Washington D.C. Metro area.

lurknomore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Old post Edited for effect and max. exposure.....

The 5th DC Metro area CAG Meet-up/Game Swap

Dave & Buster's
White Flint Mall - 3rd Floor
11301 Rockville Pike
North Bethesda , MD 20895

3:00 pm onward ...(we have been going 3 hours+)

Saturday, April 26th

who plans to attend-
thebob101
lurknomore
G-Nitro
jmiller80
MCalvert1
cleaver - unless he is drafted in the 1st round
s0undwav3
abhinav- maybe
FlamingMoogles
GenDV138 - maybe

BTW, we have had minors (-18) join us before at D&B without issue. If you are a minor and wish to attend without your own guardian, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone # if you are concerned...and I'll walk you in. Again, it hasn't been an issue yet.

Any CAGers around here? Really disappointed as the scene pales in comparison to Boston's video gaming scene. Any suggestions or local mom and pop shops? The Maryland-Virginia-DC area seems to be pretty weak.

[quote name='anubis20']I just went there about 8 pm and the line was huge didnt even bother getting out of the car. This might be my first console launch defeat.[/QUOTE]

My first launch console defeat. I even managed to get a 360 with ease, without pre-ordering or waiting.

Which CC is this?

I checked Walmart, and Best Buy yesterday. They were empty. But... for the 360 launch it was crazy. So it will be crazy again I expect.

(This is Columbia MD)

Matthew

Checked CC and BB in Gaithersburg, both have lines already. BB Gaithersburg even has like 3 tents set up by people waiting in line.

FYI, I talked to the manager at BB Rockville and he told me they are removing people who are lining up for PS3 until 24 hrs prior to release. They are releasing it Friday at 8am. So that means you can line up starting at 8am on Thursday for PS3. Good luck for those on the hunt for PS3!

If they don't remove those people, all hope is lost for the Rockville CC. 150 in line for 100 PS3s. Although apparently DC-101 is giving away some free ones.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/15/150-line-up-for-ps3-in-rockville-md/

edit: Although who knows, I remember seeing some survey they did of the general public who were interested in buying a PS3 and 58% thought that it was going to cost $300 or less. Outside of gaming news sites, the price hasn't been well publicized. Maybe some of these fools wasting their lives don't know how much it costs and won't have the money when it comes time to pay for it.

I just saw Sue Palka (Fox 5 weather) is at CC in Rockville and it looks there is a crap load of people waiting. It is supposed to rain tonight. I hope they all get wet and get the flu.

Or better yet, that somebody sneaks into the manager's office and steals all 100 of the PS3s. And then nobody realizes until those tent idiots get their vouchers. I couldn't believe that there wasn't a gamer among them in the line. They were interviewing these idiots, and every single one of them said that they were Ebay-ing it. Not a single gamer. What a waste. I wish that Sony just came out tomorrow and said that they would sell it for $1000. $400 going to charity, to prevent a PR hit.

I just went by the Tenleytown BB on my way home. Looks like about 30 people are camped out there with tents and everything already. If you were thinking about that place, I'd go soon.

[quote name='Rich Lather']If they don't remove those people, all hope is lost for the Rockville CC. 150 in line for 100 PS3s. Although apparently DC-101 is giving away some free ones.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/15/150-line-up-for-ps3-in-rockville-md/

edit: Although who knows, I remember seeing some survey they did of the general public who were interested in buying a PS3 and 58% thought that it was going to cost $300 or less. Outside of gaming news sites, the price hasn't been well publicized. Maybe some of these fools wasting their lives don't know how much it costs and won't have the money when it comes time to pay for it.[/quote]

Yeah i just told of this thread aswell and live in the rockville area, anyone know any spot where there might be a shot to get a PS3? I am willing to go Thurs morning or is someone wants to camp out as a group nowish we could do it together. Any ways send me a PM or something

I figure if you don't have preorder or not sitting in line right now, don't even bother trying to get one. The actual launch numbers are really low and it is just unfortunate that this launch is going to be worst than the one for PS2.

CC ir Largo Town Center only has 11 they are all spoken for. They are all 60gb versions and I am number 8. I am typing this from the broadband kiosk inside the store.

LOL...God doesn't like people camping out for PS3 to sell on eBay! fucking tornado watches all day, crazy rain, those people are at least being miserable for their ill-gotten gains.

[quote name='boozi']Doesn't seem like that... There was a circuit city employee outside the place and it didn't seem like she started to kick them out... Also, there was a sign that said Playstation 3 Line Up starts here :X[/quote]
A crack reporter from one of the DC news stations was at the Rockville Circuit City yesterday around 5:00 and that place was jumpin'....If you weren't in line yesterday, you ain't gotta chance.....

Let the madness begin...:boxing:

I just thought of something. I just called the Sony Style stores in Tyson's Corner and Pentagon City, and they both said that they had PS3s to sell. Anyone know if there are lines there. I wouldn't think so, but who knows?

[quote name='lurknomore']I just thought of something. I just called the Sony Style stores in Tyson's Corner and Pentagon City, and they both said that they had PS3s to sell. Anyone know if there are lines there. I wouldn't think so, but who knows?[/quote] its worth a shot

I was curious about the Sony Style store in Tyson's too so I stopped by today. The guy said they took no pre-orders and would be selling PS3s, but wouldn't tell me how many they had. Obviously no campers directly outside the store in the mall. I didn't see any tents outside this afternoon, but I didn't do a full lap of the mall. It's probably as good as place as any to painlessly get a PS3 since I doubt too many people have thought of it. And for those who forget where it is in the mall it's on the second floor near the new wing with the AMC theater.

[quote name='adidas']Arundel Mills Bestbuy Getting 25 Units... And No One Can Stay...[/quote]
Going to be a madhouse. I was there around 3 AM. I would estimate around 40 people milling around. Security said couldn't be on Mills property, but didn't seem to be moving anyone. I decided that I couldn't run as fast as the college kids and left.:cry:

I seriouisly doubt there is a ps3 to be had in this area, I was thinking about driving to Milton, DE, but decided that was way too far of a drive for a console (even if it is selling for thousands).

Drove around...was a madhouse pretty much everywhere I went. Drove to the Frederick Target, and there weren't but 20 people there...but at that point in the morning, I was pretty burnt out from seeing the lines everywhere. I really wish that Sony just should these suckers for $1000 and gave the extra $400 away to charity. This would have lessened the lines some....and allowed gamers to get their hands on some of these units.

This is insane. Sad part about it is that most of the systems are going up on eBay. I will now wait until they fix everything and come down in price.

On that note, I am going to buy a 360 HD player with the money I saved.

I didn't even bother going out and taking a look. I know everyone is sold out by now. Now sunday, here i come Wii!!! Only problem is if i go out and get it on Sunday, what do i do with the Wii arriving on Monday? Decisions, decisions.

[quote name='greenhorn']Going to be a madhouse. I was there around 3 AM. I would estimate around 40 people milling around. Security said couldn't be on Mills property, but didn't seem to be moving anyone. I decided that I couldn't run as fast as the college kids and left.:cry:[/quote]

You might have seen me :D

Anyways yeah that place we a dud, i didnt get a chance to even camp out, there were people EVERYWHERE, this launch was done before it started.

I checked a few places (Sony Style and FYE at Tysons didn't have any) and forget about the area Targets/TRU and I'm just plain scared to go to Walmart now a days around here.

The thing that bothers me about the PS3 launch was that they would show it on the news and 80% of the people they interviewed were only in it for the money. How they could make $2000 or more on it. They asked one guy how he felt and he said, "$2000 richer". I guess legally there's nothing wrong with buying to sell but sometimes I wonder what the country's come to with so many people trying to make a "quick buck".

[quote name='bradr']I checked a few places (Sony Style and FYE at Tysons didn't have any) and forget about the area Targets/TRU and I'm just plain scared to go to Walmart now a days around here.

The thing that bothers me about the PS3 launch was that they would show it on the news and 80% of the people they interviewed were only in it for the money. How they could make $2000 or more on it. They asked one guy how he felt and he said, "$2000 richer". I guess legally there's nothing wrong with buying to sell but sometimes I wonder what the country's come to with so many people trying to make a "quick buck".[/QUOTE]
I kinda agree with you, but think about the people who really need the money... Well, if they have a good/valid reason for putting it up on eBay, might as well do it, but if they don't...... It's kinda bad :X

I am going to Circuit city on rockville tomorrow to get a Wii, do you think they will have shortage on the system? I heard some people camp for wii.. :whistle2:\

[quote name='maxgle']I am going to Circuit city on rockville tomorrow to get a Wii, do you think they will have shortage on the system? I heard some people camp for wii.. :whistle2:\[/QUOTE]
They only had 19 which sucks I guess the quest to get a wii is a bust for me

[quote name='thebob101']Overheard the chick at the Wheaton GS say that their Montgomery Mall store received 150 Wii's. Might be the place to score one.[/QUOTE]

That is either a lie, or they are sold-out...as my younger brother and his wife went there to score one, and they did not find one. Who knows?

I walked into GS this morning a bit after 11 am and there were people in line. A female worker went up to the line and said they only had Wii's for pre-order folks and that the stores in Montgomery Mall were getting 150 each and opened at 11 am. A hoard of folks rushed out of the store, I assume to go to Montgomery Mall. She might have been lying to get them out of the store, but that doesn't make sense if a rack of people complain about being mislead. The FYE in Wheaton said they had to fill all pre-orders and then they were going to open sales of the Wii to the general public. When that is, the worker had no clue (and it wasn't the same cool guys from the trade 2 get 1 free deals.

[quote name='thebob101']I walked into GS this morning a bit after 11 am and there were people in line. A female worker went up to the line and said they only had Wii's for pre-order folks and that the stores in Montgomery Mall were getting 150 each and opened at 11 am. A hoard of folks rushed out of the store, I assume to go to Montgomery Mall. She might have been lying to get them out of the store, but that doesn't make sense if a rack of people complain about being mislead. The FYE in Wheaton said they had to fill all pre-orders and then they were going to open sales of the Wii to the general public. When that is, the worker had no clue (and it wasn't the same cool guys from the trade 2 get 1 free deals.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, spoke to soon. Apparently my brother misspoke. The mall had set up about 7 kiosks running the Wii and various games. And there was a line for the Gamestop/EB that was running all the way around the mall. He didn't want to wait, so there may indeed be 100+ Wiis there. But he was told that that line was for those that had pre-ordered. I'm thinking that there may be truth to what you heard........

I figure that in a couple of weeks, the Wii will be available. The ps3 eBay prices have already dropped quite a bit. I expect the Wii's to do the same within a week.

I heard that the CC Rockville only got 30 of the 100(?) PS3's it was advertising. Heard second hand so I don't know how true but I was under the impression they were giving away 50 for sure to the first 50 in line and then 50 more through out the night through raffling. So if they really only did get 30 I'd expect it to get crazier than it already was.

Oh yeah, I was at TRU to pick up a Wii this afternoon from my preorder and this guy told me he'd been to all the electronics stores (EB, GS, BB, CC, Walmart, Target from Rockville up to Frederick) today and the Wii was sold out everywhere. Again second hand, but I think Nintendo is having better luck manufacturing/distributing Wii so they'll be easier to acquire over PS3

i got the crazyest wii story. i got out a little before 7 went to target first just find out that they had gave out all their tickets. From there i went to the rockville cc and they only had 19 units and the people outside had made tickets out of cardboard pizza boxes. from there i went to best buy and the line was way way way too long. I went to toysrus and same the had a big big line. So i decide to go compusa and they didnt have any so we waited in front of the gamestop in federal plaza. The manager got there at 10:50 and told us he did have any extra but the mont. mall had at least 300( really only 120ish) we me and my home drove over there and got in to this big line they had. We didnt think we would be lucky but we got the last two tickets at 11:00 am . It took us three hours to get our systems.

DC, Rockville, and Wheaton are all sold out of Wii's. I tried asking at TRU, BB, and Target when they will get more but no seems to know. Although this week I am going to MI for the holiday, if anyone spots any in stock help a feller CAGer out :).

[quote name='StealthGear']DC, Rockville, and Wheaton are all sold out of Wii's. I tried asking at TRU, BB, and Target when they will get more but no seems to know. Although this week I am going to MI for the holiday, if anyone spots any in stock help a feller CAGer out :).[/quote]

Ok i have an extra Wii that i might be willing to sell for $265- $300 or i might just return it to EBgames (my roomate was going to buy it off me but he found his own so now i am stuck with a second Wii)

Also everyone i asked (that would respond to me) said second shipments of Wii's and PS3s would arrive on Black Friday which means that we must get our CAMs (Cheap Ass Mothers) to camp out for the Wii/PS3 and their other cheap nicknacks. Huzzah!

[quote name='abhinav']Ok i have an extra Wii that i might be willing to sell for $265- $300 or i might just return it to EBgames (my roomate was going to buy it off me but he found his own so now i am stuck with a second Wii)

Also everyone i asked (that would respond to me) said second shipments of Wii's and PS3s would arrive on Black Friday which means that we must get our CAMs (Cheap Ass Mothers) to camp out for the Wii/PS3 and their other cheap nicknacks. Huzzah![/quote]

PM me about the Wii

[quote name='Sc4rfac3']Anybody having any luck finding the wiimote? i need a extra one[/quote]
Sure,

CCity online, $34.99 + tax and free shipping

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Nintendo-Wii-Remote/sem/rpsm/oid/165800/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

You guys, remember to use something like ebates so you can get a little back.

Annnnnd, if you want Nintendo component cables but are NOT in a rush, you can get them from Play-Asia for $24.90 + $4.70 SH = $29.60, but you'll have to wait until December. Hell, it's cheaper than the cable alone from store.nintendo.com

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-10u-49-en-70-1mwi.html

I was just able to score a 20 gig ps3 from Laurel, MD BB. My brother was able to get a 20 gig from Wheaton, MD BB. I believe they will have more on Black Friday.

[quote name='thebob101']I was just able to score a 20 gig ps3 from Laurel, MD BB. My brother was able to get a 20 gig from Wheaton, MD BB. I believe they will have more on Black Friday.[/quote]

Lucky, my parents checked Rockvill and gaith and both were sold out. Bah.

Thanksgiving Night 11/23 9:00pm

I just went to the CompUSA in Vienna. I knew that they were going to be opened from 9pm until Midnight so I thought that I could breeze into this empty store and pick up a couple of things before the rush tomorrow. When I arrived there right at 9pm, there was a line about 400-500 (yes, hundred) people long waiting to get in. If you've been to that CompUSA, the line was wrapped around the strip mall all the way around the corner on both sides.

Needless to say, I just kept driving and left.

Was CompUSA offering something THAT good or is it just that they're the only store open at this time?

* Edit: I just looked at the ad. There's a $200 rebate with activation of a phone but how many of those can the cell phone guys do in three hours?

bread's done
Back