Valkyria Chronicles - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Should be soon. You get access to them when you get to HQ for the first time.[/quote]
Thanks. Started unlocking some tabs after getting to the first battle after the HQ, but it sucks that I don't have access to them all at once.

[quote name='dallow']Thanks! Exactly what I wanted.
I was starting to wonder where the incentive to get good ranks was.

Guess I'll stick to bad ranks and getting good money/exp until I beat the game.[/quote]

You get about 20% more EXP and DCT for getting an A Rank, but sometimes, in order to get an A rank, you have to pass up an opportunity to kill an Ace and get a new weapon. The reason you can't go back and see what you earned is because getting an A-Rank doesn't mean you did the best you could possibly do, it just means that you completed your objective in the fewest possible number of turns. You should decide from mission to mission whether or not the extra experience is more important than the Ace bonus.

[quote name='SeanNOLA']You get about 20% more EXP and DCT for getting an A Rank, but sometimes, in order to get an A rank, you have to pass up an opportunity to kill an Ace and get a new weapon. The reason you can't go back and see what you earned is because getting an A-Rank doesn't mean you did the best you could possibly do, it just means that you completed your objective in the fewest possible number of turns. You should decide from mission to mission whether or not the extra experience is more important than the Ace bonus.[/quote]

Eh, I don't find getting A too important in the story missions. Once you unlock certain skirmishes that you can beat in one turn, exp is so easy to come by if you really need.

You can equip new weapons in the Squad Barracks. New weapons received from battle can only be equipped to one person, whereas weapons developed in the R&D labs can be equipped to everyone in a class.

[quote name='SeanNOLA']You can equip new weapons in the Squad Barracks. New weapons received from battle can only be equipped to one person, whereas weapons developed in the R&D labs can be equipped to everyone in a class.[/quote]

There's a third type of weapon given to you that starts around Chapter 9 I think. They're modified R&D lab weapons that can only be equipped to one person and I think they're the best weapons (well the ones you get from the last chapter or two anyways). For example, here's the best sniper rifle I have:

GSR-30R
Aim - A
Range - 1800
Vs Person - 170
Vs Armor - 100
Ammo - 3

Pretty much one-hit headshot on anything with a head and the reticle is so small that it's hard to miss.

Anybody else notice one of the initial troops you can recruit, unless it's completely random who shows up, is bisexual? This guy fancied both men and women, so I was quick to recruit him since he'll perk up no matter who he's next to.

[quote name='Draekon']There's a third type of weapon given to you that starts around Chapter 9 I think. They're modified R&D lab weapons that can only be equipped to one person and I think they're the best weapons (well the ones you get from the last chapter or two anyways). For example, here's the best sniper rifle I have:

GSR-30R
Aim - A
Range - 1800
Vs Person - 170
Vs Armor - 100
Ammo - 3

Pretty much one-hit headshot on anything with a head and the reticle is so small that it's hard to miss.[/QUOTE]

I get a bunch of crap drops (granted I'm only on chapter 6 or 7) but most of my machine gun drops are really short range and E for aim.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Anybody else notice one of the initial troops you can recruit, unless it's completely random who shows up, is bisexual? This guy fancied both men and women, so I was quick to recruit him since he'll perk up no matter who he's next to.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...hahah. I just dropped that dude for Vyse.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Finished up chapter five and this one battle per chapter trend has me wondering how many chapters there are.[/quote]

I think it was 27 chapters for the game, and some of the later chapter "I'm at Chapter Nine" Have two battles per chapter.

How's the story and acting guys? Standard crappy SRPG story or better?

I played the demo, and while I liked the gameplay, I didn't much at all of the story.

was there story in the demo?

basically a small country caught in between a war of nations, civilians become soldiers, a tale of souls and swords ensues.

[quote name='Paco']I think it was 27 chapters for the game, and some of the later chapter "I'm at Chapter Nine" Have two battles per chapter.[/quote]

There are
Story Chapters. Some chapters do have two battles per and you also have the side stories which can count as a chapter, kindof. There are a couple pretty tough battles in the game that will take some time to complete too.

[quote name='imascrub']was there story in the demo?[/quote]

Nope.

I beat Chapter 6... in 12 turns... my first D rank... and it took me over 90 minutes...

man I suck at this game >_

[quote name='SDC']http://www.valkyria-anime.com/

Anime next year. This seems to confirm that the game has been well received.[/QUOTE]

Woo! Hopefully, this means Sega can begin really turning a profit and there is enough interest for a sequel -- thus making the investment for the Canvass engine worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
so i still cant find a copy at my local CCs (48 bucks incl tax)> i bought it last week at walmart and they wont price match. i broke down and got it from amazon (50 bucks no tax) and i will just return that copy to walmart (63 bucks incl tax).

Oh man, the Imperial Prince is LeLouch Lamperouge a.k.a. Zero?!?!?!? If watching Code Geass showed me anything, Gallia is doomed!

I really like that they only let you level up classes as a whole instead of the individual units you use more often so you can focus on using the right solder for the situation and not create cliques in your squad.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Woo! Hopefully, this means Sega can begin really turning a profit and there is enough interest for a sequel -- thus making the investment for the Canvass engine worth it.[/quote]

I kinda hope they don't make a sequel... I really just hope that this becomes a subgenre, rather than a series. Like maybe they use the CANVAS engine to make a futuristic SRPG or something. Don't get me wrong, I am thoroughly in love with VC, but I am a little tired of sequels.

[quote name='SeanNOLA']I kinda hope they don't make a sequel... I really just hope that this becomes a subgenre, rather than a series. Like maybe they use the CANVAS engine to make a futuristic SRPG or something. Don't get me wrong, I am thoroughly in love with VC, but I am a little tired of sequels.[/QUOTE]

You realize that very often with RPGs, a sequel does not mean a direct sequel.

Anyone know if there's a point in capturing enemy units, or whatever you call it when you run up to a defeated soldier so their body disappears?

Just did the mission in Largo's report and part of chapter 8 and I like the little gameplay twists they've been throwing in. The
invincible murdergod Selvaria
in chapter 7 was still dumb, though.

Still only on chapter 5 i think.

As far as I know, capturing enemy units prevents them from being saved by their comrades and brought back again into the current battle and beyond. Either capturing them or if they stay there without a comrade picking him up in 3 turns will both lead to permanent incapacitation.

Oh and same thing for your own guys.

[quote name='SDC']You realize that very often with RPGs, a sequel does not mean a direct sequel.[/quote]
I'd be okay with that. I like VC's world, I just would feel bad if Gallia got dragged into war over and over again. But I also don't want Sega to be afraid to use this system in other ways too.

just got past chapter...7 or 8? Damn that was annoying...

the one where you gotta take out Lelouch's huge tank. When Selvaria came out a few of my guys got slaughtered. Had to run over a couple of my dead guys with my tank lol. Also almost lost it at the end when my tank was just within the range of Lelouch's main cannon and I was left with a sliver of hp left... whew

There's other fronts, and other countries to set a war in. ;)

Let's just hope they try some multiplayer. It'd work pretty well. If it's versus you can have the player who isn't active manage opportunity fire (and give special bonuses to managed op-fire) to give him something to do.

[quote name='imascrub']just got past chapter...7 or 8? Damn that was annoying...

the one where you gotta take out Lelouch's huge tank. When Selvaria came out a few of my guys got slaughtered. Had to run over a couple of my dead guys with my tank lol. Also almost lost it at the end when my tank was just within the range of Lelouch's main cannon and I was left with a sliver of hp left... whew
[/quote]
I beat that one, as well, and loved it though I had some freak stuff happen to cause Welk's tank to get blown up, so I knew what to do for maximum efficiency.
I just had my lancers by the top trenches when she came by and while trying to get them behind the safety of the tank in time to take out the last radiator, she killed two of my four lancers and left the other two near death. I had to use the tank, which was fully-protected at all times, to shield them from her blast so I could destroy the radiator and then blow up the tank. It was a good thing the AI didn't take her around my tank and just kill off the rest of my squad at point blank range.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I beat that one, as well, and loved it though I had some freak stuff happen to cause Welk's tank to get blown up, so I knew what to do for maximum efficiency.
I just had my lancers by the top trenches when she came by and while trying to get them behind the safety of the tank in time to take out the last radiator, she killed two of my four lancers and left the other two near death. I had to use the tank, which was fully-protected at all times, to shield them from her blast so I could destroy the radiator and then blow up the tank. It was a good thing the AI didn't take her around my tank and just kill off the rest of my squad at point blank range.
[/quote]

haha yea I was expecting her to just completely take everybody out including my tank, but I guess that wouldn't have been fair for the player lol. With the full number of CP available to them it would've only taken one turn....less than one turn lol. Hooray for the Edelweiss! After the initial slaughter, she didn't make anymore moves on me cuz I moved to the other side of the big tank and she stayed opposite. I was left with a single Lancer and an engineer, but he died due to a silly move at trying to save a fallen comrade lol. Had to call out at least one more lancer and another engineer to give them enough supplies to take on the last radiator. I used up most of the new lancer's AP trying to get in position but was still far away, so I was hoping the ranged shot would hit and thankfully it did. I had some seriously shitty luck with aim in that battle (lancers have missed on close to point blank range on the turrets -_-).

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got around to picking this up on Saturday, pming the 44.99 CC price at BB. I've been waiting for this game for over a year since I found out that there were Team Overworks' members working on the game. Sorry if this has been asked already, I didn't really read that much of the thread, but does anyone think that the cameo appearances of the two Skies of Arcadia characters may be a subliminal hint that a future SoA sequel is in the works? I consider the original SoA to be one of my favorite RPG's and a sequel would rock my world. Here's to hoping...

[quote name='darkcecil32']Finally got around to picking this up on Saturday, pming the 44.99 CC price at BB. I've been waiting for this game for over a year since I found out that there were Team Overworks' members working on the game. Sorry if this has been asked already, I didn't really read that much of the thread, but does anyone think that the cameo appearances of the two Skies of Arcadia characters may be a subliminal hint that a future SoA sequel is in the works? I consider the original SoA to be one of my favorite RPG's and a sequel would rock my world. Here's to hoping...[/quote]

Fina is kindof in there as well. She's one of the three medics, however all three of the medics are also twins. They're names are Fina, Mina, and someone else I can't remember I believe.

[quote name='imascrub']so i've never played skies of arcadia...who are the cameo appearances? I'm on Chapter 10...are they in my roster yet?[/QUOTE]

Probably. Vyse the Shocktropper and Aika the Scout, and Fina's the medic. I recommend you play SOA, the game kicks ass.

This is one of the best games I've played in years. I'm on Chapter 10 as well. Why did Sega have to release this game to remind me of the old days when pretty much all their games kicked ass? Seriously, this is the first Sega title since the death of the Dreamcast that has that old Sega magic quality I just can't put my finger on. We probably won't be seeing another game like this till 2015 at this rate.

[quote name='imascrub']so i've never played skies of arcadia...who are the cameo appearances? I'm on Chapter 10...are they in my roster yet?[/quote]

Vyse a Shocktrooper and Aika a Scout. They have the highest HP of their respective classes outside of the main characters in the game... or at least I think they do :whistle2:#

Argh, my posting skills suck.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Probably. Vyse the Shocktropper and Aika the Scout, and Fina's the medic. I recommend you play SOA, the game kicks ass.[/QUOTE]

You reminded me that I have that on Dreamcast. Never beat it though, can't remember why...

Anybody have any idea when the download content will be available? Hard Skirmish isn't challenging at all compare to the likes of Advance Wars, their score is based on average damage dealt, speed and units loss, while Valkyria Chronicles is just speed. I probably Goozex or trade it before that content comes out.

ahh I should have known Vyse was one with the funky eyepatch that didn't really match anybody else lol. I've still yet to come across Aika I think though. The latest scout i got is Cherry.

[quote name='fatbeer']Anybody have any idea when the download content will be available? Hard Skirmish isn't challenging at all compare to the likes of Advance Wars, their score is based on average damage dealt, speed and units loss, while Valkyria Chronicles is just speed. I probably Goozex or trade it before that content comes out.[/QUOTE]

It’s my sincere and distinct pleasure to let you know that we’re bringing those two content packs over to the US and European shores early next year.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008...chronicles-shipping-out-today-dlc-on-the-way/

I also just finished Chapter 7 last night. That battle was intense. Definitely one of the better games I've played in a while.

Chapter 7 is easy as fuck as long as you
get everyone on the south side of the battlefield behind the enclosed walls before you destroy the second radiator. None of the reinforcements can see you from there. I had everyone except Rosie in there at that point and she mauled all the reinforcements who came for her, and Selvaria didn't even attempt to touch her. :lol:

it took me 3 hours to beat Chapter 7 last nite -_-

strategy wise, I'm all good. I beat the stage with an A.

my issue with the game is:

Select lancer, shoot target 3 times, miss all 3 shots, use engineer to recharge lancer, miss another 3 shots, use Increase Accuracy command on lancer, STILL miss all your shots!!

yeay... had to restart that stage hella times.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Chapter 7 is easy as fuck as long as you
get everyone on the south side of the battlefield behind the enclosed walls before you destroy the second radiator. None of the reinforcements can see you from there. I had everyone except Rosie in there at that point and she mauled all the reinforcements who came for her, and Selvaria didn't even attempt to touch her. :lol:
[/quote]

That's all fine and dandy if you know they are coming...I don't like to have to play through things multiple times if I don't have to.

[quote name='whoknows']You reminded me that I have that on Dreamcast. Never beat it though, can't remember why...[/quote]
I'll tell you why. Because every freakin' five steps you take you are in some random battle. That crap annoyed the hell out of me and on top of that I was in a dungeon in which I was lost. So can you imagine the how annoying that must have been. I thought they fixed it in the gamecube version. Nope! Same crap!

[quote name='bigl523']That's all fine and dandy if you know they are coming...I don't like to have to play through things multiple times if I don't have to.[/QUOTE]

There's one battle later on
Naggiar (2)
that you will almost certainly fail the first time unless you know what's coming.

[quote name='bigl523']That's all fine and dandy if you know they are coming...I don't like to have to play through things multiple times if I don't have to.[/QUOTE]

I heard so much bitching on the interwebs about Chapter 7 that it was pretty much unavoidable for me to not know what to do.

[quote name='ricoraney']I'll tell you why. Because every freakin' five steps you take you are in some random battle. That crap annoyed the hell out of me and on top of that I was in a dungeon in which I was lost. So can you imagine the how annoying that must have been. I thought they fixed it in the gamecube version. Nope! Same crap![/QUOTE]

I dunno, the GCN version seemed to have less encounters to me, but it could just be a placebo effect. Also, most random enemies can be demolished in less than a minute once you get to a decently high level so you can perform a group attack in the first round.

[quote name='ricoraney']I'll tell you why. Because every freakin' five steps you take you are in some random battle. That crap annoyed the hell out of me and on top of that I was in a dungeon in which I was lost. So can you imagine the how annoying that must have been. I thought they fixed it in the gamecube version. Nope! Same crap![/QUOTE]

I dunno, the GCN version seemed to have less encounters to me, but it could just be a placebo effect. Also, most random enemies can be demolished in less than a minute once you get to a decently high level so you can perform a group attack in the first round.

For those wondering: The Gamecube version of Skies of Arcadia does have a lower encounter rate than the Dreamcast original, but it is still far higher than anyone would ever want.

bread's done
Back