We had to import RPG Thread XII from Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
God will smite thee for playing Persona 2: Innocent Sin. And on a Sunday morning, of all days! You should be going to church or watching football!!! :lol:

Kinda sorta RPGish, but anyone getting the X-Men Destiny game? I'm thinking about doing the TRU deal and get that $25 gift card.

[quote name='2DMention']God will smite thee for playing Persona 2: Innocent Sin. And on a Sunday morning, of all days! You should be going to church or watching football!!! :lol:[/QUOTE]

I'm at work watching football and I brought my PSP with P2 in it. I haven't played it much today though. :p

Guys, can we talk about Ys: Oath in Felghana?

It was really cool.

But the difficulty curve was stupid, because it starts out really, really damn tough and then gets far easier.

But overall it was sweeeeeet.

Gonna play Persona 2: IS in a week... after Ico/SOTC.

Point is: Ys is one of the most tragically overlooked RPG series in the US. This and Ys Seven are fantatsic and nobody seems to realize it :(

All this talk about Demon's Souls has made me want to play it again, I restarted and so far I've finished 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, and 5-1.

None of the bosses were too hard but I've been looking up videos of them before I fight them just to get an idea of what is going on, except 5-1 where I accidentally wandered into the boss room, while plagued, but managed to figure out a way to cheese the boss and had enough healing items to stay alive.

Also, I had a Black Phantom invade today, but he promptly got killed by a dragon's fire in 1-2, haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chacrana']Guys, can we talk about Ys: Oath in Felghana?

It was really cool.

But the difficulty curve was stupid, because it starts out really, really damn tough and then gets far easier.

But overall it was sweeeeeet.

Gonna play Persona 2: IS in a week... after Ico/SOTC.

Point is: Ys is one of the most tragically overlooked RPG series in the US. This and Ys Seven are fantatsic and nobody seems to realize it :([/QUOTE]

Ys Seven is fucking amazing. I'm glad the Vita port of IV (I think it's IV) is going to have the same mechanics as Seven.

[quote name='jello44']Ys Seven is fucking amazing. I'm glad the Vita port of IV (I think it's IV) is going to have the same mechanics as Seven.[/QUOTE]

Oooh, I didn't know the IV remake was gonna play like 7. I'd just assumed it'd be a quick and dirty port of the PC remake of IV from a few years back...

[quote name='Chacrana']
Point is: Ys is one of the most tragically overlooked RPG series in the US. This and Ys Seven are fantatsic and nobody seems to realize it :([/QUOTE]

Agreed, sadly the PSP itself is often overlooked here. Shame since now there are quite a few good games that sell used for nearly nothing.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Agreed, sadly the PSP itself is often overlooked here. Shame since now there are quite a few good games that sell used for nearly nothing.[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of sub-$10 PSP games at Gamestop and such, but good luck actually finding any of them. Most of the NISA stuff is impossible to find, much less complete, and it's driving me nuts. I didn't own a PSP until 2009 and I'm really regretting jumping into the library late.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Agreed, sadly the PSP itself is often overlooked here. Shame since now there are quite a few good games that sell used for nearly nothing.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. People seem to still have it in their mind that it has no games...which was never really true.

[quote name='elessar123']ZZZ after some XXX? Where does Q come in? =P[/QUOTE]

Wherever he wants.

Q_big.jpg

[quote name='icebeast']Wherever he wants.

Q_big.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I had this response ready but wasn't sure how many people in here watched Star Trek:

xpq04z.jpg

In terms of PSP gaming I'm having a lot of trouble picking P3P up again. Only 15 hours in and I guess it's just not a type of game I enjoy (though initially I had thought I found a new favorite franchise). It's just, eh, the social links aren't interesting, funny, cute, deep or anything to me. I just feel like I'm grinding out the days of the week so I can do some more damage when I'm back in Tartarus. And then there's Tartarus...you just keep climbing and climbing and climbing.

Too grindy for me, I'm surprised it wasn't made by Koreans. I'm open to trying P4 though, maybe I'll like the characters better.

--

Then I'm still finishing up Tactics Ogre which also requires copious amounts of patience to grind out a new class to a usable level (you level classes as a whole, instead of individually). The final boss was not beatable for me as you need a strong team of melee, so I'm grinding that party out now -- thank god for multiple save files.

--

Dissidia Duodecim. I guess I just suck at this game, I like the music though.

--

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, think I'm on the final chapter. But it's been so long I don't even know how to play anymore.

--

Jeanne D'Arc, solid SRPG, but I can only take so much SRPG.

Maybe I'll grab Valkyria Chronicles 2 or Half-Minute Hero next..

Agreed. All that school dating social link crap in P3P was a waste of time to me. I play video games to avoid that stuff. I only wish someone would of warned of about it before I wasted money on the game.

[quote name='fwbweux']I had this response ready but wasn't sure how many people in here watched Star Trek:

xpq04z.jpg
[/QUOTE]

lol

Also, I just realized Dark Souls comes out in like as week. Gonna really have to buckle down to finish Xenoblade before then...

[quote name='fwbweux']There are plenty of sub-$10 PSP games at Gamestop and such, but good luck actually finding any of them. Most of the NISA stuff is impossible to find, much less complete, and it's driving me nuts. I didn't own a PSP until 2009 and I'm really regretting jumping into the library late.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I meant amazon/ebay I really don't shop at Gamestop anymore the prices aren't competitive and the selection on even new slightly older titles is really hit or miss.

Also I checked and I don't have a single NISA PSP title.:lol:

[quote name='whoknows']Pretty much. People seem to still have it in their mind that it has no games...which was never really true.[/QUOTE]

Yep, in the past I always figured it was an excuse for people not wanting to spend money on another system but the used price has really dropped since Vita is launching soon. Picked up a 2000 for $50ish shipped on ebay, works flawlessly other than the fact that I only got the USB charge cord. With a lot of games $5-10, I've put the rest of my game purchases on hold for the moment.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Oh, I meant amazon/ebay I really don't shop at Gamestop anymore the prices aren't competitive and the selection on even new slightly older titles is really hit or miss.

Also I checked and I don't have a single NISA PSP title.:lol:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='whoknows']Pretty much. People seem to still have it in their mind that it has no games...which was never really true.[/QUOTE]

Yep, in the past I always figured it was an excuse for people not wanting to spend money on another system but the used price has really dropped since Vita is launching soon. Picked up a 2000 for $50ish shipped on ebay, works flawlessly other than the fact that I only got the USB charge cord. With a lot of games $5-10, I've put the rest of my game purchases on hold for the moment.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, think I'm on the final chapter. But it's been so long I don't even know how to play anymore.[/QUOTE]

Unless by some miracle you managed to complete all the requirements for the good ending (which is basically impossible your first time through, since to get it you have to do the opposite of what the game tells you to do, and even after your first play through there are still a few other flags you have to get which make it difficult without a guide) it probably isn't worth finishing.

That game is one of my best friend's favorite games, so I had high expectations. And the combat system is great in VP, but the regular ending is terrible, like seriously get ready for the most anti-climactic boss fight and ending ever and basically being told you screwed up and should have done things differently (although not specifically what you need to do to get the good ending). After that I had no motivation to restart the game to actually try and finish it with the good ending so I could actually have a plot with an ending.

[quote name='matrix9280']Agreed. All that school dating social link crap in P3P was a waste of time to me. I play video games to avoid that stuff. I only wish someone would of warned of about it before I wasted money on the game.[/QUOTE]

I really like the social link parts of Persona 3 and 4, but then again character driven stories are my favorite, and I really like the little side stories of the social links.

[quote name='Chacrana']Point is: Ys is one of the most tragically overlooked RPG series in the US. This and Ys Seven are fantatsic and nobody seems to realize it :([/QUOTE]

I love me a good action RPG and I just discovered how awesome the Ys series is a few years ago. So far I only played Ys Book 1 & II, Ys III, and Napishtim. I'm going down the list and trying to get to all of them. But I have to say this series is notorious for remakes and different versions making it a bit confusing on which version to play. But I agree, it's way overlooked considering how much people love their Zelda over here.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Yep, in the past I always figured it was an excuse for people not wanting to spend money on another system but the used price has really dropped since Vita is launching soon. Picked up a 2000 for $50ish shipped on ebay, works flawlessly other than the fact that I only got the USB charge cord. With a lot of games $5-10, I've put the rest of my game purchases on hold for the moment.[/QUOTE]

It's definitely nice how cheap games on PSP can be. It can easily keep someone busy for a long time.

I've been buying games on PSN though due to the Vita and preferring to play on the PSP Go.

[quote name='Rodimus']Kinda sorta RPGish, but anyone getting the X-Men Destiny game? I'm thinking about doing the TRU deal and get that $25 gift card.[/QUOTE]

I'm getting from Amazon. They were selling the game for around $45 + 10 Game credit.

[quote name='matrix9280']Agreed. All that school dating social link crap in P3P was a waste of time to me. I play video games to avoid that stuff. I only wish someone would of warned of about it before I wasted money on the game.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised by that.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I was expecting and looking forward to it. Just got old fast for some reason.[/QUOTE]

I can understand that. I didn't bother trying to Max out all my Social Links. I found a few of them to be boring so I dropped those.

[quote name='Chacrana']Point is: Ys is one of the most tragically overlooked RPG series in the US. This and Ys Seven are fantatsic and nobody seems to realize it :([/QUOTE]
I played through Ys VI PS2 and I&II DS, and was pretty disappointed by both of them. I'll give it another chance when the Ys Vita game comes out.

[quote name='matrix9280']Agreed. All that school dating social link crap in P3P was a waste of time to me. I only wish someone would of warned of about it before I wasted money on the game.[/QUOTE]

LMAO! Did you even read a review of it before buying it? Or the back of the box? Or ANYTHING?

Seriously, how does someone not know about the social link stuff?

[quote name='keithp']LMAO! Did you even read a review of it before buying it? Or the back of the box? Or ANYTHING?

Seriously, how does someone not know about the social link stuff?[/QUOTE]

I hated all the reading. I mean, come on. This is a video game. We shouldn't have to read lines and lines of text. Why didn't anyone warn me about all the words? ... :booty:

I have been enjoying the Social Link stuff in P3P. Plus since I learned that I can actually control my teammates in battle, I have been putting some serious time into it.

This does make me want to play Persona 4, but on that new sweet Vita version.

I really love the Social Link stuff in Persona, but they don't really get particularly interesting until you get them to around level 3 or so, since that's when the people start to open up more. I haven't played the portable version, but I don't think I'd like the way they streamlined the non-Tartarus stuff into menus since I like walking around.

About to play Chrono Trigger (original form) for the first time, any tips or dumb stuff I should watch out for (e.g. using Kimarhi in FFX)?

Not really, Chrono Trigger is pretty strait forward. I guess if there's anything to warn you about choose not to fight
Magus
when you meet him very late in the game and
he'll join you.
Not sure if that needed spoilers but I'll play it safe.

[quote name='panzerfaust']About to play Chrono Trigger (original form) for the first time, any tips or dumb stuff I should watch out for (e.g. using Kimarhi in FFX)?[/QUOTE]

Don't open treasure chests in the past if you still want them to be there in the future. That way you can open them in the future and then the past (and this is necessary to get certain items in the game). I think that only applies to special chests though.

[quote name='elessar123']I voted yes, but it'd really depends on quality and price. If it's a good quality figure, I'd probably pay an extra $60. If it was an extra $100, I probably wouldn't buy it. If it was

[quote name='ihadFG']Don't open treasure chests in the past if you still want them to be there in the future. That way you can open them in the future and then the past (and this is necessary to get certain items in the game). I think that only applies to special chests though.[/QUOTE]
to be more specific, you open the black treasure chests in the past, but you DON'T take what's inside. so once you can open them, go to them, it'll ask you if you want to take it, say no, then go to the future and take them. then go to the past and take them again.

(of course as a kid you're like, "WHY THE HELL WOULD I OPEN A CHEST AND NOT TAKE WHAT'S INSIDE?!")

that sounds almost as bad as FFXII's "lol if you loot that random vase you can't get the ultimate weapon lololol"

you should read that in the voice of some japanese developer.

Speaking of figures I think there is a very high probability I will buy this one. I've always wanted one of Aegis, and unlike a few I've seen where the face looked a little off this one looks like a perfect recreation of the artwork of her. It's a little expensive, but this is one of the only figures I've ever REALLY wanted. I still love my Aegis chibi plush as well though, I think they'll probably look great together. :D

Although i am a little worried about having it shipped so far since it looks like it might be a bit fragile around where her leg connects to the base, hopefully the packaging is good.

[quote name='panzerfaust']that sounds almost as bad as FFXII's "lol if you loot that random vase you can't get the ultimate weapon lololol"[/QUOTE]
That's still worse, yeah. The stuff you can get by checking-but-not-emptying CT's black chests right away is really good, but no ultimate weapons are involved, IIRC.

Also, to add on to the tip even more: the black chest trick only applies to the ones in two specific time periods (thank goodness).

[quote name='icebeast']Although i am a little worried about having it shipped so far since it looks like it might be a bit fragile around where her leg connects to the base, hopefully the packaging is good.[/QUOTE]
I would save Play-Asia as a last resort, in that case. The larger boxes they use for shipping figures... aren't that good. AmiAmi, Hobby Search, and HLJ all have her for preorder at various discounts.

[quote name='blueshinra']I would save Play-Asia as a last resort, in that case. The larger boxes they use for shipping figures... aren't that good. AmiAmi, Hobby Search, and HLJ all have her for preorder at various discounts.[/QUOTE]

Thanks blueshinra I'll probably look into those other options. Actually one of the reasons I posted was that you've proven to be fairly knowledgeable about figures in the past so I figured I'd mention it and maybe get some helpful feedback, and I did. :D

[quote name='panzerfaust']About to play Chrono Trigger (original form) for the first time, any tips or dumb stuff I should watch out for (e.g. using Kimarhi in FFX)?[/QUOTE]

Chrono dies
. Also, so does
Spike

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back