Valkyria Chronicles - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='bjkrautk']There's one battle later on
Naggiar (2)
that you will almost certainly fail the first time unless you know what's coming.[/quote]

That one pissed me off. I figured there'd be more to the battle, but the constantly respawning enemies make it crazy. I gave up on my first try and restarted from the beginning and then followed this easy strategy:

My really easy and cheap way to win that battle. In short you send a lancer over to the south tank spawn area, and start moving another lancer up along the east side of the map on turn 1. Send keep pushing him even if it seems like he is barely moving. On turn 2 Alicia will wipe out the remaining stuff.. Keep moving the lancer to the second tank spawn. End turn 2. On turn 3 Alicia does nothing and you should be able to push the lancer in the top to the correct spot for the second tank spawn. Send a scout to grab the base and make sure you have 4 CP. The tanks spawn and you shoot them twice with your conviniently placed lancers. End of mission and A rank.

I decided to try that strategy after discovering the stupid respawning enemies. I originally wasted a bunch of CP with my snipers, and as soon as they reappeared the following turn I said "forget that" and tried the cheap way.

I tend to only just use 3-4 characters the entire map, and I've consistently gotten A's and B's. It took me a while to get rid of the "use every character" mentality as it isn't very efficient, but once I did, I was rolling through the missions with relative ease.

It took me forever to beat ch 7 too.
It was either lancers that were missing, not knowing how to shoot down walls at first, or making stupid little mistakes (like trying to scramble my engineer to save a downed lancer near Slevaria lol. I managed to beat the level after Selvaria came out my first time through though. Like somebody mentioned above, the secret is to stay south of the tank lol. This was after I took out all the other reinforcements with a couple shocktroopers which I kept around after downing the initial extra enemies

[quote name='fatbeer']That's along time for maps that need little or no translation at all.[/QUOTE]

One of the two packs has a story component, actually.

[quote name='josh_animebum']That one pissed me off. I figured there'd be more to the battle, but the constantly respawning enemies make it crazy. I gave up on my first try and restarted from the beginning and then followed this easy strategy:

My really easy and cheap way to win that battle. In short you send a lancer over to the south tank spawn area, and start moving another lancer up along the east side of the map on turn 1. Send keep pushing him even if it seems like he is barely moving. On turn 2 Alicia will wipe out the remaining stuff.. Keep moving the lancer to the second tank spawn. End turn 2. On turn 3 Alicia does nothing and you should be able to push the lancer in the top to the correct spot for the second tank spawn. Send a scout to grab the base and make sure you have 4 CP. The tanks spawn and you shoot them twice with your conviniently placed lancers. End of mission and A rank.

I decided to try that strategy after discovering the stupid respawning enemies. I originally wasted a bunch of CP with my snipers, and as soon as they reappeared the following turn I said "forget that" and tried the cheap way.
[/quote]

Yyyyyyyea, I definately got a D on that one, because
I placed Largo and Rosie in the southern spawn point, but I didn't think to send a lancer up to the north, and it took FOREVER to get to that last tank without losing someone. Another note, if you take long enough, the northern tank will start feeling sorry for you and start moving up the hill, making it a lot easier to get behind it.

My boyfriend's reaction to Edy as she pwned Chapter 9 was priceless. "She's creepy. She's cute and her voice is like Tomoyo's from CardCaptor Sakura, and yet she has a fuckING MACHINEGUN!!!"

Just watched some of the chapter 9 videos. I wish more games would include the Japanese VA's; it's fun hearing the characters open their yappers and being able to recognize the voice talent (Cornelia = Kotomi (Clannad) / Yakumo (School Rumble))

[quote name='imascrub']That happens all the time....
Is America just not ready for polygonal panties (yet ready for chode?[/quote]Wait, so are you saying that the Japanese version DID allow you to look under there? I'm confused.

And it's pretty darn hard to find too. I'll probably be holding off on getting this game 'till after the holidays. Have enough games to play as it is. ^_^;;

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this has been asked already, but is there a way to avoid getting shot up like crazy while trying to heal yourself? I select a character that got roughed up during the enemy's phase, and by the time I scroll through the weapons I die. This happens a lot when I'm using Aika to scout the map out, which is bad because I refuse to rescue her with anyone but Vyse, no matter how far apart they are.

[quote name='arnoldhead']I don't know if this has been asked already, but is there a way to avoid getting shot up like crazy while trying to heal yourself? I select a character that got roughed up during the enemy's phase, and by the time I scroll through the weapons I die. This happens a lot when I'm using Aika to scout the map out, which is bad because I refuse to rescue her with anyone but Vyse, no matter how far apart they are.[/QUOTE]

I'd suggest running around immediately after you select your character, and only try to heal yourself after the enemy is trying to reload their clip -- or better yet, move behind cover and then heal.

Somewhat early on in the game, you also get an Order that allows you to heal a character for 1 Command Point (more powerful versions become available later on). That may be a good solution if you don't want to risk your character being knocked-out.

BTW -- the Battle of Chapter 9 was such a joke. Beat it in one turn w/ Rosie and a machine gun I picked up from an elite Imperalist and still had 1 CP to spare after using the "Defense Up" order. Guess it felt good getting all that XP and $$$ from an easy A ranking, though.

If you just hit the aim button right away, they stop shooting and you can switch over to the health potion to use it then press circle when it's done to end your turn.

[quote name='arnoldhead']I don't know if this has been asked already, but is there a way to avoid getting shot up like crazy while trying to heal yourself? I select a character that got roughed up during the enemy's phase, and by the time I scroll through the weapons I die. This happens a lot when I'm using Aika to scout the map out, which is bad because I refuse to rescue her with anyone but Vyse, no matter how far apart they are.[/quote]

you don't have to select your weapon while still in action mode. You can go into aim mode and choose whatever weapon or item you want with all the time in the world. If you want to heal yourself without getting shot, just go immediately into aiming mode, and then choose the healing item, and right when the screen zooms back out into action mode, end your turn to stop the enemies from shooting.

Anyone have a good Strategy for Welkin's report mission?

I've been trying this by recruiting a shocktrooper & an engineer. I've tried having Largo disable the tanks, I've tried having a sniper take down as many units as I can....but I always seem to have someone come in to outflank me, since the ducking shocktroopers don't seem to do much in the way of interception fire.)

[quote name='bjkrautk']Anyone have a good Strategy for Welkin's report mission?

I've been trying this by recruiting a shocktrooper & an engineer. I've tried having Largo disable the tanks, I've tried having a sniper take down as many units as I can....but I always seem to have someone come in to outflank me, since the ducking shocktroopers don't seem to do much in the way of interception fire.)
[/quote]

I got stuck on that one too. I ended up skipping it so I could go back. It will be beaten tonight, and then I'll report back...

[quote name='SeanNOLA']I got stuck on that one too. I ended up skipping it so I could go back. It will be beaten tonight, and then I'll report back...[/QUOTE]

I just beat it (Rank B)

The key for me was to swap the 2nd shocktrooper for a sniper. On your first turn, bring the Edelweiss up along the roadside, and mortar the two standing shocktroopers. Then bring your sniper up and pick off the Imperial CP units. Finally, have Rosie run to the northeast & take out the hiding lancer (if you have an upgraded flamethrower, at least). If you have an extra CP, you can move up your engineer and hopefully take down another shocktrooper, but keep him/her close enough to repair the Edelweiss on turn # 2.

Save Largo for turn # 2; the Tanks will come to you.

From there on out, the only thing you really have to focus on is taking out the Scout rushers along the perimeter (2 come from the east, 1 from the west. Remember that a Grenade from your engineer & sniper headshot will take down a crouching Imp without taking Rosie out of position on the East flank), and cleaning up the stragglers.

[quote name='62t']no artbook at local store, here is a scan of the artbook

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32078510@N05/sets/72157608667345492/[/quote]

lol, I posted (ghghHello) those on gamefaqs...it found its way here
any who on the gamefaqs forum another user posted up zip files of scans (I didn't make those) heard they were better

also I think this is a better link of those scans on flickr (has more option of image sizes and stuff)

http://www.zooomr.com/people/ghghhello/

beat the game...just waiting for the dlc now

[quote name='bjkrautk']I just beat it (Rank B)

The key for me was to swap the 2nd shocktrooper for a sniper. On your first turn, bring the Edelweiss up along the roadside, and mortar the two standing shocktroopers. Then bring your sniper up and pick off the Imperial CP units. Finally, have Rosie run to the northeast & take out the hiding lancer (if you have an upgraded flamethrower, at least). If you have an extra CP, you can move up your engineer and hopefully take down another shocktrooper, but keep him/her close enough to repair the Edelweiss on turn # 2.

Save Largo for turn # 2; the Tanks will come to you.

From there on out, the only thing you really have to focus on is taking out the Scout rushers along the perimeter (2 come from the east, 1 from the west. Remember that a Grenade from your engineer & sniper headshot will take down a crouching Imp without taking Rosie out of position on the East flank), and cleaning up the stragglers.
[/quote]

That one was a puzzler, but you can get an A rank...
I forgot the exact details but basically I had 2 shocks (including Rosie), Largo and Sniper. Also, most of my characters were high levels. I used the tank prolly twice for mortar and killed off the three tanks with shock troopers.

[quote name='bigl523']What's the highest rank in this game? S or A?[/quote]

S in the Japanese version and A in the North American version.

anybody know why sega thought they needed to change it?
For the longest time I was wondering what I was doing wrong to only be getting A rank on my skirmishes instead of S rank. I was beating them in one turn...that should've been awesome enough lol

[quote name='imascrub']anybody know why sega thought they needed to change it?
For the longest time I was wondering what I was doing wrong to only be getting A rank on my skirmishes instead of S rank. I was beating them in one turn...that should've been awesome enough lol[/QUOTE]

Cause people not familiar w/ the grade scheme may not realize that S is the highest score?

Maybe it's another casualty of games becoming more casual. :p

Games, and a lot of media are better changed to suit the culture it's released in all the time.

I think it's a good thing that it was changed, and frankly, since there's no difference between an S and an A rank, why complain?

Just wondering, is there any incentive to kill all the bad guys on the map instead of just picking off a few and capturing the base? I usually kill everyone and capture the base within ~4 turns, but I'm getting C's and B's and it sucks.

You get bonuses for killing enemy leaders, aces, and tanks. Aces drop extra weapons. I don't think there's anything extra for killing all the regular troops, though.

[quote name='arnoldhead']Just wondering, is there any incentive to kill all the bad guys on the map instead of just picking off a few and capturing the base? I usually kill everyone and capture the base within ~4 turns, but I'm getting C's and B's and it sucks.[/QUOTE]

The only incentive for killing all the enemies is extra experience and extra weapons for aces. For most part, it's not worth your time killing all the enemies. You gain far less compare to base rushing. You don't have to deal with extra animation speed for attacks and AI movement. You can probably do an extra 1- 3 base runs within that same time frame compare to clearing the board.

If this is your first play through, I won't worry about ranks, you can replay them on game plus or new cycle. For me, I went for A rank for my first play through. I thought this game is pretty easy or maybe I'm too used to strategy games. If I slow play several of missions, I can easily beat all the stages by either go all out sniping, order spamming or hurt/heal.

That's the Selvaria stage, right? You can beat that stage within one turn, but it takes lots of luck and saving/loading due to her high evasion. That's probably not the best route to go.

The easiest way to harm her is with shock troopers flamethrowers. Due to their slow movement and Selvaria high damage, you will take quite a bit of damage climbing to the top of castle. In this case, use Alicia and capture the closest base near Selvaria to summon a shocktroop. Cast Awakening Potential and defensive boost on Alicia to reduce majority of damage by Selvaria. If your scouts are level 16 or greater, you can probably capture the base with 5 cp(Awaken Potential(2), defense boost(1), Using Alicia twice(2cp)) with double movement.

When you summon your shocktrooper, use order caution and defense boost to reduce incoming damage from Selvaria. Move your shockertrooper close to her then spam flamethrowers on her.

So will I know who these Aces are when I get to them? I'm still early in the game so I don't think I've encountered any, so far just regular enemies and light tanks.

[quote name='arnoldhead']So will I know who these Aces are when I get to them? I'm still early in the game so I don't think I've encountered any, so far just regular enemies and light tanks.[/quote]

They're the soldiers with unique names instead of just Scout, Shocktrooper, etc. Sometimes they're hidden out of the way; in the desert in chapter 6, there's an ace just hanging out in the northeast corner. I found him completely by accident.

haha same here. Finally got the balls to run around back and found myself a little surprise in that northeast corner. I was too weak to kill him in one go with Freesia though so had to pony up an extra CP for it.

There's also an easy to find one in the mission after the Welkin/Alicia night forest separation mission. He's double teaming with another regular sniper, standing next to a watchtower.

The last one I remember is in the infiltration mission in Fouzen (cuz I just did that mission yesterday). There's an ace hanging out on the upper level behind a building, northwest corner. Gotta take the second train to get there.

I've heard the bonuses you get for getting high ranks aren't that much, nothing a skirmish or two will fix. Not to mention you miss out on cool stuff like those aces.

Ah I see, thanks for the help guys. Guess I should keep exploring all the regular maps and just speed run the skirmishes to make up for it.

If anybody care about the Ace locations, here is list from gamefaqs. For me, the guide isn't necessary if you learn all of Welkin's orders from Graveyard and unlock his last order that reveals all hidden units from the fog of war. It's a good reference if you forgot what stage these Aces are placed or weapons they drop.

Aces

[quote name='neoshadow919']
Chapter 2: Segular the Wall (ZM Kar 1), north-east of your tank in turn 3
Chapter 3: Ty the Immortal (ZM MP 1), second grass field north of your tank
Chapter 5: Lt Nonnenkof (ZM MP 2), south-west corner of the enemy base
Chapter 6: Malya the Dust (ZM SG 1), north-east of the map behind an L wall
Chapter 7: Kanazar the Lion (ZM Kar 2), coming with Selvaria
Chapter 8a: Ty the Immortal (ZM MP 3), north-west of the map (can't miss him)
Chapter 8b: Zytreet the Lynx ((ZM SG 2), centre of the map (you should see him at the beginning)
Chapter 10a: Oswald the Iron (ZM Kar 3), north-west of the map, you have to take the second train to go up there or shoot him from the bridge with a sniper/tank
Chapter 10b: Tavyse the Beast (ZM SG 3), south-east of the map, you have to take the train to reach him
Chapter 11: Cpt. Nonnenkof (VB FW 1), just north-west of the enemy main camp (can't miss him)
Chapter 12: Mash the Hunter (ZM SG 4) and Yosnoa the Hound (Enhanced Block Pin for Edelweiss), you should see them at the beginning, Mash is the tank and Yosnoa is in their main camp
Chapter 13: Sima the Younger (ZM Kar 4), west of the map behind the bunker
Chapter 14: Sima the Elder (ZM MP 4), you see him at the beginning shooting at someone
Chapter 15a: Ozwald the Steel (ZM Kar 5) and Matz the Cleaner (Firing Calculator for Edelweiss), Ozwald is hiding in grass north-east of the map and Matz is a big tank just south-west of Ozwald
Chapter 16: Shuntr the Mount (ZM SG 5), a sniper at the end of the map (can't miss him)
Chapter 17: Ty the Immortal (ZM MP 5), in the south-western enemy bas, will run to the south in a small alley with sandbags (you can wait him here if you like surprise party)[/quote]

Decorations
[quote name='neoshadow919']
Gallian Medal of Honor - Complete the Chapter 9 battle "Kidnapping of Cordelia"
Fouzen Service Medal - Complete the Chapter 10 battle "Liberation of Fouzen"
Naggiar Service Medal - Complete the Chapter 14 battle "Showdown at Naggiar(2)"
Ghirlandaio Service Medal - Complete the second Chapter 15 battle "To Fell a Citadel"
Savior of Gallia - Beat the game and begin a new game from the saved file
The Lance of Gallia - Kill an enemy ace
The Bronze Arms of Gallia - Kill 250 enemy units
The Silver Arms of Gallia - Kill 500 enemy units
The Golden Arms of Gallia - Kill 1000 enemy units
The Splintered Horn - Let a character who has unlocked his/her hidden potential die in combat
The Crimson Heart - Have a soldier who has fallen in combat survive eiter by calling a medic or clearing the battle before they die
Order of the Golden Wings - Train all character classes to level 20
The Wings of Solidarity - Unlock the full personnel profiles for all recruits
Excellence in Leadership - Learn every order
Excellence in Armament - Commission all weapon upgrades and collect all enemy ace and royal weapons
Excellence in Technology - Commission all tank upgrades (including all three level 3 Edelweiss upgrades) and collect all enemy ace tank parts
Gallian Front Commemorative - Complete all chapters and reports
Order of the Holy Shield - Complete any chapter battle after Chapter 10 without any of your units being reduced to 0 HP
Order of the Holy Lance - Earn an A Rank on any chapter battle after Chapter 10
Randgriz Crest of Honor - Earn and A Rank on every battle, including all reports and all ranks of all skirmish battles[/quote]

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=942165&topic=46657840

Yesterday there was a little yellow ! sign next to the Edelweiss's Machine Gun 2/Heavy Tank Cannon upgrade. I didn't have enough money left to buy it at the time, and now that I do, the sign isn't there anymore. Anyone know what that means? I don't think it was just to show that I couldn't afford it, since then it would have been showing on a bunch of the other upgrades.

hey guysi just picked this up and i have to say its really really a great game. Im enjoying it alot. this is really no relevance to this board other then to say that its deffinatly way overlooked this holiday season.

Okay. Please /please/ don't hurt me.

I hated Final Fantasy Tactics. With a burning passion Shakespearean or Wagner. Almost as much as I hated Vagrant Story.

After mentioning those two games, I suspect that I might have caused a few heart attacks out there in Internet Land. So... I'll address the following questions to the survivors:

Level with me. Is this game like that? Will I have to PERFECTLY complete missions so that I can actually survive later missions? Are there tons of missable events / items / once chance only scenes?

I see the acronyms SRPG or TRPG and I think... Ivalice. Ivalice and pain. But the screen shots look rather interesting, and I'd love to sit down to a nice epic RPG on my PS3.

No...is all I wanted to say but that's too short to post.

The amount of special items you get is limited to how much of each stage you explore.

Turn based third person shooter seems to be a good analogy. It's heavily strategy based, however this isn't the number crunching, find every little combination kind of SRPG. You'll still have to think tactically, and you'll also want to maximize your effectiveness using teamwork and combo attacks, but you won't be counting grid spaces in case being one space off kills your entire army, or grinding away just to get extra items and levels.

From the sound of it, you may have to do a few skirmishes for some more experience.

[quote name='Gourd']
Level with me. Is this game like that? Will I have to PERFECTLY complete missions so that I can actually survive later missions? Are there tons of missable events / items / once chance only scenes?

I see the acronyms SRPG or TRPG and I think... Ivalice. Ivalice and pain. But the screen shots look rather interesting, and I'd love to sit down to a nice epic RPG on my PS3.[/quote]

While I'm shocked I kept reading after you said you hated BOTH Final Fantasy Tactics AND Vagrant Story, I can say that some of your fears are unwarranted (save maybe 2 missions where there are in-mission events that if you aren't ready for them you can get seriously screwed and have to restart them).

There is nothing that is completely missable. The closest thing would be killing named enemies for their weapons where you only get one chance to get them on your 1st playthrough (and by and large they aren't very good weapons save for a flamethrower you get in a mission where you have to kill everyone anyway). There is a new game plus option that lets you start over with all your equipment and levels intact.

There is an in-mission save option. This means that you can save every turn and if the enemy does something entirely unexpected and slaughters you, you can just try again without being too inconvienced.

The only advantages of getting an A-rank in the missions are to get extra experience and money. This isn't really too big of a deal since there are optional missions that you can replay as many times as you want for XP and money. Also in later missions you get more bonus weapons from the princess, but these are only nominally better than the weapons you get get from your "store."

There is permadeath for your non-story characters if you aren't careful, but if a few of them die it isn't a big deal since there are usually multiple replacements for them. Units level up by class so nobody ever comes into your army any worse off than any others.

I hope that helps some. Keep in mind though that if you don't like strategy games at all, the game isn't for you. Difficulty-wise I'd say it is about Shining Force difficulty since you can always save/reload in the missions and grind for XP/Money.

Awesome. Thanks folks. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a game designed with Obssessive Compulsive gamers in mind. That's generally why I bring out Vagrant Story and FFT as examples: they are good metrics for that sort of thing.

I love love /love/ the Disgaea series, generally because you /can/ simply play through as a very casual gamer. I guess this is more like that.

I cant wait till Christmas to open up my ps3 and play this game. If only sega took great care and polish on all of their games.

[quote name='Gourd']Awesome. Thanks folks. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a game designed with Obssessive Compulsive gamers in mind. That's generally why I bring out Vagrant Story and FFT as examples: they are good metrics for that sort of thing.

I love love /love/ the Disgaea series, generally because you /can/ simply play through as a very casual gamer. I guess this is more like that.[/QUOTE]

If you think FFT requires ocd in order to play, you are in the wrong genre. I'm terrible at strategy games of any kind, of FFT is probably the easiest SRPG to play ever. Unless you meant, like, there were too many classes or something.

In my book, Obssessive Compulsive behavior has /nothing/ to do with how hard something is.

There are a lot of tasks that would appeal to someone with a serious hankering for sort, fussing, stacking and ordering things. Such as figuring out all the combinations in an RPG alchemy database. Or spending hours upon hours to get The Hallowed Sports Cup of Plus 3 Genitals Protection.

Such as, for example, making sure that you hit all the optional events in FFT. (Propositions) Or minimizing the amount of leveling you do to make additional non story encounters easier. (FFT penalizes grinding in that way.) Or maximizing the use of Calculator class characters. Or getting various special jobs.

In Vagrant Story, getting your weapons /just right/ to tackle various enemies would lend itself quite well to that kind of mindset.

For another take on this, how about this Penny Arcade comic? Oddly enough about Valkyria Chronicles. This is what spurred me to post here and ask about this game.

Gourd: Yeah, fair enough. But you realize most of the stuff you are describing is optional, right? I suppose the discussion should end here, as I don't really know enough about Valkyria yet to talk about it in this context.
But I'd also note quickly that I leveled a ton in the original FFT, and I found the optional encounters pretty easy because of all the skills I had. Except for Mindflayers. I still hate those guys.

bread's done
Back