Wii Shop Channel Thread - 12/29 StarTropics II, Maboshi's Arcade, Cue Sports: Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those quotes lost their power the moment they got taken out of your sig, Joom'd.

Regardless, you can still be an executioner if you want. Not going to listen to you say I got away with some technicality.

Secret of Mana isn't quite an RPG. Like it is, but it's not traditional. It's more like Legend of Zelda where it's more of adventure.

But let's stop talking about OTHER games. Super Mario RPG is here!! Queen Valentina tittes for ALL!

I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!

[quote name='lilboo']Well, being that it's called Super Mario RPG...it's pretty much an RPG :lol: ;)
Do a search on YouTube for Super Mario RPG and watch some gameplay footage. It's very much a traditional RPG..but it's just so good :applause:[/quote]

Ahh man..I was hoping you would say otherwise

Here's a video I found:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Xw15rmILI&feature=related

I don't think I'll be picking it up. I do like the charm and look of the game, it's just that it doesn't look like it would hold my interest for some reason.

[quote name='Strell']Overall it's more an RPG.

There are two main things to consider outside of this. The first are the active battles, which means that you have to press buttons at the right time to makes your attacks hit harder. It also helps you defend against attacks. For example, Mario has a jump attack. If you press the attack button right before he lands on the enemy, he'll do more damage. Eventually you can do a continuous jump, which helps rack up the damage against the bigger bosses.

The second thing is that outside of battles, you navigate a 3D world from a fixed overhead isometric view. There's a lot of jumping puzzles in the game to keep it feeling fresh, as if it were an action game as well.

It's not a conventional RPG by any means. There's never really a grinding element (except at the very end, and only then if you want to take out one specific enemy), there's a lot of active button pressing during battles (keeping them entertaining instead of just pushing through them), and the overall game doesn't take itself too seriously. Lots of little things to discover, a few minigames here and there.

An exquisite game by any standards.[/quote]

You make it sound like pokemon (with the turn-based battles) and then some, and I love me some pokemon. Tough call on this game. I love the style and how it incorporates so much mario in the game but I just have a gut feeling I'll get burned again (like earlier last month :hot:).

Nintendo Channel is updated. They have Super Mario RPG info video as well as My Aquarium.

But get this. They have a Spore Creatures DS Demo up too! How neat!

My virtual console ban is now over. I plan on picking up some more points and downloading more games,like Y's sometime soon after I finish SMRPG.

Also, Nintendo hates us. We should have had Earthbound to download today too! ;)

Shit...Super Mario RPG or 90210 marathon on SoapNet!??!?! Crap, I need two TVs in the living room right now (yes, still waiting for it to download)

[quote name='Kendal']Also, Nintendo hates us. We should have had Earthbound to download today too! ;)[/quote]

Not to mention Shining Force II as well.

SMRPG is only 60 blocks, I'm surprised, I cleared off like 200 blocks just in case.

I honestly wouldn't call SMRPG exquisite. It's well-made, yes, but so were most Square games of that era. It's a good RPG. The viewpoint and the jump mechanics is new for RPGs, but to suggest that it's major innovation beyond the norm is misleading.

More than anything, IMO, it is cute. I'm not using the word to rile Nintendo fans, I'm calling it what it is: the standard RPG and with a thick Nintendo overlay. The innovation of CT is far and away easier to appreciate, and if you're going for cute alone, SoM is to me just as cute as SMRPG while being much more playable and challenging.

As far as specific criticisms, I didn't like the timed attacks, and I thought then and think now that the graphics have that ugly, chunky, DKC-style look. There's not much gear in the game and not much to do outside the main storyline. The only cool nonlinear part of the game is the battle with Culex, which is the game's only true challenge. It's the only thing in the game I had to grind and prepare for. Otherwise, the game is relatively easy.

I prefer SoM by far. Just one crazy asshole's opinion.

It's a curious thing you like Nintendo games at all, since the overall vibe is "they all aren't more than a C+ student" which can give or take another letter grade depending on how many people like the game in question.

The timed attacks and jumping puzzles weren't in any RPGs in that generation that I can remember, unless you stretch the definition and start saying things like Ys III and Zelda II count. And beyond that, the timed attacks make sense in the Mario universe. Yeah you could have palette-switched everything out and stuck in Kain for the continuous jumps, but it just wouldn't have made sense in a world where Square likes to pretend to itself that things are srrrrrrrrious. Besides I didn't call it an innovation "beyond the norm," but suggesting it isn't innovative is just silly given the period it was introduced in.

I'll even be fair - there are better RPGs than it. But it's leaps and bounds ahead of 99% of the competitors from that era, and is ahead of 99% of the hokey FFVII wannabe games we have now. You're talking like it's not a well-crafted game in a mediocre sea of gonorrhea that most of the genre wallows in.

Geez. What's with this endless drive to not only discredit everything Nintendo does today, but also ruin everything they've done in the past? What's the opposite of rose colored glasses? Poison Hornet glasses? Lemon Juice glasses?

@Foo: There are no Pokemon elements in this game at all. I don't think you meant mechanics re: catch 'em all, but in case I was unclear, just wanted to point that out.

Glad you guys got it :D

...So, i'm allowed talk about it now without lilboo going ballistic?

I've been busy studying for school, but I'm in the town with the arrows raining from the sky. fantastic so far :whee:

[quote name='Foo228']
You make it sound like pokemon (with the turn-based battles) and then some, and I love me some pokemon. Tough call on this game. I love the style and how it incorporates so much mario in the game but I just have a gut feeling I'll get burned again (like earlier last month :hot:).[/QUOTE]

At under $10 you an afford to get burned once in a while.

[quote name='dothog']As far as specific criticisms, I didn't like the timed attacks, and I thought then and think now that the graphics have that ugly, chunky, DKC-style look.[/QUOTE]

I'm kind of glad that I'm not the only one that did not like the timed attacks. For some reason, I couldn't get into the first time around, but I'll probably give it a 2nd chance sooner or later.

Super Mario RPG still does not make up for the shoddy VC releases for the past couple of months compared to Japan/EU. Its great that they have finally released it, but I am going to hold my tongue for the most part until I start seeing a more steady release schedule. Japan has over 100 more titles than the US, and I honestly can't find a good excuse for that much of a gap. I'm happy with the VC titles I have bought so far, I'm just disappointed in the last few months' pace of releases.

Does this game look like crap for anyone else? Its displaying at 480p but man, talk bout some major jaggies and uneven lines. I was expecting it to be cleaned up a bit...

[quote name='Strell']@Foo: There are no Pokemon elements in this game at all. I don't think you meant mechanics re: catch 'em all, but in case I was unclear, just wanted to point that out.[/quote]

The way I saw it was with turn based rpg, that's it though. I figure it's not like it in anymore ways. Sad, sad face. :cry:

Oh, it's turn based. All turn based.

I'm just saying you issue out a command and instead of just passively watching it play out, you can deal more/receive less damage by hitting buttons at the correct time.

Same with the magic/spell system - you have to do certain things to score more hits, like hitting buttons fast and so on.

But it's all turn based.

Man, this is fantastic news for me. It really brightens up my day, because Slant 6 wanted to delay the Socom Confrontation beta til friday.

I watched that review on the page before, and it brought back a lot of memories. Really great review. Gotta love Geno, I can't believe Square hasn't given up the rights to him yet (I see no reason not too, unless they want to plan a game with him in it). He forgot to mention the 9999 Geno trick, though.

Maybe I can finally finish this game. Got up to Smithy and realized that I sold the stupid seed....those who have played this game will probably know what I'm talking about (lazy shell). Man, didn't play that game at all when I found out I lost the seed. Just gotta get out to my car, outside my house (it's kinda far, 100 feet).

Time to break out my OSG for Super Mario RPG. Had that for a really long time and will get to use it once again.

Where do I find Super Mario RPG? I went to the Wii Store 3 times around noonish and the only new release games are the games from last monday. I haven't touched my Wii in 4 months and this is prolly how it repays me :(

Yes! It's finally out! Since I first heard about the Virtual Console, I knew this was the game that had to be on there. Time to buy up some Wii Points because here I come Clu Clu Land!!!

/sarcasm

Really, triple woot for Super Mario RPG! :)

Don't make fun of Clu Clu Land. It's a really good game. :nottalking:

This is surprisingly a cheap week. SMRPG for $8 is very fair, in fact, even the premium of $9 would have been fair since the cartridge is 'spensiiiive! (EUROPEANS WOULDN'T KNOW! LOL! LOL! LOLOL!)..and Clu Clu Land is a GOOD NES game, so the $5 is worth it as well.

Even this My Aquarium looks decent for $5. I am surprised it's not an $8 or $10 'game', so that's pretty nice.

Can't wait to see how we all get disappointed next week! :lol:

The only way Nintendo can possibly top this is by releasing Secret of Mana or Earthbound. As of now, Nintendo is good until 2009.

[quote name='UltimoRey']Anyone getting the Aquarium "game"?[/quote]
I will once it becomes available at the swashbuckling pirate price point.

Dammit, thanks to lilboo I want to cheat on EarthBound for Super Mario-oooo RPG. (sound warning)

[quote name='yukine']I've never played SMRPG.

And I'm not going to start now. :nottalking:

Also I'm the biggest doofus in the world.[/QUOTE]

Stop submitting the post before you're done writing it.

Like others have commented, great news SMRPG is out... I didn't even notice it was coming out.

This is one of my all time favorites from the SNES/Genesis days & I will be downloading it.

If you haven't played this game you owe it to yourself. Really. The Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games strive to be this, but ultimately fall short.

[quote name='MadChedar0']The Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games strive to be this, but ultimately fall short.[/QUOTE]

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door easily holds it own, and might even be better than SMRPG, but that would be a tough call to make.

Just sayin' it's a great game.

[quote name='Strell']Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door easily holds it own, and might even be better than SMRPG, but that would be a tough call to make.

Just sayin' it's a great game.[/quote]
That's definitely a tough call, since TYD is one of the best in the series.

I don't know if I wanna get this again. I beat the snot out of this game so many times, I'm afraid it might not be any fun for me anymore. It'd just be me, doing this:

"Hm, hidden box, thank you. 30+ jumps on Hammer Bros? Yes please. Geno? Game begins. Oh, look, the Forest Maze secret. Oh yeah, need to compose with Toadofsky, and give that Cricket Pie to Frogfucious. Lazy Shells? Cool. Attack Scarf? Gimme. Upgraded Lamb's Lure....ok."

The last few times I played through SMRPG, that's all I did.

:shame:
Ya'll need to stop that!

Yes, My Aquarium doesn't look really fun, however, we all know what to expect out of it and it's ONLY $5. It looks neat, and I won't be getting it, but still.

Clu Clu Land IS good. :wall:
Of course, with SMRPG being out it does blow away anything that comes out this week.

SMRPG, Clu Clu Land...and I download My Aquarium first. I suck.

I know I'm not going to play SMRPG for a while but I was thinking of downloading it just to show support for big name titles like this.

I started playing SMRPG and found it pretty hard to stop. I played it back when it first came out but it was on a rental and I didn't quite finish it. I'm happy that it is, at this point compelling enough that I had to make myself stop playing it. Half the time I'm the opposite, I have to force myself to continue playing something to at least push through the opening bits of a game where stuff is usually more boring.

Is there anything I need to know about SMRPG before playing it? For example, in The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, if you didn't do a sidequest before completing the fifth dungeon, you were forever barred from completing it and getting a helpful item. Anything like that in SMRPG?

Is there anything that if I happen not to see when it is first available that becomes permanently unavailable? As in if I miss it, I'm fucked?

edit: nevermind, I just looked on GameFAQs. :nottalking:

I think SMRPG will be my last VC title, as I think I'm pretty much out of meaningful HDD space now. :p If Nintendo wants any more of my money, at least for their Wiiware/VC stuff, then they better have that storage solution come TGS...

[quote name='Halo05']I started playing SMRPG and found it pretty hard to stop. I played it back when it first came out but it was on a rental and I didn't quite finish it.[/QUOTE]
ditto

Heck freaking yeah baby. Super Mario RPG. I think I've been waiting out the virtual console for this game alone. I may pause my current games to jump into this one.

I'm coming back Mallow.

So I bought 2000 Wii Points on Ebay for 16.50. The lady sends me the code but wait it's not the code. She sent me the small tiny text code on the very bottom of the card and not the code behind the silver scratch off part. I've emailed her numerous about it bit she hasn't respond back yet. I hope she gets back to me ASAP since I want SMRPG. Waiting blows :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back