Valkyria Chronicles - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Ma12kez']Other than that, it was a great game. Now Metal Gear Solid 4 won't look so lonely on my shelf with this game next to it (I only have two PS3 games).:lol:[/quote]

Can't think of two better PS3 games to have though. If I had to get rid of all of mine but two they'd be the ones I kept.

[quote name='Ma12kez']I'll
admit my eyes got watery at the end when Isara's plane saves Welkin and Alicia
.[/quote]

I cried. My wife looked at me like I was an idiot, but it got her interested enough to play through it (she usually sticks to the Tales and Star Ocean series).

As for all of the Mission 7 talk, it is much easier the second time around (still takes 9 turns) but Selvaria can still kill anyone in a single turn if they're not taking cover.

9 turns is the minimum amount of turns it takes to beat it. Well...I admit I haven't checked in a while, but I'll assume that's the minimum amount of turns it takes to get an A/S rank.

Beat the game today. Had a nice ending I guess but the english voice actors being so cheery made me feel a little nauseous. I'll play through it again and with dlc coming out tomorrow that makes me pretty damn happy.

[quote name='KingBroly']9 turns is the minimum amount of turns it takes to beat it. Well...I admit I haven't checked in a while, but I'll assume that's the minimum amount of turns it takes to get an A/S rank.[/quote]

Story and scene requirements mandate a minimum of 9 turns.

Where do you go to see how many turns you took to complete a mission? I A ranked mission 7 but don't remember how many turns I took. I pretty much lucked out when Silvaria showed up because the majority of my troops were on the other side of tanks or under good covers so she only took out one person whom I was able to evacuate with a scout.

[quote name='tenchi']Where do you go to see how many turns you took to complete a mission? I A ranked mission 7 but don't remember how many turns I took. I pretty much lucked out when Silvaria showed up because the majority of my troops were on the other side of tanks or under good covers so she only took out one person whom I was able to evacuate with a scout.[/quote]
Once you beat the game, a new tab called statistics is added to the book that shows you how many turns you beat a level in and what rank you got on it.

The thing with Mission 7 is you have to build up enough CP in order to win. Now on a New Game+ I'm sure you could do it in a turn (possibly two) less since the Edelweiss would be supercharged at that point.

Downloading the DLC as I post. FINALLY YESSSSSSS

But $5 each? fuck you Sega. Too bad I'm too much of a VC fangirl to not buy it. And at least it isn't like 300kb like Resident Evil's fuckery. Edy is 85 MB, EX Hard Mode is 120 MB, and Selvaria is 224 MB.

Yeah, I broke down and got all 3. I love Valkyria Chronicles too much to just get 1 of the 3.

There are 4 Selvaria Missions and 1 Edy mission as far as I know, but there are supposedly multiple endings for the Edy mission.

[quote name='KingBroly']The thing with Mission 7 is you have to build up enough CP in order to win. Now on a New Game+ I'm sure you could do it in a turn (possibly two) less since the Edelweiss would be supercharged at that point.[/quote]

I couldn't do enough damage to make it through in even 9 turns without first going after the radiators.

Wholly crap - I considered myself Pro when it came to Valkyria Chronicles; but I can't beat Skirmish Map 1 on elite. I fear what the other maps will entail *shudder*

No more bum rushing w/ Alicia! :whistle2:(

Liked edy's mission a fair amount but I probably wouldn't recommend it for full price. The recycled map and a somewhat boring mission type made me feel like they could've used resources elsewhere. No extra cutscenes or anything, just talking head moments with everyone. Dialogue and voice acting is pretty good and I think Homer is going to be a new favorite amongst fans. Gonna start Selvaria's tonight/finish tomorrow.

So far seems like the Selvaria content is the best bang for your buck, any other opinions?
Are there any other planned DLC for the game?
Thanks in advance!

[quote name='soriku']Anybody have any tips for chapter 17? No matter what I can't take the camp in the lower left corner :bomb:.[/QUOTE]

Was that the one with the super armored tank and you had to take all camps so it didn't get fixed? Yeah, that one took me 18 turns the first time. It took me a while to get the last camp in the upper left due to the damn tank sitting there and the super tank wandering around the main street areas. The lower left wasn't too bad as I hit it first.

Cpt - The Selvaria mission gives you the most new content for your dollar in my opinion, though Hard Mode EX also ranks high in content, just in new battle layouts, enemies, and weapons as opposed to the new storyline. So the value on each will just depend on what parts of the game you enjoy the most.

Edy's Mission also has high replay value with the four different endings (based on rank), and probably has the most entertaining story sequences out of the three. It's also a good one for those who like learning more about the squad seven members, since you get to know Edy's team pretty well.

Oh, and I think it may be about time to give away some Valkyria goods... more news to come soon. ;)

Playing through the game a second time with max levels has really spoiled me. I booted up Selvaria's mission and immediately started charging. I lost four characters on my first turn. :lol:

Played again and got so caught up in taking out all of the base camps that I forgot to run Selvaria to the main camp. I ended up taking the main camp in seven turns. It's disappointing that I can't go back and play just that level - does it open up after the story is beaten?

[quote name='RubyEclipse']Yes, you'll be able to go back and play it again.[/quote]

Words can not describe my excitement.

I know we've briefly discussed a bit about a sequel, with varying opinions. I was thinking earlier today that it would be nice to see a science-fiction themed game in the style of Valkyria. As far as mechanics, I'd love to see some flying units. I'd also like to see melee-themed attacks, rewarding sneak tactics.

What kind of tweaks would everyone else like to see?

Well, I got a B the first time I played Edy's mission, mainly because of the added objective that comes from out of nowhere, so hopefully I can replay and max that out. I guess when you factor in the fact that it is highly replayable, it does have more worth. And I saw on the sega blog yesterday that there would be prizes and I was hoping there would be some for CAG! *Fingers crossed*

[quote name='sotc1988']Well, I got a B the first time I played Edy's mission, mainly because of the added objective that comes from out of nowhere, so hopefully I can replay and max that out. I guess when you factor in the fact that it is highly replayable, it does have more worth. And I saw on the sega blog yesterday that there would be prizes and I was hoping there would be some for CAG! *Fingers crossed*[/quote]

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/04/0...-visit-this-weekends-cherry-blossom-festival/

They got loot. I imagine huge stockpiles of it. I'd like to think on breaks they swim in it like Scrooge McDuck in his money pit. Least, that's what I'd do.

[quote name='RubyEclipse']Oh, and I think it may be about time to give away some Valkyria goods... more news to come soon. ;)[/QUOTE]

Hopefully it won't be during normal work hours (East Coast time)... :pray::pray::pray:

[quote name='LiteOnMe']So which DLC is good?[/quote]

Get them all.

Of course if you're aiming to get just one, are you looking more for gameplay or storyline. If it's for the former, get the Ex-Mode as you'll essentially get new skirmish levels (difficulty, a.i., troop placement, etc are different). If you're looking for more storyline, then it depends if you want to see more of Squad 7 (get the Edy pack) or Selvaria (get her pack).

Edy only has one mission, but with four endings. Selvaria has several missions.

[quote name='RubyEclipse']Cpt - The Selvaria mission gives you the most new content for your dollar in my opinion....

Edy's Mission also has high replay value with the four different endings (based on rank)...

Oh, and I think it may be about time to give away some Valkyria goods... more news to come soon. ;)[/quote]

I'm sold, gonna pick them both up then! well... eventually, gotta scrounge up some cash first, lol.

AND GOODIES?! *SQUEELS LIKE A SCHOOLGIRL* Thats good news :D i love me some goodies, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Yay hope I win a goody...anyway we could get some free DLC codes? ;) :O[/quote]

Man that would be SUCH a frantic race, I say they randomly PM them out to random posters :p or beggars, lol. Although i would personally prefer to get that army-dress or swimsuit dress set of figures, so awesome!

-How can i beat that mission (8?) where welkin is seperated from his tank at the start.... and on the other side of a canyon, next to a small camp with a mortar hidden in a canopy?

I always get a B, no matter how fast I try and rush it. Is there a certain trick to ending this one in a hurry?

I finally got around to playing this game for the first time today. I thought I would just pop it in, play the intro battle and put it down..I played through chapter 3 I think, or at least the beginning, and I really like it. I think I'm not very good at it yet, but that's ok.

I read somewhere in this thread that instead of trophies, there are in game type trophies to work towards? Have I not opened that up yet or did I miss it?

[quote name='reicaden']How can i beat that mission (8?) where welkin is seperated from his tank at the start.... and on the other side of a canyon, next to a small camp with a mortar hidden in a canopy?

I always get a B, no matter how fast I try and rush it. Is there a certain trick to ending this one in a hurry?[/QUOTE]

Just get Welkin to the tank on the first or second turn. First is preferable.

[quote name='cdietschrun']I finally got around to playing this game for the first time today. I thought I would just pop it in, play the intro battle and put it down..I played through chapter 3 I think, or at least the beginning, and I really like it. I think I'm not very good at it yet, but that's ok.

I read somewhere in this thread that instead of trophies, there are in game type trophies to work towards? Have I not opened that up yet or did I miss it?[/quote]

Once you get passed (i think its) chapter 9, you can earn medals. Earn ten medals, and you earn a new recruit. Aside from that, they have no influence on gameplay, and are very much like trophies, often times being rewarded for doing trophy-like things (Kill xx number of enemies, get all of xx, and so on).

Can someone help me out with a question? How many missions are in Selvaria's DLC? So far, I've gotten three, but I heard there was a fourth. Anybody know anything about this?

[quote name='sotc1988']Can someone help me out with a question? How many missions are in Selvaria's DLC. So far, I've gotten three, but I heard there was a fourth. Anybody know anything about this?[/quote]

There's four. I believe you have to A-Rank the other three before you get the fourth though.

[quote name='Salamando3000']There's four. I believe you have to A-Rank the other three before you get the fourth though.[/quote]
Yep, just got it and man that was tough. To get the first alternate mission all you have to do is either kill Damon in the first level or don't. TO unlock the fourth level you have to get A rank in each of the other three like salamando said. It was really tough for me. Save often.

[quote name='Cheapass24']Two questions -
1. Is the new DLC Gameshareable?
2. If it is, is anyone interested in splitting the cost with me?[/QUOTE]

It really would be worth it to support Sega on this one, man. This game didn't sell nearly as well as it deserved to, the least a supportive cag community could do is spring for the dlc

Picked this up today from Gamestop, can't wait to start it up tomorrow. I've heard so many great things, even though I'm not a big SRPG fan I'm still really excited!

I love game-share very cool feature, but I strongly agree with SDC on the content for this game!
Everyone needs to pony up the funds and just buy the DLC.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Picked this up today from Gamestop, can't wait to start it up tomorrow. I've heard so many great things, even though I'm not a big SRPG fan I'm still really excited![/quote]

I played through Disgaea and halfway through La Pucelle before I realized that I don't really care for SRPGs.

That said, Valkyria Chronicles is very, very well disguised. Most of the time it feels like an action/shooter with light RPG elements.

So i have to ace all 3 of the DLCs missions to get the 4th mission?

And when you say to get welkin to his tank on turn 1, do you mean wasting CPs over and over and over and over on him, to dash him to the tank? or just 1 loooooong run, then move other troops?

Tried out the first skirmish on extreme and HOLY HELL my jaw was on the floor. Five+ tanks, four different turrets, mortars everywhere, there was no end to it. This is going to be one hell of a challenge.

[quote name='reicaden']So i have to ace all 3 of the DLCs missions to get the 4th mission?

And when you say to get welkin to his tank on turn 1, do you mean wasting CPs over and over and over and over on him, to dash him to the tank? or just 1 loooooong run, then move other troops?[/QUOTE]

Well

IIRC, there's mortars going off, so you have to make sure they don't hit anyone in your base, but yeah, use all your CP to get welkin to the tank. Just watch out for the mines along the way.

bread's done
Back