VGM VS. The World: 5th Strike (Fighter Thread 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='GuilewasNK']It actually is. Ping issues are with the ISPs that people use, not the Live service itself.[/QUOTE]

It's not just the lag. The userbase is garbage, their feedback system isnt that great, etc.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Virtua Fighter 5 (only if they make the damn controls a little more friendly to newbies... and I'm not a noob, and I still have trouble playing it).[/QUOTE]

More friendly? There are only 3 buttons, and 99.9% of the commands are incredibly simple ... how could it get any easier? :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']More friendly? There are only 3 buttons, and 99.9% of the commands are incredibly simple ... how could it get any easier? :lol:[/QUOTE]

if a 14 y/o girl did it for you? :whistle2:s

you can go live with a modded box :) You can boot with or without the modchip. but the second you turn it on with the modchip, you get banned.
No kaillera for it or anything...the dev scene is kinda tired and everyone's just waiting for the 360.

Pmed ya VGM

Oh yeah-- I'll be on 3rd strike and CvS2 tonight, if anyone wants to play

Looks like Jampack 13 has been pushed back from 9/20 to at least 10/11. Guess the November OPM might be a better bet for that Soul Calibur 3 demo. It means I have 3 more weeks to do things that are not playing Soul Calibur 3. phew

[quote name='Apossum']Guile-- around 8 central, gotta read first[/QUOTE]

Alright. Football will be on, but I'll try to look you up for a quick game or two.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Looks like Jampack 13 has been pushed back from 9/20 to at least 10/11. Guess the November OPM might be a better bet for that Soul Calibur 3 demo. It means I have 3 more weeks to do things that are not playing Soul Calibur 3. phew[/QUOTE]

poor you.....I have about 2 and a half months to do things that are not playing DOA4! :X

Speaking of which, if anyone's interested, that game is looking awesome. You only have a 10 frame window for counters, people on the ground can perform throws and counters, you can bounce people off the ground and juggle them, the wall game has changed, a lot of hit properties have changed, frame advantages switched up, the animation is INCREDIBLE...it sounds like a pretty aggressive game so far.

Alright. Football will be on, but I'll try to look you up for a quick game or two.

Sounds good :)

[quote name='Apossum']Guile-- around 8 central, gotta read first[/QUOTE]
How good are you? If I'm not going to get completely dominated, I might show up

XBLSN: HumpedBurrito

[quote name='Apossum']poor you.....I have about 2 and a half months to do things that are not playing DOA4! :X

Speaking of which, if anyone's interested, that game is looking awesome. You only have a 10 frame window for counters, people on the ground can perform throws and counters, you can bounce people off the ground and juggle them, the wall game has changed, a lot of hit properties have changed, frame advantages switched up, the animation is INCREDIBLE...it sounds like a pretty aggressive game so far.

Sounds good :)[/QUOTE]

10 frames is a lot though.

10 frames is way too much for something as heavy as a counter.

In Soul Calibur 2, a GI is active in frames 1 though 9 and ends at about 40-frames overall.
I believe you have 8 frames to break most throws?

A few people have auto-counters, which I suppose would be the closest equivalent to DOA's counters. Though I dont know the frame data off any offhand, I can guarantee you they are extremely short and generally arent even practical enough for most people to use.

Check it:
the window was 22 frames before(crazy, eh?)....and from the vids, it looks like counters use the same amount of frames as the other games, which of course will lead to plenty of punishment. Ahh, and the counter damage is back to DoA 3 style(they take about 75% less damage than Ultimate), with the 4 point system of DoA:U (and plenty of special counters for each character. only a couple had em before. they mostly involve set-up and escapes, rather than auto-damage.)

On top of this, the speed of the game is faster than doa 3, making counters even less viable of an option.

as a upper mid-level player, I am very pleased. :D

shit, gotta get to my homework now....

[quote name='SilverPaw750']How good are you? If I'm not going to get completely dominated, I might show up

XBLSN: HumpedBurrito[/QUOTE]
...Appossom?

[quote name='Apossum']Speaking of which, if anyone's interested, that game is looking awesome. You only have a 10 frame window for counters, people on the ground can perform throws and counters, you can bounce people off the ground and juggle them, the wall game has changed, a lot of hit properties have changed, frame advantages switched up, the animation is INCREDIBLE...it sounds like a pretty aggressive game so far.[/QUOTE][quote name='Apossum']Check it:
the window was 22 frames before(crazy, eh?)....and from the vids, it looks like counters use the same amount of frames as the other games, which of course will lead to plenty of punishment. Ahh, and the counter damage is back to DoA 3 style(they take about 75% less damage than Ultimate), with the 4 point system of DoA:U (and plenty of special counters for each character. only a couple had em before. they mostly involve set-up and escapes, rather than auto-damage.)

On top of this, the speed of the game is faster than doa 3, making counters even less viable of an option.

as a upper mid-level player, I am very pleased. :D[/QUOTE]

It's sounding pretty good ... whenever I get a 360 (probably won't be this year) it'll be one of the first things I pick up, along with PGR3.

and really, how ever many frames it takes to do anything, you're going to have to subtract at least a couple of frames if you're playing online once you react.

[quote name='SilverPaw750']...Appossom?[/QUOTE]

sorry dude, just noticed yer post, and I just got done playing...I'll be on CvS2 tomorrow night. I'm about average at most fighting games and pretty good at DoA:Ultimate.

and really, how ever many frames it takes to do anything, you're going to have to subtract at least a couple of frames if you're playing online once you react.

definitely. depending on the type of lag, of course. sometimes it goes into slow-mo, which makes countering extremely easy :lol:

[quote name='Apossum']sorry dude, just noticed yer post, and I just got done playing...I'll be on CvS2 tomorrow night. I'm about average at most fighting games and pretty good at DoA:Ultimate. [/QUOTE]
Hmm - I just have GGX2#R and SFAC in the way of Live fighting games...you got either of those?

[quote name='Apossum']
definitely. depending on the type of lag, of course. sometimes it goes into slow-mo, which makes countering extremely easy :lol:[/QUOTE]

I think there might be a technical term for playing fighting games under these conditions.

Broken

Anyone get Urban Reign for PS2? It's a Namco beatem up styled game from the dev team behind Tekken and Soul Calibur series. I was actually suprised at it's depth.(Remind you it's not a true fighting game)...

Regarding the game. I really enjoy playing a 4 player battle or battling with other people... it reminds me of playing wrestling games on the N64 with a mix Tobal and of other fighting games.

Also regarding Dead or Alive 4. I am VERY pleased to hear about the changes. I find it funny that Itagaki(who detests Tekken), is making changes that are making his game more similar to Tekken. Okizeme is actually going to be more like Tekken now, which is something I've been wanting for awhile. I just hope that instead of just lows hitting OTG... that moves that look like they should hit OTG, will hit on the ground.

Did anyone catch the coverage on arcade sticks from last weeks Tokyo Game Show? I'm very pleased at what was available for display. Hori is bringing a new version of the Hori Real Arcade Pro, dubbed the "Hori Real Arcade Pro 2." Pretty much it's a Hori Real Arcade Pro Special Addition... All Sanwa parts, quick disconnects, and identical layout to the SA/SE.

The Hori Dead or Alive 4 Joystick is supposedly wired and can also be played wirelessly. Looks very interesting, but from first glance it looks to be a typical Hori stick. At least it has 6 buttons.

The biggest suprise was the emergence of TopGear revealing two Playstation compatible arcade control panels! In a dual format and single format, TopGear(Sega) will be releasing this stick sometime in Winter. The great news is that their sticks will be all Sanwa parts and have quick disconnects.

Pictures can be found here:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20050918/ggl.htm

Althought I'm more of a Happ fan, Those new Hori sticks sound pretty sweet.

Oh and about the Itagaki thing, I find that humorously ironic. I bet he's a closet Tekken fan :roll:

Also regarding Dead or Alive 4. I am VERY pleased to hear about the changes. I find it funny that Itagaki(who detests Tekken), is making changes that are making his game more similar to Tekken. Okizeme is actually going to be more like Tekken now, which is something I've been wanting for awhile. I just hope that instead of just lows hitting OTG... that moves that look like they should hit OTG, will hit on the ground.

I was thinking the same thing, almost all the changes are like Tekken (offensive play, ground game, counters with small time frames)

[quote name='MarkMan']Anyone get Urban Reign for PS2? It's a Namco beatem up styled game from the dev team behind Tekken and Soul Calibur series. I was actually suprised at it's depth.(Remind you it's not a true fighting game)...

Regarding the game. I really enjoy playing a 4 player battle or battling with other people... it reminds me of playing wrestling games on the N64 with a mix Tobal and of other fighting games.

[/QUOTE]

yeah, I've been watching urban reign ever since I knew it was made by the Tekken/SoulCal guys... It looks pretty nice. So far I can't judge anything since most of the reviews on the game seem to contradict themselves (gamespot comes to mind)... but as more reviews come out, it'll be a littl more clearer down the line. I'm not into the whole "ghetto-ed out" style of games (such as def jam and pretty much anything EA makes in-house), but this game does have alot of appeal to me. Sadly though my my bank account wont let me pick it up... sucks being poor :(

on the note about DoA4 going to be more like tekken, I thought the same thing when I was reading Apossom's post on the game... most noteably the floor stuff/combos/juggles. Itagaki makes some good games, but he needs to put his ego aside and start realizing his games are not the best in the universe.

I'll probably never pick up a 360 (since I have a small voice in my head that tells me it has high chances of turning out like the dreamcast did, but then again the voice could be wrong :) ... and also the fact that the Xbox was my least favorite system... it was too, uh, american ;) ) so I probably will never be able to sit down and play the only two games that look good to me on the system: DoA4 and Ninety Nine-Nights (striclty for the reason being that Q? Entertainment is making it).

Anyone have some predictions on what Tekken 6 will hold for us in the future? improvements? anything?... I say it will have the same exact storyline as Tekken 5 except, just like the Intro Movie, Panda and Kuma will fight off a ton of Jacks, then Panda will betray Kuma, Kuma explodes... etc... oh, and no more devil jin, just plain old Devil Roger

I think the Tekken-ization of DoA is somewhat of a submission to the series. His talk is just an image/PR thing anyway.

My main concern with the new style is that it will be more mash-friendly on the lower levels of play.

[quote name='Apossum']I think the Tekken-ization of DoA is somewhat of a submission to the series. His talk is just an image/PR thing anyway.

My main concern with the new style is that it will be more mash-friendly on the lower levels of play.[/QUOTE]

i tend to disagree with the fact that it is just an image thing. I actually like what he has to say from time to time (like the one where he said most games out nowadays are shit), but some of it can be out of hand. Yes, his point of view usually does turn a few heads, but don't start putting yourself over other people (ie. saying he could make Pikman better than Miyamoto). I like him and his stuff, but not always what he says.

as for the masher freindly, most people have complained that Tekken is too button-masher freindly, but really, a veteran Tekken player (like myself) has no problem making a button smasher eat the pavement. If DoA4 is more balanced this time, then mashers should be of no problem (unlike the previouse installments... bleh!, I had so much training in that game only to be beaten a ton of times by someone who knew nothing... geeze).

This may come off as a double post but this thread needs a happy bump! common people! where's the bitching and slapping?

just incase anyone can help me out, does anyone have a working Chankast for their computer? if so, please PM me.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']This may come off as a double post but this thread needs a happy bump! common people! where's the bitching and slapping?

just incase anyone can help me out, does anyone have a working Chankast for their computer? if so, please PM me.[/QUOTE]
(A) I haven't commented thus far, but if you want bitching: DOA sucks. I simply don't understand why people enjoy it so much. They've been brainwashed by the nice graphics and bouncing boobs...the fighting engine is merely average. Tekken isn't "awesome" either (I'd give T5 an 8/10), but it's at least very good.

(B) Whats Chankast?

[quote name='SilverPaw750'](A) I haven't commented thus far, but if you want bitching: DOA sucks. I simply don't understand why people enjoy it so much. They've been brainwashed by the nice graphics and bouncing boobs...the fighting engine is merely average. Tekken isn't "awesome" either (I'd give T5 an 8/10), but it's at least very good.

(B) Whats Chankast?[/QUOTE]

(A) Tekken 5 may not appeal to everyone, but it sure is most likely the best fighter of this generation.

(B) Chankast is something that allows you to play DC games on you PC.

... oh and thanks for bitching... it was needed :)

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']i tend to disagree with the fact that it is just an image thing. I actually like what he has to say from time to time (like the one where he said most games out nowadays are shit), but some of it can be out of hand. Yes, his point of view usually does turn a few heads, but don't start putting yourself over other people (ie. saying he could make Pikman better than Miyamoto). I like him and his stuff, but not always what he says.

as for the masher freindly, most people have complained that Tekken is too button-masher freindly, but really, a veteran Tekken player (like myself) has no problem making a button smasher eat the pavement. If DoA4 is more balanced this time, then mashers should be of no problem (unlike the previouse installments... bleh!, I had so much training in that game only to be beaten a ton of times by someone who knew nothing... geeze).[/QUOTE]

--see, it's tough to say with these interviews. you never know what tone he's using or if the translation is making it sound worse than it really is. On top of that, I've read a lot of his interviews and he's clearly more intelligent then to just say "tekken sucks, I can make games better than miyamoto, etc." without a little jest.
Usually his stabs at stuff are buried under a lot of insightful comments about the craft of developing and the industry in general.

but at the end of the day, I don't know, and I really really don't care ;-)

--agreed about the balance

(A) I haven't commented thus far, but if you want bitching: DOA sucks. I simply don't understand why people enjoy it so much. They've been brainwashed by the nice graphics and bouncing boobs...the fighting engine is merely average. Tekken isn't "awesome" either (I'd give T5 an 8/10), but it's at least very good.

GO fuck URSELF NOOB!!! ITAGAKI IS GOD!!! UR OPINION IS WRONG!!1~

j.k. it's simple, beautiful, extremely playable and a lot of fun, but with enough depth to keep things interesting. that's why I like it. and boobs.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento'](A) Tekken 5 may not appeal to everyone, but it sure is most likely the best fighter of this generation.

(B) Chankast is something that allows you to play DC games on you PC.

... oh and thanks for bitching... it was needed :)[/QUOTE]
(A) WHAAAAT?! Have you never touched the gift from god that is Virtua Fighter 4?

(B) Where can I get it? :D

[quote name='Apossum']...and boobs.[/QUOTE]
Bingo. :lol:

[quote name='RelentlessRolento'](A) Tekken 5 may not appeal to everyone, but it sure is most likely the best fighter of this generation.[/QUOTE]

rofl

[quote name='SilverPaw750'](A) WHAAAAT?! Have you never touched the gift from god that is Virtua Fighter 4?[/QUOTE]

ROFL

Silverpaw-- the boobs are nice. you cannot resist their jiggly powers.

Best fighting game this gen? Street Fighter 3:TS
Best 3d? dunno....they're all pretty good.

Well I wouldn't consider Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike as part of the current generation of fighting games.

It had it's time back then, and just recently had a resuregence in competition thanks to Street Fighter Anniversary Edition and the EVOLUTION series of tournaments.

For games that are new, now this is from a factual standpoint based on number of entrants from this year's EVO tournament... for current gen games, Tekken 5 brought the most people with about 268 competitors from all over the world. Virtua Fighter 4 wasn't even there. But rest assured VF has it's following, but it's not as huge here as it is in Japan. Does this prove which game is better? Of course not, that debate would never end and be filled with flames from all sides. But of this generation, IMO it goes to Tekken 5. Tekken 5 hasn't even been out a year yet.

Among others of the newer fighting games such as Capcom Fighting Evolution, DoA: Ultimate, VF 4 EVO, Mortal Kombat Deception were given a chance to be part of EVO, it's just no one showed interest enough to make it happen.

[quote name='The VGM']Gtfo my thread. You're banned for life.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

its too good. you cant deny it!

[quote name='2poor']:rofl:

its too good. you cant deny it![/QUOTE]

WTF are you doing in here! GET OUT!

It's alright, not worth more then the $30 I paid (and IMO not even that much)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back