Where Is _____ Hip-Hop Thread

In light of today's events, I'm gonna have to say UGK's Heaven is song of the day...and just when UGK were starting to get the respect they deserve.

[quote name='Mr. Roper']As far as I know, real hip hop consists of hieroglyphics, too short, mac dre, and other bay area folks.[/quote]

I just think hip-hop was best pre-1990. That isn't to say that it isn't still good from some current artists, but it wasn't about presenting a certain image like it is now. People could be themselves a whole lot easier. In 90% of hip hop people try to be so damn hard now. I miss the days of Special Ed, Biz Markie, De La Soul, Doug E. Fresh, A Tribe Called Quest, Eric B. and Rakim...

Been listening to Hi-Tek's new album...not diggin it really. Hi-Teknology 2 was crazy though with "Can We Go Back" and my favorite track "So Tired".

Hmmm, I'll check that out later if I can get my eMusic account up and running again :/

EVERYONE!
For an instant good day, play the following three albums in this order for morning, afternoon, and night ;)

"Bob Marley - Exodus" ---> "Bob Marley - Chant Down Babylon" ---> "Bob Marley - 2002 - One Love, The Very Best Of"

Can't tell you how peaceful today was after I put those on rotation :whistle2:\"\\:D/

PS: No Doobie Necessary :mrgreen:

[quote name='Mr. Roper']As far as I know, real hip hop consists of hieroglyphics, too short, mac dre, and other bay area folks.[/QUOTE]real hip hop is everywhere, bay area is only a small subset of the realness

but on a related note, I listened to that Grouch & Zion-I - Heroes in the City of Dope album yesterday.

I was like &!%$+*^#~~

shyt was straight.... straight SOMETHING!!

I donno what word to use, but the album was REAL good... I gotta listen to it again soon!!

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Hmmm, I'll check that out later if I can get my eMusic account up and running again :/

EVERYONE!
For an instant good day, play the following three albums in this order for morning, afternoon, and night ;)

"Bob Marley - Exodus" ---> "Bob Marley - Chant Down Babylon" ---> "Bob Marley - 2002 - One Love, The Very Best Of"

Can't tell you how peaceful today was after I put those on rotation :whistle2:\"\\:D/

PS: No Doobie Necessary :mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

Bob Marley is a god.

[quote name='JEKKI']
I was like &!%$+*^#~~

shyt was straight.... straight SOMETHING!!

I donno what word to use, but the album was REAL good... I gotta listen to it again soon!![/quote]
lol

straight SOMETHING! Hmmm...maybe one of these would fit it

straight sick! straight ill! straight crooked! straight funky! straight bodacious! straight bangin'! straight Straight!

heh heh

[quote name='Pancake Rabbit']Bob Marley is a god.[/quote]
I'm bummed I hadn't listened to him earlier in life, it woulda helped in High School ;)

I had a grip of friends who listened to him, I was ignorant...:wall:

I was surprised by "Bob Marley - Chant Down Babylon". The renditions most of these artists did are awesome and get it right.

[quote name='Pancake Rabbit']Bob Marley is a god.[/quote]

I'm bummed I hadn't listened to him earlier in life, it woulda helped in High School ;)

I had a grip of friends who listened to him, I was ignorant...:wall:

Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but I just realized that One Be Lo's R.E.B.I.R.T.H. comes out next week! This holiday season just keeps taking money out of my wallet!

'Get off the Stage' by Too $hort has been released. This is his last cd on Jive.

51IqUPTqBSL._AA240_.jpg

I honestly have extremely low expectations for it though. His last album was shit. Maybe it's time to hang it up after all these years.

dood I'm fuckin trippin that Too Short's been on Jive for so long!!!

I mean, I'm surprised that label still has rappers on it!!

but Jive drops emcees like flies!! I mean... omg... dood must have a lot of power to be still signed...

o... I couldnt DL that one be lo album :sad:

I tried to and they asked me for my username & pass... I thought since I've purchased CDs from them before than I'd have an account so I tried hella user/pw combinations but couldnt get myself logged in...

I'm not sure if it's all brand new... but I couldnt find the Forgot Your Password link...

whatever... I'll buy it next week with Dirty Acres!! I woulda bought the CD anyway even if I paid for the download (hopefully it actually comes out next week tho)

I thought this is funny and something only Ghostface could pull off:
MTV reports that Tony Stark will meets up with Tony Starks, in the big screen adaptation of the Marvel comic book, Iron Man. According to the report, Ghostface Killah will make a cameo appearance in the Jon Favraeu directed role, meeting up with Robert Downey Jr (who plays Stark) in the film.

[quote name='headpiece747']I thought this is funny and something only Ghostface could pull off:[/QUOTE]

I remember reading something about that. IIRC the source said ghost was going to play a sheik or some kind of king.

Going into my senior year in high school...

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=CY0FdjK37Oo[/media]

They played this to death on the radio. I like the beat though.

Plus, Digable Planets...

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=LSbp0VUdP0Y[/MEDIA]

Dirty Acres is wonderful.

I've played it multiple times and it only gets better after each listen.

Phonte's verse on "Yellow Lines" has one of my favorite lines as of late.

[quote name='fart_bubble']man was Digable Planets one of the most under-rated groups of the 90's
[/quote]
Yes they where. I rocked their first tape until it popped and i had to buy the cd.

[quote name='Sc4rfac3']Yes they where. I rocked their first tape until it popped and i had to buy the cd.[/quote]

yeah, Reachin' has had a HUGE impact on my taste for music. It holds the same distinction as Portishead's self-titled album, one of the few albums that I've had to buy more than once due to playing it so many times. I remember using that album for a year straight listening to it before I fell asleep.

Now they did have some sucess but its kind of sad that no one got King Britt and Ladybug till they broke up and started to do their solo stuff. Shit was ahead of its time.

GuilewasNK...good looking on the vids all of them dope of course.

fart_bubble...that were not underrated in my book but I was into underground/independent hip-hop back then too.

senorwoohoo...I agree that Dirty Acres is great and bump it in my car all the time. Time to pull out A Piece of Strange.

Sc4rfac3...I bought that on cassette also and probably still have it my moms house somewhere.

Everyone...My "Finally got The Hunt for the Gingerbread Man!!!" emusic downloads for this month:

Artist: MF GRIMM (I listened to this all day at work and it is another banger.)
Album: The Hunt for the Gingerbread Man

Artist: Dirty Diggers (Just listened to this and fart_bubble was right, international goodness.)
Album: Freakishly Strong

Artist: Percee P
Album: Perseverance

Artist: Various Artists
Album: Eastern Conference All Stars III

Artist: Various Artists
Album: Eastern Rebel Alliance

Artist: Willie Evans Jr. (Also heard this at work and Willie Evans Jr. is definitely a producer/emcee to watch for.)
Album: Rawkus 50 Presents Communication

Artist: 9th Wonder
Album: The Dream Merchant 2

man... I was gonna post a bunch of videos until I saw the new Master P video!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUx_LX-TeLs[/media]

this shyt is straight LOL~!! it's so artistic!!

the mother freakin record store better have One Be Lo tomorrow or else I'll be PISSED that I drove my azz thru bitch traffic Hollywood

[quote name='headpiece747']
fart_bubble...that were not underrated in my book but I was into underground/independent hip-hop back then too.
[/quote]

atleast around here, the sound of that time was gangster shit or Native Tongues and Das EFX. Hell, even with them winning the grammy and doing well with the first album (in sales) I hardly ever heard it being played on 107.5 or it was almost impossible to find anyone who knew who they were who didn't happen to skate (I made well sure my friends and others I skated with knew who they were).

Glad you're liking Dirty Diggers' first full-length. Something about them just makes me devour what ever they release

Picked up Wu-Tang 8 Diagrams CD/DVD limited edition with extra song from Best Buy. 6 songs in so far so good with solid production from RZA but I will give my full impression after a couple of listens.

somebody remind me to STOP sleeping on Digable Planets... and remind me to get that Wildchild shyt too!! Last I checked it wasnt on emusic so I couldnt 'save it for later'...

anyway... they had HELLA copies of One Be Lo's new at the record store today. The actual aisles thingy only had 2 copies in front of his name card, but if you moved to the left a couple paces and looked up u would see a bunch of them on the overhead display... I copped it with Dirty Acres!!

I'm finishing up my 2nd spin of the record rite now... VERY good album... I think...

the thing is... when I first heard SONOGRAM I didnt think too much of it. It was a dope album but after a few listens I put it away... then a year later the songs crept up to me in my memory and I revisited it.. then I'm like !)(*@# this shyt is INCREDIBLE!!

same shyt is happening now... the songs are good... when I listen hard the beats are dope and the rhymes are on point... but nothing is really sticking to me.

Then again, albums that grow on you / get better with each listen are always the best ones!!

[quote name='JEKKI']somebody remind me to STOP sleeping on Digable Planets... and remind me to get that Wildchild shyt too!! Last I checked it wasnt on emusic so I couldnt 'save it for later'...

anyway... they had HELLA copies of One Be Lo's new at the record store today. The actual aisles thingy only had 2 copies in front of his name card, but if you moved to the left a couple paces and looked up u would see a bunch of them on the overhead display... I copped it with Dirty Acres!!

I'm finishing up my 2nd spin of the record rite now... VERY good album... I think...

the thing is... when I first heard SONOGRAM I didnt think too much of it. It was a dope album but after a few listens I put it away... then a year later the songs crept up to me in my memory and I revisited it.. then I'm like !)(*@# this shyt is INCREDIBLE!!

same shyt is happening now... the songs are good... when I listen hard the beats are dope and the rhymes are on point... but nothing is really sticking to me.

Then again, albums that grow on you / get better with each listen are always the best ones!![/quote]
Good to know One Be Lo new one is a banger.

Wu-Tang is still tight after a couple of office and car listens. I don't know what Rae and Ghost are talking about. Rza has the hard beats and the classic Wu sound to round out a good last effort if this is the last album (or last one for a long time) because of all the beefing.

I think the Wu-Tang album on a whole is average. Did anyone hear Lupe new album The Cool? It leaked yesterday and it's pretty dope. After listening to this album once I am more impressed than his last.

I'm not listening to The Cool until it's in my hands.

I'm only like that with a few releases a year and this is one of 'em...though I've heard 3-4 songs of the album. :lol:

Ghostface has been blogging over at SOHH. The posts aren't long, but all them joints are pretty funny http://blogs.sohh.com/gueststar/

best part: "I am trying to update my game and you know use the computer rather than rhyme books. You can lose rhyme books. Word up. Even if the computer wilds out you can always back that sh*t up on one of them sticks. What’s that sh*t called? I don’t know. Mike (Ghost’s manager) is on it like that."

8 diagrams is hot, but I needed to hear Ghost on Life Changes, it just sounds strange without him. Big Doe Rehab, MADE, and Super Gangster are all hot too.

I was gonna get 8 Diagrams, but the Best Buy I went to didnt have another cd I wanted to cop (Statik Selektah)... hopefully I can pick the record up before the 10% coupon expires...

the thing is tho... I hear it's criticized for being all slow and shyt...

but it's like... the W and Iron Flag are jus so negligible that it really wouldnt matter how 8 Diagrams sounded like... new Wu is new Wu... and all that matters is if it's good or not coz it definitely isnt gonna sound vintage.

Then again... I also heard a lot of the emcees (GZA particularly) comes off real lazy and unmotivated... I donno... I still have yet to hear it...

recent Raekwon interview talking about making a Wu album w/o RZA: http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/features/id.967/title.raekwon-stirring-the-pot

a very brief Mef interview: http://allhiphop.com/stories/features/archive/2007/12/12/18994791.aspx

not really worth reading... but the best excerpts are

AllHipHop.com: Okay, let’s bring things up to speed. What are your feelings on the new Wu-Tang Clan album 8 Diagrams?

Method Man: I don’t have anything to say about that either. No comment.

AllHipHop.com: There are rumors that Raekwon is putting together a project called Shaolin vs. Wu Tang. In his displeasure of the production on 8 Diagrams, this will feature Wu-Tang but with no RZA production. Any comment on that?

Method Man: You won’t get me to talk about that either. That’s all Raekwon right there; you got to talk to him about that. No comment.

AllHipHop.com: Another thing that has come to light is that some of the members have had issues with the finances within the group. Have you ever experienced any of that?

Method Man: No comment. Let’s talk about something else dude.

man I jus spent me a good sum of money and had to come back on cag to post about it -_-

since I'm here, this song is so addictive!! it's very bubblegum pop-radio friendly... but it's awesome!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgvfVh2ReTA[/media]

and since I'm posting pop vids... here's Fergie Ferg spittin fire!! (MC Lyte, Fergie, and Will.I.Am from the Must B 21 album for the doods hesitant to click play lol)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSdcbTWS3PQ[/media]

I got addicted to this song too~!!

[quote name='senorwoohoo']I'm not listening to The Cool until it's in my hands.

I'm only like that with a few releases a year and this is one of 'em...though I've heard 3-4 songs of the album. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Yeah there are a few songs on it that were floating around for awhile. But after a few more listens the album is just really good. You should not wait :)

[quote name='senorwoohoo']I'm not listening to The Cool until it's in my hands.

I'm only like that with a few releases a year and this is one of 'em...though I've heard 3-4 songs of the album. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I couldn't wait and had to download the leak. I'm still going to buy the album thuogh, Lupe needs the support.

Start off with some clubbin'

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtFI51pTabc[/media]

Let's throw some House music up in here yoooo

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DTzIlskagM[/media]

Wrap it up with hip hop

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGk_dXLv_r4&feature=related[/media]

[quote name='JEKKI']and since I'm posting pop vids... here's Fergie Ferg spittin fire!! (MC Lyte, Fergie, and Will.I.Am from the Must B 21 album for the doods hesitant to click play lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSdcbTWS3PQ

I got addicted to this song too~!![/quote]

Man, first time I heard this but I really like that song. Good post.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Start off with some clubbin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtFI51pTabc

[/quote]

I really like this too. Thanks!

bread's done
Back