TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console (Amazon Exclusive : Pre-orders start July 15th)

FatBoyInside

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
gdpteemblz1zjqrwmupn.jpg
 ​
regions.jpg
 ​
 ​

OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE : MARCH 19, 2020   (MSRP is $99.99)

AMAZON will be the EXCLUSIVE SELLER for this device, and pre-orders will open up on July 15th.

Konami's plug and play mini-replica system (roughly 85% of the original console's dimensions to maintain authenticity) will feature USB-enabled original-sized controller, HDMI-output, different display modes, quick save function for its pre-loaded games, and multitap accessory support (sold separately) for up to 5 players at once.  50 pre-loaded games currently announced are :

​
American Titles (English language only)
  • Air Zonk
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Bomberman ‘93
  • Bonk’s Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords Of Thunder
  • Military Madness
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • Psychosis
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I&II

PC Engine titles (Japanese language only)
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (aka Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes (SuperGrafx game)
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman ‘94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls ‘N’ Ghosts - SuperGrafx game)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I&II

Additional Turbo TG-16 mini controller - 2800 yen  (approx. $28)

Multi-tap TG-16 mini expansion accessory for 4 added controller ports - 3400 yen (approx. $34)

There are overlaps of games from the two different regions, so all titles are in their original language only.  If any other details arise, I will be sure to update this page. Cheers!

Official website is HERE

For comparison's sake, the Japanese counterpart (PC Engine Mini) will include the following exclusive titles:

• Tokimeki Memorial (Dating sim) to replace Salamander

Cool stats to noodle over : 138 licensed games were released for the Turbografx-16 in North America, with 44 of them being on the CD-format.  On the other hand, a total of 650 games were officially released commercially in Japan for the PC Engine.   

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone getting this needs a cheap power brick, the bricks that came out with the PS Classic are on clearance at GS for $3.97.

If it's relatively easy to add games, I'll go ahead and add dungeon explorer 2, kaze kiri ninja and a few others.  (legendary axe one and 2)

At this point I'm just thankful they remember Bonk.

I'm trusting you realize the site is satire, but I am fully on board for this 'Li has gone on the record that he wants a “massive body count” for Bonk '.

This plus AC and Doom on the 20th? Good lord my wife is gonna be pissed
I plan on attempting to convince my wife that I also paid for the TG16 Mini when I pre-ordered it in July. Same boat though on these, probably should wait on Doom Eternal since it will likely go on sale before AC, but I want to play it the most!

I forgot about turbografx really. I ordered it the day it went up for sale and got an extra controller.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much but I'm hoping snatcher will have english. But I dont think it will.

Ouch! Too bad it's sold out! I wanted to get one, but I wanted to wait for reviews first. Hopefully Amazon is just "cutting off" pre-orders and will open some new ones up at launch day!

I just noticed Parasol Stars & Cadash are on there. I always wanted to try those, but they never showed up on PSN or the Wii Shop Channe.

I wonder if Konami worked with Gajinworks/Working Designs to get these games or is it like Double Dragon and acclaim with the nes classic and it just reverted back to the original copyright owners, but it still says Acclaim? Either way, it's fun seeing the working designs logo on something modern! Maybe those Lunar ports will come someday afterall?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUQQ_wZrmxU

Well looks like Konami released an official statement today this will be delayed due to the Coronavirus with no date set. Bummer!

Regarding the manufacturing and shipping delays of the TurboGrafx-16 mini products due to the Coronavirus disease
(COVID-19)
We thank you for your continual support towards our products and services.

Regarding the TurboGrafx-16 mini console and its peripheral accessories, the manufacturing and shipping facilities in China have encountered an unavoidable suspension due to the current Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. As a result, the delivery of all TurboGrafx-16 mini products, which was originally scheduled for March 19th, 2020, will be delayed until further notice.

Well looks like Konami released an official statement today this will be delayed due to the Coronavirus with no date set. Bummer!

Regarding the manufacturing and shipping delays of the TurboGrafx-16 mini products due to the Coronavirus disease
(COVID-19)
We thank you for your continual support towards our products and services.

Regarding the TurboGrafx-16 mini console and its peripheral accessories, the manufacturing and shipping facilities in China have encountered an unavoidable suspension due to the current Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. As a result, the delivery of all TurboGrafx-16 mini products, which was originally scheduled for March 19th, 2020, will be delayed until further notice.
Where did you see that? I couldn't find any press releases from Konami or anything about it.

I kind of soured on this thing and still haven't pulled the trigger on ordering. Having only one controller and no power adapter is pretty lame.

But I did buy a PS1 Mini at launch, so...

Shoot. I forgot to buy an extra controller. Hope they stock some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think they are selling separate 1st party controllers, just the Hori ones. Looks like it at least has two USB ports on the front, so if you want to play with 3-5 players you will need a Hori TurboTap. Although since it is USB, it is likely any old USB Hub would do. And it is likely other USB controllers would work as well, so if you have some for other minis/PC they should work ok.

And I'm puzzled how not having a power adapter is such a big deal. Doesn't everyone have a drawer full of these already from phones/etc? I don't know the power requirements for the TG16 Mini, but the PS1 Classic also did not have one and the iPhone small ones worked just fine for it.

I kind of soured on this thing and still haven't pulled the trigger on ordering. Having only one controller and no power adapter is pretty lame.

But I did buy a PS1 Mini at launch, so...
I cancelled my preorder recently and will wait to see the modding potential and a price drop.

Reasons:

1) game list is missing games that just shouldn’t be missing such as bonk’s adventure and legendary axe

2) too expensive when missing second controller and psu (as you mentioned)

3) sega classic and ps1 classic dropped in price significantly (unlike nes/snes)

I cancelled my preorder recently and will wait to see the modding potential and a price drop.

Reasons:

1) game list is missing games that just shouldn’t be missing such as bonk’s adventure and legendary axe

3) sega classic and ps1 classic dropped in price significantly (unlike nes/snes)
Legendary Axe is an unexplainable mistake, but I kinda like that they didn't fill the list with sequels to a smaller set of games. And it has Bonk's Revenge which is arguably the best Bonk.

Reasons:

I agree that it is missing some games that should have been included, but the overall line-up is very solid. $100 also isn't too bad considering what an actual TG16 and games go for these days.

I do think this thing will drop in price at some point, but with it being an Amazon exclusive I don't foresee it going on sale anytime soon after the release and also imagine it would reach the prices the Genesis and PS Classics have reached.

As someone who has always wanted a TG16 and could never justify the cost or really find a lot of TG16 in general. This is the mini console I have been waiting for.

Legendary Axe is an unexplainable mistake, but I kinda like that they didn't fill the list with sequels to a smaller set of games. And it has Bonk's Revenge which is arguably the best Bonk.
Not really relevant, by my son and I have been playing the arcade version of Bonk’s adventure and that game is pretty swell...especially compared to the TG16 version.

I don’t recall Legendary Axe on Virtual Console, it’s likely the publisher Victor not offering up the license. The sequel is one of the best games on Turbo IMO.

I’m sure Amazon will have additional stock upon release. But given how niche the system is I doubt we’ll see multiple runs.

It will probably go for a few runs, but the general impression I'm getting is that this thing won't be available for years to come. Konami will cut production as soon as they get a whiff of demand falling off. They're also probably expecting this thing to do better in Japan. The PC Engine was a big deal in Japan, but little more than a footnote in North America. That's part of the reason why they're being so bold about putting Japanese-language only games on this device. They know where this retro console is likely to be more popular.

It's possible that it will get over-produced and go on sale for cheaps in a few months. But I don't think we'll see the same situation we did with the Playstation Classic. Konami doesn't have as deep of pockets as Sony. They aren't going to be looking to flood the market with these things. And they have the PS Classic as an example of what can happen if they go too hard on supply too quickly.

I forgot I pre-ordered this last summer. I bought the Genesis mini at launch thinking it was going to sell out eventually. Now we all know how cheap it got at GS and other stores these past few weeks. I regret paying full price for it. I am thinking this TG mini will be around long enough for clearance deals as well.

Edit -  I just saw the news about the delay but I don't think that will cause the production numbers of this thing to be lower in the long run.

The problem is, Konami is selling exclusively through Amazon and have preorders to gauge production - which is now delayed anyway. This is one machine that may not stay available, even if it does NOT sell well.

Two of the best/interesting games on this console have to be the legend of valkyrie &ninja gaiden.

Ninja gaiden is a tg16 port of the nes ninja gaiden, but it has a whole new soundtrack! (give it a listen on youtube when you get the chance)

the legend of valkyrie is a port of the 1989 jp only arcade game. It looks fantastic, and shows clever zelda a link to the past styled game design elements before alttp even came out in 1991 in japan! If you can't get this version or are skipping the tg16 mini, you can play the arcade version on Namco Museum® Vol. 5 (PSOne Classic) for $6 from the playstation store.

I didn't expect this to sell out. Hopefully they'll have additional pre-orders before it's released or at least additional stock to purchase later.

Yeah, but why have Revenge and Air Zonk and not the first game? That's just dumb.
Air Zonk is a completely different genre and Revenge is typically considered the best Bonk (given the choice of the three, people that have played them would likely choose that one).

Personally I'm not that put out because the included list is so nice with a good variety. Sure there are misses, Bonk 1 and Legendary Axe stick out, but overall it's great and the inclusion of the Japan titles is a nice touch (especially since we missed several of their best games, notably Castlevania).

Not happy about the delay, but since it is manufactured in China and they have had to shut down many production facilities I understand it really isn't Konami's fault. I understand that the PC Engine version might have some limited number come out on time, apparently they were a bit further along on that production.

I like to collect the mini consoles, but if anyone is really anxious a Raspberry Pi 3 plays all the card, CD and Supergraphx games without flaw if you don't mind tinkering to set it up and you don't have to worry about game omissions - there are plenty of guides out there on doing that. Or wait until after it comes out and I'm sure it will be hacked, although the Genesis Classic took a while so no telling how long that will take.

I didn't expect this to sell out. Hopefully they'll have additional pre-orders before it's released or at least additional stock to purchase later.
I don't think it's really sold out. Amazon tends to deactivate preorders on items like this where there is no firm release date.

I don't think it's really sold out. Amazon tends to deactivate preorders on items like this where there is no firm release date.
Well technically it did have a release date. I'll keep an eye on it though since it doesn't have one now. I would imagine we might be looking at a couple month delay. China is going through some rough stuff, but their economy cannot be out of action that long without serious problems.

I do think the TG16 mini will ultimately get harder to find overtime and I don't foresee it getting the deep discounts we've seen with the PS Classic or Genesis Mini. That being said anyone who wants one of these shouldn't have an issue getting one, Amazon will likely have them available for purchase once it does release.  

bread's done
Back