We won't get a proper sequel until after RPG Thread VIII-2!

[quote name='blueshinra']Do we all have to wear short shorts and use dresspheres in this thread?[/QUOTE]

I call Dark Knight because they are awesome and I don't need to wear short shorts then.

[quote name='blueshinra']Do we all have to wear short shorts and use dresspheres in this thread?[/QUOTE]

Hope so. :bouncy:

FFX-2 >>> FFXIII, discuss.

[quote name='Amblix']We have RPG Thread Versus VIII as well before a proper sequel.[/QUOTE]

Followed by the inevitable, RPG Thread Versus VIII-2.

I thought those were required in all RPG threads.

Anyway, is FF X-2 worth a run through or should is it the sort of game that you'll know if you wil lfinish it or not in an hour of gameplay?

[quote name='momouchi']Anyway, is FF X-2 worth a run through or should is it the sort of game that you'll know if you wil lfinish it or not in an hour of gameplay?[/QUOTE]

You will probably know fairly quickly, if you like the combat enough and don't mind the mission structure you will be able to make it through probably, but don't hold your breath expecting the plot to ever get good.

Yeah, the plot of FFX-2 is on some serious crack, but I liked the overall lighthearted feel and what nonlinearity it had. Also, I'm a sucker for job systems, and FFX-2 has a great one.

Like icebeast said, you will know whether or not you'll like it soon after starting it. It's the type of game which establishes its tone, structure, etc. pretty much right from the start.

X-2 was some serious fun. It was a ridiculous game but if you can stomach that kind of fan service then it's a pretty decent RPG.

I have a feeling XIII-2 will also be ridiculous, but darker toned. I mean, what plot could they possibly have made to justify what Lightning is wearing in that trailer? It's badass, but it will probably be so over the top.

Fine by me though. Square really put all their chips in with this XIII business. The game must have been in development for a while now.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='whoknows']Was it the most funnest RPG ever?[/QUOTE]

No only Unlimited SaGa is worthy of that title.

[quote name='blueshinra']Yeah, the plot of FFX-2 is on some serious crack, but I liked the overall lighthearted feel and what nonlinearity it had. Also, I'm a sucker for job systems, and FFX-2 has a great one.[/QUOTE]

I think the plot more bothered me because it just made little sense how the characters transitioned from FFX, like the light heartedness was fine although the main villains for most of the game feeling like Team Rocket was a bit annoying as well, I guess I just wanted a more intelligent rival, oh and I think the skimpy clothing was a bit over the top in some cases.

[quote name='icebeast']You will probably know fairly quickly, if you like the combat enough and don't mind the mission structure you will be able to make it through probably, but don't hold your breath expecting the plot to ever get good.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='blueshinra']Yeah, the plot of FFX-2 is on some serious crack, but I liked the overall lighthearted feel and what nonlinearity it had. Also, I'm a sucker for job systems, and FFX-2 has a great one.

Like icebeast said, you will know whether or not you'll like it soon after starting it. It's the type of game which establishes its tone, structure, etc. pretty much right from the start.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='panzerfaust']X-2 was some serious fun. It was a ridiculous game but if you can stomach that kind of fan service then it's a pretty decent RPG.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much all of this is true. It's why I like it so much. The plot is pretty stupid, but it's a very enjoyable RPG that let down its hair, so to speak. Instead of being super serious, it's just fun.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I have a feeling XIII-2 will also be ridiculous, but darker toned. I mean, what plot could they possibly have made to justify what Lightning is wearing in that trailer? It's badass, but it will probably be so over the top.

Fine by me though.[/QUOTE]
Hopefully. :bouncy: I like RPGs that aren't 100% dead serious the whole time.

I guess I ignored all the other Square news because XIII-2 had all my attention. The Versus footage was rather stunning in terms of what they seem to be doing with the gameplay. I saw some footage of legit third person shooting, and the standard sword play looked pretty baller. Amazing art direction IMO, for some reason I'm not totally hyped yet but I have a feeling it might be amazing. The game's theme or whatever music they are using in the trailer is epic.

And Agito renamed to Type 0, and is going to be the first PSP game to come on two UMDs (30 fully voiced characters, apparently). I missed the leaked trailer but all in all I'm very happy with the news.

I think the thing to consider is that FFX-2 changed the things people complained about in FFX - the battle system was downgraded back to ATB, the sphere grid went away...

I'm wondering if FFXIII-2 will move away from the hallway simulator, and give more control back to the players... in an attempt to fix what people viewed as wrong with the original.

IMO, they're only doing this because they already have the art assets, and making a new game around the engine is less expensive than building a new thing from the ground up. I suspect their dev costs will be WAY lower on XIII-2... which also will mean the story will be of FFX-2 quality.

Time will tell! All I know is that every friend of mine with similar tastes abhorred FFXIII so much I still haven't bothered to pick it up. An 80 hour linear game just doesn't sound fun to me.

[quote name='momouchi']I thought those were required in all RPG threads.

Anyway, is FF X-2 worth a run through or should is it the sort of game that you'll know if you wil lfinish it or not in an hour of gameplay?[/QUOTE]

Glad I'm not the only one *readjusts...

Anywho, X-2 is actually not that bad, just don't go in expecting X (assuming, like me, you really enjoyed X). It was really my own fault that I didn't realize it was such a drastic departure.

Hey.
Men don't wear dresspheres, they wear kiltspheres.

[quote name='icebeast']No only Unlimited SaGa is worthy of that title.
[/QUOTE]
I'm gonna play through that game once I finish Romancing SaGa.

I like SaGa in general, but one thing I hate is trying to find out where all the quests are, the game is no fun when you're wandering around not knowing what to do. I think SaGa is the only game where I encourage the use of the guide.

[quote name='kainzero']I'm gonna play through that game once I finish Romancing SaGa.

I like SaGa in general, but one thing I hate is trying to find out where all the quests are, the game is no fun when you're wandering around not knowing what to do. I think SaGa is the only game where I encourage the use of the guide.[/QUOTE]

I've played about 2 hours of Unlimited SaGa as a bit of a joke for a friend to see how long I could last playing the game. I chose the fortune teller. The plot was fairly awful. And once I hit the third dungeon which was a basically board game (like all the dungeons), but also a maze with a fog of war where you couldn't see more then the square you were currently on, but somehow I stumbled half way through to a town where I could save and then I told my friend I was done and would never play that game again.

Man, I've played Saga Frontier and Saga Frontier 2. Hated them both, especially Saga Frontier. That game can go fucking die.

Just having "Saga" in the title of Unlimited Saga makes me never want to play it, not even taking into account all of the bad reviews.

[quote name='Amblix']We have RPG Thread Versus VIII as well before a proper sequel.[/QUOTE]
It's part of the Fabula Nova Cheapassa project.

[quote name='pete5883']It's part of the Fabula Nova Cheapassa project.[/QUOTE]
:lol:

Now I'm wondering... what would Dissidia RPG Thread look like?

Anyone currently playing multiple RPG's? Right now I'm playing Riviera: The Promised Land, Yggdra Union and Final Fantasy XIII.

[quote name='icebeast']I've played about 2 hours of Unlimited SaGa as a bit of a joke for a friend to see how long I could last playing the game. I chose the fortune teller. The plot was fairly awful. And once I hit the third dungeon which was a basically board game (like all the dungeons), but also a maze with a fog of war where you couldn't see more then the square you were currently on, but somehow I stumbled half way through to a town where I could save and then I told my friend I was done and would never play that game again.[/QUOTE]
I played about 2 hours as well, and I didn't think it was bad. At first I was like "WOW WHAT THE HECK MY ATTACK IS A SLOT REEL?" but when I think about it, it doesn't really make a difference.

Again, once you figure out the game works, it's actually pretty fun.
I liked SaGa Frontier, didn't like SaGa Frontier 2. When I first played SF I was like, what the hell is going on. But once you know the locations, know the quests, and know how the proceed, it's a decent game.

I quit X-2 after about an hour with extreme prejudice, but I did play it shortly after finishing X, which I liked a lot. X-2 was not the sequel I wanted, but if I went back to it now, it might be OK.

I got the Chrono Trigger itch a couple days ago, but I decided to replay Valkyria Chronicles instead. I loved VCII, but the original is in a league of its own.

[quote name='Kotomine']Anyone currently playing multiple RPG's? Right now I'm playing Riviera: The Promised Land, Yggdra Union and Final Fantasy XIII.[/QUOTE]

WoW, FFIX, Baldur's Gate II, Persona 3 Portable.

Don't have enough time, but at least I'm never bored.

[quote name='Kotomine']Anyone currently playing multiple RPG's? Right now I'm playing Riviera: The Promised Land, Yggdra Union and Final Fantasy XIII.[/QUOTE]

Playing Valkyria Chronicles 2(finished the story just doing extras), Persona 3:Fes(replay), Final Fantasy XIII, and Digital Devil Saga 2(near the end)

[quote name='BattleChicken']I think the thing to consider is that FFX-2 changed the things people complained about in FFX - the battle system was downgraded back to ATB, the sphere grid went away...

I'm wondering if FFXIII-2 will move away from the hallway simulator, and give more control back to the players... in an attempt to fix what people viewed as wrong with the original.

IMO, they're only doing this because they already have the art assets, and making a new game around the engine is less expensive than building a new thing from the ground up. I suspect their dev costs will be WAY lower on XIII-2... which also will mean the story will be of FFX-2 quality.

Time will tell! All I know is that every friend of mine with similar tastes abhorred FFXIII so much I still haven't bothered to pick it up. An 80 hour linear game just doesn't sound fun to me.[/QUOTE]

It's mostly just the first 40 hours of the game that cling to the linearity. It's after you complete the game that you're allowed to go around and have a bit more fun. The game itself really wasn't as bad as the masses made it out to be.

I'm like 20 hours into DQIX and feel like i've been wasting time doing nothing. I just beat the boss at the all trades abby.

[quote name='kainzero']I played about 2 hours as well, and I didn't think it was bad. At first I was like "WOW WHAT THE HECK MY ATTACK IS A SLOT REEL?" but when I think about it, it doesn't really make a difference.[/QUOTE]

I didn't learn that you could press R3 to rest and heal until well into the second dungeon (since outside of that town I made it to in the middle of the third dungeon you can't leave a dungeon to go to an inn (I'm not even sure there are inns) and you expend Turns or something when you press R3 which comes into play I guess when you do dungeons with Turn limits). The game also has no tutorial and the R3 to rest is only mentioned in the very back of the manual as a Tip.

[quote name='panzerfaust']WoW, FFIX, Baldur's Gate II, Persona 3 Portable.

Don't have enough time, but at least I'm never bored.[/QUOTE]

How is your brain still functional after being assaulted with that sheer combined awesomeness. Outside of WoW (never tried) those are some of the best RPGs ever imho.

whooo!! I like how they announced Devil Survivor for 3DS!!

it means I can sell my DS copy for the monies!!

ebay! ebay! ebay! ebay! ebay!

and I can use the money to buy me Pier Solar!!

I went back and decided to finish up Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3. On chapter 11 now and upgraded my Scouts to elite status, which I was unaware that there was an upgrade, so that's a nice surprise.

I'm also starting up Dungeon Siege 2. I've played a couple hours before, but hopefully I'll get around to playing a good chunk of it this time.

Dungeon Siege was the first game I ever bought myself. I was like 11-12. After that it was Warcraft III, my mom took me to gamestop and I told the guy I wanted the Night Elf box :D
I'm reminiscing for no reason now.

Isn't Square publishing or developing Dungeon Siege 3?

[quote name='panzerfaust']Dungeon Siege was the first game I ever bought myself. I was like 11-12. After that it was Warcraft III, my mom took me to gamestop and I told the guy I wanted the Night Elf box :D
I'm reminiscing for no reason now.

Isn't Square publishing or developing Dungeon Siege 3?[/QUOTE]

Man I have no clue what the first game I bought on my own was, I mean I guess it depends on what you mean by on your own too, haha; I do remember working one summer helping my dad when I was younger and he paid me for helping him out and so I bought GTA III and Chrono Cross. Obviously it had been a few years since Chrono Cross had come out, and at the time it did come out I had rented it and hated it because it wasn't like Chrono Trigger and it wasn't much like other RPGs either. But that summer I bought Chrono Cross because I wanted to give the game another chance and I started it and finished it and for some reason, perhaps those few years had broadened my horizons or maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance the first time, I totally loved it because it wasn't like Chrono Trigger and it didn't tie in how you would think and because the gameplay, skill, and leveling system were so different but they felt like they worked perfectly. In addition to being one of the games that I bought on my own, it is also maybe the biggest change of heart I've had for a game.

In regards to Dungeon Siege 3, I think Square-Enix is publishing and Obsidian is developing it; so we can expect a buggy mess with a lackluster story but alright to fairly good gameplay depending on who you ask (unless Obsidian really steps it up from what they've produced on their previous projects).

[quote name='icebeast']
In regards to Dungeon Siege 3, I think Square-Enix is publishing and Obsidian is developing it; so we can expect a buggy mess with a lackluster story but alright to fairly good gameplay depending on who you ask (unless Obsidian really steps it up from what they've produced on their previous projects).[/QUOTE]

The original creator of Dungeon Siege is advising the development of the game and personally reviewing each build of the game, so I'm more hopeful for this than Obsidian's previous projects. I'm just wondering how the console versions will fare with the PCs.

[quote name='Indignate']I went back and decided to finish up Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3. On chapter 11 now and upgraded my Scouts to elite status, which I was unaware that there was an upgrade, so that's a nice surprise.

I'm also starting up Dungeon Siege 2. I've played a couple hours before, but hopefully I'll get around to playing a good chunk of it this time.[/QUOTE]

I need to go back and finish Valkyria Chronicles too. I stopped around chapter 8 or 9. Same with Strange Journey, especially since I stopped near the end of Grus. I have a few hours a day, but I always manage to waste them all doing next to nothing.

I had no interest in it after low review scores, but I gave Nier a try based on GAF hype and it's been interesting so far. There is a strange variety - in one dungeon the POV was overhead, and it kinda played like an old Zelda. The last dungeon I played through was isometric. One town plays like a text adventure. The tone is grim, and I like it.

Yeah, right now I'm going through Atelier Iris 1 on the PS2, Final Fantasy VI on the GBA but actually on the DS, Fallout 3 GOTY on PC, and Pokemon Diamond on the DS. What game I choose to play is pretty much based on what system I feel like playing

Quick Blue Dragon question: When your shadow appears, is there any significance if there is an element appearance too (ie, rocks burst forth from ground, shadow looks on fire, etc) or is it just for show?

[quote name='Zmonkay']Quick Blue Dragon question: I hate all of you, every one dies Dumbledore style![/QUOTE]
Spoiler tags man. :(

[quote name='Zmonkay']Quick Blue Dragon question: When your shadow appears, is there any significance if there is an element appearance too (ie, rocks burst forth from ground, shadow looks on fire, etc) or is it just for show?[/QUOTE]

Never really noticed this.

[quote name='Rodimus']Never really noticed this.[/QUOTE]

It's been a couple of years since I played through it, but I don't remember noticing that either.

I really enjoyed the first SaGa Frontier. I probably played through it a dozen times back in the day. Beat it pretty much every way.

[quote name='Amblix']Spoiler tags man. :([/QUOTE]

You're kidding, right? I mean, the freaking shadow dragon is on the cover... it's the main gimmick of the game, lol.

Anywho, I don't think it has any significance, just a graphical effect.

I pre-ordered Neptunia, but I wonder how the battle system is.

I've only played like 2 NIS games (Ar Tonelico 2 and Trinity Universe), and it seems like their battle systems have some complexity on the surface, but are all the same in that you can power through most fights by just using the strongest attack. Neptunia looks the same.

I guess what put me over the edge are the playing cards and it's similarities to Segagaga.

bread's done
Back