right. These are some of my favorite childhood heroes and memories, and for a couple hours, they came to genuine life. My suspension of disbelief was utterly complete (in no small part thanks to the visuals. ILM have outdone themselves again, as these are the absolute most realistic computer graphics ever created). I was able to get lost in the movie, and for just a little while, believe that the Transformers were actually inhabiting the same world as I am. Movie magic, plain and simple. That's why I love it so much. And no one, and I mean NO ONE was more surprised to end up loving this movie than I was.

Not to say that it was flawless, of course. Were I on the editing team, I would have cut a few certain bits without a moment's hesitation. The "were you masturbating?" "joke" was just lame as fuck, and Bumblebee "pissing" on the S7 agent was similarly stupid and unfunny. And I swear, I want to punch whoever was responsible for putting "Battle Without Honor or Humanity" (aka the Kill Bill song, played during the "2007 Camreo transformation" bit) in there. That song is just annoying as fuck now, after being in car commercials and all that crap. And possibly my biggest complaint, the two shitty generic nu-metal songs that play during the Bumblebee/Barricade chase, and the "I'll drive, you shoot" scene were just awful, and really cheapened those scenes. Using that garbage, instead of the score heard during other similar scenes, really robbed those two sequences of a lot of impact, I thought. And I just hate nu-metal in general. Totally ear-splitting. And lastly, why, why, WHY did they not have some version, ANY version of the classic Transformers theme playing during the credits? That was even more heinous than Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within not featuring any hint of the classic Prelude theme. Utterly stupid stupid stupid to not have that in there, when I was so looking forward to hearing some sort of version of it during the credits. I simply couldn't imagine that they wouldn't use it, but, nu-metal yet again. Bleh.

Anyways, I've managed to spiral off practically into a mini-review here, but that's how I felt about this movie. Haters, fuck off, because as far as I'm concerned, they did it. They made a (nearly) perfect live-action Transformers movie, and I, for one, loved every minute.

Oh, and I'm looking foward to the two greenlit sequels. Should make for a hell of a trilogy. For the second one, it's obvious that the setup will be the return of Starscream (PS, according to some info on one of the toys, and hints from a producer, Jazz will be resurrected somehow), and there are hints that it'll have Dinobots played in somehow, and for the third one, as far as I'm concerned, the only proper conclusion to the trilogy would be the Unicron storyline. That should make for a really spectacular conclusion, and I'd bet that's what they'll go for. Definitely looking foward to parts two and three.

holy crap, this movie was such a piece of shit. you should all be castrated for liking it. can't believe i spent money on this, fucking should have listened to shipwreck.

[quote name='AshesofWake']holy crap, this movie was such a piece of shit. you should all be castrated for liking it. can't believe i spent money on this, fucking should have listened to shipwreck.[/QUOTE]

To each their own. I'm fully aware the movie is not a "good" movie per se, but it is probably one of the most entertaining films I've seen in a couple years. IDK what you were expecting, but I went in expecting a MICHAEL BAY FILM, and I certainly got it to the nth degree. I rolled with the cheesiness, and groaned at those terrible lines probably just like you did, but I had fun with that cheesiness and the dialogue and just had a good time with the film. But yeah, we should get castrated since that is reasonable.

Also, the only larger-sized Bumblebee is the $100 Ultimate Bumblebee
http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-82419-...e=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1184301056&sr=1-4

Me? I'm just gonna get the Deluxe 08 Camaro version. The link is only $80, but that's still too much to spend. I think $60 is my cap since the 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime is that much, and I hear so is the Starscream Masterpiece that's coming to Wal-Mart later this year.

Anyways, talk toys in Linkin's toy thread! http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111043

Thought everyone might enjoy this, too:

Only spent a little while doing it, need to work on the Decepticon logo and fix the POLICE scrawl on the doors. Too bad Forza doesn't have a new S281 to work with. :(

so ..... how are we doing now? I've done my 3rd viewing. I am tempted to go to viewing number 4 and possibly viewing 5 . I saw TPM 6, count them 6 times when it came out. I don't think I can stomach transformers for a 6th viewing.

I wonder how much of the military technology used in the movie is real, we know that all the aircraft and tanks used were in use today. How about that gunship firing what was it called? "Saber Rounds?" Where can I find out more info on that?

[quote name='ITDEFX']I wonder how much of the military technology used in the movie is real, we know that all the aircraft and tanks used were in use today. How about that gunship firing what was it called? "Saber Rounds?" Where can I find out more info on that?[/quote]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabot

[quote name='ITDEFX']I saw TPM 6, count them 6 times when it came out. I don't think I can stomach transformers for a 6th viewing.[/QUOTE]
Uh, assuming I have my acronyms right here, you managed to sit through six viewings of The Phantom Menace? You are a stronger man than I, sir.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I wonder how much of the military technology used in the movie is real, we know that all the aircraft and tanks used were in use today.[/QUOTE]
I'm not really a war buff at all, but I am really into aircraft technology (and military airplanes just happen to be the most advanced in the world). I was probably one of the few people in the theater who was a big enough airplane dork to be really impressed to see not one, but two V-22 Ospreys (the Air Force only had three when they shot the film) during the opening bit in the desert.

I think the movie was mediocre. The scenes and camera movements were so rapid I cannot figure out what is happening. The humor in it was recycled pop culture. There wasn't enough of what I was wanting. I saw 300 and I got the gore/violence fix that I expected. Transformers left something to be desired in the sequences. And the Fruitless scenes that "fleshed-out" the characters were terrible. Even with a $147 million budget & Steven Spielburg as director, I feel disappointed.

[quote name='Gnuh']Even with a $147 million budget & Steven Spielburg as director, I feel disappointed.[/QUOTE]
Spielberg didn't direct Transformers, Michael Bay did. Spielberg was the executive producer.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Uh, assuming I have my acronyms right here, you managed to sit through six viewings of The Phantom Menace? You are a stronger man than I, sir.

I'm not really a war buff at all, but I am really into aircraft technology (and military airplanes just happen to be the most advanced in the world). I was probably one of the few people in the theater who was a big enough airplane dork to be really impressed to see not one, but two V-22 Ospreys (the Air Force only had three when they shot the film) during the opening bit in the desert.[/QUOTE]

yep it was the Phantom Menace. Six times during its run back in 1999. Back then the duel with Maul was the greatest battle I have seen on the silver screen. It's too bad the V-22's weren't made into decepitcons because of there rarity. Oh well blackout and starscream did fine.

[quote name='ITDEFX']yep it was the Phantom Menace. Six times during its run back in 1999. Back then the duel with Maul was the greatest battle I have seen on the silver screen. It's too bad the V-22's weren't made into decepitcons because of there rarity. Oh well blackout and starscream did fine.[/QUOTE]

You saw Phantom Menace six times? No offense......but.....that's one of the worst movies in history........IMHO.

[quote name='Kayden']Oh... that totally justifies it then.

:roll:[/QUOTE]
You...don't know much about how the military uses aircraft, do you? The Air Force aren't the only ones to use aircraft, ya see. And the Osprey, in particular, is an assault transport aircraft, for carrying troops and equipment, and this is mostly handled directly by the Army/Marines themselves, rather than through the Air Force.

FYI, the vast majority of the Ospreys on order are going to the Marine Corps, 350 or so if I remember correctly, and about 50 each are going to the Navy and Air Force. But it's really just going into production, and as mentioned, the Air Force (who they were using the Ospreys through) only had 3 when they filmed Transformers. So, yeah.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']You...don't know much about how the military uses aircraft, do you? The Air Force aren't the only ones to use aircraft, ya see. And the Osprey, in particular, is an assault transport aircraft, for carrying troops and equipment, and this is mostly handled directly by the Army/Marines themselves, rather than through the Air Force.

FYI, the vast majority of the Ospreys on order are going to the Marine Corps, 350 or so if I remember correctly, and about 50 each are going to the Navy and Air Force. But it's really just going into production, and as mentioned, the Air Force (who they were using the Ospreys through) only had 3 when they filmed Transformers. So, yeah.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. The wiki says that the Corps has three squadrons, if you believe it. I can't get a reliable source on the number of V-22s in VMH-263.

Didn't have that high of expectations for it, but damn it was one hell of a movie. Everything was just perfect to me: the action, immature but amusing jokes, sci-fi plot along with a high school romance that could have been better.

The charity auctions for the movie props are insane. I can understand $30,000 for the working Camaro, but Bumblebee's disco ball, bee air freshener & bobblehead dog are going for $5,000+. The allspark cube replica (no size is listed, but im sure its the smaller one) is going for over $40,000.

[quote name='Bezerker']The charity auctions for the movie props are insane. I can understand $30,000 for the working Camaro, but Bumblebee's disco ball, bee air freshener & bobblehead dog are going for $5,000+. The allspark cube replica (no size is listed, but im sure its the smaller one) is going for over $40,000.[/QUOTE]
It's not world-famous or anything, but Tallahassee (my hometown) is home to a world-class antique and rare car museum. Centerpieces of the collection include the 1894 Duryea (the single oldest fully-intact American-made car known to exist), the actual horse-drawn hearse that carried Abraham Lincoln to his grave, two movie Batmobiles (the ones from Batman Returns and Batman Forever), and one of the DeLoreans used in making Back to the Future, and about 80 cars of every kind from the past 100 years.

Anyways, what I'm getting at here, is that I really want them to buy that friggin' Camaro. It's screaming to be a part of the museum here. Right next to the DeLorean, I'm thinking.

I went to see it for my 2nd time last night on DLP, got there 30min before the movie started and it was fucking sold out! I bought tickets to Harry Potter instead...but as I walked towards the HP theater, we saw the Transformers one, decided to go in and try to find 2 seats...It was fucking packed...we ended up sitting on the second row of the front seat...I still enjoyed the movie though it was as awesome as I remember...We'll see how my 3rd time goes.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I went to see it for my 2nd time last night on DLP, got there 30min before the movie started and it was fucking sold out! I bought tickets to Harry Potter instead...but as I walked towards the HP theater, we saw the Transformers one, decided to go in and try to find 2 seats...It was fucking packed...we ended up sitting on the second row of the front seat...I still enjoyed the movie though it was as awesome as I remember...We'll see how my 3rd time goes.[/QUOTE]

my 3rd time was digital.... wow if they do the transfer right, those rich fuckers with BR/HD Players are in for a treat :) Oh btw, by buying a HP ticket, you just gave support to THAT movie in numbers for the weekend instead of TF..shame on you!

[quote name='ITDEFX']my 3rd time was digital.... wow if they do the transfer right, those rich fuckers with BR/HD Players are in for a treat :) Oh btw, by buying a HP ticket, you just gave support to THAT movie in numbers for the weekend instead of TF..shame on you![/QUOTE]

It was a good movie, too. Saw it at the drive-in.

[quote name='ITDEFX']uh oh..you harry potter fuckers!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=22031

however...major drop off for us :(

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6012[/QUOTE]

I hate how much emphasis people put on 2nd weekend numbers. Of course there's going to be a drop off. I'm not calling you out, I'm just saying analysts in general. I remember when Pirates 2 made $135 million the first weekend, then it made like another $60 million its second weekend, and people were like OMG 60% drop off!!!! OF COURSE there's going to be a huge drop off.

$36 million is still very respectable, and I can't tell you how many movies wish they can make that on their first weekend.

Note: Pirates 2 is one of the worst movies in the past decade. I just used it as an example.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I hate how much emphasis people put on 2nd weekend numbers. Of course there's going to be a drop off. I'm not calling you out, I'm just saying analysts in general. I remember when Pirates 2 made $135 million the first weekend, then it made like another $60 million its second weekend, and people were like OMG 60% drop off!!!! OF COURSE there's going to be a huge drop off.

$36 million is still very respectable, and I can't tell you how many movies wish they can make that on their first weekend.

Note: Pirates 2 is one of the worst movies in the past decade. I just used it as an example.[/QUOTE]

however...... how the hell do movies like pirates and shrek end up making 1 billion world wide within a few weeks?!?!?!? In order to make that amount they got to be making 100 million a week....

no fucking way!

[quote name='ITDEFX']however...... how the hell do movies like pirates and shrek end up making 1 billion world wide within a few weeks?!?!?!? In order to make that amount they got to be making 100 million a week....

no fucking way![/QUOTE]
Go here and see for yourself:
http://www.the-numbers.com

Bummer we couldn't make this #1 for the 2nd weekend...I'm sure it has to do with all those record breaking numbers in the first week, therefore everyone that wanted to see it already saw it.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Bummer we couldn't make this #1 for the 2nd weekend...I'm sure it has to do with all those record breaking numbers in the first week, therefore everyone that wanted to see it already saw it.[/QUOTE]

....and the Juggernaut known as the Harry Potter franchise.

I just saw this yesterday with a friend and it was great! I loved every minute of it. I think they did a great job. I was expecting it to disappoint but I was pleasantly surprised. Bumblebee and Optimus were great! Can't wait to get this on HD soon!

I saw it yesterday. I lost count of how many times I nerdgasmed from everything from the oldschool sound effects from when they transform to hearing Optimus' original voice.

Oh and I want that "BEE-OTCH" rear-view mirror dangly ornament :bouncy:

[quote name='Purple Flames']I saw it yesterday. I lost count of how many times I nerdgasmed from everything from the oldschool sound effects from when they transform to hearing Optimus' original voice.

Oh and I want that "BEE-OTCH" rear-view mirror dangly ornament :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

as far as I could tell during my 3 times of seeing it, I could only hear it twice in the movie the classic transformation sound...once during blackouts transformation and another one I think when bumblebee transformed to protect Sam from Barricade. I could be wrong on that one :(

[quote name='A Happy Panda']....and the Juggernaut known as the Harry Potter franchise.[/QUOTE]

I thought Spiderman, Pirates, and Shrek and possibly star wars were considered Juggernauts... damn can you imagine what would have happened if it was transformers vs star wars, who would win the summer movie season!?!!?!?!?!

[quote name='ITDEFX']I thought Spiderman, Pirates, and Shrek and possibly star wars were considered Juggernauts... damn can you imagine what would have happened if it was transformers vs star wars, who would win the summer movie season!?!!?!?!?![/QUOTE]

That would be interesting. Now I want to look up the box office numbers for SW episodes 1-3.

Also, I think you hear it 3x in the film. Once with Blackout, again with Bonecrusher, and one more time, it could be with Bumblebee.

[quote name='flybrione']Can't wait to get this on HD soon![/QUOTE]
I tell ya what, I'm going to be disappointed having to watch this in mere HD at hope. People might think 1080p is all badass, but the digitally projected version I saw of it was presented in 4Kp (I think that's what they call it; basically, about 4000 vertical pixels).

Also, the movie has made about $250 mil in the US, which is over 40 million tickets sold. There's a saturation point eventually, so of course it's gonna go down a bit. At any rate, it's still totally huge, and considering that the movie was actually cheap to make, compared to Pirates 3 and Spiderman 3, they'll definitely be going ahead with the 2 sequels they've announced.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I tell ya what, I'm going to be disappointed having to watch this in mere HD at hope. People might think 1080p is all badass, but the digitally projected version I saw of it was presented in 4Kp (I think that's what they call it; basically, about 4000 vertical pixels).

Also, the movie has made about $250 mil in the US, which is over 40 million tickets sold. There's a saturation point eventually, so of course it's gonna go down a bit. At any rate, it's still totally huge, and considering that the movie was actually cheap to make, compared to Pirates 3 and Spiderman 3, they'll definitely be going ahead with the 2 sequels they've announced.[/QUOTE]

just be thankful that this wasn't an all CGI film (TMNT 2007)... my guess is that if the movie made enough to break even, then the sequels would have been CGI only :(
Since it made it's money back PLUS enough to make another one of the same budget or more, then Live Action here we come! Hopefully in 2009!

[quote name='ITDEFX']as far as I could tell during my 3 times of seeing it, I could only hear it twice in the movie the classic transformation sound...once during blackouts transformation and another one I think when bumblebee transformed to protect Sam from Barricade. I could be wrong on that one :([/quote]

True they didn't play it that many times, but the few times I heard it I marked out.

Well, finally saw it over the weekend, picked the perfect time to see it. 11:30 in the morning, no whiny ass kids & everyone was quiet.

Kinda shocked that how easily Megatron ripped Jazz in half. BTW, what the heck is up with their spark bleeding out when they die? That just seems weird.

As for other news, the guy who did Bumblebee's voice has confirmed a prequel part on the DVD. It covers Bumblebee before he goes to earth and before his voicebox is damage. He also confirmed they're already working on the sequel, although that was a no-brainer.

[quote name='Purple Flames']I saw it yesterday. I lost count of how many times I nerdgasmed from everything from the oldschool sound effects from when they transform to hearing Optimus' original voice.

Oh and I want that "BEE-OTCH" rear-view mirror dangly ornament :bouncy:[/quote]
They have been backordered everywhere I've see them, and they are going for $20-40 on eBay.

Appearently Targets carry them:
0003zh3z

00040zt0

[quote name='LinkinPrime']They have been backordered everywhere I've see them, and they are going for $20-40 on eBay.

Appearently Targets carry them:
0003zh3z

00040zt0
[/QUOTE]

oh my god, how the hell did this slip past us?!?!?!

oh well, it's only good if you have a yellow camero anyways :\

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Checkout the hotness. Lots of concept designs and pre-production images from the movie. The pics were taken from benproctor.com, but the site got so hammered, people decided to host the pics before the site crashed (which I think it did)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46406068@N00/sets/72157600890115534/[/quote]
Aw shit...I'll be making some gamertag sigs from those juicy images :drool:

On another happy note:
uesday, July 24th, 2007 8:45AM CDT
Apparently Transformers has sold really well since June. In just about 2 months worth of time since the toys were released, they have sold around 3 million units!

This has put HASBRO in a very favorable frame of mind for the second movie possibilities...

"'Transformers' has been a unique box office success. Our U.S. retail sales of [the new] Transformers toys have exceeded our expectations with 3 million units sold since the launch," Hasbro CEO Alfred Verrecchia said during a conference call with analysts to discuss the company's results.

Hasbro's "Transfomers" movie-related toys boosted the toymaker's profits and sales in the second quarter.

"It's too soon to say if there's a 'Transformers 2.' No date has been set as yet, but a second movie is possible," Verrecchia said.

Exceeeding expectations...Great job folks! We collectors are over-achievers now! I knew we had it in us.

Read the whole article here, at CNN.com.
http://seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=11227

bread's done
Back