VIDEOGAME SELLERS TARGETED FRAUD info on half.com / ebay/ amazon

[quote name='Captain Wrong']Your Tammy Roy has a new name:

Buyer: ctgeorge99
Shipping Address:
Jeck Main
618 Pear Street
Carterville, IL 62918

Just got taken for $25 and Halo 3. I'm guessing there's not shit I can do about this either, right? At least Amazon would go to bat wit the sellers rather than just taking the money immediately. The thing that really pisses me off about this is half.com never sent me the Unauthorized Funds email. If I hadn't logged into eBay about a week after it was posted, I'd never have seen it. Furthermore, the date they put it to my eBay account was one day before I shipped. So, I could have prevented this whole damn thing if they'd actually sent me an email. Luckily (I guess,) I've got way too much going on right now to stew about this, but I think I'm done with half.

Seriously, the fact that this is the fourth name address this person is operating with has to count for something, right? You'd think they'd notice a pattern here.[/QUOTE]

UPDATE: after I got the email from half and wrote them back telling them I didn't have tracking as I'd shipped according to their rules which don't require it, I got a email back telling me essentially tough luck I was still going to have to eat it and tut, tut for not using DC. So, I replied with this following:

"This was bought by a scammer who has been using the same address through multiple accounts. Please see this thread for other sellers of videogames who have been targeted by this same buyer: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189537

In all my time of selling via half.com and eBay, I have never once failed to send an item. My feedback is flawless. Receiving a chargeback because a scamer hacked someone's account and half didn't catch it before I shipped the item is unacceptable. I am requesting further communication on this, as I don't understand why I should be required to required to pay the cost for half's security flaws which apparently allow someone to hack multiple accounts.
Sincerly,"

And this morning I got this:

"We have reviewed your account and see that you have an overall good feedback score and there have been no other complaints of non-delivery. As a one-time courtesy, your account has not been debited for this sale.

Please keep in mind our policy is to debit a seller's account if they cannot provide proof of delivery such as a tracking number or delivery confirmation number. However, we would highly recommend that you use Tracking or Delivery Confirmation for any shipments in the future. For more information please review the information regarding shipping using this link:

http://pages.half.ebay.com/help/seller/fulfill.html#toc-10

Thank you for your patience and cooperation with this situation."

Of course, prior to that, I'd gotten a notice from half that I was being debited the cost of the item, so we'll see what happens. Regardless, I thought I'd let you guys know, and of course this is extremely YMMV, but it looks like I may not have to eat the cost of my Halo 3 after all.

I know I should just let this stuff go, but it really aggravates me that I've been selling on eBay since 1998 and have 100% perfect feedback, much of which praising me for fast delivery time, and yet they treat me like I'm the scammer in this case. If eBay doesn't trust their own feedback system, then what's the point?

Also, since this happened, I've read too much stuff about how prevalent scammers have become on eBay and half. I consider myself lucky that this is the first time this has happened, but I'm making sure it's the last becuse I won't be selling on half anymore until they address some of these issues. Between this and Amazon's huge fees, it's getting to the point where I'm seriously considering just dumping my old media at Half Price Books, taking the pennies they offer and moving on. It's just not worth the hassle to sell via half and Amazon that like it was a few years ago.

Sorry for the rant. Hadn't seen stories of anyone getting their chargeback reversed (and mine hasn't been, yet) so I wanted to share.

EDIT: as I was typing this, half credited me the amount of the sale. So, there you go.

I just want to thank the OP, because this thread has saved me from getting ripped off after the first time. Since then, I have been scammed using the chargeback tactic three times. But I now use a tracking number.

However, the last three transactions I have cancelled because it was the infamous 618 Pear st.

I joined because it looks like they have a new scam address. It is:
K Webb
s.gif

6277 4th Street
s.gif

Benton, IL 62812

Here is why I say this...

On Sunday, I sold Killzone 2 to a Kenny Webb at the above address. But on Monday morning, I get an email from Half.com telling me to not send the item because of unauthorized use of a credit card. OK, so I cancell the transaction and relist the game. THREE HOURS LATER, the game sells again to a K Webb using THE SAME ADDRESS, but A DIFFERENT USER ID. I also thought it was suspicious that it was going to Illinois. And looking at the account feedback, NOTHING since 2004 and 13 feedbacks in two days. I wonder if it is another Hacked account???

MORAL OF THE STORY...

BE WEARY OF ANY PURCHASE GOING TO Illinois.

DO NOT SHIP TO
s.gif
6277 4th Street
s.gif
Benton, IL 62812

Check Feedback before shipping even if it is a new address. If longer than a year since their last transaction and then many feedbacks with in the last few days...SCAM!!!

We need to get this guy...

[quote name='NattySlide']On Sunday, I sold Killzone 2 to a Kenny Webb at the above address. But on Monday morning, I get an email from Half.com telling me to not send the item because of unauthorized use of a credit card. OK, so I cancell the transaction and relist the game. THREE HOURS LATER, the game sells again to a K Webb using THE SAME ADDRESS, but A DIFFERENT USER ID. I also thought it was suspicious that it was going to Illinois. And looking at the account feedback, NOTHING since 2004 and 13 feedbacks in two days. I wonder if it is another Hacked account???[/QUOTE]

So, uh... post those user IDs so we can all block them.

Here are the user names....

aznbruin

creep86er

turbotalonpsi

Only "aznbruin" and "turbotalonpsi" are still active and he is currently making purchases with these IDs.

But that is not the point. The usernames are disposable. They mean nothing. They hack an account, use it for a few days and then move on. Rinse, repeat.

Now, even the address seems to be a moving target, as they are not using Pear street anymore. The only surefire, telltale sign is the feedback for the account. That is the ONLY way to get a hint that the account has been hacked.

I have been reading through this thread and i really feel for you guys. I use to have an online game store and i went through a lot of this myself. I just want to say a few things. You have to understand that there is going to always be fraud out there. and fraudsters seem to really like video games. Some suggestions i have is always check the address make sure it is the one registered. If it's a big item call the buyer before you send.

These chargebacks you are getting are from people that have had their credit card numbers or paypal accounts stolen. Don't get upset with them they are victims too. The person you should be mad at is the one living at the address you mailed the package. Or often the guy going to that address and picking up the packages who is just using it as a drop off. You won't get anywhere with the credit card company or whoever processed the payment. Police don't care because it is not the same as a guy walking into a store and stealing a candy bar. That's a crime. In these cases YOU sent it to them. They didnt come and take it from you. Trust me i know i have gone through all this i have tried everything to get these screwballs ripping people off. Only once did i get anywhere with the police. I had a chargeback on gba system package. And it was the address on file with the card. And it was delivered and signed for at that address. I call up the phone number the credit card company had on file to see what's up. And i get a story from this lady telling me her underage son stole her card and used it. They couldn't send it back he had already gone and sold it and she says she isn't paying. I called the local police and told thm about this kid stealing credit cards. And i got my money back on that one. Very rare instance, She was faced with having her son arrested or paying the 180 bucks.
Another interesting one i send out a package of games using delivery confirmation. i always made sure to get it the the right address and everything looked good. Then this guy starts emailing and complaining he has'nt received anything. I am thinking he is trying to rip me off. I am convinced of it. i got a little rude with him but he kept insisting he didnt get anything started threating a chargeback. he had already started posting on ign's message boards blasting me that i didnt send him his 2 gba packages. afetr about a month of this i just sent him two more. I know there isn't anything i could do with these chargebacks. it's cheaper to send more product out then lose the money and pay fees. This time he gets it i used express mail which required a signature, no leaving it at the door crap. I just chalk it up to another loss. About 2 months later i get a letter from usps post master. In it it explains that they have had this package that they caught one of the employees working at the main post office here stealing. They were running some kind of sting and it was a total of 7 packages they had of mine and would be using them in court. They had this scum bag postal worker on video stealing them. This was nearly 3 months after i sent it and they caught him stealing that they tell me this. They couldn't say anything because it was a ongoing investigation to see if anyone else was invloved that worked for them. I felt really really really bad for being rude to that customer and a few others. I just felt like dirt, i never got upset like that with anymore customers after that. My suggestion to all of you out there, just take the hit as a cost of doing buisness, you are going to lose some. Anyhow i assumed i would be getting these packages when they were done with trial. But usps then delivered them to the address nearly 6 months later. Everyone had long got the money back or new product by then. The kid emails me back telling me it arrived to him, i told him just to keep them as well.
I was losing about 20-30k a year on chargebacks about 1.5% of sales. In the videogame buisness 1.5% is huge. I was lucky to clear 6-8% in pofit. You have to look at it as a cost of doing buisness and not get too upset. Most people are honest out there.

Well that's an interesting story, but I don't think any of us do business on your scale. For me selling a few games was simply a way of making a few dollars, so I could offset the price of buying others. In my world, a single charge back of $30.00 is simply too much risk. The system is simply built to assume everyone is honest, and when you find a few dishonest rats it's nearly impossible to get them.

Oh yeah. I get that about people having their CCs hacked. I'm not mad at them. I'm mad at the people, be it eBay or the CC companies, who make it so easy to hack and exploit the system and then expect me to eat the cost. I understand the hackers are always going to be nipping the heels of legit business, but it is their business to stay on top of it, not mine. The fact that several of us have been taken by the same person using different accounts but the same address shows me there's a serious problem on eBay's side and I don't understand how they can expect sellers, who sell trusting that the system is secure, to bear the financial burden of that.

And, of course, the hackers suck too.

And this:

[quote name='dragonjud']Well that's an interesting story, but I don't think any of us do business on your scale. For me selling a few games was simply a way of making a few dollars, so I could offset the price of buying others. In my world, a single charge back of $30.00 is simply too much risk. [/QUOTE]

is also my story. I'm not doing this to make a living and I'm not willing to just write off what is a larger part of what I'm getting in. If that was the case, I might as well start taking everything to Gamestop and accept the pennies they give me. Would be lots less hassle anyway.

I'm pretty sure the original villian is at it again. Just got an order for:

C Turner
14728 Gilmore St #7
Van Nuys, CA 91411

Ebay user name: aznbruin

which had one purchase in 04, and nothing until 24 purchases in the last 5 days, all games, all half.com. Just a heads up.

[quote name='mietha']I'm pretty sure the original villian is at it again. Just got an order for:

C Turner
14728 Gilmore St #7
Van Nuys, CA 91411

Ebay user name: aznbruin

which had one purchase in 04, and nothing until 24 purchases in the last 5 days, all games, all half.com. Just a heads up.[/QUOTE]

Yep, my first charge back came from that fucker.

[quote name='Captain Wrong']UPDATE: after I got the email from half and wrote them back telling them I didn't have tracking as I'd shipped according to their rules which don't require it, I got a email back telling me essentially tough luck I was still going to have to eat it and tut, tut for not using DC. So, I replied with this following:

"This was bought by a scammer who has been using the same address through multiple accounts. Please see this thread for other sellers of videogames who have been targeted by this same buyer: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189537

In all my time of selling via half.com and eBay, I have never once failed to send an item. My feedback is flawless. Receiving a chargeback because a scamer hacked someone's account and half didn't catch it before I shipped the item is unacceptable. I am requesting further communication on this, as I don't understand why I should be required to required to pay the cost for half's security flaws which apparently allow someone to hack multiple accounts.
Sincerly,"

And this morning I got this:

"We have reviewed your account and see that you have an overall good feedback score and there have been no other complaints of non-delivery. As a one-time courtesy, your account has not been debited for this sale.

Please keep in mind our policy is to debit a seller's account if they cannot provide proof of delivery such as a tracking number or delivery confirmation number. However, we would highly recommend that you use Tracking or Delivery Confirmation for any shipments in the future. For more information please review the information regarding shipping using this link:

http://pages.half.ebay.com/help/seller/fulfill.html#toc-10

Thank you for your patience and cooperation with this situation."

Of course, prior to that, I'd gotten a notice from half that I was being debited the cost of the item, so we'll see what happens. Regardless, I thought I'd let you guys know, and of course this is extremely YMMV, but it looks like I may not have to eat the cost of my Halo 3 after all.

I know I should just let this stuff go, but it really aggravates me that I've been selling on eBay since 1998 and have 100% perfect feedback, much of which praising me for fast delivery time, and yet they treat me like I'm the scammer in this case. If eBay doesn't trust their own feedback system, then what's the point?

Also, since this happened, I've read too much stuff about how prevalent scammers have become on eBay and half. I consider myself lucky that this is the first time this has happened, but I'm making sure it's the last becuse I won't be selling on half anymore until they address some of these issues. Between this and Amazon's huge fees, it's getting to the point where I'm seriously considering just dumping my old media at Half Price Books, taking the pennies they offer and moving on. It's just not worth the hassle to sell via half and Amazon that like it was a few years ago.

Sorry for the rant. Hadn't seen stories of anyone getting their chargeback reversed (and mine hasn't been, yet) so I wanted to share.

EDIT: as I was typing this, half credited me the amount of the sale. So, there you go.[/QUOTE]
I shipped a video game to:

T Edwards
618 Pear Street
Carterville, IL 62918

in early April and I just received the chargeback notice a couple days ago. I am going through the same thing you did, so I have sent them an email referencing this forum. I hope I have as good of luck as you did. I can't believe they don't block this address!

I received a letter from the Carterville Police Dept. I thought it was a scam until I googled it and saw this thread. So far, I haven't received a chargedback yet. I hope these scammers go to jail for a long time. Ugh :bomb:

Buyer:
aznbruin

Shipping Address:
K Webb
6277 4th Street
Benton, IL 62812
USA

Yeah I also received a letter from the police department. I didn't realize it was such a long running scam until I googled and found this thread. What worried me was the officer that sent the letter gave a yahoo e-mail address. Seemed kind of weird.

I'll probably e-mail the officer at the yahoo account, but will give a call tomorrow also to the department. Do officers not get their own state e-mail account?

Edit:

The item I sent was to the pear street address from turbotalonpsi.

I just sold another game to someone else in Illinois, and in close proximity to Carterville. This ID has not had a transaction since 2004. I am gonna hold off on sending it to see how many feedbacks come through in the next few days.

mark olsen
s.gif
353 w hickory
s.gif
lombard, IL 60148

EBay ID:

mofive

Does this Amazon buyer ring a bad bell?

Kyle Smetana
1691 Praireview Ln.
Greenfield, IN 46140-7542

also this name (buyer) vivianne kateregga

[email protected]

Bought a game, DC shows delivered at noon today.
But wrote this to me this eve -

Hello Seller!
I was ordered this item :

" Items Ordered
[Video Game]
Condition: New
"

But now,i don't receive anything about my order.
Could you let me know that when i can receive my video game??
I think if your service like that,my feedback for you will not good!
Hope to receive your reply soon.
Thanks!

grrrrrrr:bomb:

Here's another ebay id that may have been hacked. I received an email today from Half.com saying I sold something. I looked at the buyer's feedback and saw that some people have been scammed. Heads up to anyone who sold a game to the following:

Buyer:

94-sup

Shipping Address:

Bryan Morris
1570 Fourth street
Lewisport, KY 42351
USA

I just refunded the money as I do not want to get scammed again. *sigh*

[quote name='donut']Does this Amazon buyer ring a bad bell?

Kyle Smetana
1691 Praireview Ln.
Greenfield, IN 46140-7542

also this name (buyer) vivianne kateregga

[email protected]

Bought a game, DC shows delivered at noon today.
But wrote this to me this eve -

Hello Seller!
I was ordered this item :

" Items Ordered
[Video Game]
Condition: New
"

But now,i don't receive anything about my order.
Could you let me know that when i can receive my video game??
I think if your service like that,my feedback for you will not good!
Hope to receive your reply soon.
Thanks!

grrrrrrr:bomb:[/QUOTE]

Funny how the buyer sends you an email that they didn't receive it on the same day it was delivered!

Same thing, just got the letter from the Carterville Police Department, and I thought that was a scam until seeing this. They say they have the package and are investigating the crime, so hopefully progress is occurring. The user name for my scammer was: turbotalonpsi and I'm currently talking to the Carterville PD about this. I had Delivery Confirmation, so hopefully I'll be able to defend against the accusation.

How do these accounts get hacked? I haven't logged into my ebay account in years. Can it get hacked? Hope all you CAGs get some damn justice!!

[quote name='NattySlide']I just sold another game to someone else in Illinois, and in close proximity to Carterville. This ID has not had a transaction since 2004. I am gonna hold off on sending it to see how many feedbacks come through in the next few days.

mark olsen
s.gif
353 w hickory
s.gif
lombard, IL 60148

EBay ID:

mofive[/QUOTE]

Um, 334 miles is not what I would call "in close proximity."

Should I be worried about a place called Grass Valley, CA. I got two orders placed in the same day for expensive games from different people.

I've only had a fraudulent purchase once on half.com a while back, but half.com warned me pretty quickly so I was lucky.

Nick V Fleming
2320 Bank St
Bakersfield, CA 93304

Just sold something to this guy. Hasn't been around for well over a year, then started purchasing videogame items:
graphicbreakdown ([email protected])

Buyer's shipping address:
Timothy Wapner
5545 Pine Ave
Palmdale, CA 93551 United States

Not sure if I should just refund him to avoid a possible headache.

Has anyone seen this address before?

147-29-182nd Street
Springfield Gardens, New York 11413

I've know I've seen it before, I can't remember if I read about it or shipped there prior.

Now I'm paranoid about a package I sent to Canada via an eBay auction, which the buyer said never came. I refunded his money after I received zero help from Canadian post office, US post office, and eBay. Ebay said something about a tracking number -- which is only used in expensive shipments to Canada. It's entirely possible it's sitting at the customs dept. somewhere, though -- especially since I realized later the post office counter person didn't do a customs form on it.

I got hit with this on 7/7. By 7/21, it was refunded. THANKFULLY I didn't ship the day the order came in.

Ebay (Half) also has a piss-poor way of telling you this order is canceled.

It's quite BS.

Buyer: jebus101
Shipping Address: Tonia Cassella
608 Route 9W
Glenmont, NY 12077
USA

[quote name='erectiontown']so as long as you use a delivery confirmation to one of these bogus buyers, we should be fine right?[/QUOTE]for amazon, to win that fight you need a signature confirmation.

Ya don't send anything to this address:

618 Pear Street
Carterville, IL 62918

The guy is a scammer. He has several accounts with ebay and Half and will always argue the charges right after you can no longer leave negative feed back. Here is some more info I dug up:

The ladies real name is Sandra Williams and her phone number is:

1-618-733-4508

Give her a call and give her a piece of your mind!

Just noticed this thread. I had "Crystal Turner" in Van Nuys try to order from me on Half a bunch of times, and that's a large reason why I don't sell there anymore. (I used to be a huge proponent, too.)

I don't know if it was mentioned earlier, but just in case: Keep track of all the refunds/canceled transaction emails with these scammers, because there's a good chance they'll try to hit you with a chargeback as many as 2-3 months later and it sucks to have to dig through all your records to send eBay proof that. Incidentally, eBay has the absolute worst customer support I've ever encountered.

And :applause::applause::applause: x9999 to the OP for the Sky Commanders avatar. :)

I got hit with 3 sales today with no feedback (why? I do not know). They were not spaced out. 0 feedback concerns me so I'm in no rush to send:

Bonnie Williams
108 Quinn Dr.
Mount Olive, NC 28365
USA

Rachelle Heaton
11590 SW Lomita ave
Tigard, OR 97223
USA

caster troy
114 bavarian dr aprt D
middletown, OH 45044
USA

The flag is two games went the SAME day when I hadn't sold ANY in of that game in a long time. The "Caster Troy" name also doesn't help.

Further research shows that one joined today, one joined 2 weeks ago, and one joined February 2008. Random.

Don't you guys think you're being a little paranoid? I got hit three times with this scam (one was successful, one I had DC so they didn't get away with it, and one had feedback calling them out as a scammer so I canceled the order and never sent in the first place) and yet I still sell stuff with little to no worries. Three bad eggs out of 1000+ sales doesn't worry me.

You can't assume the worst of people just because they just registered, have little feedback, or haven't used eBay/Half in a while. There are a few obvious things you should watch out for, but if you are going to question every sale you get you might as well just quit selling entirely.

[quote name='GF_Eric']Don't you guys think you're being a little paranoid? I got hit three times with this scam (one was successful, one I had DC so they didn't get away with it, and one had feedback calling them out as a scammer so I canceled the order and never sent in the first place) and yet I still sell stuff with little to no worries. Three bad eggs out of 1000+ sales doesn't worry me.

You can't assume the worst of people just because they just registered, have little feedback, or haven't used eBay/Half in a while. There are a few obvious things you should watch out for, but if you are going to question every sale you get you might as well just quit selling entirely.[/QUOTE]

We are talking about people that havent use their account for a few years and suddenly buying 20+ games in a short peroid, it is a huge red flag.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Well, I really don't blame anyone for being paranoid. And needless to say, I wouldn't be shipping anything out to Caster Troy.[/QUOTE]

Only if you're sending it as Sean Archer

[quote name='GF_Eric']Don't you guys think you're being a little paranoid?[/QUOTE]

Even without other suspicious signs that they could be a scammer, it's good to be cautious with a new user. I'd usually send them a friendly email just asking them to confirm their address.

[quote name='62t']Only if you're sending it as Sean Archer[/QUOTE]

:applause:

That Pear Street address still remains "at large" and we all know about it. Why don't we just mail that address a cobra or a hand grenade with the pin tied to the box lid?

I mean, besides the jail time.

From my OP:

What to look for:

They typically order on Monday/Tuesday because the item has to be shipped by Thursday/Friday. That way they get the item before half/ebay contacts the seller.

Look for a recent feedback on the ebay ID within the last few days. Notice they have made several purchases all on half.com on the same day. Here is an example of one of the IDs they have used: http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...ab=AllFeedback

How to protect yourself:

Send an email through the half.com system and verify the mailing address.

Send with delivery confirmation so when half asks for proof it was shipped, you have it.

Keep a log of the addresses you ship to so you can flag the ones where fraud is committed.

[quote name='Shinoto']Has anyone seen this address before?

147-29-182nd Street
Springfield Gardens, New York 11413

I've know I've seen it before, I can't remember if I read about it or shipped there prior.[/QUOTE]

I got another order placed from this address, I've knew I seen them before.

Some hits seem legit, others seem like allot of credit card fraud.

Is there something to this address that keeps getting it to pop up for me

Here's another one that I got today. I looked at the feedback and they have bought a lot of games in the last few weeks. The account was idle for a year until recently.

Buyer:
dhua4976
Shipping Address:
Dennis Dwyer
11024 balboa blvd #323
Granada Hills, CA 91344
USA​

[quote name='ovareez']Here's another one that I got today. I looked at the feedback and they have bought a lot of games in the last few weeks. The account was idle for a year until recently.

Buyer:
dhua4976
Shipping Address:
Dennis Dwyer
11024 balboa blvd #323
Granada Hills, CA 91344
USA​
[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I got the same user with a different address:

2004 14TH STREET CT W
PALMETTO, FL 34221
USA