VA Tech tragedy. 33 dead. *Shooter sent photos and video to NBC*

[quote name='KaneRobot']Where are you guys hearing this number that says around 30? Most I've seen is 21 + 1 for the shooter himself.

People in news are trained to fill time however they can when details are scarce. You always see every doofus and his mother on TV when there are still a bunch of missing/unknown elements in a story.[/QUOTE]
MSNBC says "death toll in VA Tech shooting rises to 31".

There were 22 official deaths, and 28 wounded. Tragically, it seems the latter are joining the former.

31 people killed because the cops and the school is shit.

The gunman killed one person at 7:15am, then killed 30 more three hours later?! WHere the fuck were the cops?! One student that heard about the 7:15 killing was heading to class when he heard gunshots because they let up the lockdown for a little while. What the fuck was going on at this school?

And what are we going to do ban hand guns? :roll:

Where they have done that crime has gone through the roof! Everyone should have a handgun that isn't crazy so when some asshole liek this comes we can pull it out and blow them away.

fuck, I can't believe one guy got that many people. something's just not right about that (in terms of logistics)

This is awful. Man, this kind of thing makes me wish there was a real-life "Dexter" to cleanse the world of these evil, cowardly, low-life fuck s.

[quote name='JJSP']MSNBC says "death toll in VA Tech shooting rises to 31".

There were 22 official deaths, and 28 wounded. Tragically, it seems the latter are joining the former.[/quote]

CNN is saying it's 31 as well.

[quote name='dragonreborn23']Holy Shit. I don't care what your beliefs. This has to make people think about gun control. I mean this one guy kills over 30 people possibly with just a couple of handguns?? Yeah, yeah people kill people, but you sure as shit aren't going to kill 30 people with a knife.[/quote]The bad, crazy guys will get their guns no matter what the laws are. How about LESS gun control. Would this guy have the balls to kill all these people if he thought half of them were just as strapped as he was? Gun "control" only gives the bad guys the advantage.

[quote name='Whambamm']This is just completely fucked. I remember growing up listening to stories from my parents about the Charles Whitman shootings here at UT, since they were both attending UT when it happened. What could possibly motivate someone to do something so god awful?[/QUOTE]

Video games. I'm sure Jack Thompson is sitting at home watering at the mouth, if not making arrangements to be air dropped in.

[quote name='evilmax17']Picture from CNN front page:
newt1.vatech.mon.14.ap.jpg

Is that guy dead? It appears so, and that's kind of in poor taste.[/QUOTE]

You don't rush dead folks out of a hazard zone like that, you leave them until after it's over and take them out in body bags after forensics is finished with them. So, no, most likely he's not dead.

[quote name='Scorch']It's CNN. During Katrina, they were showing pictures of bodies floating in the water. I shot an email to the dude controlling the site and mentioned how poor in taste it was, etc.. it was gone about five minutes after I sent my email.. i'd like to think my email did it, but I know they rotate pictures like every five minutes.

I really hate what the media has become, I really do[/QUOTE]

They have a responsibility to report the news, no matter how unsettling it might be. That said, there is a line the editorial staff has to walk between covering a hard story and being exploitive (note how in suicide bombings they rarely show the streets covered in body parts, the footage exists but they make the choice not to show it). With Katrina there were dead bodies on TV all day, every day for weeks. To not cover the human tragedy would have lessened the impact of the situation.

What the FARK.... I come home from class and a midterm exam, and I thought I had a crappy week coming up for me because I have this brutal midterm on Wednesday as well. And then I see that this shit happened. This really puts shit into perspective for me. Seriously, what the fuck... This is terrible. I really don't know what else to say. My heart goes out to all affected.

[quote name='David85']31 people killed because the cops and the school is shit.

The gunman killed one person at 7:15am, then killed 30 more three hours later?! WHere the fuck were the cops?! One student that heard about the 7:15 killing was heading to class when he heard gunshots because they let up the lockdown for a little while. What the fuck was going on at this school?

And what are we going to do ban hand guns? :roll:

Where they have done that crime has gone through the roof! Everyone should have a handgun that isn't crazy so when some asshole liek this comes we can pull it out and blow them away.[/quote]

If you look at the number of gun deaths by country, you are completely wrong. You're right in that you can't ban guns in just a few places because there would still be places nearby with guns. Obviously that doesn't work. You would need a country wide ban, not a state by state decision. I'm just saying, nobody is going to walk into school and be able to kill 30 people with a knife. He or she would be overpowered before then.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']The bad, crazy guys will get their guns no matter what the laws are. How about LESS gun control. Would this guy have the balls to kill all these people if he thought half of them were just as strapped as he was? Gun "control" only gives the bad guys the advantage.[/QUOTE]

Considerably more people die every year from gun accidents then from intentional shootings. Arming more people would only lead to more accidental deaths, which would be a higher annual number then freak incidents like this could ever kill.

It's the 21st century, not the 19th. We don't live in a wild west society anymore, thankfully.

Look at the numbers for gun crime in the UK, they have gone up 300%.

You can not ban guns, why? Because when you do only the bad guys have guns. Banning guns will do nothing. Last I checked shooting people in a school was illegal, yet people still find ways to do it. You ban guns then all you do is increase crime because then the criminals will buy and sell guns on the black market.

Everyone should have a handgun, that way he can just start shooting back at the wackos.

And it's way above the worst campus shooting in US history.

I completely understand rifles and shotguns for hunting. However, there is only one thing you kill with a 17 round, semi automatic handgun. That thing is made for killing people. Plain and simple.

For some reason, I'm just desensitized to this entire thing. Probably because it's happened so often over the past ten years, that even with all the media news blasts, it's just something that's expected to happen every now and then. It's like an earthquake or tornado. It's tragic, yeah, but it happens. I feel sorry for all the families of the victims and I hope that something like this doesn't happen again, but I inately know that will.

For everyone that is going to be offended by my comments, I'd like to apologize ahead of time. I have a deeply fatalistic philosophy when it comes to tragedies like this which is tantamount to 'shit happens - now how are you going to handle it?'

I just found out about this about 15 minutes ago (I'm at work) Wow. So horrible. I still can't believe he killed once and then again hours later. That's ridiculous.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Videogames made him do it. Jack Thompson will have a field day. He really does get off when shit like this happens.[/quote]

No. He did it because they called him 'yellow'.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']For some reason, I'm just desensitized to this entire thing. Probably because it's happened so often over the past ten years, that even with all the media news blasts, it's just something that's expected to happen every now and then. It's like an earthquake or tornado. It's tragic, yeah, but it happens. I feel sorry for all the families of the victims and I hope that something like this doesn't happen again, but I inately know that will.

For everyone that is going to be offended by my comments, I'd like to apologize ahead of time. I have a deeply fatalistic philosophy when it comes to tragedies like this which is tantamount to 'shit happens - now how are you going to handle it?'[/quote]
I know where you are coming from. Kids growing up today, and the rest of us in our 20s and 30s, have really experienced and been exposed to a lot of horrible tragedies, as well as more violence present in society/media in general, and while they are all tragic and horrible and unjust, and we recognize it as such, we are truly desensitized. I don't think your comments are offensive. It's an unfortunate reality that we have that has led us to be so desensitized.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Videogames made him do it. Jack Thompson will have a field day. He really does get off when shit like this happens.[/quote]

I seriously hope he keeps his nose out of this. It's bad enough as it is, he doesn't need to butt in where he doesn't belong.

Holy shit, some Something Awful poster's brother was IN A CLASSROOM WITH THE GUNMAN.
sugad posted:

Aim convo with my brother:

ME (1:08:03 PM): so he came into your class?
Bro(1:08:08 PM): yeah
Bro(1:08:17 PM): i didnt think there was any way id live
Bro(1:08:52 PM): he finally left and me and the one other guy that wasnt shot ran to the door and held it shut
Bro(1:09:04 PM): and he tried to come back in and was shooting through the door
me(1:09:27 PM): holy poo poo
me(1:09:48 PM): what kind of gun was it
Bro(1:09:55 PM): pistol
Me(1:09:52 PM): and did he line people up
Bro(1:10:08 PM): no just shooting at people on the ground
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2432530&perpage=40&pagenumber=19

This is just terrible...

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Videogames made him do it. Jack Thompson will have a field day. He really does get off when shit like this happens.[/QUOTE]

I told my mom that before more than one died. By tomrrow people will blame video games and make up shit to make it look like that.

And handguns are for killing people. if the students or teachers had handguns they could have shot this asshole. Do you people really think that this wouldn't have happened if guns were banned? If you do than you are just and ignorant fool.

Worst shooting in US history.

[quote name='moiety']I know where you are coming from. Kids growing up today, and the rest of us in our 20s and 30s, have really experienced and been exposed to a lot of horrible tragedies, as well as more violence present in society/media in general, and while they are all tragic and horrible and unjust, and we recognize it as such, we are truly desensitized. I don't think your comments are offensive. It's an unfortunate reality that we have that has led us to be so desensitized.[/QUOTE]

I don't feel desensitized.

As a matter of fact, if anything desensitizes me it's the lack of graphic footage. In my case, while I've always been against the Iraq War, seeing photos of civilian casualties, of child/infant casualties, and American casualties *really* hit home what the reality of war is in a way that a media ban on even flag-covered coffins can't arouse. War isn't pretty, and the reality that it isn't pretty is purposefully withheld from us. I don't think that it is done intentionally to keep support for the war up, but it certainly has that effect indirectly.

I'm not trying to debate the Iraq War here, but, rather, use it as a frame of reference to show how I not only think that people aren't desensitized by images or occurrences (if people are desensitized at all, it's probably due to their not paying attention to current events, instead preferring to pick out hot clothes, play Guitar Hero, or watch ESPN instead), but I think the opposite: if newscasts began to show the stark reality of situations, I imagine people would become more outraged.

"Some students are wondering why it took more than 2 hours to find the shooter" - News Reporter

There's a fucking thought!

[quote name='Chacrana']Jack Thompson is talking on Fox News. And relating this to Columbine and entertainment already.[/QUOTE]

What a sick fucko.

[quote name='David85']What a sick fucko.[/QUOTE]

Seriously. He comes out of nowhere with his instantaneous "games are the problem" and perhaps most depressingly, Fox News refers to him as a "School Shooting Expert." Expert, my ass.

This tragedy hits home to me because I have been on that campus and I know people there. A lot of the people I work with have children that attend classes and one was in the building where the shooter was shooting at the time.

[quote name='Chacrana']Jack Thompson is talking on Fox News. And relating this to Columbine and entertainment already.[/QUOTE]
Are you fucking serious? Already? What a fucking classless asshole.

Oh for fuck's sake, now he's talking about how "nobody is safe" and how we're all at risk. Kiss your kids goodbye when you send them to school.

This idiot comes on FOX NEWS and turns a tragedy into a way to further his political agenda

He just spent 10 minutes with a reporter talking about how video games are the reason why this just happened, and quoted a bunch of different incidents [Germany, Half Life, Paduka, Doom, Charleston, Grand Theft Auto]

God, people just died, hundreds are scared, and this fucking lunatic, instead of wishing people well and offering any help he can give, no, he goes on NATIONAL news and starts trying to convince people video games are behind it at all

I've never felt a shred of hatred for Jack Thompson, but this pushes me over the edge, someone should find him and pop 29 caps into his body and see if he can blame video games then.

And as for the incident itself, oh my god, not exactly the type of news I wanted to wake up to, I hope no CAGS were involved though.

I really want to take the "well, no shit, a classless guy for a classless network," but I know I'll eat my words within the hour as Thompson assuredly makes appearances on CNN and MSNBC.

Just watched that and all I can say if fuck fox news and the anchor that ended with saying Jack's statements were "eloquently put". I can't believe Jack almost started to cry when he had to mention his own 14 year old.

[quote name='Chacrana']Jack Thompson is talking on Fox News. And relating this to Columbine and entertainment already.[/quote]

That's unreal.

My heart goes out to everyone who is affected by this. I still haven't heard if my friend is OK but I'd like to believe that with such a large campus the odds are in favor of her being safe.

[quote name='Chacrana']Seriously. He comes out of nowhere with his instantaneous "games are the problem" and perhaps most depressingly, Fox News refers to him as a "School Shooting Expert." Expert, my ass.[/quote]

Ugh, what a fuck tard. So what school did he shoot up to become an expert? Oh right, he must've been playing Postal.

Seriously, you know this Jack(ass) has CNN and his police scanners on 24/7 just so he can jump on shit like this.

And fuck the media for having this egomaniac on their speed dial....

[quote name='Chacrana']Seriously. He comes out of nowhere with his instantaneous "games are the problem" and perhaps most depressingly, Fox News refers to him as a "School Shooting Expert." Expert, my ass.[/QUOTE]

By Fox "News" standards he is an expert.

"The students train for this with Doom!"

Does he know that Doom takes place in hell and you kill devils?

fucking jackass. Why can't that asshole of assholes get fucking killed!

[quote name='javeryh']That's unreal.

My heart goes out to everyone who is affected by this. I still haven't heard if my friend is OK but I'd like to believe that with such a large campus the odds are in favor of her being safe.[/QUOTE]

28,000 person campus? Not accounting for nonstudents on campus, nor those who wouldn't be on campus on a Monday morning, it's a little larger than a 1 in 1,000 chance.

[quote name='mykevermin']I don't feel desensitized.

As a matter of fact, if anything desensitizes me it's the lack of graphic footage. In my case, while I've always been against the Iraq War, seeing photos of civilian casualties, of child/infant casualties, and American casualties *really* hit home what the reality of war is in a way that a media ban on even flag-covered coffins can't arouse. War isn't pretty, and the reality that it isn't pretty is purposefully withheld from us. I don't think that it is done intentionally to keep support for the war up, but it certainly has that effect indirectly.

I'm not trying to debate the Iraq War here, but, rather, use it as a frame of reference to show how I not only think that people aren't desensitized by images or occurrences (if people are desensitized at all, it's probably due to their not paying attention to current events, instead preferring to pick out hot clothes, play Guitar Hero, or watch ESPN instead), but I think the opposite: if newscasts began to show the stark reality of situations, I imagine people would become more outraged.[/quote]

European news shows almost everything and look at their attitudes.

I think there is something to the fact that in America only Hollywood violence is shown, and the real aftermath of violence is seldom observed.

It went back up to 32 dead right now, according to Fox News. "The numbers may change" as people are in surgery though.

Also, Jack Thompson blamed COUNTER STRIKE. saying the shooter in Germany trained for it with the game.

I'm pretty sure he ran in strafing, relaying his team mates, and did it all to capture the flag

God, this is just mind blowing.

[quote name='David85']
And handguns are for killing people. if the students or teachers had handguns they could have shot this asshole. Do you people really think that this wouldn't have happened if guns were banned? If you do than you are just and ignorant fool.[/QUOTE]

You're throwing the baby out with the bath water. These things are freak incidents, and the risk of them happening is SOOOO much less then the risk of allowing MORE people to walk around with guns on them it's nearly incalculable.

It never ceases to amaze me when people (Jack) try to find all sorts of influences to blame instead of the actual fucking person in regards to homicides.

This Just In!!!!

The killer had an Xbox with Halo 2 in the drive. Videogames made him do it.

Here's a big fuck YOU to Jack Thompson. I wish that guy would just go away.

God dammit. One of the greatest tragedies of our time is unfolding in front of us and someone is already trying to minimize it by making it into an issue. I don't know what's worse, that or the fact that nobody will give this shooting another thought in a month after it's out of the news cycle.

bread's done
Back