Wii U - Beginning of the end > Cheap game thread

Managed to get a Pro controller and a few nunchucks from my Walmart clearance area. They also had a replacement sensor bar for $8. Is that something that I should consider picking up as well? I mean, baring abuse from small children or pets (neither of which I have) do those things have any kind of reputation for failure?

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone in SoCal, there are 2 pro controllers left at the Colton Walmart. I picked two up this morning for $25 each. There were about half a dozen of the Toad remotes for $20 each.
That store used to be one of my go too stores, I went to the riverside store in the morning and struck out.

Yeah, all the "N" ones now are refurbs. If you check over at Gamefaqs, most of the people there report theirs was in new condition as well. I would say maybe 1 out of 10 mentions something not being perfect, but those are the minority for sure.
Thanks, think I will def grab one. Either the black off Ebay bc of the $20 Ebay bucks and free shipping, or the white off Nintendo. Also thinking of the extended battery pack. But will my wife be okay spending another $240 on a dead system lol? Also, I noticed a Link gold racing wheel too:

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod650524

I've been searching rigorously the past few days to add to the Wii U collection. I ordered Twilight princess for 40 new on ebay, and Pikimin 3 for 16 from best buy.

Current collection:

Zelda: BOTW, TP, and WW.
Mario kart
Mario 3D
Mario maker
Smash bros
Xenoblade (30 at GS)
Tokyo Mirage (40 at GS)
Pikimin 3 (16 at BB)
Wonderful 101 (30 at amazon)
ZombiU (10 bucks at amazon)
Donkey Kong tropical freeze
Yoshi wooly world

I put any deals I thought were ok in parentheses. The other games besides Zelda were part of my bundle

Any other games a wii u collection should have? I've checked a few top 25 wii u lists and this looks to be the consensus. Is Splatoon of any interest if mainly playing single player?
As others have said - Bayonetta 2 is the killer app on the system. For Bayonetta 1, Nintendo even allowed Sega/Platinum to dress up Bayonetta in Peach, Samus, or Star Fox outfits. Crazy.

Anyways, my Wii U collection and other collections can be found here:

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/361326-wii-u-show-us-your-collection/

I'd say you should also get Game and Wario (a much overlooked game that truly leveraged the gamepad) and Devil's Third. Don't let the naysayers push you away. It is a VERY rare game, though. Potentially one of the rarest games ever published by Nintendo, or for that matter, anyone else.

I'd also say you should pick up NES Remix and New Super Mario Bros. and New Luigi U. I suspect all of these might make it to the Switch, however.

Kirby and Captain Toad probably won't, though. Two solid games.

Is Twilight Princess hard to find or something? I found a WM that had like a ton of them. I didn't think they were marked down as of right now.

I also purchased the 32gb White from the Nintendo store. Except in my case, the purchase was made earlier today.

I wish you luck, and I've got my fingers crossed for myself.
Count me as another who bought the 32GB white refurbed unit as a backup. Also hoping that I get one in great condition.

That store used to be one of my go too stores, I went to the riverside store in the morning and struck out.
I stopped by while I was driving through the area for work. I think Brickseek listed 3 available for the pro controller but I was surprised to see 4 in the case. Are you planning to check it out?

Anyone have experience with the PowerA wireless sensor bar? It'd be nice to use one less wire.

EDIT: I saw a couple for $8, would post the SKU but Brickseek is currently having problems.

I stopped by while I was driving through the area for work. I think Brickseek listed 3 available for the pro controller but I was surprised to see 4 in the case. Are you planning to check it out?

Maybe, it shows -2 now. I won't have time till Saturday anyway.

Is Brickseek busted for anyone else? I enter my zipcode and it loads forever and doesn't give me any information even after it's done loading. I don't have adblock installed on that site, either.

As others have said - Bayonetta 2 is the killer app on the system. For Bayonetta 1, Nintendo even allowed Sega/Platinum to dress up Bayonetta in Peach, Samus, or Star Fox outfits. Crazy.

Anyways, my Wii U collection and other collections can be found here:
https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/361326-wii-u-show-us-your-collection/

I'd say you should also get Game and Wario (a much overlooked game that truly leveraged the gamepad) and Devil's Third. Don't let the naysayers push you away. It is a VERY rare game, though. Potentially one of the rarest games ever published by Nintendo, or for that matter, anyone else.

I'd also say you should pick up NES Remix and New Super Mario Bros. and New Luigi U. I suspect all of these might make it to the Switch, however.

Kirby and Captain Toad probably won't, though. Two solid games.
Thanks for the recommendations. I just ordered bayonetta 2 (30 bucks at TRU.com was best I could find). I was hesitant at first because I played the first and wasn't a huge fan (I freely admit I'm more of a button masher in these types of games and I know bayonetta punishes that), but I'll give this a shot.

I think I'd like captain toad and Kirby but I'm not seeing any decent prices on those yet. I'll keep an eye out.

Anyone have experience with the PowerA wireless sensor bar? It'd be nice to use one less wire.

EDIT: I saw a couple for $8, would post the SKU but Brickseek is currently having problems.
I got two of them for $3 each with free shipping from Best Buy (one for me, one for my dad). I use mine wired, he uses his wireless and said it just devours batteries (fresh ones were dead after approx 4-6 hours of use). Prob not a concern though if you have some rechargeables to pop in.

..Looks like the price has jumped back up on them, though. Sad days.

I got two of them for $3 each with free shipping from Best Buy (one for me, one for my dad). I use mine wired, he uses his wireless and said it just devours batteries (fresh ones were dead after approx 4-6 hours of use). Prob not a concern though if you have some rechargeables to pop in.

..Looks like the price has jumped back up on them, though. Sad days.
Oh wow, that's pretty bad. Not sure if I want to worry about switching batteries that often. Thanks for the info!

I've been searching rigorously the past few days to add to the Wii U collection. I ordered Twilight princess for 40 new on ebay, and Pikimin 3 for 16 from best buy.

Current collection:

Mario kart
Mario 3D
Mario maker
Smash bros
Xenoblade (30 at GS)
Tokyo Mirage (40 at GS)
Pikimin 3 (16 at BB)
Yoshi wooly world

I put any deals I thought were ok in parentheses. The other games besides Zelda were part of my bundle

Any other games a wii u collection should have? I've checked a few top 25 wii u lists and this looks to be the consensus. Is Splatoon of any interest if mainly playing single player?
I grabbed Wonderful 101 at Walmart for $15.
Pretty sure it's common but ymmv.

Also target has a buy two get 1 sale going which is perfect for picking up three of the $20 Nintendo select games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current collection:

Mario kart
Mario 3D
Mario maker
Smash bros
Xenoblade (30 at GS)
Tokyo Mirage (40 at GS)
Pikimin 3 (16 at BB)
Yoshi wooly world

New Super Mario Bros/Luigi Bro WiiU

Yeah I'm definitely discovering I could have saved even more money by buying smarter (though I haven't been terrible). Could have gotten captain toad and wonderful 101 for 30 each from target and gotten a freebie. Ditto for Zelda wind waker and pikimin with another 20 dollar freebie. Oh well, my wii u was delivered today according to my email, so I'm looking forward to firing it up when I get home.

The nintendo ebay listing of the refurb wii u looks like it's reaching its final stock.  137 sold in 1 hour and at 98% sold now.  Who knows if they will add more stock later.

And so many people buying 5, 10 or 20 at a time.  They must be hoping to flip them.

Too many people with low feedback ordering exactly 5 though.  Seems like something fishy happening there.  Gone now.

The nintendo ebay listing of the refurb wii u looks like it's reaching its final stock. 137 sold in 1 hour and at 98% sold now. Who knows if they will add more stock later.

And so many people buying 5, 10 or 20 at a time. They must be hoping to flip them.

Too many people with low feedback ordering exactly 5 though. Seems like something fishy happening there. Gone now.
People buying multiple consoles hoping to flip them later are in for a rude awakening. Consoles only keep their value for as long as there are cult exclusive games on them. The Wii U's library - while still relatively exceptional -- is not going to hold much weight as Nintendo inevitably ports most of its best titles to the Switch.

The only games I see potentially *never* coming to the Switch are a small handful (e.g., Devil's Third; Tokyo Mirage Sessions; Kirby and the Rainbow Curse; and Game and Wario). Beyond these, Nintendo could easily port the rest as they never really used the gamepad.

Also, add to this Nintendo's recent announcement that NOT all games will even use the TV mode, and suddenly all of the Wii U's Nintendo titles are fair game for ports. We already know the Switch has a higher-end multi-touch touchscreen so what's to stop Nintendo from eventually bringing over every Wii U game? The answer is nothing. And besides, only 13 million people bought the Wii U so there's a huge incentive for Nintendo to do this.

Bottomline is the Wii U's value therefore isn't likely to rise much. If anything, it'll tank further. That's not to say it was a bad console, it just means there is no real value in having it to flip.

The Dreamcast experienced a similar afterlife. For a time, the DC went for higher prices because it was the only place you could play Shenmue, Powerstone, or Crazy Taxi. As those games started to be ported to other consoles, the premium for owning a DC naturally went down. Frankly, at this point, the DC has VERY few titles still tied to the system - it's those GAMES that hold value, not the console itself. Just look at the prices for Project Justice or Cannon Spike.

In short, those buying the Wii U to flip seem to know very little about the gaming marketplace. Just because something has the Nintendo name on it doesn't make it valuable, folks.

Well, I was surprised to even see people in this thread who never bought it talking about how they are scrambling now.  So who knows how many others are like them.  Where were you when it could have made a difference? haha

nintendo on ebay just listed a few more things from their store at 50% off and free shipping:

mario tennis open: $25

bravely second: $20

yokai watch: $20

toad treasure tracker: $20

star fox: $30

Does the White color of Pro Controller more rare than black right? Any thought?
They discontinued the white one awhile ago I believe. I think around the time they stopped selling the White Wii U here in the states. I bought mine on sale at BB during that time, as it was on clearance for what I'm assuming was them no longer planning to carry it. Some places may have had inventory for awhile, but when retailers ran out, I never saw them come back.

Well, I was surprised to even see people in this thread who never bought it talking about how they are scrambling now. So who knows how many others are like them. Where were you when it could have made a difference? haha

nintendo on ebay just listed a few more things from their store at 50% off and free shipping:

mario tennis open: $25

bravely second: $20

yokai watch: $20

toad treasure tracker: $20

star fox: $30
Waiting for a price drop. Which...never came. :(

Thanks for the head's up on the new Ebay deals. I'll probably pick up Treasure Toad, and I'm thinking about Mario Tennis. Though reviews seem pretty mixed on Tennis.

Waiting for a price drop. Which...never came. :(
I think there are a lot of us in that boat. Oh well, at least I have plenty of sealed Wii U games that I picked up for really cheap over the years that everyone is scrambling to get now. ;) I could always sell them down the road if I don't get the console.

Twilight Princess HD with Wolf Amiibo is clearanced to $25 at my Walmart. Killing me that I already own it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

People buying multiple consoles hoping to flip them later are in for a rude awakening. Consoles only keep their value for as long as there are cult exclusive games on them. The Wii U's library - while still relatively exceptional -- is not going to hold much weight as Nintendo inevitably ports most of its best titles to the Switch.

The only games I see potentially *never* coming to the Switch are a small handful (e.g., Devil's Third; Tokyo Mirage Sessions; Kirby and the Rainbow Curse; and Game and Wario). Beyond these, Nintendo could easily port the rest as they never really used the gamepad.

Also, add to this Nintendo's recent announcement that NOT all games will even use the TV mode, and suddenly all of the Wii U's Nintendo titles are fair game for ports. We already know the Switch has a higher-end multi-touch touchscreen so what's to stop Nintendo from eventually bringing over every Wii U game? The answer is nothing. And besides, only 13 million people bought the Wii U so there's a huge incentive for Nintendo to do this.

Bottomline is the Wii U's value therefore isn't likely to rise much. If anything, it'll tank further. That's not to say it was a bad console, it just means there is no real value in having it to flip.

The Dreamcast experienced a similar afterlife. For a time, the DC went for higher prices because it was the only place you could play Shenmue, Powerstone, or Crazy Taxi. As those games started to be ported to other consoles, the premium for owning a DC naturally went down. Frankly, at this point, the DC has VERY few titles still tied to the system - it's those GAMES that hold value, not the console itself. Just look at the prices for Project Justice or Cannon Spike.

In short, those buying the Wii U to flip seem to know very little about the gaming marketplace. Just because something has the Nintendo name on it doesn't make it valuable, folks.
All good points and the only reason I picked up a DC a few years ago was to play a few games

Toy Commander

Powerstone 1 and 2 (yes I know it came out on PSP, its just not the same)

Snk vs Capcom

Soul Calibur

But the games that never showed up on other systems are just climbing in value

Lots of local people trying to sell their Wii U's a few people with decent bundles around $250. I would like to pay $200 or less at this point 

I have been thinking about the Starfox Zero for some time now, I know there are bad and good reviews on this game. But I take my chance at $30 on Nintendo eBay this time for this game into my WiiU collection games set. 

Not sure if I also want to take Mario Tennis Ultra, many reviews said it's nothing special beside great graphics. 

I have been thinking about the Starfox Zero for some time now, I know there are bad and good reviews on this game. But I take my chance at $30 on Nintendo eBay this time for this game into my WiiU collection games set.

Not sure if I also want to take Mario Tennis Ultra, many reviews said it's nothing special beside great graphics.
Star Fox Zero is a bad game. It was once $20 on Amazon and even then few Wii U owners bought it.

If you've never played a Star Fox game (ala Star Fox 64), then may be it's worth it. If you have, then Zero will probably remind you over and over and over again that Nintendo is needlessly (and for no good reason) shoving the gamepad's motion controls down your throat, which wouldn't be so bad if the controls worked even most of the time (which they don't). The fact that the motion controls hinder your gameplay here is a cardinal sin. After all, Star Fox is a game of precision and persistence for those high scores.

It's just not fun when instead of fighting your enemies, you're fighting the controller.

The option to play Zero with the Pro controller would easily have bumped those review scores up 1-2 points.

Star Fox Zero is a bad game. It was once $20 on Amazon and even then few Wii U owners bought it.

If you've never played a Star Fox game (ala Star Fox 64), then may be it's worth it. If you have, then Zero will probably remind you over and over and over again that Nintendo is needlessly (and for no good reason) shoving the gamepad's motion controls down your throat, which wouldn't be so bad if the controls worked even most of the time (which they don't). The fact that the motion controls hinder your gameplay here is a cardinal sin. After all, Star Fox is a game of precision and persistence for those high scores.

It's just not fun when instead of fighting your enemies, you're fighting the controller.

The option to play Zero with the Pro controller would easily have bumped those review scores up 1-2 points.
Totally agree with you there are some bad issue with this game. However, I didn't plan to buy this game in past due to those issue but now I changed my mind and now it cost more a bit.

I might not open the box or open it to play with my Wii U Pro Controller.

Totally agree with you there are some bad issue with this game. However, I didn't plan to buy this game in past due to those issue but now I changed my mind and now it cost more a bit.

I might not open the box or open it to play with my Wii U Pro Controller.
I get buying it from a collector's standpoint ...

Again, you CAN'T play Star Fox Zero with the Pro Controller. Nintendo forces you to play it with the gamepad's motion controls. The games does NOT support any other controller configuration.

I did forget about Wii Sports Club.  That's a game I need and I never picked up.

If anyone has a sealed (or mint) copy, and they want to trade for a sealed New Super Luigi U, let me know!

Twilight Princess HD with Wolf Amiibo is clearanced to $25 at my Walmart. Killing me that I already own it.
Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Damn. I've been on the lookout at my local Walmart but they never dropped so I ended up taking advantage of TRU's buy 1 get 1 40% off. Ended up buying Twilight Princess & Mario Maker.,,

Ordered captain toad. Thanks for the heads up. That will probably complete my wii u collection (though I wouldn't mind getting NintendoLand). Looking forward to some good times ahead. Debating if I want to jump right in to BOTW, or fart around in some of the smaller stuff first since Zelda will be quite a time sink

BTW, they must have added more of the Black Wii U's to their listing, as the last time I checked, it was up to "more than 88% sold" I believe, and now it's back down to 80%.

I think I will just grab a black one from the Ebay store.  I'm hoping there is a better chance it's a Brand new (pulled from stores) unit?  Either way, with the 10% Ebay bucks that ends in a few hours, it'd be $20 in rewards.  Plus free shipping.

That'd be in addition to Star Fox, Captain Toad, Mario Tennis, Toad remote, Yoshi remote from these clearances.

Mainly want Paper Mario, Kirby, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101 and Bowser remote to complete must haves.  Maybe Tokyo Mirage Sessions, NES remix, Minecraft, and a few others at some point.

I think I will just grab a black one from the Ebay store. I'm hoping there is a better chance it's a Brand new (pulled from stores) unit? Either way, with the 10% Ebay bucks that ends in a few hours, it'd be $20 in rewards. Plus free shipping.

That'd be in addition to Star Fox, Captain Toad, Mario Tennis, Toad remote, Yoshi remote from these clearances.

Mainly want Paper Mario, Kirby, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101 and Bowser remote to complete must haves. Maybe Tokyo Mirage Sessions, NES remix, Minecraft, and a few others at some point.
Yeah, I have Bayonetta 2, 101, and Pikmin 3 in my reserves, as I bought all 3 under $20 at some point. Captain Toad is a great title, and one of the best ones I've played on the Wii U so far, so your in for a treat with that one.

Just wanted to report back after ordering a refurbished black Wii U from Nintendo Ebay (to save on shipping) as well as a refurbished white system from the Nintendo store.  Both units are packaged well and in pristine condition!  The console, gamepad, cables, etc. were all in immaculate condition.  The systems looked brand new.  I couldn't find any evidence that they had been previously used.  The Nintendo Land game case that came with the white system had already been opened but the game disc looks new.  On the other hand, the game that came with the black system was brand new and sealed.  I intend to hack the white one while the black will serve as a backup for my son's current black system that came as part of the MK8 bundle.  It's my first time buying anything refurbed directly from Nintendo.  And just like most of the positive reviews, I recommend it!  If you're on the fence and don't want to pay the crazy prices for a new system on the secondary market, I suggest you jump in while these systems are still in stock at Nintendo.  Also, I have several copies of Nintendo Land that I no longer need.  PM me if interested.

bread's done
Back