Which CAGs are Christians?

daroga

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (100%)
Hey all,

Please let me say this right away. This thread is not to push any anti-Christian agenda, ok? If you're an atheist, Buddhist, Muslim, or anything else that is not Christian, it would be great if you could keep your opinions of Christianity in other, appropriate threads. This is not a debate topic for Christian apologetics to face off with people who do not hold to the Christian faith. That's why it's not in the vs. forum, but in the Off Topic forum. Thanks for your cooperation :)

I just wondered who else on CAG was a Christian, and if you'd like, what denomination of Christianity you hail from.

Myself? I'm a Lutheran, of the Wisconsin Synod variety.

Anyone else?

I'm a christian, but currently do not go to church. I still have my beliefs but do not like most organized groups of religion. I grew up in the Episcopal church.

[quote name='Number83']Roman Catholic in the Hizzy![/quote]Word.

I'm imagining all the respondents of this thread getting put on a CAG hitlist somewhere. :lol:

[quote name='botticus']Word.

I'm imagining all the respondents of this thread getting put on a CAG hitlist somewhere. :lol:[/quote]hehe, I kinda thought that the title might imply that, but went with it anyway. ;)

I haven't gone to church in so long.
I really do feel something is missing.
I'll go back.

Roman Catholic.

You Lutherans just had to ruin it for everybody didn't you?
Hehe.

[quote name='dallow']I haven't gone to church in so long.
I really do feel something is missing.
I'll go back.

Roman Catholic.

You Lutherans just had to ruin it for everybody didn't you?
Hehe.[/quote]I don't remember it going down quite like that ;)

Daroga, I had thought from your posts (and what you don't post) that you might be a Christian. I trusted Christ in October 1995, actually, after I had spent all my college savings on video games :D and the only college I could afford was a Bible college. (Just imagine, if CAG was around back then I might not have found Christ because I would have had money for a regular university! I kid.) ;) I had resisted the gospel earlier in life, but through that Bible college experience my heart was softened and I gave my life to Jesus.

Denomination-wise, I'm now a pastor at a community church. We're non-denominational and self-governing independently here in our little town.

[quote name='jbuck138'] I still have my beliefs but do not like most organized groups of religion.quote]

I won't say whether I am or not a christian, but I agree totally with this statement, as it pertains to any religion.

Yeah, I guess I am. I was raised a holy roller pentecostal. Married a girl whose parents are holy roller pastors. She is the complete opposite of her parents, but still pushes me every Sunday to church.

Fellow Christian in the house! Glad to see this has been a nice, civil thread. :D

I grew up in a Pentecostal church, and I would tend to get sort of patriotic over denominations and what not. These days, however, I'm much less denomination-minded, and the church I go to now is of the non-denominational variety. People of all sorts of Christian backgrounds go there, and they're mostly my age (20's, even the pastor is like 29). So it's really sweet. They even have an XBOX 360 set up downstairs... now I just gotta figure out how to get my XBLA games from home to work on that thing. ;)

I accepted Christ at the age of 16, and have been a christian ever since (i am now 34). While i grew up in the Church of Christ, i consider myself nondenominational.

I enjoy this site, i just mentally substitute my own title for the site...cheap[donkey*] gamer!

* = (old testament usage for 'ass'.)

[quote name='ryanbph']raised roman catholic, now a bornagain christian[/quote]Good heavens, my eyes are just a tad blurry today for some reason and I looked at your post on the TV and thought it said "bomagain christian" and I was trying to figure what on earth that might mean.

Leaning forward revealed to me what you actually typed. ;)

People are giving their histories a bit so I guess I will mine. I've been born and raised in the Lutheran church, and am currently about a year away from becoming a pastor in our church body. (We have a 4 year undergrad program, then a 4 year Seminary, that includes a "vicar" or "internship" year which I am admist right now.)

There's actually quite a few more people posting here than I'd have figured. Many of the religion dicussion threads seem to be dominated by athiests you can get the wrong idea about your mix of folks on the site.

I can't say, without being somewhat hypocritical, that I am a Christian, but hear me out.

I was raised Christian and I attended a school called Christian Elementary School from preschool through the end of junior high.

At this time, I most definitely believe in God, and I do try to be a good person. I do not, however, go along with all the teachings of Chirstianity.

I have not been baptized. I haven't been to church in 2 years. I use the Lord's name in vain. I cuss. I have engaged in premarital sex quite a few times. I'm sure I've done other things which the Bible considers immoral, as well.

Basically, I believe in God and try to lead a good life, but I could use some improvement.

I'm conflicted. I was raised Cathoic, and while I don't attend church save for weddings and funerals, I do drink like a Catholic still.

I don't care for dogma (though, ironically, or perhaps hypocritically, I have greater disdain for "free for all" nondenominational christianity), and vehemently disagree with the Catholic church on many issues (specifically homophobia and abortion - in the case of the latter, I'm disappointed at the unwillingness of christian faiths to work to emphasize a reduction in unwanted pregnancies, which would spurn a substantial reduction in abortions; in addition, the lack of attention paid to the poor by many Catholics, as well as the political aspect of it (long story for another day).

I'm still partial to Catholicism (I'm a sucker for the pageantry the mass and architecture of Basilicas), but I'm not dedicated to the cause.

I'm a Christian. I was actually inside the church the first Sunday of my life [yes, I've been going to church since I was born]

However, getting a job and school have allowed me to start "skipping" church at least two weeks. I eventually found church to be very conflicting, I could see through so many lies, all the hypocrites, I couldn't take it: the way people plot behind your back, the gossip, the drama. I couldn't take the way people could drop the name Jesus into every sentence and make themselves seem righteous, when in fact their hearts were as dark as coal.

Then there's other aspects of my life, that I don't believe in the whole sex before marriage thing, that I believe in abortion, that I believe in the supernatural, that I believe in free speech, then on top of that I am attracted to girls [and we all know what christians think of that]

I also can't stand the way people put themselves in a little bubble...even the smallest things are sins..it's a sin to listen to this music, it's a sin to watch this movie, it's a sin to play this game, it's a sin to say this word, it's just...no.

When I was saved, born again, I was set free, my chains were broken, so why in the world is my "church family" trying to hold me back, why is it trying to tell me what I should do or what I should feel? Even if it goes against every single drop of my soul, heart, and mind? Even though I feel that God wants me to go in this path...they don't care..they only care for what they want..and they use Jesus' name to do it as they want...

Plus the most ridiculous thing.

The church [at least the ones I have been to] place more faith in the disciples and the gospels instead of God and Christ, they put more faith in self help books and Christian fiction, than in actual scripture, and when they do place faith in the scripture, it's scripture bended and warped to fit THEIR beliefs.

plus it's just so ironic..Black Sabbath melts some faces talking about non sense, and it's the devil's music..some pasty doughy christian metal group does the same thing [only not as well with 100 percent less talent] saying JESUS JESUS JESUS and it's okay? God, no.

But yes, I am a Christian, through and through, my faith is in the savior and his word, I know he guides me well..

And if you find faith and love in a church, than thank God for it, because not everyone is as lucky to find true believers, and if you do find them, stick to them.

Pretty sure daroga knows my stance on such things, which generally is enmeshed in staunch dogma against a lot of doubt and questioning, particularly on hypothetical situations I can propose that don't leave me feeling good afterward.

I imagine one day I'll have an ultimate side, but for the time being there's a lot of white noise and screaming goin' on.

[quote name='daroga']
People are giving their histories a bit so I guess I will mine. I've been born and raised in the Lutheran church, and am currently about a year away from becoming a pastor in our church body. (We have a 4 year undergrad program, then a 4 year Seminary, that includes a "vicar" or "internship" year which I am admist right now.)[/QUOTE]

Holy shmoly, I was a WELS pastor in the late 90s. Quit because of stress and nowadays I'm a regular benchwarmer.

[quote name='The Crotch']
When this thread is over, I'm gonna have to make a "which CAGs are something other than Christian and atheist/agnostic/deist".[/QUOTE]

What? And asplode the internets?

Surely you think not.

[quote name='The Crotch']When this thread is over, I'm gonna have to make a "which CAGs are something other than Christian and atheist/agnostic/deist".[/QUOTE] Liquid. Hiccup. Ikohn. Jaket. I'm sure there are others.

[quote name='jbuck138']I'm a christian, but currently do not go to church. I still have my beliefs but do not like most organized groups of religion. [/QUOTE]

Same here. I'm actually feel I need a steel plate over my back around most "good church going folks". Take note of how many higher ups in corporations are of this breed. Sometimes I think they go to compensate for something they KNOW they've done wrong.

Be excellent to each other....

I am a Chrsitian even though at first glance I might not appear to be. I have a lot of faults (as we all do). The music I listen to, the movies I watch, the games I play, these things don't exactly go hand in hand with Christ's teachings. I don't go to church as much as I should either. My whole thing is I am more of a personal Christian, meaning I feel the most comfortable praying and doing other religious things by myself. I'm not real comfortable openly talking about my beliefs and faith. I consider myself to be a good person but that alone won't buy you a ticket upstairs (according to my own beliefs at least). I need to work on some things but I know where I stand with God and I am ok with that for now.

[quote name='sarausagi']plus it's just so ironic..Black Sabbath melts some faces talking about non sense, and it's the devil's music..some pasty doughy christian metal group does the same thing [only not as well with 100 percent less talent] saying JESUS JESUS JESUS and it's okay? God, no.[/QUOTE]Ha ha, that's a good one. I remember in elementary school (private school) hearing about the evils of Black Sabbath (yes, they were really in touch with 90's youth). This put some FEAR into me and thus I avoided Black Sabbath, and most other "secular" music in general to be on the safe side.

Years later, when my faith became a bit more mature and intelligent - more about a relationship with God, and less about what others told me - I began to explore music more freely. I was checking out Black Sabbath and I was like "wait a minute... that's IT?!?!" I was honestly baffled. A lot of the songs have a rather Christian message to them. A song like "Nativity In Black" is all about how deceptive the devil can be; basically a warning not to follow the path of evil.

I could go into a whole rant about music but I think I'll stop there! I'll just say that lots of Christians have fostered a rather silly attitude about music, and leave it at that for now.

Born again. Parents brought me up that way. I attend the local catholic church occasionally, but mainly go to the baptist church.

[quote name='Chacrana']anyway, I'm Lutheran and I go to church pretty much every week.[/quote] Cool! If you don't mind me asking, which branch? (ELCA, LC-MS, WELS, ELS, CLC, etc. -- goodness, Lutheranism is a mess of acronyms! ;))

[quote name='BustaUppa']I could go into a whole rant about music but I think I'll stop there! I'll just say that lots of Christians have fostered a rather silly attitude about music, and leave it at that for now.[/quote]Personally, I'd rather have my kids (should I ever have any) listen to Black Sabbath, etc. rather than most of contemporary Christian music. We'd certainly talk about the rougher music, how this action or these thoughts are wrong and we ought not emulate them or support them. But I know from very deep personal experience that it is possible to enjoy a song for its beat, guitar rifts, or even poetry and not necessarily support everything it says. It's secular music and not something to be cherished spiritually.

On the other hand, many "Christian" artists play fast and loose with the doctrines of the Bible. As such, that could be far more destructive to someone's faith that heavy metal. If one listens to it to be edifiyed and spiritually upllifted and thus is zeroing in on everything that is said and taking it to heart, if that song or CD contains teaching contrary to the Bible, we have a real problem.

My iPod is filled with what I'd imagine a lot of people would deem "inappropriate" music for the average person, let alone a (future) pastor! About the only Christian music I listen to on a regular basis is Handel's Messiah and a few Bach works (so, the old stuff ;) ).

Since a few of you mentioned Black Sabbath, I have something that easily tops that.

In my 5th grade year at Christian Elementary School, my class had to get our parents to sign permission slips for us to be allowed to see the oh so evil The Lion King.

I was raised a catholic and even went to catholic school for a few years. But upon reading the bible, I couldn't stick with the church. Stuff like worshiping Mary and saints, and going to confession just didn't mesh with what I felt was right. So now I'm basically non-denominational and don't go to church, save for funerals, weddings, and baptisms.

[quote name='mykevermin']I'm conflicted. I was raised Cathoic, and while I don't attend church save for weddings and funerals, I do drink like a Catholic still.

I don't care for dogma (though, ironically, or perhaps hypocritically, I have greater disdain for "free for all" nondenominational christianity), and vehemently disagree with the Catholic church on many issues (specifically homophobia and abortion - in the case of the latter, I'm disappointed at the unwillingness of christian faiths to work to emphasize a reduction in unwanted pregnancies, which would spurn a substantial reduction in abortions; in addition, the lack of attention paid to the poor by many Catholics, as well as the political aspect of it (long story for another day).

I'm still partial to Catholicism (I'm a sucker for the pageantry the mass and architecture of Basilicas), but I'm not dedicated to the cause.[/quote]
Ohh, I like your thinking.

Yes, that is a lot like me right there.
I can't say I agree with ALL the politics of the public face of the Catholic church, and I don't feel I need to.

I'm attracted to Catholicism because of it's rich history, it's mass appeal (from the poor, to the rich) and the ability to be quite solitary in your worship.
There are those can go to Mass every Sunday, and that's that really.
And there are those can further study, not just the Bible, but a whole host of Catholic (and non-Catholic) writers for further insight into shaping and supporting your beliefs.

I felt quite satisfied after finishing "The Confessions of St. Augustine". There's so much to learn. And I want to take full advantage of that.

I don't get that same feeling from non-denominational churches.

I was raised Catholic (grade school, high school) but then I married someone who is Presbyterian. After 9 years of periodically attending her church's services, I became a member of her church. The services aren't as "scripted" as the Catholic services (sit, stand, sit, stand, kneel, sit, etc.), but they're still snorefests. The best thing is that they have breakfast every Sunday before service!

I am a nondenominal Christian who believes what the Bible says and lives by it. I was raised in a nondenominal church for as long as I could remember, but I began to ask myself why I believed what I believed and questioned everything I heard. This is something I believe Christians should do. Check out the Bible and find proof for what you believe. Finding answers, I have established what I believe, and why I believe, and am still strong in my faith.
Good points guys about music you guys. I listen to good stuff that may not be Christian, but isn't harmful either. Listening to nothing but Christian music seems a little extreme to me. Say you like techno music... Then you're limited to the one Christian artist that does that genre. You can't get your electronic fix with just one artist! If people would listen to the great artists of the genres they enjoy, maybe they themselves can become great musicians and improve the Christian library of music and further the message they want to tell. That's what I think.

Parents tried raising me Southern Baptist...didn't take. I'm more apt to study various other religions...though I have a serious leaning to paganistic studies

[quote name='theeipi']Well, if you're making fun of me, I am actually Quaker...[/QUOTE]
How would me saying I'm Amish be making fun of you for being a Quaker?

(You see, I posted that I was Amish on the Internet.)

If I wanted to make fun of you for being a Quaker, I would have posted the Quaker Oats guy.

[quote name='Brak']Amish, here.[/quote]

I've got a case of large, reflective orange triangles just sitting here collecting dust. Interested?

[quote name='jbroush99']I've got a case of large, reflective orange triangles just sitting here collecting dust. Interested?[/QUOTE]
I'd actually need those in order to get to your house, so I can pick them up.

And then the snake would eat itself.

Raised in the Episcopalian church myself. I've gone to the same church since I was little and I go pretty much every Sunday.

I don't know that I can associate with a specific denomination - I have spent quite a lot of time in a Southern Baptist church, some in a Presbyterian church, and a bit in others. Currently I go to an Evangelical Free church. I would say that I am a Calvinist - I still have many things to work out though.

[quote name='daroga']My iPod is filled with what I'd imagine a lot of people would deem "inappropriate" music for the average person, let alone a (future) pastor![/QUOTE]

It sounds like you will make an excellent pastor!

bread's done
Back