VA Tech tragedy. 33 dead. *Shooter sent photos and video to NBC*

[quote name='Cheese']You're throwing the baby out with the bath water. These things are freak incidents, and the risk of them happening is SOOOO much less then the risk of allowing MORE people to walk around with guns on them it's nearly incalculable.[/quote]

Evidence?

I've never seen a 32 person killing-spree at a gun show. Yet the worst tragedies happen in "gun-free" zones.

[quote name='camoor']Evidence?

I've never seen a 32 person killing-spree at a gun show. Yet the worst tragedies happen in "gun-free" zones.[/QUOTE]

As I mentioned earlier, the overwhelming gun deaths every year are accidental, so more people carrying guns would mean: more accidental deaths X the more people packing. People carrying guns would lead to every argument, every bar fight, every act of adultery, every traffic accident, every dude just pissed you off into a potential murder. Talk to any cop, they are the first to raise their hands for MORE gun control. Tiered permits, background checks, waiting periods, etc. are all reasonable things to ask in 21st century America.

Why do these things happen at schools? I dunno, maybe because young people are overly emotional by nature? They happen everywhere though, I can remember three or four at fast food joints in the 80's, and spree killings have been happening long before any sort of gun control was ever instituted.

[quote name='Apossum']fuck, I can't believe one guy got that many people. something's just not right about that (in terms of logistics)[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the number is inflated, if not flat-out exagerated.

At this point the only thing known is that he used at least 2 9mm were found. It seems like they haven't identified the guy yet. They're also not saying whether he offed himself, or if the cops did it. Hell, they don't even know if it was the same guy (there's concern that someone else might have been involved).

Can you guys let the bodies at least get cold before turning this into a fucking argument over gun control?

On the other incredibly horrific news front, all the news media outlets are solicting students for photos and video taken at the school. The whole reaction by the press is making me violently ill right now.

[quote name='furyk']

On the other incredibly horrific news front, Fox is solicting students for photos and video taken at the school. The whole reaction by the press is making me violently ill right now.[/QUOTE]

All of the media outlets are doing that.

[quote name='Chacrana']Is the press conference at 430 EST? or was it 415?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it's est. Bush just came on, made some pretty generic comments, then left.

Not on yet, 4:30 it is.

[quote name='rodeojones903']All of the media outlets are doing that.[/QUOTE]

Noted and edited. I just switched on Fox, flipped channels a bit, landed on a local religious channel blaming it on people for allowing immigrants and abortions in the US, and promptly turned off the tv. I'm feeling completely lost with this whole situation. Part of me wants to find out what happened despite my disgust while the other part of me wants to just turn off everything and sleep from the absolute despair I'm feeling. I hope everyone's friends and family at VT made it through today alright. I also hope every CAG at VT is safe, but it's at the point where I'd be amazed if that's the case.

Jack Thompson isn't the only self-aggrandizing douche taking advantage of this tradgedy to advance his cause....

Fred Phelps has already announced he will be picketing the funerals of these students. What a cunt.

[quote name='geko29']Jack Thompson isn't the only self-aggrandizing douche taking advantage of this tradgedy to advance his cause....

Fred Phelps has already announced he will be picketing the funerals of these students. What a cunt.[/QUOTE]

Who the hell is this guy?

[quote name='geko29']Jack Thompson isn't the only self-aggrandizing douche taking advantage of this tradgedy to advance his cause....

Fred Phelps has already announced he will be picketing the funerals of these students. What a cunt.[/QUOTE]
both of them can suck a dick

Holy shit. Fred Phelps is going to get owned. A 10k college campus vs 20 of his family is not going to end well.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Who the hell is this guy?[/quote]
Short version:

He started godhatesfags.com (and apparently now godhatesamerica.com), and routinely pickets GLBT events and funerals.

A few years ago, he started picketing/protesting the funerals of US servicemen, saying this is the consequences of allowing gays to live and have freedoms here.

Now apparently these students are to blame too....:bomb:

To sum it up, he's just the sort of vermin you wish you could kill slowly with your bare hands. And then do it over and over again. I only hope one of the family members cuts his fucking head off on live TV.

Poor kids... this school is 300 miles away from mine... We had a power outtage today and ours closed. It was eerie seeing the place empty at 3:00 on a Monday. Strange day indeed.

[quote name='geko29']Short version:

He started godhatesfags.com (and apparently now godhatesamerica.com), and routinely pickets GLBT events and funerals.

A few years ago, he started picketing/protesting the funerals of US servicemen, saying this is the consequences of allowing gays to live and have freedoms here.

Now apparently these students are to blame too....:bomb:

To sum it up, he's just the sort of vermin you wish you could kill slowly with your bare hands. And then do it over and over again. I only hope one of the family members cuts his fucking head off.[/QUOTE]

Oh great, just another jackass with a hard-on for attention, just what the world needs.

This situation is pretty fucked up. It's too bad so many innocent people had to die because of some nutjob.

One thing that bothers me is that the guy supposedly used two handguns. How come, nobody tried to grab him before he shot more people? I know there was a panic, but a mob of people could have taken him down easily. Also, I'm surprised he was able to kill and wound so many with only handguns. Was his aim that good, were the people too crowded together, or were they all just too stupid?

I can't wait for politicians and company to spin this to the public and pass some ridiculous laws that don't actually do anything. :roll:

I just hope videogames aren't found somewhere linked to this guy. If they do expect government regulation of games. I don't think the industry can overcome this one if games are tied in.

Jesus, what the hell is wrong with these fuckers who do this kind of shit. Of course it had to happen in the engineering building.

[quote name='Scrubking']I just hope videogames aren't found somewhere linked to this guy. If they do expect government regulation of games. I don't think the industry can overcome this one if games are tied in.[/QUOTE]

Good luck finding a male in college that has not played a game atleast one. It will be tied back to games/movies/music no matter what. The blame has to go somewhere.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Good luck finding a male in college that has not played a game atleast one. It will be tied back to games/movies/music no matter what. The blame has to go somewhere.[/quote]

It's easy to blame it on an faceless industry moreso than face the facts that the slow collapse of the American household and the deteriation of the term "family" is at fault. This is America, after all.

The shooter was killed but I don't think there has been confirmation on whether he was killed in a shootout with the SWAT force or if he turned the gun on himself.

There was a press release from the White House too (check it up on Yahoo News) that mentioned a bit of sympathy about the right to bear arms, but obviously this was the wrong intention. I think it's just a poor move to quote that during a time like this, even if it is in the Constitution.

[quote name='opportunity777']This situation is pretty fucked up. It's too bad so many innocent people had to die because of some nutjob.

One thing that bothers me is that the guy supposedly used two handguns. How come, nobody tried to grab him before he shot more people? I know there was a panic, but a mob of people could have taken him down easily. Also, I'm surprised he was able to kill and wound so many with only handguns. Was his aim that good, were the people too crowded together, or were they all just too stupid?

I can't wait for politicians and company to spin this to the public and pass some ridiculous laws that don't actually do anything. :roll:[/QUOTE]

He probably targeted Norris 136, that classroom holds approx 300 people and there is a "hidden" back entrance; you could enter it and have guns out without anyone other than the professor noticing. The seats are in theater style in that room. Not confirmed, but I think this is what happend.

[quote name='opportunity777']One thing that bothers me is that the guy supposedly used two handguns. How come, nobody tried to grab him before he shot more people? I know there was a panic, but a mob of people could have taken him down easily. Also, I'm surprised he was able to kill and wound so many with only handguns. Was his aim that good, were the people too crowded together, or were they all just too stupid?[/quote]

Even if I had 100 people behind me I'm not going to be the first one to bum rush a guy with loaded guns that he obviously had no reservations about firing. Also, no one was stupid for not trying to be a hero - they were all probably scared shitless. It's not a Die Hard movie.

Apparently this was all over a girlfriend issue... Breaking up with him? Cheating on him? Cutting his balls off? I cannot tell you. Either way, had he waited just 4 days he could've done this on the anniversary of Columbine, and the media could've jacked-off all over that.

This whole incident is really freaking me out, considering my school has also recieved several bomb threats scheduled for this Thursday. This makes it seem a lot more real.

What channel is CNN by the way. I'd like to be watching this.

[quote name='Scrubking']I just hope videogames aren't found somewhere linked to this guy. If they do expect government regulation of games. I don't think the industry can overcome this one if games are tied in.[/quote]

I second that.

Something will definetly be done if they find this guy had a ton of violent games in his house. Unfortunetly, I'm betting that they will :???:

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Apparently this was all over a girlfriend issue... Breaking up with him? Cheating on him? Cutting his balls off? I cannot tell you. Either way, had he waited just 4 days he could've done this on the anniversary of Columbine, and the media could've jacked-off all over that.[/quote]

They'll find a way to connect it. If Jackoff can connect it to videogames right after it happens, the media can connect it to Columbine easily.

[quote name='javeryh']Even if I had 100 people behind me I'm not going to be the first one to bum rush a guy with loaded guns that he obviously had no reservations about firing. Also, no one was stupid for not trying to be a hero - they were all probably scared shitless. It's not a Die Hard movie.[/quote]

Seriously. I couldn't imagine what I would or woulnd't do, and I never want to be in the situation to find out.

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']They'll find a way to connect it. If Jackoff can connect it to videogames right after it happens, the media can connect it to Columbine easily.[/quote]

Oh just by being on the same planet it's already connected, the same month makes it worse, and being in the same week to the anniversary, well :joystick: :joystick: look at 'em go. I think I'm going to do myself a favor and leave the TV off the news for the rest of the day.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Seriously. I couldn't imagine what I would or woulnd't do, and I never want to be in the situation to find out.[/quote]

I can't help but think of it, but when you're actually put in that situation, everything changes. We all dream, think of something as to how you handled it in that dream (assuming it is a realistic dream) and ideally how you'd handle it. Hopefully that's the closest any of us ever come to directly dealing with any sort of life or death situation.

Anyhow, I'd hide, flee, seek refuge, no way in hell I'd try to pull an Akeem on the shooter in a situation like that. Who would?

This guy is a p.o.s. The media is going to blame everything but the shooter. The society hates putting blame on the actually person.

I feel bad for the families and friends.

P.S. I wish hell did exist so network news people and Jack T could go there.

Is anyone else watching the interview? Those guys should just hang a guilty sign around their necks the way the reporters are attacking them. I love how they keep asking the same questions over and over hoping that they will say the wrong thing.

I can already see massive firings at the police department and the college.

[quote name='evanft']Um, has it been posted yet that Jack Thompson was already on Fox News blaming this on video games.[/quote]

Yes, and Fred Phelps said that it was the students faults that they got killed.

[quote name='evanft']Um, has it been posted yet that Jack Thompson was already on Fox News blaming this on video games?[/QUOTE]

Yeah.... it was low even for Jack.

Anyway, this interview is basically a joke now...

[quote name='Scrubking']Is anyone else watching the interview? Those guys should just hang a guilty sign around their necks the way the reporters are attacking them. I love how they keep asking the same questions over and over hoping that they will say the wrong thing.

I can already see massive firings at the police department and the college.[/QUOTE]

Yeah- and they deserve the attacks and firings. The first shooting happend at 7:15, I left my apartment at 8:30, the second shooting happened at 9:15, and when i checked my e-mail, the first thing from the university was sent at 9:26:03 . . . thats ridiculous.

[quote name='Cheese']As I mentioned earlier, the overwhelming gun deaths every year are accidental, so more people carrying guns would mean: more accidental deaths X the more people packing. People carrying guns would lead to every argument, every bar fight, every act of adultery, every traffic accident, every dude just pissed you off into a potential murder. Talk to any cop, they are the first to raise their hands for MORE gun control. Tiered permits, background checks, waiting periods, etc. are all reasonable things to ask in 21st century America.

Why do these things happen at schools? I dunno, maybe because young people are overly emotional by nature? They happen everywhere though, I can remember three or four at fast food joints in the 80's, and spree killings have been happening long before any sort of gun control was ever instituted.[/quote]

You make a good point - I agree that "permits, background checks, waiting periods, etc. are all reasonable things to ask in 21st century America."

And while I think the alcohol laws are outrageous (21???), I currently think that setting an appropriate age limit for gun licences is a good idea.

The yahoos who pull out a gun at "every argument, every bar fight, every act of adultery, every traffic accident" - they are the people that already have guns - I'm more concerned with responsible owners keeping guns for their security.

The fact that cops want guns out of civilians hands is an excellent arguement for the second amendment. Draconian gun control is what every government law enforcement and military organization wants - the forefathers foresaw this.

[quote name='d00k']It's so weird to think that at some point today during our normal routines, 32 people were being shot...

I'm having a hard time grasping the concept.[/quote]

not to downplay this incident but massacres happen a lot more often than you may think, this one just hits a hell of a lot closer to home

[quote name='evanft']Um, has it been posted yet that Jack Thompson was already on Fox News blaming this on video games?[/quote]
Yes. What a fucking prick. Seriously. How low can you get?

bread's done
Back