We had to import RPG Thread XII from Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya I couldn't get into Demon's Souls either, mostly because it felt like the game was trying to control when I played it rather than the other way around. Basically I would die and then feel like I was going to have to play a bunch more to get my corpse back. And for me, corpse runs weren't fun back in old MMOs, and they still aren't fun now. :lol:

Also, I wish I was in the Diablo III beta, I want that game so much. :hot:

On consoles, I typically only play shorter games too. On handheld, I can usually rack up a couple of RPGs a year.

Didn't get far into Demon's Souls myself, cause tying up the TV doesn't make things fun. Beat the tower guard or whatever, and the dragon in 4-1 or whatever, and that was about it. Want to get back to it, but I say that with a lot of games.

EO3, IMO, is easiest of the three for the majority of the game... It's now kicking my butt. I'm on floor 20, just unlocked Alarune or whatever boss, who kicked my ass. Two was the easiest, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Cheska19']Persona 2 get! Who else picked it up?[/QUOTE]
:wave: I'm putting aside FFXI to run through this. Really looking forward to it.

[quote name='blueshinra']So, difficulty aside (though I'm currently not sure if Etrian Odyssey III is easier than the previous games)... anyone here get into the Diablo III beta?[/QUOTE]
I didn't, but for some reason I really want to, even though I've never liked overhead isometric loot RPGs. I think the hype has taken me.

[quote name='blueshinra']So, difficulty aside (though I'm currently not sure if Etrian Odyssey III is easier than the previous games)... anyone here get into the Diablo III beta?[/QUOTE]
No DIII beta for me, but I am really not interested in DIII. Just because of the way they are doing the whole economy with the real money. It's not that I am against the idea, more so I know all the best items will be put only for real money which will defeat the purpose.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']No DIII beta for me, but I am really not interested in DIII. Just because of the way they are doing the whole economy with the real money. It's not that I am against the idea, more so I know all the best items will be put only for real money which will defeat the purpose.[/QUOTE]
Huh? Aren't all items obtainable via drops? It's not like you would have to pay real money to get some items.... it would just be a lot easier.

Yeah, I didn't think Blizzard was selling any items, just taking a cut when players sell items to other players. Which means the players found/made the items in the first place.

Diablo 3 looks amazing. Hoping I can get into the beta after having been in the last two for WoW and SC as well. The whole economy thing seems interesting and, personally, I think it was a good move on Blizzard's part. They might as well make some money out of it since people were buying items in Diablo 2 anyways.

On a completely unrelated note - I'm thinking of getting either Nier or The Last Remnant, but been looking for some input on this. Which one do you guys personally prefer?

[quote name='Luxuria']On a completely unrelated note - I'm thinking of getting either Nier or The Last Remnant, but been looking for some input on this. Which one do you guys personally prefer?[/QUOTE]

Both games are not without their flaws. I didn't really get into Last Remnant, but I know people who enjoyed it. Nier on the other hand I did beat and liked. Above par story but also pretty dark which I found refreshing. Lots of tedious side missions, but you're not required to do them (unless you want to get all the endings.) The game mixes a lot of different elements for a very unique and weird experience. It's also the first time in a long time I could relate to the main character.

I started playing dragon quest monsters 2, and I have to say it feels a bit slower than the old one; The interface feels a great deal slower than the original.

Then again, I'm only about 30 minutes into the game and I'm not used to everything yet. who knows.

[quote name='Backlash']Yeah, I didn't think Blizzard was selling any items, just taking a cut when players sell items to other players. Which means the players found/made the items in the first place.[/QUOTE]
Yup.

My husband got into the beta (lucky!) and he played last night, using a Monk character. He really enjoyed it, even though he was never much into those types of games (he does like WRPGs in general, though).

Saw him play for a tiny bit. It looks good visually, but of course I expect that from Blizzard. Haven't seen enough of the gameplay to go into detail on that.

[quote name='BattleChicken']I started playing dragon quest monsters 2, and I have to say it feels a bit slower than the old one; The interface feels a great deal slower than the original.

Then again, I'm only about 30 minutes into the game and I'm not used to everything yet. who knows.[/QUOTE]
You mean Joker 2? That's out now? Thanks for the reminder; just checked and Amazon's shipped my copy. Don't know when I'll start it though, especially since DQVI is still in the shrinkwrap.

I hate your husband.

[quote name='pete5883']Huh? Aren't all items obtainable via drops? It's not like you would have to pay real money to get some items.... it would just be a lot easier.[/QUOTE]

Actually I'm pretty sure he's trying to say that everybody who finds a very rare drop will end up selling it for real money as opposed to in-game money, making it difficult to obtain without farming and getting lucky. However not everybody will do that, though there will be people who watch the auction house like a hawk just to buy it with in-game money and re-sell for real money. Of course you'll also have people outside of the auction house that will trade for it either in chat or through game names just like Diablo 2. I think you'll see a lot of people test the waters, but I don't think it will be a predominate as some people make it out to be once people get over the initial $$$ aspect and decide it's too troublesome or you don't make enough.

You will also need to keep in mind that there is no ninja-looting in Diablo 3 as well. What drops on the ground, only you see. What everybody else will see on the ground will be their own stuff (which you won't see). You can then further trade it to other users in the current game or give it away. So it's not like you'll be getting screwed out of loot, it will just be random chance like everybody else.

Finally, I think many of us here may ignore the public aspect of multiplayer and stick to CAG or friend made games. Which completely negates everything. Hell, if it came down to it you could get a group together to farm, say, Mephisto as an example and be completely open about drops and just split any profit if you all go for selling for real money as everybody in the game put effort into getting the loot. I don't know about anybody else, but I have zero issues with giving items away to other people in my game even if I could sell it for $20. I play for fun, not for profit and it's no fun when you make enemies with everybody you play with because you never feel the need to want to share.

TLDR; We don't know for certain what the entire playerbase is going to shift towards or what the economy will actually be like. Sir_Fragalot is just assming the worst possible scenario. Though it'd be nice if they made a realm (Like US East/West) that didn't have the real money auction house.

I'm much, much more worried about inflation in that case. In every game I've ever played with premium items from cash shops, inflation is exponential. Adding an unlimited* external source of value always have detrimental effects. See Goozex for example, and what happened when they started selling points -- and made worse when they sold it for half off. Now the balance of points to games available plummeted.

Blizzard isn't selling anything from what I understand. It's all strictly player to player auctions in both the cash auction and normal auction. So a cash shop comparison isn't exactly the right analogy. The closest thing we have would be something like the old west gold rush or illegal auctions in MMOs (Which isn't great either since many are deterred by the illegal aspect that could net them a ban if caught). There are probably better analogies out there but my brain is dead while I sit here at work wasting away until someone comes back from Lunch so I can get mine.

Even better Xseed is doing the localization so it wont be Ignition messing up another game

Also hope if the US server is separated there will be enough people playing it

[quote name='BattleChicken']I started playing dragon quest monsters 2, and I have to say it feels a bit slower than the old one; The interface feels a great deal slower than the original.[/QUOTE]
this made me recall the days of the gbc dqm...

oh, the rejoicing when you picked up a key to a world that had an all metal floor...

I read a review of DQM: Joker 2 in I think it was Game Informer? and I think I will be passing on it. Seems too pokemonish for me. I'm an ardent fan of the Dragon Quest games, but just can't get into the spin offs, for whatever reason. Although I didn't try swords. I think the last spin off game I played was the original DQ Monsters for the GBC?

Started up a game of Persona 2 and have to say that the setting of High School brings back bad memories and makes it painful for me to play. I have to be in the right mindset to play that game, but I'll play it through to completion and beat it, mark my words. I'm playing it on easy because I can't handle higher difficulties.

[quote name='2DMention']Started up a game of Persona 2 and have to say that the setting of High School brings back bad memories and makes it painful for me to play. I have to be in the right mindset to play that game, but I'll play it through to completion and beat it, mark my words. I'm playing it on easy because I can't handle higher difficulties.[/QUOTE]

Have you played Persona 3 or 4? That might just force you to actually relive your high school years.

Sorry for the double post

The new Kingdom Hearts game makes me want to vomit. As if the series wasn't lame enough they include the annoy douche from TWEWY & HamsterZ.

Have you played Persona 3 or 4? That might just force you to actually relive your high school years.

Yes, I've played both, and enjoyed both of them. They were VERY DIFFICULT for me, though, and I didn't play enough to get the true endings (I youtubed them lol)

[quote name='2DMention']Yes, I've played both, and enjoyed both of them. They were VERY DIFFICULT for me, though, and I didn't play enough to get the true endings (I youtubed them lol)[/QUOTE]
i thought they were both easy, except for the BS deaths (insta-death spells on protagonist). and in p3, stupid AI.

[quote name='2DMention']I read a review of DQM: Joker 2 in I think it was Game Informer? and I think I will be passing on it. Seems too pokemonish for me. I'm an ardent fan of the Dragon Quest games, but just can't get into the spin offs, for whatever reason. Although I didn't try swords. I think the last spin off game I played was the original DQ Monsters for the GBC?[/QUOTE]
I haven't so much as gotten my copy of Joker 2 yet, but the first Joker is essentially Pokemon with Dragon Quest monsters and aesthetics. Pokemon is much deeper (and better), but Joker is enjoyable for what it is.

Demons Souls. Ugh. I couldnt even make it past the first level. (Where you can't level up and there's no checkpoints! Fun!) I only put maybe two hours into it.

I enjoyed playing the first DQM Joker although I couldnt beat the final boss.

Why are the few :ps3: RPGS (Atelier, Ar Qu(Whatever), Hypderdimenison Neptune, etc) so difficult to find and when I do find them (usually at gamestop) they're still full price at $59?

[quote name='blueshinra']I haven't so much as gotten my copy of Joker 2 yet, but the first Joker is essentially Pokemon with Dragon Quest monsters and aesthetics. Pokemon is much deeper (and better), but Joker is enjoyable for what it is.[/QUOTE]

I might hold out for a deal because I'm unemployed right now and don't have a job. I'd like to support the game, but just can't, and I've got a huge backlog as it is.

[quote name='kainzero']i thought they were both easy, except for the BS deaths (insta-death spells on protagonist). and in p3, stupid AI.[/QUOTE]

Yea, those got me too with the BS deaths. Couldn't stand it. I hated the AI in P3. I have it for the PSP and haven't played it, but in the move to my new house, I lost the fucking game somewhere in my boxes. It'll turn up, but I wanted to play it after I beat 2.

[quote name='2DMention']I might hold out for a deal because I'm unemployed right now and don't have a job. I'd like to support the game, but just can't, and I've got a huge backlog as it is.[/QUOTE]
I hear ya. The only reason I preordered was that I wanted to support it, otherwise I would've waited for it to go on sale.

[quote name='blueshinra']I hear ya. The only reason I preordered was that I wanted to support it, otherwise I would've waited for it to go on sale.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it'll pop up as a deal of the day, but I've been staying well away from the video game deals page and daily deals because I just don't have the money to spare on it right now. :(

Just popping in to say hi to my RPG THread peeps. CAG is blocked at work so I don't get here nearly as much and it is just enough to try to catch up on reading threads.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Just popping in to say hi to my RPG THread peeps. CAG is blocked at work so I don't get here nearly as much and it is just enough to try to catch up on reading threads.[/QUOTE]

Good thing then that this thread isn't as active anymore since we stopped talking about Persona and FF.

[quote name='distgfx']Let's talk about Dark Souls. It looks sweet and I wanna buy it.[/QUOTE]

I'll admit that Demons Souls frightened me out of playing it, I just don't think it's the kind of challenge I'd enjoy in a game. I feel the same way about this one, though I certainly see the appeal.

hopefully Dark Souls features some better boss encounters, better platforming, maybe better mechanics for spells, and less random holes in the floor :bomb:

what else would go on the wish list....?

well you can't jump or anything, and they had that one part where you have to drop down some mining shaft. had to turn my brightness all the way up to see the landings. shit was dumb.

[quote name='panzerfaust']well you can't jump or anything, and they had that one part where you have to drop down some mining shaft. had to turn my brightness all the way up to see the landings. shit was dumb.[/QUOTE]
To be fair, you didn't have to jump down the mineshaft. That was just the short cut to the boss.

Demon's Souls was unforgiving and brutal, but truly enjoyable as nearly every death was a result of a mistake, as opposed to poor controls or cheap enemy design.

Controls/camera led to deaths a few times for me, such as making me fall to my death. And then having to repeat the whole level because of it annoyed me, so I got rid of it.

Now that there's checkpoints I'll give it another shot.

[quote name='panzerfaust']well you can't jump or anything, and they had that one part where you have to drop down some mining shaft. had to turn my brightness all the way up to see the landings. shit was dumb.[/QUOTE]

Is that the place off to the side in the beginning of 1-1? I remember having to fall onto some rafters in order to get down a shaft. I don't remember what for though.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']To be fair, you didn't have to jump down the mineshaft. That was just the short cut to the boss.[/QUOTE]

A shortcut that didn't save me much time, because by the time I got to the bottom I had to waste time healing myself from the fall damage (and I'm cheap/stingy with grass so I did it with spells and waited for my MP to regen :D )

[quote name='Indignate']Is that the place off to the side in the beginning of 1-1? I remember having to fall onto some rafters in order to get down a shaft. I don't remember what for though.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure it's a reference to 2-2's shortcut to Flame Lurker. fucking hate that bitch! Took me soooo long to get him the first time. Took like a minute in NG+.... haha (learned about the glitch standing behind the pile of bones he can only rarely get around)

I seriously cannot wait for Dark Souls to get here. So hyped!

[quote name='icebeast']There were a couple times where I wasn't sure if I would die if I jumped down, so I did... and I died. #-o[/QUOTE]
Isn't that what the bloodstains are for? ;)

[quote name='panzerfaust']I have 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 3-1 all down. So I'm almost half-way through DS, I assume.[/QUOTE]

You should do 4-1 asap. I would probably have done that right after 1-1 and 2-1.

Also, I can't wait for Dark Souls. I'll have a lot more time for games because I just tore my ACL (surgery on Tuesday) so I can't do any physical activity (other than PT) for awhile. Of course, I can only play DS after my kids are in bed....oh, well.

[quote name='whoknows']
Now that there's checkpoints I'll give it another shot.[/QUOTE]
You keep saying this, but trust me the "checkpoints" work just as they did in Demon's Souls. You have to beat the boss of the area before you get to one.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']You keep saying this, but trust me the "checkpoints" work just as they did in Demon's Souls. You have to beat the boss of the area before you get to one.[/QUOTE]

Well that kills my interest in it. I hate repeating things in games.

It doesn't make the game harder, it just makes it more tedious.

Is there something that explains the checkpoints? Because that's not how it looked like at all from gameplay I saw.

[quote name='kainzero']alpha protocol on steam for $2!

was this game any good?[/QUOTE]

It's like a poor man's deus ex ... so somewhat, but it's definitely worth $2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back