Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Deader2818']Honestly, you shouldnt be buying a nintendo system for third party games at this point.[/QUOTE]

the problem is nintendo is trying it's hardest to make people buy their system for 3rd party support but it has failed again.

Nintendo wanted to try to get better third party support which was a problem for the Wii later on. But really, anyone buying a Wii U should be doing so for their first party games. If they get 3rd party games that is just a bonus.

[quote name='Corvin']Bingo! Mario is the franchise. No need for the NFL license*. My ultimate point was Madden manages to push 5m games in the US alone. That's a staggering number without worldwide figures. Looks like Strikers & Sluggers did a couple mil each. No reason to think a Mario Football title couldn't do the same.

Ignoring the 5 million anual Madden buyers, how many gamers have been turned off football games since they became hyper-realistic the past gen or so? :wave: I, for one, miss the days when football games were fun first and realistic second. Fun went out the window years ago in favor of realism.

*that being said, imagine a game that mixed the two with real players and Nintendo characters. That would be some mix. Are former/"legends" NFL players still bound by current NFL licensing rules? i.e. Montana to Luigi for the Touchdown![/QUOTE]
There are probably some, but things like the hyped Tecmo Bowl remake never really made any waves for that market. I'm not sure that's a big enough crowd to spend a ton of money on. They'd be better off going after the sort of football fans that enjoy watching it but don't know the in-and-outs of the sport, which is the crowd that the Madden team cannot figure out.

Nintendo would have to sign individual deals with every single former player to get them in the game, as that's how 2K did it for their game. I don't see that working unless you make the legends into cartoony versions of themselves to fit the Mario art style.

[quote name='webkatt']does the wiiU upscale wii games? or am i better off playing my games through dolphin[/QUOTE]

No, it does not.

[quote name='Corvin']Ignoring the 5 million anual Madden buyers, how many gamers have been turned off football games since they became hyper-realistic the past gen or so? :wave: I, for one, miss the days when football games were fun first and realistic second. Fun went out the window years ago in favor of realism.[/QUOTE]
+1, as the last football game I've ever played and enjoyed was Blitz, not to mention Tecmo Super Bowl, Joe Montana series, and even Mutant League Football in the past. I'd play Mario + any sport, as I've always enjoyed more arcade-like sports games. Of course, there is a distinct difference between "would play" and actually buying, so I guess that is another thing to consider with my demographic.

Sorry to continue the football derailment, but I'm sure there will be more news to cover this up soon enough.

[quote name='KingBroly']DLC for Injustice is coming to Wii U this summer: https://twitter.com/InjusticeGame/status/332210873873600512

"We expect DLC for the Wii U version of Injustice: Gods Among Us to be available this summer. Stay tuned for more details."[/QUOTE]

Very happy to hear that... I was holding off on opening my copy, but this should push me to finally do it. I really wonder what the hold up was, though, since it's not like the Wii U can't do DLC. Then again, Ubisoft has yet to give the Wii U that George Washington expansion, right?

I'm sure the answer will be some variation of 'lol Nintendo online', but still.

I'm hopeful, too, that whatever they have planned for the Wii U DLC will also include all of the costumes from the iOS app and whatnot, since there's no connection there.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']assassins creed 3 had DLC[/QUOTE]

Whoops. That's my fault.

I had seen the smaller packs a while back, but for some reason was under the impression that the Washington stuff never made it to Wii U. I see now that it was late, but it did arrive.

... which, uh, hooray, I guess. I can't feel much joy for more AC3.

The funny thing is that madden has become less realistic this generation than last generation. The games on PS2 were far more realistic (not to mention more fun) than the ones on PS3 and 360.

There's a whole community out there (on forums and youtube videos) that has been itching for a true football sim since EA bought out the NFL exclusivity. Ever since EA monopolized the genre they annually regurgitated a poor product and slowly removed fundamental features of the game, which is why you see the game get horrible user ratings year after year.

I couldn't care less that Madden won't be on the Wii U and won't even think about picking up a "sim" football game on any console until 2K releases one.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']that game was just terrible. I read the DLC wasn't much better.[/QUOTE]

Probably not. There are 3 Wii U games that have DLC I believe.
- Assassin's Creed 3
- Fist of the North Star: Ken's Fury
- Zen Pinball 2

NG3:RE has "DLC" in the sense of game updates, but not through the eShop.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']that game was just terrible. I read the DLC wasn't much better.[/QUOTE]

ac3 was pretty good game by far the best since ac2 and the dlc with evil george wash was amazing i say was better then ac3 game it self.

[quote name='antlp89']The funny thing is that madden has become less realistic this generation than last generation. The games on PS2 were far more realistic (not to mention more fun) than the ones on PS3 and 360.

There's a whole community out there (on forums and youtube videos) that has been itching for a true football sim since EA bought out the NFL exclusivity. Ever since EA monopolized the genre they annually regurgitated a poor product and slowly removed fundamental features of the game, which is why you see the game get horrible user ratings year after year.

I couldn't care less that Madden won't be on the Wii U and won't even think about picking up a "sim" football game on any console until 2K releases one.[/QUOTE]

madden 13 was the best madden gameplay wise since madden 2008. i loved connected careers also and love that they are keeping it in the game.
2k attempt at a football game this gen was all star football 2k8 it was a pretty awful game worst then any madden on current gen.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Screw football. Gimme a new NBA Street with a more substantial Mario influence (like how V3 had Mario characters on Gamecube) :D[/QUOTE]

im not sure if i want ea to make a basketball game lol thye tried to make nba live 13 and the testers that played it said it was worst bb game they have every played and ea put it on shelf and idoudt we will see nba live 14

[quote name='KingBroly']Probably not. There are 3 Wii U games that have DLC I believe.
- Assassin's Creed 3
- Fist of the North Star: Ken's Fury
- Zen Pinball 2

NG3:RE has "DLC" in the sense of game updates, but not through the eShop.[/QUOTE]

Warriors Orochi 3 has DLC as well. Maybe Tank Tank Tank counts as well now?

AC3 and Injustice DLC was/is likely late because they left the Wii U version to be worked on after the other versions were finished. Which makes sense because it's the lowest selling version and they likely want to capitalize on faster DLC timing for the other versions.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']madden 13 was the best madden gameplay wise since madden 2008. i loved connected careers also and love that they are keeping it in the game.
2k attempt at a football game this gen was all star football 2k8 it was a pretty awful game worst then any madden on current gen.[/QUOTE]

No way. All-Pro 2K8 was much more enjoyable than the 360 versions of Madden 06 & 07.

Madden this generation, from the games I've played, has had consistently terrible franchise and career modes, outside of the career mode that was in Madden 07 on the Wii. That's the thing that usually causes me to rent or trade it in earlier than I do other sports games, which they really need to fix since it's been the same stupid thing for years now. Ironically, the NCAA Football team does the franchise mode right and career mode was great at first, but they haven't evolved in enough to compete with the competition out there.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']madden 13 was the best madden gameplay wise since madden 2008. i loved connected careers also and love that they are keeping it in the game.
2k attempt at a football game this gen was all star football 2k8 it was a pretty awful game worst then any madden on current gen.[/QUOTE]

True, but that's because it's basically an upscaled version of NFL 2k5 without the NFL license.

I still wish they would have pulled a Blood Dragon and said "fuck it, we'll take our gameplay system and make bizarro football" like a Mutant League reboot or something. Yes I know that's an EA franchise but still.

The problem with the Mario sports games is that almost all of them have Nintendo's famous rubber band AI which makes the games nearly unplayable for me at least.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Madden this generation, from the games I've played, has had consistently terrible franchise and career modes, outside of the career mode that was in Madden 07 on the Wii. That's the thing that usually causes me to rent or trade it in earlier than I do other sports games, which they really need to fix since it's been the same stupid thing for years now. Ironically, the NCAA Football team does the franchise mode right and career mode was great at first, but they haven't evolved in enough to compete with the competition out there.[/QUOTE]

ncaa 13 was pretty good with coach moves and recurting was the best it's ever been. ncaa pretty much has everything you would want in a college football game. just like fps games football is football not much to change. might i ask what maddens you have played and what system. i know madden wii's editions had alot of the stuff on other systems cut out and wii u madden 13 did not include real time physics

[quote name='MetalSlugger']True, but that's because it's basically an upscaled version of NFL 2k5 without the NFL license.

I still wish they would have pulled a Blood Dragon and said "fuck it, we'll take our gameplay system and make bizarro football" like a Mutant League reboot or something. Yes I know that's an EA franchise but still.[/QUOTE]

that's why i did not enjoy that 2k game it was like meh i have played this game before in 2k5.

[quote name='SaraAB']The problem with the Mario sports games is that almost all of them have Nintendo's famous rubber band AI which makes the games nearly unplayable for me at least.[/QUOTE]

unless nintendo comes up with complete 360 for mario the franchise is dead for me. how many new super mario bros do we need heck now they even game luigi his own mario bros dlc.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']unless nintendo comes up with complete 360 for mario the franchise is dead for me. how many new super mario bros do we need heck now they even game luigi his own mario bros dlc.[/QUOTE]

you want it to spin around in a circle and head off in the same direction as before?

They only make 1 NSMB game per system, and considering both are out now, we won't see any new retail titles for it in a long time. DLC on the other hand...maybe we'll get a Peach DLC pack (I'd love that, tbh).

I'm interested in what the next 3D Mario will bring, so I hope it's not just another Galaxy game.

[quote name='KingBroly']They only make 1 NSMB game per system, and considering both are out now, we won't see any new retail titles for it in a long time. DLC on the other hand...maybe we'll get a Peach DLC pack (I'd love that, tbh).

I'm interested in what the next 3D Mario will bring, so I hope it's not just another Galaxy game.[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%. Peach DLC would be awesome (she floated in SMB 2 so bring that to Wii-U)

As far as Mario 3D is concerned, I hope they return to the 64/sunshine model where it is more open world like. The levels in galaxy felt a little too linear for my liking, even though I loved the game anyway:D

The only Nintendo game I actually like is pokemon, I really don't like Mario games, they are too difficult and have rubber band AI, Pokemon has it too, but to a lesser extent. Nintendo needs to completely revamp the way they make games because almost all their games are plagued by rubber band AI which makes them impossible to play. Galaxy was good though, I only played so much of it but I liked what I played, don't know if that one has the infamous rubber band AI or not.

[quote name='Deader2818']what is rubber band AI?[/QUOTE]

Basically no matter how skilled you are the AI in competitive Nintendo games keeps it close. See Mario Kart.

[quote name='Deader2818']You really aren't going to try the new 3d mario game?[/QUOTE]

i doudt it unless the new ps4 and xbox have a downtime in new games.

[quote name='SaraAB']The only Nintendo game I actually like is pokemon, I really don't like Mario games, they are too difficult and have rubber band AI, Pokemon has it too, but to a lesser extent. Nintendo needs to completely revamp the way they make games because almost all their games are plagued by rubber band AI which makes them impossible to play. Galaxy was good though, I only played so much of it but I liked what I played, don't know if that one has the infamous rubber band AI or not.[/QUOTE]

no offense but how is mario too difficult? my 7 year old son was able to beat mario wii u.

[quote name='Deader2818']If people don't like Nintendo games, maybe they shouldnt get a wii u?[/QUOTE]

you would think that would be the case. When it came to the wii people got it for the heck of it because it was a big thing and motion controlles i know people that never played a nintendo game in their life and got a wii for the reason i just said which is what nintendo wanted and marketed it that way. the way nintendo marketed the wii u at the start was well gee look at the great 3rd party support we will have for this system you should buy a wii u instead of keep playing your 6-7 year old tech in ps3 and xbox 360. i love nintendo but the wii u marketing since the start has been god awful and now even sending messages to wii's showing that they know they messed up big time with wii u andnow have to try to get the non nintendo fans that got a wii for the heck of it because the reason stated above to buy wii u's seeing most of them think wii u is just a 350 wii add on.

[quote name='Josh5890']Agreed 100%. Peach DLC would be awesome (she floated in SMB 2 so bring that to Wii-U)

As far as Mario 3D is concerned, I hope they return to the 64/sunshine model where it is more open world like. The levels in galaxy felt a little too linear for my liking, even though I loved the game anyway:D[/QUOTE]

Preach it! I love Galaxy 1, 2, and 3D Land. They are fantastic titles. But nothing is quite like the open world exploration of 64/Sunshine/Banjo/DK64 style platformer.

Don't need to go DK64 level of collectathon, just make it more exploration/discovery heavy.

[quote name='Erad30']Basically no matter how skilled you are the AI in competitive Nintendo games keeps it close. See Mario Kart.[/QUOTE]
Which is why I love Mario Kart for Multiplayer but can't play Singleplayer without wanting to throw (insert device here) because of how bullshit the AI is :lol:.

Wow, so another week of terrible VC releases (Xevious and Solomon's Key). I'd like to be shocked and outraged, but it just doesn't seem worth it. I like to just look at it like Nintendo saving me money.

Also, there's a Resident Evil: Revelations demo on 5/14. I'll totally cop to being really excited about it, too, even though I've already sunk 50+ hours into the 3DS version. Dat Raid Mode. I genuinely love that fucking game.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. No, no, no.

They cannot trickle these VC games out like this again! I understand there is some back end work to be done to make them work on the WiiU but there are far too many games to have to wait weeks and months for some games to come out.

I am not a fan of open world games were a good portion of play is wandering around trying to figure out where to go next. That's not fun. This is probably due to the fact that I am a terrible - TERRIBLE - navigator. If there's a "GPS" I'm good, though. LOL.

I'd be more concerned about the lack of original digital games instead of hemming and hawing over when I can rebuy a bunch of SNES games for the tenth time...just sayin'.

I mean really, if you liked the game that much wouldn't you already own the original cart/system? Rare/import games excluded of course.

[quote name='007']Wow, so another week of terrible VC releases (Xevious and Solomon's Key). I'd like to be shocked and outraged, but it just doesn't seem worth it. I like to just look at it like Nintendo saving me money.

Also, there's a Resident Evil: Revelations demo on 5/14. I'll totally cop to being really excited about it, too, even though I've already sunk 50+ hours into the 3DS version. Dat Raid Mode. I genuinely love that fucking game.[/QUOTE]

VC is not great this week, but next week is Super Metroid for 30 cents, plus Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Ghouls N Ghosts. Not too shabby, IMO.

Wow. I wasn't expecting this, but Nintendo is apparently refunding the 150 Club Nintendo coins I spent on Super Metroid when they offered it as a reward because I also have a Wii U and will be able to get on the eShop for $0.30 next week. So I basically got the game for free to play until the sale starts and can use the coins I got back to get Super Mario RPG.

The Wii U Street View update is pretty good. Now you can link to different spots, save favorite places and view other people's favorites.

bread's done
Back