Valkyria Chronicles - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']just got past chapter 11...
:cry:
[/QUOTE]

They deserved it for failing to grasp such simple concepts as "perimeter defense" and "sentries."

[quote name='Magus8472']
They deserved it for failing to grasp such simple concepts as "perimeter defense" and "sentries."
[/QUOTE]

The man speaks truth!

[quote name='Ecofreak']The man speaks truth![/quote]

still is sad though... :cry: and I didn't even like Isira much... but yeah, I haven't felt this bad for a character in a game for a while...

I still say this game has one of the most likeable casts in a game I've seen in a while.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']
still is sad though... :cry: and I didn't even like Isira much... but yeah, I haven't felt this bad for a character in a game for a while...

I still say this game has one of the most likeable casts in a game I've seen in a while.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you, but was trying to separate myself from my hyper emotions.

Who knew Rolento was such a big softy? O:):whee:O:)

fuck YOU VC FOR CHALLENGING MY MANHOOD!!

God damn chapter 11. :cry: I had to do EVERYTHING I could to not bust out crying since my wife was sitting right next to me on the laptop.

I've been playing this for the past couple weeks (I'm on Chapter 8) and absolutely love it. I love the way the story is divided so you don't get stuck in hour long cutscenes after battles. I found it took awhile to really figure out the mechanics of the game, and I'm a bit of an anal-retentive level grinder, but this is a must have for all PS3 owners.

I can't wait to finish the game and get onto the DLC!

On a side note... as discussed earlier in the thread... I find the load times quite long as well, mainly when loading from a previous point in battle.

I just beat the chapter where you battle the big ass tank (Chapter 9 I think???) Very challenging, I actually died a few times. Any game that makes me think is good.

I like using the gay lancer guy, he's entertianing. Everytime he sings: "I could get lost in those muscles" I lol.

[quote name='Rodimus']
I like using the gay lancer guy, he's entertianing. Everytime he sings: "I could get lost in those muscles" I lol.[/quote]

He is definitely my favorite lancer too, he's hilarious and useful, what more could you ask for?!

Hey again everyone,

Boston, thanks for posting the VG Chartz link! It's just the first of the contests that are going to show up for Valkyria Chronicles in the next couple of weeks.

Second, some great news regarding the sales of the game. Valkyria ranked as the 5th best selling PS3 game last week according to Gamasutra/Amazon, and actually topped the charts in Japan. Full details here on the SEGA blog!

[quote name='RubyEclipse']Hey again everyone,

Boston, thanks for posting the VG Chartz link! It's just the first of the contests that are going to show up for Valkyria Chronicles in the next couple of weeks.

Second, some great news regarding the sales of the game. Valkyria ranked as the 5th best selling PS3 game last week according to Gamasutra/Amazon, and actually topped the charts in Japan. Full details here on the SEGA blog![/QUOTE]

Glad to hear the grew news! Do you happen to know how many copies have been sold so far around the world?

I'll try and think of an entry for the contest. 500 words is a pretty tight limit...

[quote name='KingBroly']Someone post over at psu.com (mentioned on twitter) and say your favorite DLC is Trophy support.[/quote]
:cool:

Broly already mentioned it, but contest #2 is now live, and this time with ten Valkyria Figurines.

The contest will be over at 10 PM Central tonight, so enter soon!

Entered the contest but my entry will not edit. I hope I don't get disqualified for not posting my country since their system will not let me edit it in. ;_;

lol. there are 3.

it's not directly stated, but it's inferred in the character description... and it's also obvious as shyt lol

Second, some great news regarding the sales of the game. Valkyria ranked as the 5th best selling PS3 game last week according to Gamasutra/Amazon, and actually topped the charts in Japan. Full details here on the SEGA blog![/quote]

This is great news, and well deserved for such an amazing game. Hopefully this will mean VC gets a sequel.

Second, some great news regarding the sales of the game. Valkyria ranked as the 5th best selling PS3 game last week according to Gamasutra/Amazon, and actually topped the charts in Japan. Full details here on the SEGA blog![/quote]
Awesome! There is some sanity in this world after all. I wonder how many copies have sold ww now.

4 people on my Friends List were playing this today. Almost brings a tear to my eye. Then I remembered that I'm a man, and men don't cry. Then I laughed, drank a soda and belched with content.

Got misty eyed at Chapter 11

[quote name='KingBroly']4 people on my Friends List were playing this today. Almost brings a tear to my eye. Then I remembered that I'm a man, and men don't cry. Then I laughed, drank a soda and belched with content.

Got misty eyed at Chapter 11
[/quote]
Really wish I hadn't read that spoiler you posted... thought it was going to be something to do with your soda. Oh well, worst has happened, like some guy telling me Aeris died right before I reached that part.

[quote name='kainzero']dlc is crazy, that EX Hard mode, wow

first turn:
"hmm, i want to move alicia. *pewpewpew* SHE DIED ALREADY?!"[/quote]
i died on that first tank battle like 3 times on normal... EX Hard is gonna be too much for my dumbass

Yeah, EX Hard is no cake walk. It's like every corner you turn, there's four shocktroopers ready to ambush you. Scout crossfire is extremely lethal. And worst of all - there's no tanks...that means no smoke rounds. I miss my smoke rounds.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Yeah, EX Hard is no cake walk. It's like every corner you turn, there's four shocktroopers ready to ambush you. Scout crossfire is extremely lethal. And worst of all - there's no tanks...that means no smoke rounds. I miss my smoke rounds.[/QUOTE]

I miss my Orders. Hidden Potential + Bonus Defense = DEATH TO THE EMPIRE :bomb::bomb::bomb:

Finished mission 3 today, still really liking the game and hoping it doesn't get frustrating soon.

A general question: did most of you do a lot of grinding between the missions? Is it necessary to have all the best weapons for each battle?

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Finished mission 3 today, still really liking the game and hoping it doesn't get frustrating soon.

A general question: did most of you do a lot of grinding between the missions? Is it necessary to have all the best weapons for each battle?[/QUOTE]

I barely grinded except at the beginning when I tried out the first couple skirmishes, then I stopped doing them. If you get A-B ranks in most story battles you should have enough money to buy most or all upgrades. Of course I'm a cheating bastard so I used guides on later missions and got the most money and exp.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Finished mission 3 today, still really liking the game and hoping it doesn't get frustrating soon.

A general question: did most of you do a lot of grinding between the missions? Is it necessary to have all the best weapons for each battle?[/quote]

Grinding isn't necessary at all. As you go through the weapon trees, just make a decision as to what type of weapon you want to go with right off the bat (ie- accuracy weapons, firepower, or extra rounds). That way you aren't researching 3 branches when you only ever use one branch. You can then pump the rest of the money into the tank. With experience, pump it all into the units you use the most (I rarely use my shocktroopers, so they are low level, whereas my snipers, lancers, and scouts are much higher). Even with "crappy" weapons or unit levels, you can still make it through the game.

[quote name='Warner1281']Grinding isn't necessary at all. As you go through the weapon trees, just make a decision as to what type of weapon you want to go with right off the bat (ie- accuracy weapons, firepower, or extra rounds). That way you aren't researching 3 branches when you only ever use one branch. You can then pump the rest of the money into the tank. With experience, pump it all into the units you use the most (I rarely use my shocktroopers, so they are low level, whereas my snipers, lancers, and scouts are much higher). Even with "crappy" weapons or unit levels, you can still make it through the game.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear I don't have to do a lot of grinding. I'm surprised to hear you don't use your Shocktroops much. My scouts never seem to be able to do good damage, especially against enemy shocktroops. Everyone for me is leveled up equally so far.

[quote name='erectiontown']i died on that first tank battle like 3 times on normal... EX Hard is gonna be too much for my dumbass[/quote]
i died twice there because when i wanted to use my tank to fire at the other tank, he missed and hit the gate.

twice.

[quote name='kainzero']i died twice there because when i wanted to use my tank to fire at the other tank, he missed and hit the gate.

twice.[/quote]
hahahaha. i kept trying to waste the shocktroopers, but they'd just kill my dudes, then it dawned on me: stop trying to kill them and wait for the tank!

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Glad to hear I don't have to do a lot of grinding. I'm surprised to hear you don't use your Shocktroops much. My scouts never seem to be able to do good damage, especially against enemy shocktroops. Everyone for me is leveled up equally so far.[/quote]

Grinding isn't necessary, but this is one of those rare games when I actually wanted to grind. Except for a few stages I played most of the skirmishes at least a few times on my first playthrough, just to try out different strategies.

yea even without much grinding, by the end i had money to buy all weapon upgrade, most trees, and still had a few hundred thousand left

grinding is nice if you want to get all your troops to Master level though (lv 20)

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']quick question: the DLC, are you able to get XP there and use it in the main campaign or the only unlocks are new weapons?[/quote]

Short answer: No. Two of the three DLC are missions run outside of the book...they're run before you even say "load game". The last DLC adds an extra difficulty to Skirmish, but it kinda expects you to be max level to complete. So, while you will gain exp and money, it's doubtful you'll have any use for it.

Not to say there's no reason to go for the A-Rankings. Edy's mission offers different endings based on rank, and A-Ranking all of Selvaria's missions allows access to her fourth mission, which allows you to finally play as a valkyrur.

As for new unlocks, Edy's mission rewards nothing. It's only really worth it if you like the characters involved in the mission and want to hear more of their voice work/personalities. Selvaria unlocks an awesome shocktrooper weapon, and Hard Mode EX unlocks a different weapon per skirmish (assuming you beat the ace...which is usually mandatory).

I think there's something like 18 or 19. Can't remember the exact number of chapters. A fair number of the latter chapters have two parts for em, and it's when a number of reports get unlocked (reports are a good source of Story and Potentials for officer-type people), so its pretty easy for the back half of the game to take longer than the front.

You should probably just skip Flowers on the Battlefield once you get to it. If you want to try it...yeah...don't try it.

[quote name='KingBroly']You should probably just skip Flowers on the Battlefield once you get to it. If you want to try it...yeah...don't try it.[/quote]
hoh hoh, now when I get to it, I'll definitely try it!

I just started playing a few days ago (just did the mission after you get to the headquarters) and this game is awesome, so far it seems like the sequel to FFT I've been waiting for since the PS1 days.

Wholly crap -- EX hard mode is really kicking my butt. I'm tempted to watch some Youtube videos to learn how to at least start Attack of Bruhl cause I can't get any traction before getting blown up 3 ways to Sunday.

bread's done
Back