Valkyria Chronicles - Gen. Discussion & Info

Is there a big difference when you install the game to the hard drive? Not sure whether I should do it or not. Also, can you install it even if you already played through some of the game? Thanks for any help.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Is there a big difference when you install the game to the hard drive? Not sure whether I should do it or not. Also, can you install it even if you already played through some of the game? Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]You can install the game anytime. Load times were very short when I did.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Is there a big difference when you install the game to the hard drive? Not sure whether I should do it or not. Also, can you install it even if you already played through some of the game? Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]

I played through the first mission without the install and the second with it...you can tell a difference when its loading everything up...I say its worth it.

[quote name='fatez']omg this is 49.99 right now on amazon? are u kidding me? :(

i pre-ordered this when it was 56.99[/quote]

[quote name='metaly']Wow, that's complete BS. My $56.99 copy just showed up today, too. :[

I like the game a lot so far, at least. I'm even using the English voiceover and I'm impressed by a lot of the performances. Also I'm glad that the difficulty isn't a pushover, either.

Is that Quinton Flynn voicing the old guy in the graveyard?[/quote]

[quote name='metaly']Thanks, I forgot about that. Hooray!

Too bad they don't still have their awesome low price guarantee, though.[/quote]
What, I thought you can still call them and adjust the price.
Especially if it's changed that quickly.

[quote name='dallow']How big is the install?
It's pretty quick without it after a few chapters so far.[/quote]
3344 MB. It's pretty big, but load times are a few seconds at most after it. Didn't try without the install though.

Went to circuit shitty for the game, found 4 copies. when i called they said they didnt have any.

What a joke lol. Got it though! Now to get the artbook somehow.

Not as bad as when I got it from Best Buy.

The first store couldn't find any of the copies and yet 10 were supposed to be somewhere. I drove to another store and it took them over half an hour to find it for me.

Oh well, all that matters is that I got it.

is the circuit city sale going on right now already? Thought it didn't start till tomorrow...

[quote name='dallow']What, I thought you can still call them and adjust the price.
Especially if it's changed that quickly.[/quote]

Amazon stopped doing post-release price adjustments

This artbook is rare. I don't know why but I've been to 3 different Gamestop and got the same story. First, they didn't have too many copies of the game. Second, each store only recieve at most 2 copies.

hey, did anyone else notice this but when you go to the Personal Tab and view each character, the Male characters, you can rotate and look under but the female characters are won't rotate under (anti-panty peeking?). Sega also made a mistake in character description stating that she is a he for Jane. She's that manly looking lancer.

[quote name='UltimateIdiot911']hey, did anyone else notice this but when you go to the Personal Tab and view each character, the Male characters, you can rotate and look under but the female characters are won't rotate under (anti-panty peeking?). Sega also made a mistake in character description stating that she is a he for Jane. She's that manly looking lancer.[/quote]

That happens all the time....
Is America just not ready for polygonal panties (yet ready for chode)?

and is anybody having trouble finding the game anywhere? I've been to Fry's, Best Buy, and Circuit City, and none of them had it... I hope they aren't sold out already cuz I want to pick it up at a different CC tomorrow...

Got mine in the mail from GS today, artbook wasn't too banged up. Very impressed with it despite it's short length - it has character profiles and history.

So what does this game play like? Is it like the Disgaea/variations? I'm not really into those.

[quote name='Blackout']So what does this game play like? Is it like the Disgaea/variations? I'm not really into those.[/quote]

No it isn't. You move around in real time like a 3d game. Also when you try to hit your opponent you also aim like it's a FPS. Though it isn't like that.

[quote name='imascrub']That happens all the time....
Is America just not ready for polygonal panties (yet ready for chode)?

and is anybody having trouble finding the game anywhere? I've been to Fry's, Best Buy, and Circuit City, and none of them had it... I hope they aren't sold out already cuz I want to pick it up at a different CC tomorrow...[/quote]

Yeah...I really don't understand US. In the rest of the world, violence is frowned upon but in US God forbid someone see any sexual action. I mean sex is more natural and better than people running around like idiots killing each other.

Aside from that, yeah, the game is like really hard to find. From what I've gather, many stores only received around the # of preorders or just slightly over that #. I'm so piss at the fact I couldn't find an artbook.

My walmart had a ton of these. I wonder why THEY got so many though. How many people go to walmart for animu style rpgs?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It plays like a strategy RPG with third-person shooter influences. Why not just play the demo and find out for yourself?[/quote]

I'm downloading it now. I just wanted to ask, that's all.

Here's a more detailed example of how it plays.

When it's your turn you move around in a 3rd person view. If you get close to enemies like scouts or shocktroopers or an enemies turrents, they'll shoot at you. Once you go into aiming mode, they stop shooting and you get to shoot back at them. If you don't kill these types of enemies, then they get their shot at you "Though it isn't as powerful as if it was their turn to shoot at you" Same goes for you though.

Each character has a set amount of time to move. Scouts have the most amount of time to move and move the fastest. They're great against snipers and lancers. Lancers have more armor, and an anti tank weapon which can destroy snipers and shocktroopers if you're close enough to hit em or get a lucky shot. They also are the only class that can damage tanks. They of course not only move slower due to amor, but have less time to move around.

All classes have their unique ups and downs and play differently.

Went to PM it at Best Buy since I had already gotten it (used my $20 Rewardszone certificate a few days ago) and they actually called Circuit City to verify if they had it in stock! Of course they didn't, so they didn't want to give me the difference back, but after arguing with the guy he eventually did it.

Terrible.

The game is still very awesome though.

what do you say to people like that to get them to pricematch? I am a terrible negotiator lol

I should have seen it coming, but went to a different CC today and of course they had none. Ended up going to a BB and pricematching it. Too bad I didn't buy it before hand to get it a couple bucks cheaper on the 110% diff. The person who brought the game to the front for me said that they had to call in, but when I was there some guy rang me up and made a call, but I don't think it was to CC. Just asked about a CC pricematch and when he got off he punched in the enter key for the match. *shrug*

Just started the game tonight and loving it. Two things

1) One of the guys in the R&D Department looks like Harry Potter.
2) I applaud Sega for including the Japanese voice track. I just wish they had included a more accurate translation than using the English dialogue.

Bravo Sega for producing a great new IP!

Looks readily available at Best Buy and Gamestops in my area. I think I'll wait it out on goozex though. The demo has me hooked instantly (much like Civ Rev did), but as much as I enjoy these games, I'm never good at them and the fun factor fades quickly for me.

This game just got really hard.

I'm at
Chapter 7 and trying to destroy the tank. If my lancers weren't terrible shots I might have a chance

just started playing a couple hours ago. Just got to chapter 3 and liking it so far. I want to keep playing but i need to sleep...

[quote name='whoknows']This game just got really hard.

I'm at
Chapter 7 and trying to destroy the tank. If my lancers weren't terrible shots I might have a chance
[/quote]

That was probably my hardest mission so far. I had about five people get knocked unconcious in the last three rounds, but nobody actually "died" thankfully. But man
the second half of the battle, that woman can really move. In one turn she was literally right outside of the place where I stationed everybody and she can shoot anybody she is able to see while you're actively controlling someone.

I'm currently trying to figure out how I want to beat Chapter 14, Mission 1. It's being a little bit of a pain, but I think I have a way to win easily... although it's definitely not going to net me an A, B, or C rank. I can't even begin to think of how this one can get A Ranked. (Edit: Nevermind... I got a B rank from it. Weird, I thought it would have taken more turns.)

Oh and Orders are pretty overpowered. If I combine the right ones, I can complete most objectives in one or two turns with ease using a single scout.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've now been to 3 CC trying to find the game. I already have a copy from walmart but I can't pricematch if they don't have it.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Just started the game tonight and loving it. Two things

1) One of the guys in the R&D Department looks like Harry Potter.
2) I applaud Sega for including the Japanese voice track. I just wish they had included a more accurate translation than using the English dialogue.

Bravo Sega for producing a great new IP![/quote]

What they should have done is had separate subtitles for the Japanese soundtrack and separate subs for the English soundtrack. But it's better than nothing.

I can't seem to get rid of the mentality of killing every enemy in sight instead of finishing the map in the least amount of turns possible. I may be losing out on some XP and money since I keep getting C's and D's due to my warmongering, but it's fun dominating the other army ;).

Is there no way to see that rank you've received on battles you've finished?

Apparently, A rank is the top rank you can get in the American version.

A rank = JPN S rank.

[quote name='dallow']Is there no way to see that rank you've received on battles you've finished?[/quote]

I've only seen it pop up once right you finish that particular mission or skirmish. Haven't seen anything else to indicate what rank you previously have recieved on a finished battle.

[quote name='whoknows']Went to PM it at Best Buy since I had already gotten it (used my $20 Rewardszone certificate a few days ago) and they actually called Circuit City to verify if they had it in stock! Of course they didn't, so they didn't want to give me the difference back, but after arguing with the guy he eventually did it.

Terrible.

The game is still very awesome though.[/quote]
They probably did have it in stock. We used to run into this problem at my store when we implemented our price match policy: other stores will tell you it's not in stock if A) they have gotten a lot of calls about it or B) you are calling from a competitor's store. That way, customers don't buy the game somewhere else for the same price. I had a lady come in and tell us Paper Mario was cheaper at Circuit City, they said it was out of stock, so my manager walked across the parking lot, snapped a photo of the game at their store and brought it back as proof.

ANYWAY, Valkyria Chronicles: I'm on Chapter 10. Chapter 8 was a bitch because I had to move my PS3 to an old SDTV and the glare was bad (you can't see landmines with glare!) My favorite part so far is Largo's Report mission
"Let's Make some Violence for Vegetables!

I had a hell of a time finding the game today. Went to 3 CCs none of them had it. I finally went to a BB and they had 1 copy left so I PMed it :) I'm only on chapter 2 so far but it's fun.

This game gets hard as hell (which is a good thing). You make one mistake in team composition or screw up with an action point and it can fuck your day up.

[quote name='blackjaw']This game gets hard as hell (which is a good thing). You make one mistake in team composition or screw up with an action point and it can fuck your day up.[/quote]

Yeah, I've made it a habit to save every turn just in case some wise ass Lancer pops out of no where and one shots the Edelweiss.

I just wish they integrated a percentage figure that shows your chances of hitting a specific part of the enemy. I've often scratched my head wondering why Largo would miss a near point-blank shot to the enemy tank's radiator or my sniper's inability to hit anything but the torso even with accuracy upgraded rifles.

[quote name='knightsdwn']I just wish they integrated a percentage figure that shows your chances of hitting a specific part of the enemy. I've often scratched my head wondering why Largo would miss a near point-blank shot to the enemy tank's radiator or my sniper's inability to hit anything but the torso even with accuracy upgraded rifles.[/QUOTE]

It's a feature -- not a bug.

[quote name='Ecofreak']It's a feature -- not a bug.[/quote]

I never said it was a bug. It just seems random whether or not you'll hit a specific part. I reloaded a part of a battle where Largo is directly behind a medium tank with no obstruction at all for a total of ten times, and 6 times out of 10, he'll either hit the tank's tracks or body. My aim may not be spot on all ten times, but hitting a huge tank radiator shouldn't be 40%.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the game very much, but this minor problem just ticks me off sometimes.

How much better is the actual game over the demo? I played the tutorial and battle and thought it was kinda...eh...ok. Not bad but not really buy worthy with all the top tier stuff that's been coming out that I'll never have time to play as is. I kinda like SRPG and kinda like action, but the demo made it feel kinda like the worst of both worlds to me. Like the action broke up the strategy, which is already a slow paced genre, yet the action was too clumsy to compare to all the stuff out there.

Some demos suck compared to the game though so I'm hoping someone feels this one did.

When do I get access to the tabs on the side of the book? I'm at the second part of chapter three and I just want to see all the info that's kept there.

Alicia is really broken unit. You can beat most stages within 1-3 days with her. Her skills are too powerful- double movement, self healing, reduce bullet damage or overall damage. Plus, when you factor in orders and high mobility she unstoppable. I'm gunning just for A rank. Anything less isn't challenging at all.

So far my biggest annoyance about the game is, like in Front Mission 4, you have to deploy your units blind. So far I've been pretty good at anticipating what enemies to expect, but I don't like that there's any element of guesswork to planning a battle. Being able to see the enemy units (or at least their frontline troops) when placing your squad would only strengthen the gameplay, since it's supposed to be about thoughtful planning and not making due with who you deployed on a hunch.

Anyway, it only takes a quick peek at the map and reload to accomplish this, but I wish Sega had saved me the trouble.

I think Leon (the R&D guy who calls you his bro and wants to make serious love to you) is a Prinny in disguise. With Japanese voices on the majority of his sentences end in ~suuu.

[quote name='dallow']Is there no way to see that rank you've received on battles you've finished?[/quote]

Ok, now that I've beaten the game I found out NG+ unlocks something you're looking for. It will unlock two tabs, which are Music and Statistics. Statistics is the obvious giving you stats on your battles and also in NG+, you can replay story battles too.

Thanks! Exactly what I wanted.
I was starting to wonder where the incentive to get good ranks was.

Guess I'll stick to bad ranks and getting good money/exp until I beat the game.

bread's done
Back