Where Is _____ Hip-Hop Thread

[quote name='JEKKI']I was gonna get 8 Diagrams, but the Best Buy I went to didnt have another cd I wanted to cop (Statik Selektah)... hopefully I can pick the record up before the 10% coupon expires...

the thing is tho... I hear it's criticized for being all slow and shyt...

but it's like... the W and Iron Flag are jus so negligible that it really wouldnt matter how 8 Diagrams sounded like... new Wu is new Wu... and all that matters is if it's good or not coz it definitely isnt gonna sound vintage.

Then again... I also heard a lot of the emcees (GZA particularly) comes off real lazy and unmotivated... I donno... I still have yet to hear it...

recent Raekwon interview talking about making a Wu album w/o RZA: http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/features/id.967/title.raekwon-stirring-the-pot

a very brief Mef interview: http://allhiphop.com/stories/features/archive/2007/12/12/18994791.aspx

not really worth reading... but the best excerpts are[/quote]

Don't listen to all the negative press because it is all wrong. I read that Raekwon interview and read Ghost negative press but the beats are all banging and sound perfect for the Wu. If Raekwon makes the Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang album I will cop it but it will not feel like a real Wu album with Rza producing it. I even have to disagree with most of people on the forum that I usually agree with. It will be classic when people look back and let all the drama around it goes away.

If you want a great review that it puts it into words better than I could check out this one:
Pitchfork Media/Wu-Tang - 8 Diagram Review

Someone described it to me as a "slow Wu-Tang with lazy-ass rhymes". However, just because an album gets negative reviews doesn't mean it's not worth a listen. For all I know the album could kick ass as headpiece is implying, so I will probably give it a try sometime.

Headpiece, do you prefer this one or the W?

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Start off with some clubbin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtFI51pTabc

Let's throw some House music up in here yoooo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DTzIlskagM

Wrap it up with hip hop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGk_dXLv_r4&feature=related[/QUOTE]LOL! dat's so fuckin random!!

check it... rock/club type live shyt

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KiQZd1HO8Q[/media]

I'ma throw this in... I dont even kno what genre it is... unless awesome is a genre of music yoooo

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR3zteEKAFg[/media]

Wrap it up with hip hop

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID6K0oyEqpg[/media]

[quote name='JEKKI']LOL! dat's so fuckin random!!

check it... rock/club type live shyt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KiQZd1HO8Q

I'ma throw this in... I dont even kno what genre it is... unless awesome is a genre of music yoooo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR3zteEKAFg

Wrap it up with hip hop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID6K0oyEqpg[/quote]

Haha, sheeeet. You ask where is hip hop? I ask where is good music :p

It might be random, but it still makes you move ;)

Let me run it back now, see if this doesn't bring back some memories

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvC1ijiyv1c[/MEDIA]

I see your Nu Shooz vid and raise you this (I'm bustin' a JEKKI!)

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAHfoIfo_7A[/MEDIA]

Gotta double up on that and throw in another oldie but goodie

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRQMNP1R95c[/MEDIA]

[quote name='Rozz']Someone described it to me as a "slow Wu-Tang with lazy-ass rhymes". However, just because an album gets negative reviews doesn't mean it's not worth a listen. For all I know the album could kick ass as headpiece is implying, so I will probably give it a try sometime.

Headpiece, do you prefer this one or the W?[/quote]

The W is great but I still have to say this one is better.

Bringing the videos back to Hip-Hop:
Artist: Junk Science
Song: Hey! (feat. Scott Thorough)
Album: Gran'Dad's Nerve Tonic
[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jx9tkL748ds[/MEDIA]

I would say 8 Diagrams is maybe the Wu's 2nd best album(not including solo's), depending on what you might have thought of Wu-Tang Forever. Some of the guys do sound uninspired though. It is nice though to see quite possibly the return of Method Man.

This will most likely be the album I check out next:

220px-Noonecandoitbetter.jpg

I've been sleeping on it way too long, but after I heard the 'Formula' again yesterday I figured it's time to give it a listen.

[quote name='Pancake Rabbit']Lupe did it again

The Cool = album of the year[/QUOTE]

I have listened to it quite a few times and I have to say it is not AOTY.But a good second effort.

[quote name='Rozz']This will most likely be the album I check out next:

I've been sleeping on it way too long, but after I heard the 'Formula' again yesterday I figured it's time to give it a listen.[/quote]

I remember finally picking up that album on CD for 50 cents from Tower's closing sale, and there were still about 20 copies left! So sad...

I've been sleeping on it way too long, but after I heard the 'Formula' again yesterday I figured it's time to give it a listen.[/QUOTE]
Highly, highly, underrated album.

I've been sleeping on it way too long, but after I heard the 'Formula' again yesterday I figured it's time to give it a listen.[/QUOTE]

no one can do it better> the chronic or doggystyle, yeah i said it.

i read an article a while back that said he could have regained his voice with more medical procedures, but he didn't show up to them. definitely a shame a lyricist kind of drifted into obscurity.

I've been sleeping on it way too long, but after I heard the 'Formula' again yesterday I figured it's time to give it a listen.[/QUOTE]whoo~!!! 4th quote in a row!!

I usually transfer over a couple albums from my computer to my work so I can listen, this is in the batch of the most recent set I brought over!!

I'ma prolly listen to it this week, lol.

I remember the first time I heard Portrait of a Masterpiece back in the days... I was straight O_O!!!!!

hey headpiece, have you heard of anything on an instrumental version of Iller Than Theirs' album? Really want the instrumental to Wash, Rinse & Repeat

Being from Durham, I got to grow up on Little Brother shows around the state. While I realize "Minstrel Show" was the first album that was in stores, and now the new release of "Getback", I encourage all of you to go cop "The Listening." It still remains one of my top 5 Hip-Hop CD's.

A couple of other mixtapes they dropped that are actually packaged are dope as well, "Chitlin' Circuit 1.5" and "Separate But Equal."

Just saw them last week at a show. Phonte put on about 50 lbs. since last time I saw them this summer (he blamed the road as we smoked a Black and sipped some Patron after the show). Cats still got it done, and for those of you familiar with the Justus League, Legacy, D-Brock, Chaundon, Scudda, and the Away Team all performed. Top notch for 20 bones.

I'd love to see LB in concert. Lucky.

Anywho, I just listened to Blu & Exile's Below the Heavens for the second time. Blu's a competent emcee but his homophobic rhymes are a little tired. I need to give it a solid third listen to give it a better "review."

[quote name='senorwoohoo']
Anywho, I just listened to Blu & Exile's Below the Heavens for the second time. Blu's a competent emcee but his homophobic rhymes are a little tired. I need to give it a solid third listen to give it a better "review."[/QUOTE]

Blu's style doesn't do anything for me and my biggest problem with that album is its like Exile took a day off. I mean really, that dude is fucking sick...and yet the beats on this album are pedestrian and un-interesting

[quote name='fart_bubble']Blu's style doesn't do anything for me and my biggest problem with that album is its like Exile took a day off. I mean really, that dude is fucking sick...and yet the beats on this album are pedestrian and un-interesting[/QUOTE]

I remember you saying that a few months ago. I'll have to see if I agree after a third listen.

LB is awesome. i just missed the show up here. I bought the minstrel show last year and been a fan ever since.

I bought the Wu album on friday. I havent listened to it yet because i been playing "The Cool".
Great follow up to "Food and Liquor"

So far my top five of the year are .........
In no order
Jay-Z American Gangster
Prodigy - Return of the mac
Kanye West - Graduation
Common - Finding forever
Lupe Fiasco - The Cool

fart_bubble...no word yet on an instrumental album but hit up their myspace or blog and we can let them know. This is a sick beat by the way.

jhaymond1...Are you saying that you kicked it with LB because if so that is pretty dope.

senorwoohoo
...Let me know what you think of that album because it is sitting in my Save for Later list and FB has me keeping it there.

Sc4rfac3...I hope I like The Cool as much as I want to when I pick it up tomorrow. I just don't play Food & Liquor that much because something seems missing.

Everyone...My favorite song on M.I.A.'s Kala CD is now a video. Check out Paper Planes:

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sei-eEjy4g[/MEDIA]

Hey guys.

I came in here to ask you guys for a lot of recommendations. Rap is my favorite genre but I'm sick of this Hot 97 stuff. I'm looking for some recommendations on CD's. For the first time in my life I'm buying CD's. I'm looking more towards for you guys to recommend lesser known people like for example at the top of this page someone posted a video from a Junk Science CD. Reccommend the artist and which albums. I'm not against you recommending better known artists like Snoop or Nas for example but can you recommend some of their better stuff for example Jay-Z's American Gangster isn't as great as a CD from his older stuff. I'm getting an 80GB Zune so I want to start fresh with physical CD's of good Rap. I'm also not completely against the music if it's all about the hoes. I can appreciate Snoop and I can appreciate Common. So make as many album recommendations as you want.

I'm kind of against digital downloading now. Where it is illegal off a torrent, which obviously is just unethical and I'm against digital downloading legally (itunes, Amazon) because it just isn't physically yours and you don't completely own the music.

edit:

The list of CD's to buy so far
Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
Jay-Z - American Gangster
Kanye West - Graduation
Wu Tang Clan - 8 Diagrams
Styles P - Supa Gangsta Extraordinary Gentlemen
Project Pat – Walkin’ Bank Roll
Common - Finding Forever
Notorious BIG - Greatest Hits
Best of 2pac Part 1: Thug
Best of 2pac Part 2: Life
Lil Wayne - Tha Carter
Lil Wayne - Tha Carter 2
Ghost Face Killa - Big Doe Rehab
Talib Kweli - Eardrum
Junk Science - Gran'dads Nerve Tonic
Black Milk - Popular Demand
Boom Bap Project - Reprogram
Cunninlynguists - Dirty Acres
Median - Median's Relief
Madvillain - Madvillainy
One Be Lo - S O N O G G R A M
Panacea - Ink is My Drink
Nas - Illmatic
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang
Common – Resurrection
Jay-Z – Reasonable Doubt
Gza – Liquid Swords
Ghostface Killah – Supreme Clientele
Jedi Mind Tricks - Servants in Heaven, Kings in Hell
Army of the Pharaohs - The Torture Papers
Method Man - Tical
Wu-Tang - Forever
Ghostface - Ironman
Dr. Dre – The Chronic
Dr. Dre – 2001
Public Enemy: It Takes A Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
The Roots: Illadelph Halflife
Eric B & Rakim: Paid In Full
Smif n Wessun: Dah Shinin
Geto Boys: We Can't Be Stopped
Ice Cube: Amerikkka's Most Wanted
Dilated Peoples - Platform
Dilated Peoples - Expansion Team
Gangstarr - Moment of Truth
Gangstarr - Full Clip
MF GRIMM - American Hunger
Bigg Jus - Poor People's Day
Pigeon John - Pigeon John & The Summertime Pool Party
Notorious BIG - Del The Funky Homosapien
J Dilla - Ruff Draft
Redman - Dare Iz A Darkside
Ghostface Killah - Fishscale

I think I got a good list now.

[quote name='headpiece747']I caught them at Rock The Bells last year and they were incredible. They give you all the classics like C.R.E.A.M. and Truimph but they throw in the solo joints too which make it perfect. You will be impressed if it is anything like last year.[/QUOTE]
Saw them in Winston Salem, NC last year as well. A great show and I will be going to see them in Charlotte, NC in a couple months. Was in the front of the stage, Meth past me a blunt.

Not too high on that new CD though. It's better than most stuff out, but when compared against classic Wu, it isn't the fire I expected.

For nyprimus:

Panacea - Ink is my Drink
One Be Lo - s.o.n.o.g.r.a.m.
Binary Stars - Masters of the Universe
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Talib Kweli - Ear Drum

Those five are a decent mix of stuff you should enjoy.

[quote name='nyprimus4']Hey guys.

I came in here to ask you guys for a lot of recommendations. Rap is my favorite genre but I'm sick of this Hot 97 stuff. I'm looking for some recommendations on CD's. For the first time in my life I'm buying CD's. I'm looking more towards for you guys to recommend lesser known people like for example at the top of this page someone posted a video from a Junk Science CD. Reccommend the artist and which albums. I'm not against you recommending better known artists like Snoop or Nas for example but can you recommend some of their better stuff for example Jay-Z's American Gangster isn't as great as a CD from his older stuff. I'm getting an 80GB Zune so I want to start fresh with physical CD's of good Rap. I'm also not completely against the music if it's all about the hoes. I can appreciate Snoop and I can appreciate Common. So make as many album recommendations as you want.

I'm kind of against digital downloading now. Where it is illegal off a torrent, which obviously is just unethical and I'm against digital downloading legally (itunes, Amazon) because it just isn't physically yours and you don't completely own the music.

edit:

The list of CD's to buy so far
Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
Kanye West - Graduation
Styles P - Supa Gangsta Extraordinary Gentlemen
Project Pat - Walkin Bank Roll
Common - Finding Forever
Notorious BIG - Greatest Hits
Best of 2pac Part 1: Thug
Best of 2pac Part 2: Life
Lil Wayne - Tha Carter
Lil Wayne - Tha Carter 2
Ghost Face Killa - Big Doe Rehab
Talib Kweli - Eardrum
Junk Science - Gran'dads Nerve Tonic
Dirty Acres - Cunninlynguists
Median - Median's Relief
Madvillain - Madvillainy
One Be Lo - S O N O G G R A M
Panacea - Ink is My Drink[/QUOTE]

10 must haves

nas: illmatic
public enemy: it takes a nation of millions to hold us back
wu-tang clan: enter the wu-tang
the roots: illadelph halflife
eric b & rakim: paid in full
tallib kweli & hi-tek: train of thought
smif n wessun: dah shinin
geto boys: we can't be stopped
common: resurrection
ice cube: amerikkka's most wanted

[quote name='st0neface']10 must haves

nas: illmatic
public enemy: it takes a nation of millions to hold us back
wu-tang clan: enter the wu-tang
the roots: illadelph halflife
eric b & rakim: paid in full
tallib kweli & hi-tek: train of thought
smif n wessun: dah shinin
geto boys: we can't be stopped
common: resurrection
ice cube: amerikkka's most wanted[/quote]
i co-sign and i add
jay - z : reasonable doubt
Gza - Liquid Swords
Ghostface killah - Supreme Clientele

time to list random azz albums??

Lost Boyz - Legal Drug Money
Lost Boyz - Love Peace & Nappiness
OC - Word Life
OC - Jewelz
Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II
Pharcyde - Labcabincalifornia
Dilated Peoples - Platform
Dilated Peoples - Expansion Team
Gangstarr - Moment of Truth
Gangstarr - Full Clip

fuck mang I and pretty much everyone in this thread can go on FOREVER

I would get swap out the Ghost Face Big Doe rehab Album for the Ghost Face album Fishscale. Fishscale is a fucking classic!

In the category of albums you buy, listen to a few times and then forget about it till 8 months later you re-listen to it and then ask yourself "why hasn't this been in rotation?":

40winks_soundpuzzle.jpg

great album, I don't know if it was because I was burnt out in instrumentals at the time (when I bought it, I was listening to Mr. Hill's album and the OuMuPo series on an almost constant play) or what but I'm glad this is in my collection.

nyprimus4...Little late on the list but here are a couple you should add:
MF GRIMM - American Hunger (3 CDs of great music)
Bigg Jus - Poor People's Day (Formerly of Company Flow and beats by are easier to digest.)
Pigeon John - Pigeon John & The Summertime Pool Party (Lastest CD probably greatest?)
Del The Funkyhomosapien - No Need For Alarm (No explanation just buy it)
Jay Dee aka J Dilla - Ruff Draft (R.I.P. get Donuts CD if into instrumentals)
Redman - Dare Iz A Darkside (One of my favorites of all time)

fart_bubble...Went to their myspace and they have nice joints. Have to remember that for later.

[quote name='headpiece747']nyprimus4...Little late on the list but here are a couple you should add:
MF GRIMM - American Hunger (3 CDs of great music)
.[/quote]

That Album was Massive!! more than 60 songs and almost every single one is top notch.

Have you checked out the Graphic novel biography he put out with Vertigo Comics? I ordered it along with the Big Doe Rehab and The New Wu Tang joint.

[quote name='joe2187']That Album was Massive!! more than 60 songs and almost every single one is top notch.

Have you checked out the Graphic novel biography he put out with Vertigo Comics? I ordered it along with the Big Doe Rehab and The New Wu Tang joint.[/quote]

I have been meaning to pick up the MF GRIMM graphic novel. Let me know what you think when you get it.

yo Rozz man u listen to the DOC album yet??

I serioualy had it on repeat like 3 times yesterday! If u havent heard it yet u r definitely in for a treat!!

I wouldnt go out and say it's better than Chronic & Doggystyle, but in regards to those 2 albums I was rather late to the party.

so at the least it's definitely up for debate!!

I also bought mother freakin FOOD n LIQUOR yesterday along with the Cool... I never got that cd for similar reasons not getting Doggystyle & Chronic, I used to work retail where they played the CD all the time.

time to give it a few proper listen before I listen to the Cool

[quote name='headpiece747']I have been meaning to pick up the MF GRIMM graphic novel. Let me know what you think when you get it.[/quote]

I ordered this two days ago, the shipping was supposed to take a week and a half...but it just showed up at my door step today. It wasnt too thick so i finished it one sit through...The Hardcover is real nice and looks especially nice.

Let me start about by praising the artist of the Bio Ronald Wimberly, his art provides alot of personality and character depth into every single panel and line.

you can check out a few excerpts of Ron's work on the book here (Click the Pic of Lil GRIMM)

The Book isnt all about GRIMM, Its about What and where Hip Hop came from, Who founded it all, the B-boys and the Emcees that built it and where they went from the begining. GRIMM provides himself as an example of all the Pro's and all the Cons that Pursuing a career as a Professional Emcee in the public and a Gangster in the streets is not at all a glamorous lifestyle. The shit that GRIMM portrays in his book and his life is painful and truthful and doesnt hold anything back.

Overall This Book gets a 10/10

This Book is a definate Read for everyone who loves and is interested in the the Music or Hip Hop Culture.

Also took a listen to Ghostface Killah's Big Doe Rehab, and gotta say Ghost didnt let me down, He managed to put alot more soul on his Album, Not to say that More Fish and Fishscale arent Classics, but Ghost Is in his Prime game.

[quote name='joe2187']I ordered this two days ago, the shipping was supposed to take a week and a half...but it just showed up at my door step today. It wasnt too thick so i finished it one sit through...The Hardcover is real nice and looks especially nice.

Let me start about by praising the artist of the Bio Ronald Wimberly, his art provides alot of personality and character depth into every single panel and line.

you can check out a few excerpts of Ron's work on the book here (Click the Pic of Lil GRIMM)

The Book isnt all about GRIMM, Its about What and where Hip Hop came from, Who founded it all, the B-boys and the Emcees that built it and where they went from the begining. GRIMM provides himself as an example of all the Pro's and all the Cons that Pursuing a career as a Professional Emcee in the public and a Gangster in the streets is not at all a glamorous lifestyle. The shit that GRIMM portrays in his book and his life is painful and truthful and doesnt hold anything back.

Overall This Book gets a 10/10

This Book is a definate Read for everyone who loves and is interested in the the Music or Hip Hop Culture.

Also took a listen to Ghostface Killah's Big Doe Rehab, and gotta say Ghost didnt let me down, He managed to put alot more soul on his Album, Not to say that More Fish and Fishscale arent Classics, but Ghost Is in his Prime game.[/quote]

Thanks for the review joe2187 now I am going to definitely pick this up, maybe while I am in Cali for Christmas I can find it in store somewhere.

Haven't heard anything from the Big Doe Rehab album but I will get it eventually because I buy anything Wu.

My first ten will be...

Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
Nas - Illmatic
J Dilla – The Shining
Jay-Z – Reasonable Doubt
J Dilla - Ruff Draft
for $38.86

[quote name='nyprimus4']My first ten will be...

Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
Nas - Illmatic
J Dilla – The Shining
Jay-Z – Reasonable Doubt
J Dilla - Ruff Draft
for $38.86
[/quote]

There's a noticeable lack of Madvillainy on that list.

Naw, just kidding
well, not really :)

[quote name='nyprimus4']It's only the first 10 I'm ordering and it is out of stock any way.[/quote]

I'm just playin.

You should probably pick up Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liquor sometime down the road. I've been meaning to suggest that for a while.

[quote name='JEKKI']yo Rozz man u listen to the DOC album yet??

I serioualy had it on repeat like 3 times yesterday! If u havent heard it yet u r definitely in for a treat!!

I wouldnt go out and say it's better than Chronic & Doggystyle, but in regards to those 2 albums I was rather late to the party.

so at the least it's definitely up for debate!!

I also bought mother freakin FOOD n LIQUOR yesterday along with the Cool... I never got that cd for similar reasons not getting Doggystyle & Chronic, I used to work retail where they played the CD all the time.

time to give it a few proper listen before I listen to the Cool[/quote]

I haven't heard it yet, I will soon though... I've been sleeping on that one for too long!

In terms of Snoop and Dre, well.... The Chronic definitely outshines Doggystyle. I thought the lyrics on Doggstyle got mad repetetive after awhile, but the production was great... The Chronic had great lyrics and production so that's my pick out of the two.

And, um, I haven't heard Food & Liquor yet either... :whistle2:$ I've only heard "Kick, Push" off it.

And nyprimus4, if you don't have any Gang Starr, Del, or Cypress Hill on that list then I'll be very dissappointed in you and I will not consider you my son anymore.

[quote name='nyprimus4']Gang Starr is on there twice. Recommend some Cypress and Del albums. :lol:[/quote]
For old school Cypress Hill, check out III: Temples of Boom. For new school, look into Stoned Raiders.

For Del, I strongly reccomend Both Sides of the Brain. No Need for Alarm is dope as well, and I even like Future Development, but that's mostly for long time fans.

bread's done
Back