Who got the props? 5ft, Evil Dee & BuckshOTT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here you go:

As such, about 80 percent of the nearly $7 billion of the N.F.L.’s annual revenues are divided evenly among all 32 teams. Before the New York Giants or Kansas City Chiefs ever play a game, they’re each entitled to about $150 million in annual revenue. According to a Forbes estimate, all but one N.F.L. team brought in between $182 and $255 million in 2006 (only the Redskins exceeded $300 million). With the Jets and Giants in the middle of the pack, earning less revenue than Tampa Bay, Carolina, or Denver, it is clear that market size has little impact on the revenue base of an N.F.L. club.

By contrast, an M.L.B. team is essentially a local business. Less than 25 percent of all revenues are distributed evenly among the 30 teams. More than three-quarters of the $6 billion in annual revenues are earned and kept at the local level, with a disproportionate share going to teams in large markets with strong team brands and greater on-field success. Unlike the stable, “money-in-the-bank” revenues of an N.F.L. team, the primary revenues of a baseball team — attendance, ticket price increases, luxury suite rentals, and local broadcast ratings and subsequent rights fees — can rise and fall with winning and losing seasons. (I discuss these nuances in depth in my book, Diamond Dollars.) I’d estimate the 2007 Yankees generated nearly $400 million in annual revenue, while the Tampa Bay Devil Rays barely generated $100 million.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']There is a salary cap, Frosty. It's just that the Yankees can afford the penalty.[/quote]

Are you sure? Cause I've never heard of it. And I can't find anything about it in a quick search of the 'net, in fact, google returns mostly results with people pontificating about the need of a cap in MLB.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Have you ever seen Detroit before this season? They were decent this year compared to the past few years.[/quote]

Ok, they improved. 3-13 to 6-10 is a decent turnaround.

I read that as the NFL makes more money than the MLB and each NFL team makes more than all but a handful of the top teams in the MLB.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Are you sure? Cause I've never heard of it. And I can't find anything about it in a quick search of the 'net, in fact, google returns mostly results with people pontificating about the need of a cap in MLB.[/quote]

There is no "Cap". But if you spend over a certain amount, you have to pay a luxury tax on it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Have you ever seen Detroit before this season? They were decent this year compared to the past few years.[/quote]

Dude. I live near Detroit and I am forced to watch all of their games.

I have seen them every season since I was 14.

You clearly have not followed them at all. And thats not a knock on you. Anyone who lives in or near D-town knows. We have a GM that is literally 14-58 yet he is still employed.

There record last year was a joke. The first half of the season they were just barely getting wins on the worst god damn teams in the NFL.

It goes on and on. Every sports station here spends 90% of their time just ripping them apart.

The bigger problem in baseball than overspending IMO, is underspending by owners who take the luxury tax money and put it in their own pockets.

But that may be just cause I'm a Red Sox fan.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Dude. I live near Detroit and I am forced to watch all of their games.

I have seen them every season since I was 14.

You clearly have not followed them at all. And thats not a knock on you. Anyone who lives in or near D-town knows. We have a GM that is literally 14-58 yet he is still employed.

There record last year was a joke. The first half of the season they were just barely getting wins on the worst god damn teams in the NFL.

It goes on and on. Every sports station here spends 90% of their time just ripping them apart.[/quote]

It's Millentastic and Millentacular! How that guy has not lost his job...

Then again, the team is owned by the Ford family and look what's happening to the family business...

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap#Luxury_Tax_in_Major_League_Baseball[/quote]

I don't consider that a cap. With the NFL and other sports, there's a "oh shit" situation -- Steinbrenner, making $$$$ hand over fist, can just throw more money at it and make the problem go away.

Luxury Tax != Salary Cap

[quote name='lordwow']The bigger problem in baseball than overspending IMO, is underspending by owners who take the luxury tax money and put it in their own pockets.

But that may be just cause I'm a Red Sox fan.[/quote]

I agree. But I don't have worry about that with the Cubs & W. Sox. Its like an cheap arms race. They will not go over that limit.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']I agree. But I don't have worry about that with the Cubs & W. Sox. Its like an cheap arms race. They will not go over that limit.[/QUOTE]

One of these days I'm gonna head out to Chicago and catch some games out there. I love watching the Cubs on WGN. I need my fix of NL baseball somedays, and the Cubbies are great this year.

[quote name='lordwow']The bigger problem in baseball than overspending IMO, is underspending by owners who take the luxury tax money and put it in their own pockets.

But that may be just cause I'm a Red Sox fan.[/quote]

You'll have that problem with every sport, regardless of cap... there are NFL teams who refuse to spend their extra cap dollars and keep the money. A cap will just help prevent the situation where a team can buy championships... who, other than yankees fans, actually cared about the world series in 2000?

[quote name='tiredfornow']Baseball is just as boring as Golf... maybe more boring than Nascar.[/QUOTE]

that's impossible

[quote name='lordwow']One of these days I'm gonna head out to Chicago and catch some games out there. I love watching the Cubs on WGN. I need my fix of NL baseball somedays, and the Cubbies are great this year.[/quote]

I never been there. Maybe this year i'll go, with a Stub Hub code.

[quote name='manthing']Jeezus Weapon, you live right outside of the Chi and never been to Wrigley?

Must be a Sox fan...

;)[/quote]

Yep. But i don't hate The cubs. Just the fans. :D

[quote name='getmeoutofjoliet']Peeing in a trough is overrated.[/quote]

You got that right...

as is sitting out in the blazing sun in 90+ degrees with no respite but 100 year old concrete...

Wrigley *is* overrated. But it's still something to say you've done. Blame Ferris

And at least you don't need a Sherpa guide, walking stick, and something to counteract vertigo in the upper deck, unlike the South Side...

;)

[quote name='lordwow']I'd love to go to one of those CWS/CHC games. But I'm still trying to get into a NYY/BOS game.[/quote]

Good luck with both. It wont be cheap. A friend went to the last Cubs/Sox game and loved it. The Sox fans were fighting each other. The Sox won.

[quote name='manthing']You got that right...

as is sitting out in the blazing sun in 90+ degrees with no respite but 100 year old concrete...

Wrigley *is* overrated. But it's still something to say you've done. Blame Ferris

And at least you don't need a Sherpa guide, walking stick, and something to counteract vertigo in the upper deck, unlike the South Side...

;)[/quote]

Shit, fuck them seats. If they are the only seats left, I just wont go.

The seats at Fenway must be equally as bad. The bleachers are ridiculously small. Like I'm an average sized guy, and I can barely fit in the seats.

I've only been to Fenway about 25 times.

I went 3 times last year. I've only been once this year, but probably again later in the season.

[quote name='lordwow']The seats at Fenway must be equally as bad. The bleachers are ridiculously small. Like I'm an average sized guy, and I can barely fit in the seats.[/quote]

Are you talking about The Green Monster seats? They seem cool as hell.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Are you talking about The Green Monster seats? They seem cool as hell.[/QUOTE]

No. Those are bar stools. I've been up there once (my dad got them) against the Mets. They are pricey as shit. $125/ticket.

Ridiculously awesome view and great service up there though (there's only like 100 seats up there)

I'm talking about the bleachers out by the bullpen and the triangle in center.

I went to Comiskey maybe 3 times, and the Cell just once.

But I'm just a poor kid.

I've also been to the Royals field, and a the Braves stadium twice.

Oh and the Astrodome.

I haven't been to see a baseball game in years. I'd only go for beanie baby night. Now the Rays are doing well and crap so I should go see a game.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']VoD and HD are better than Trapped IMO -- though Trapped has a lot of variety -- VoD and HD are more rock/alternative with some punk influence or something.[/quote]

What is this? It sounds good.

My parents went to a Devil Rays game last year with the BoSox there. They had like front row seats for like $20. They also said they parked in the front row, and there was a total attendance of 3,000 there.

Its too fast paced for ya, JFD.

You'll poop ya pants like ya do in COD. : )

Amazon's DOTD though, and I'm sure by Thursday it'll turn up used at GS/EB somewhere and you can use that 25% off + EDGE to make it around 38 bucks including tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back