VA Tech tragedy. 33 dead. *Shooter sent photos and video to NBC*

Not to be a dick, but what does this have to do with general gaming and industry news?

Shouldn't this go into Off Topic?

I almost assumed the article would mention something about games being the cause, but it didn't.

Still a tragedy, though. Hopefully they catch the other guy.

[quote name='Roufuss']Not to be a dick, but what does this have to do with general gaming and industry news?

Shouldn't this go into Off Topic?

I almost assumed the article would mention something about games, but it didn't.

Still a tragedy, though. Hopefully they catch the other guy.[/quote]

Yeah this should be Off-topic.

I posted here by mistake. I just heard about it and forgot the forum I was in. Can a mod please move this topic to the Off-Topic forum?

Man, my brother-in-law's cousins go to the school too.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Yeah this should be Off-topic.

I posted here by mistake. I just heard about it and forgot the forum I was in. Can a mod please move this topic to the Off-Topic forum?
.[/QUOTE]

No problem, I just assumed by where you were posting it that people like Jack Thompson + others were already slinging the blame onto video games being the cause.

Was it even students who did the shootings, or an outside source?

A bomb threat too... I wonder if it's the same people?

[quote name='Roufuss']No problem, I just assumed by where you were posting it that people like Jack Thompson + others were already slinging the blame onto video games being the cause.

Was it even students who did the shootings, or an outside source?

A bomb threat too... I wonder if it's the same people?[/quote]

It's fine. I just got so worked up from hearing this since I know some people that are there that I didn't even pay attention to the forum I was in.

Video on CNN right now, lots of coverage. Something just seems so wrong about airing a video where you can hear the gun shots that are killing students, whose families may have no clue whether or not their kids are safe.

CNN needs to STOP fucking running the shooting video over and over and over!!! This is a tragedy.. but the media feeds off of this.

What scares me.. is that I was considering going to Roanoke.. and I would've likely gone to the tech school if I was heading to that area..

god this is awful.. I know one girl there, I hope she's okay..

//edit: The number is up to 25.

Guys over at SA are actually students there..

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2432530

"Gunman is lose on campus. Please stay put." from a university e-mail

An e-mail is their best form of communication with students?

And what gets me.. is that the two shootings were like three hours apart! How do they not catch someone in three hours?!

Maybe this will be the step that makes schools get more security. There's almost literally no security.. it's unbelievable

[quote name='Scorch']Guys over at SA are actually students there..

And what gets me.. is that the two shootings were like three hours apart! How do they not catch someone in three hours?!

Maybe this will be the step that makes schools get more security. There's almost literally no security.. it's unbelievable[/quote]Email is about the only way you can communicate with them outside of a campus TV station, and email is a lot more likely to be read. They can't call everyone or knock on everyone's door.

[quote name='Scorch']Guys over at SA are actually students there..

Maybe this will be the step that makes schools get more security. There's almost literally no security.. it's unbelievable[/QUOTE]

Do they have a loud-speaker? Besides that, how else would they get the word out? Do all the dorms have phones etc?

[quote name='gizmogc']Do they have a loud-speaker? Besides that, how else would they get the word out? Do all the dorms have phones etc?[/QUOTE]
There should be at least a school system set up to contact RA's. RA's would then tell everyone in their building. I know it's a flawed system (word spreads, story changes), but it's better than email since I don't think anyone's sitting by their computer in a situation like this.

WTF at MSNBC analyzing the shooter reloading and his choice of handgun.

[quote name='botticus']They can't call everyone[/quote]

They have an EMS system that broadcasts over cable but they can't make a phone line connected to the main office so they hit a button and it dials all the phones at once or, at the very least, all phones ring and it broadcasts a warning message? Bullshit.

[quote name='JJSP']There should be at least a school system set up to contact RA's. RA's would then tell everyone in their building. I know it's a flawed system (word spreads, story changes), but it's better than email since I don't think anyone's sitting by their computer in a situation like this.

WTF at MSNBC analyzing the shooter reloading and his choice of handgun.[/QUOTE]

Maybe not everyone....but if one person gets it he is sure to call his buddy's and then eventually the world would be spread. Sure, not the GREATEST thing...but its something. Sigh.

[quote name='Scorch']They have an EMS system that broadcasts over cable but they can't make a phone line connected to the main office so they hit a button and it dials all the phones at once or, at the very least, all phones ring and it broadcasts a warning message? Bullshit.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on that. I'm a long time lurker on CAG, and also a student at Virginia Tech. I just can't believe this for a bunch of reasons (small town, etc). I was on lockdown in the gym building across the street from the dorm, I've never seen such silence as we all were watching the TV.

They had police officers announcing on loudspeakers to stay inside and away from windows, from what I've read.

They now have Columbine parents speaking on MSNBC.....he is now going into how it was a conspiracy... ugh. The news reported is getting weired out...

Damn, and I thought columbine was bad. What kind of fucking gun was this guy using? That would be 4 full clips of handgun ammo. and that would be if every bullet hit it's target, and that is just for the dead people.

EDIT: They are now calling it the worst shooting in US history ever.

Reality's Fringe;2839677]Rumored Mypsace page for shooter: [URL="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=103371055 said:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=103371055[/URL]

Heroes: Ted Bundy....

Misery is the river of the world.
That's William Morva's myspace"][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[quote name='TripleH13']I agree with you on that. I'm a long time lurker on CAG, and also a student at Virginia Tech. I just can't believe this for a bunch of reasons (small town, etc). I was on lockdown in the gym building across the street from the dorm, I've never seen such silence as we all were watching the TV.[/quote]

It's good to hear that you're okay.. I hope everyone you know is safe as well.
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif] [/FONT]

Picture from CNN front page:
newt1.vatech.mon.14.ap.jpg

Is that guy dead? It appears so, and that's kind of in poor taste.

[quote name='evilmax17']Picture from CNN front page:
newt1.vatech.mon.14.ap.jpg

Is that guy dead? It appears so, and that's kind of in poor taste.[/quote]

It's CNN. During Katrina, they were showing pictures of bodies floating in the water. I shot an email to the dude controlling the site and mentioned how poor in taste it was, etc.. it was gone about five minutes after I sent my email.. i'd like to think my email did it, but I know they rotate pictures like every five minutes.

I really hate what the media has become, I really do

[quote name='Scorch']It's CNN. During Katrina, they were showing pictures of bodies floating in the water. I shot an email to the dude controlling the site and mentioned how poor in taste it was, etc.. it was gone about five minutes after I sent my email.. i'd like to think my email did it, but I know they rotate pictures like every five minutes.

I really hate what the media has become, I really do[/quote]

Yeah, this is so disgusting. The girl on MSNBC was just talking to a student that got shot in the arm, and she could barely contain her excitement as the kid recalled what happened. She even noticed how she sounded and quickly added an 'unfortunately' in a moderated tone. Disgusting.

I'm now hearing that he chained up the entrance as he went and shot people in the classrooms.. fuck

A friend texted me the VA tech news while I was in class.. I immediately got up and left and went home. It was more for fear of copycat incidents than anything else, but a good portion of it was also from feeling a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach at the fact that things like this can and do happen.

[quote name='Scorch']It's CNN. During Katrina, they were showing pictures of bodies floating in the water. I shot an email to the dude controlling the site and mentioned how poor in taste it was, etc.. it was gone about five minutes after I sent my email.. i'd like to think my email did it, but I know they rotate pictures like every five minutes.

I really hate what the media has become, I really do[/QUOTE]

I hate it, too, especially since I'm a fucking journalism student.

And yes, this is an unbelievable tragedy.

This is just completely fucked. I remember growing up listening to stories from my parents about the Charles Whitman shootings here at UT, since they were both attending UT when it happened. What could possibly motivate someone to do something so god awful?

Holy Shit. I don't care what your beliefs. This has to make people think about gun control. I mean this one guy kills over 30 people possibly with just a couple of handguns?? Yeah, yeah people kill people, but you sure as shit aren't going to kill 30 people with a knife.

this is awful. i don't know what to say.

[quote name='dragonreborn23']Holy Shit. I don't care what your beliefs. This has to make people think about gun control. I mean this one guy kills over 30 people possibly with just a couple of handguns?? Yeah, yeah people kill people, but you sure as shit aren't going to kill 30 people with a knife.[/QUOTE]

okay, lets try not to co-opt this tragedy for our beliefs just yet. go make a thread in the Versus forum if you want.

The poor taste in media hype is one thing I've learned to hate, but deal with. Given the amount of attention that Anna Nicole got, the runaway bride got, the missing girl in Aruba, ad nauseum, at least this is a genuine tragedy and something, erm, newsworthy.

What gets under my skin and irritates the everloving shit out of me is when the media (1) treats isolated incidences as indicators of a growing trend ("will your school be next?" kind of fearmongering), and (2) makes the causal attributions that are unfounded and irrelevant (see the media and Orrin Hatch's treatment of Doom II during Columbine; see also the treatment of Marilyn Manson and similar types in such incidences).

The American Sociological Association's monthly magazine, Contexts, featured a decent article taking the media to task for game-related attributions, pointing out that there is little to no research about whether or not video games, rock music, and other cultural "maladies" help coerce people to kill.

http://www.contextsmagazine.org/content_sample_v6-1.php

Where are you guys hearing this number that says around 30? Most I've seen is 21 + 1 for the shooter himself.

People in news are trained to fill time however they can when details are scarce. You always see every doofus and his mother on TV when there are still a bunch of missing/unknown elements in a story.

[quote name='Scorch']CNN needs to STOP fucking running the shooting video over and over and over!!! This is a tragedy.. but the media feeds off of this.

What scares me.. is that I was considering going to Roanoke.. and I would've likely gone to the tech school if I was heading to that area..

god this is awful.. I know one girl there, I hope she's okay..

//edit: The number is up to 25.[/quote]If you don't like the video, stop watching the frickin' news then, change the channel. I just got home from work, and hadn't seen it, so I'm glad they played it. All you hear are gunshots, you don't see dead bodies or anything. Settle the hell down.

bread's done
Back