What are you currently reading? Post here!

Just finished The Lies of Locke Lamora by ScottLynch and The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. They were both excellent fantasy novels. I am currently reading Red Seas under Red Skies by Scott Lynch, the sequels to LOLL. The sequel to TNOTW was supposed to be published last year, but still has yet to come out. It appears that Rothfuss may be another GRRM, but at least he has the excuse of another job and a kid, whereas GRRM is a FULL TIME AUTHOR and still takes 5 fucking years to write a book.

Rothfuss supposedly has all three books finished in manuscript form. The delay was because a family member died.

GRRM is on a timetable now with HBO making his series into a show. The delays were because he has too many side projects and convention appearances. He is "98%" done with the next book. So he has a good chunk of time to get the last two done to stay ahead of HBO's schedule. I think he will pull it off, he just has to put his other projects on the back burner now.

I hope GRRM's next book comes out soon. I tried The First Law series, am 50% through the first book, and it doesn't have its hooks in me yet. GRRM spoiled me. His books are so fucking phenomenal that I can't enjoy other fantasy books nearly as much. Pretty much just JRR Tolkien and Terry Brooks, and only because they are books from my childhood. I actually just bought the three Terry Brooks trilogy "collections". Nice books, but the first book is missing a critical map.

Just finished Blaze by Stephen King. Must say I had no hopes for this book when I started it, but ended up enjoying it. Now I am going to start "The Road".

Just finished reading The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John le Carre'. One of the best spy novels I've ever read. Highly recommended.

[quote name='moon_knight']I'm slowly reading Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Can anyone recommend me some good sci-fi?[/QUOTE]

Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion, by Dan Simmons
A Fire Upon The Deep, by Vernor Vinge
The Forever War, by Joe Halderman

Those three (four) are probably my favorite sci-fi novels ever.

Had a super slow day at work, so I was reading some short stories online. Got through "--All You Zombies--" by Robert Heinlein and I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison. Both were phenomenal.

Just finished Euclid's Window. Historical look at geometry and how we have changed our view of the world around as geometry & mathematics has changed. I read through it quickly, so definitely an interesting read if you are into the evolution of mathematics/geometry.

Deciding on starting either The Picture of Dorian Gray or Physics of the Impossible.

Just finish reading The Song of Susannah: The Dark Tower vol6. Not my favorite of the six, but I still enjoyed it.

Currently reading The Running Man.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion, by Dan Simmons

Had a super slow day at work, so I was reading some short stories online. Got through "--All You Zombies--" by Robert Heinlein and I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison. Both were phenomenal.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I'll check those out. I took a break from Fellowship of the Ring and started reading Fight Club.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished The Road, now looking forward to the movie, I want to see how they managed to translate that book onto film.

Going to read Thinner By Bachman next (King I guess). I remember the movie being horrible, but am going to try the book out anyways.

[quote name='Pavel6969']Just finished The Road, now looking forward to the movie, I want to see how they managed to translate that book onto film.

Going to read Thinner By Bachman next (King I guess). I remember the movie being horrible, but am going to try the book out anyways.[/QUOTE]

Thinner is actually a good brisk read

Never judge King by movies made off his books they never seem to go well. I think it is because one of his strengths is the realistic way he has characters think which you can't translate to film

Finished Pirate Latitudes and I'm on to Alas, Babylon

2zjmbtd.jpg

Finished The Duplicated Man over the weekend, then quickly read The Atheist's Mass by Honore de Balzac. Now I'm on to John Dies At The End by David Wong.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion, by Dan Simmons

Had a super slow day at work, so I was reading some short stories online. Got through "--All You Zombies--" by Robert Heinlein and I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison. Both were phenomenal.[/QUOTE]

Where'd you find thsoe online?

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Now I'm on to John Dies At The End by David Wong.[/QUOTE]

Excellent. I was wondering if you had ever picked it up. :applause:

[quote name='bmachine']Excellent. I was wondering if you had ever picked it up. :applause:[/QUOTE]

Yea, I happened to throw it in an order to get free shipping from Amazon. Absolutely loving it so far, and I hate David Wong because he has written what I always strive to write. This has a good chance of becoming my favorite book.

Outliers by Malcom Gladwell. Entertaining and nice to be reading something that requires thought as opposed to something that Book X of The X Saga.

I'm currently reading "Game of Shadows": Barry Bonds, BALCO, and the Steroids Scandal that Rocked Professional Sports.

Changes by Jim Butcher. It's the 12th book in the Dresden Files series of novels. They center around a detective in Chicago (who also happens to be a wizard). Great series. Here's a quote from the first novel to help you get a feel for the character....

"Kids. You gotta love them. I adore children. A little salt, a squeeze of lemon - perfect."

Just finished Thinner by Stephen King. I vaguely remembered the movie, mostly that it sucked, but I did enjoy the book.

Now I am onto The Bachman books. I am starting to think I enjoy King's work a lot more when he wrote as Bachman than as himself.

Had to put Alas, Babylon on hold for a few days while I read this:

51oW-LruQPL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

A lady at work let me borrow it and I feel obligated to get through it as quickly as possible. I'm a little past the half way point. It's very slow but its oddly compelling and is holding my interest. I have a feeling the final hundred pages or so are going to be very interesting.

Reading The Cinema of Michael Mann right now, it's a pretty in depth look into all of his films up to Miami Vice. Interesting read for anyone who is a fan of his films.

Physics of The Impossible By Michio KaKu. I like his radio show but the book was a little dry and not as interesting as i thought it would be.

[quote name='poisonedpawn45']Judas Unchained by Peter Hamilton. It's the 2nd part of the story that was started in Pandora's Star. I can't put it down![/QUOTE]

Be sure to pick up The Nights Dawn Trilogy. Another page turner by him.

-img-0553381687.jpg

Just ordered this on Amazon. Should be getting it Wednesday. I can't wait to start, I've heard it's a fantastic series.

[quote name='Fjordson']
-img-0553381687.jpg

Just ordered this on Amazon. Should be getting it Wednesday. I can't wait to start, I've heard it's a fantastic series.[/QUOTE]

Words cannot describe how good this series is. Be prepared to read about 4k pages. You'll enjoy every last one of them.

Finished John Dies At The End last night. Possibly my new favorite novel, fucking hilarious. Now it's on to A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking. Hoping to get most of the way through before my next new book arrives.

Had a lot of down time at work, so read John and Dave and the Temple of X'al'naa'thuthuthu, part one of the sequel to John Dies At The End. I really really want David Wong to finish it now, as it's still hilarious.

Finished Up In The Air by Walter Kirn.

I'll be finished Joseph Conrad's Heart Of Darkness tonight and I'll be moving onto Timothy Findley's Headhunter.

Everyone has been blowing their wad about "John Dies at the End" so I grabbed it from the library, will start tonight.

I'm just finishing up Empire Falls which was really surprisingly good.

just finished a game of thrones. loved the first book, it didnt grab me as much as a wizards first rule, but i still enjoy the characters very much. hopefully the series keeps the pace unlike the sword of truth series did. i was a pretty sad with the deaths of a couple characters
ned, drogo, LADY!
but i had a feeling about some of them. oh well.

gonna start a clash of kings sometime today.

I couldn't even make it halfway through Wizard's First Rule. Probably because I read Martin's books first. They really spoil you. It's like trying to get into a cop show after you've already watched The Wire.

bread's done
Back