Wii U - General Discussion Thread

If anything pirating will be a detriment to the Wii U because Nintendo will have to focus some of its efforts on patching it out. Meaning less time for developing games, less resources, etc.

[quote name='antlp89']If anything pirating will be a detriment to the Wii U because Nintendo will have to focus some of its efforts on patching it out. Meaning less time for developing games, less resources, etc.[/QUOTE]

It'll mean less features past the initial feature set, but it won't be a detriment to game development.

Well, great - the updated "failed" for me on the installation portion (after taking forever to download). I had to turn it off and back on and now it seems to be trying again. Hope they didn't brick my system!

OK, well it worked the second time. Strange that it would fail at all though - makes me nervous. It wasn't a connection issue as I have it on wired Ethernet.

So Super Mario World is showing as on sale for $1.50. Is that because I might have had it on the Wii? I don't even remember if I had that or not but for whatever reason I thought the "upgrade" promo wasn't starting till much later so I was surprised to see that. Or is it just a random sale?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nbballard']^Yes- 1.50 is the upgrade price.[/QUOTE]

So... Doesn't this point to some sort of account-linked storage of previous purchases? I thought Nintendo didn't do that. Or is it somehow looking on the Wii portion of my Wii U and seeing it there? I had thought they were separate and inaccessible from each other. In any case, now matter how they are doing it, I'm somewhat surprised it actually works ;).

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's only shows up for people that have transferred their Wii stuff to their Wii U.[/QUOTE]

Right, but the question is, if I buy something on the Wii (that is part of my Wii U now) will that be available for upgrade, or is it only the stuff you had at the time you did the Wii -> Wii U transfer? I have 1000 points sitting on my old Wii Shop account and several points cards in a drawer somewhere. I'd like to buy other Wii VC stuff and then upgrade it if/when it becomes available.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It should work just fine. I believe the only thing you won't get is Club Nintendo points for things bought on the Wii Shop.[/QUOTE]

I'm not convinced but it will take some more (upgradeable) content in the Wii U VC shop for me to be able to test it out. The only thing I'd even remotely want on there is SMW and that was, apparently, part of my old Wii VC purchases (though I don't think I ever played it ;)).

[quote name='io']I'm not convinced but it will take some more (upgradeable) content in the Wii U VC shop for me to be able to test it out. The only thing I'd even remotely want on there is SMW and that was, apparently, part of my old Wii VC purchases (though I don't think I ever played it ;)).[/QUOTE]
If you only have 1000 Wii points left I would get La-Mulana. Finally got around to downloading it last week, and what little I've played so far is very addicting in an old school way.

Plus you don't have to worry about the upgrading. If you already have La-Mulana then get Retro City Rampage (which I may get myself soon).

Isn't that normal dumb business logic? We're in this to make money, not spend money, forget false economy, let's buy the cheapest thing, etc etc

Just saw that Game and Wario is launching at 39.99 instead of 59.99, pretty cool since that's one of the games I was looking forward to buying and now I'll be able to get it from Best Buy using Reward Certificates for $35 of that

[quote name='renique46']http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04...-system-power?abthid=518068f1fe15f7826d000028

"Well, when you have a gazillion dollars, the LAST thing you should do is spend it on stupid things like employees.

/Iwata logic."[/QUOTE]

Since shortly after the Wii U's release, I noticed the parallels in the company when compared with the Wii's launch as micro-metaphors for effective and ineffective growth strategies during economic downtimes. This article really underscores that. Woah.

[quote name='renique46']http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04...-system-power?abthid=518068f1fe15f7826d000028

"Well, when you have a gazillion dollars, the LAST thing you should do is spend it on stupid things like employees.

/Iwata logic."[/QUOTE]

So basically he's saying that Nintendo's 5,000 employees isn't enough to complete these HD games on time? (yes, that's all they have for hardware, software, testing, PR, budget dept, accounting, HR, corporate and other overhead staff, etc) Then he says they have a high break even cost. Why the hell is this a surprise to Nintendo AT ALL? Developers have been talking about the high cost of the current gen games for YEARS now. I realize Nintendo had an SD console but surely they could have payed attention to the rest of the industry. This shouldn't be a surprise to them. This is why you get so many iterations of the same game this generation.

It's like Nintendo was living in a bubble. They should have come out of the gates prepared for this since it's been going on for 7 or 8 years for the rest of the industry.

[quote name='Blaster man']So basically he's saying that Nintendo's 5,000 employees isn't enough to complete these HD games on time? (yes, that's all they have for hardware, software, testing, PR, budget dept, accounting, HR, corporate and other overhead staff, etc) Then he says they have a high break even cost. Why the hell is this a surprise to Nintendo AT ALL? Developers have been talking about the high cost of the current gen games for YEARS now. I realize Nintendo had an SD console but surely they could have payed attention to the rest of the industry. This shouldn't be a surprise to them. This is why you get so many iterations of the same game this generation.

It's like Nintendo was living in a bubble. They should have come out of the gates prepared for this since it's been going on for 7 or 8 years for the rest of the industry.[/QUOTE]

He is saying that combined with the usual Nintendo adage that they dont ship until they are satisfied. But this behavior is not that new for Nintendo.

However the devs are working on things: http://67.227.255.239/forum/showthread.php?t=540288

Seems to be that the real issue is that Nintendo didnt have a Wii Sports and Zelda ready at launch and it was happenstance that Zelda was a Wii launch title.

I know Nintendoland is supposed to serve in for Wii Sports as gateway software to the Wii U, but it doesnt work as well as Wii Sports did. I wonder how well Wii Sports U would do.

[quote name='foltzie']He is saying that combined with the usual Nintendo adage that they dont ship until they are satisfied. But this behavior is not that new for Nintendo.

However the devs are working on things: http://67.227.255.239/forum/showthread.php?t=540288

Seems to be that the real issue is that Nintendo didnt have a Wii Sports and Zelda ready at launch and it was happenstance that Zelda was a Wii launch title.

I know Nintendoland is supposed to serve in for Wii Sports as gateway software to the Wii U, but it doesnt work as well as Wii Sports did. I wonder how well Wii Sports U would do.[/QUOTE]

Uh....that's not what he said at all. He said they had to pull staff from other games to finish up NSMB in time for the launch. That's caused delays in the other games. He then claims there's no bottleneck when it's obvious they need to hire more developers and staffing is the bottleneck. How can he not see that?

[quote name='Blaster man']Uh....that's not what he said at all. He said they had to pull staff from other games to finish up NSMB in time for the launch. That's caused delays in the other games. He then claims there's no bottleneck when it's obvious they need to hire more developers and staffing is the bottleneck. How can he not see that?[/QUOTE]

I was concurring with your post, but adding that Nintendo doesnt usually ship until they feel something is perfect. Another firm may well have shipped earlier.

Regarding hiring more, I would agree, but that costs money and expense management is one of the things the large companies have to really hold too in order to stay profitable. It may not be possible to hire resources and integrate them quickly (or at all) into the process. I would assume the Mythical Man Month applies to game development too.

Iwata said there was no single bottleneck. Sounds like there were many.

[quote name='foltzie']I was concurring with your post, but adding that Nintendo doesnt usually ship until they feel something is perfect. Another firm may well have shipped earlier.

Regarding hiring more, I would agree, but that costs money and expense management is one of the things the large companies have to really hold too in order to stay profitable. It may not be possible to hire resources and integrate them quickly (or at all) into the process. I would assume the Mythical Man Month applies to game development too.[/QUOTE]

It totally does, but when you're borrowing people from other projects, you just need more employees.

I got that yesterday despite having owned a Wii U since January. The top half of the email tells you about transferring your Wii content to the Wii U, which I did two days earlier.

[quote name='foltzie']I was concurring with your post, but adding that Nintendo doesnt usually ship until they feel something is perfect. Another firm may well have shipped earlier.

Regarding hiring more, I would agree, but that costs money and expense management is one of the things the large companies have to really hold too in order to stay profitable. It may not be possible to hire resources and integrate them quickly (or at all) into the process. I would assume the Mythical Man Month applies to game development too.[/QUOTE]

Well Nintendo has a lot of cash in the bank. They can afford to staff up. Yeah they lost money but they made a small profit this year (mostly due to exchange rates and accounting loopholes) but they've got what, 10 or 15 billion in the bank? That's plenty to hire staff and get this thing moving.

[quote name='crunchewy']That mini Wii in Canada does not have online capability - Nintendo didn't think it was important any more. I guess they should have sent this out before they starting shipping that little box. LOL.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't that have been a bit of a bummer and way more spamish to turn on your brand new Wii and the first thing you see is, "Hey go buy a Wii U too!".

[quote name='Blaster man']Wouldn't that have been a bit of a bummer and way more spamish to turn on your brand new Wii and the first thing you see is, "Hey go buy a Wii U too!".[/QUOTE]

Hilarious and awful at the same time. Instead of a message, the next Wii firmware update should DL a video that promotes the Wii U and place it on the first open channel spot.

[quote name='foltzie']Nintendo sending messages to Wiis announcing Wii U.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=551636

Probably should have done that in November of last year.[/QUOTE]

Is that why my Wii, which hasn't had a message in well over year, is glowing all of a sudden? :lol:

This would be the one I kept (and did not transfer). I'll have to turn it on just to get rid of the glow - it can be pretty distracting when we're trying to watch a movie or something. I'll just have to shut it down completely (which I think it was for a long time but I had it up a few months back to try to complete downloading Fluidity which would never download for me).

[quote name='io']Is that why my Wii, which hasn't had a message in well over year, is glowing all of a sudden? :lol:

This would be the one I kept (and did not transfer). I'll have to turn it on just to get rid of the glow - it can be pretty distracting when we're trying to watch a movie or something. I'll just have to shut it down completely (which I think it was for a long time but I had it up a few months back to try to complete downloading Fluidity which would never download for me).[/QUOTE]
You can turn off the slot illumination in the Wii options menu, under WiiConnect24 menu option, one of the first things I did when I got my Wii.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']You can turn off the slot illumination in the Wii options menu, under WiiConnect24 menu option, one of the first things I did when I got my Wii.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was pretty cool the first few years I had the Wii. Then I just hadn't gotten any messages in a long time and had sort of forgotten it even did that. I might as well keep it on - won't happen all that often going forward I would imagine.

[quote name='MetalSlugger']Ruh roh

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/05/02/madden-nfl-25-skipping-wii-u.aspx[/QUOTE]

Chicken Egg problem. Nintendo is going to have to bring something BIG, not just reach parity to overcome the momentum of the existing platforms.

I dont know that losing Madden is the end of the world for the Wii U (no one bought it last year), but sports fans spend cash, and that is just money left on the table.

Maybe it will be like the Dreamcast, Nintendo will say screw EA and make their own far superior football game :) Yeah the Dreamcast died but that was mostly due to Sega already being in a huge financial hole, Nintendo's in a much better place.

I fully understand why it's a big deal, but it's also not shocking. I mean, last year's Wii U Madden was a months-old game that wasn't even the 'new' upgraded version of the engine. I get the ramifications of this move, but if EA isn't even going to try, then fuck it.

Then again, it might be a different story if the Wii U had taken off, but we'll never know. In the grand scheme of things, it's no big loss for Wii U owners. Just more fuel for the Nintendo vs. EA fire.

I think it's also important to remember that EA is in deep trouble right now. Nothing is really selling for them like they hoped and they have a terrible public image atm.

[quote name='Erad30']I think it's also important to remember that EA is in deep trouble right now. Nothing is really selling for them like they hoped and they have a terrible public image atm.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. From a business perspective, if they're really trying to but back and save money... well, a game on a platform that just isn't going to perform, sales-wise, is probably a good thing to axe.

Honestly, this says as much about EA as it does about Nintendo.

[quote name='io']I thought it was pretty cool the first few years I had the Wii. Then I just hadn't gotten any messages in a long time and had sort of forgotten it even did that. I might as well keep it on - won't happen all that often going forward I would imagine.[/QUOTE]
I thought it was neat when I first saw it on my friend's Wii, but knew I would get annoyed by it myself. But you're right, probably will be the last time we'll see the slot glow anyways.

[quote name='007']Exactly. From a business perspective, if they're really trying to but back and save money... well, a game on a platform that just isn't going to perform, sales-wise, is probably a good thing to axe.

Honestly, this says as much about EA as it does about Nintendo.[/QUOTE]
I remember Madden 08 being one of the last games on the Cube (well into when the Wii was in full force), not sure how well that one sold. It was a different market at the time, they could afford the potential losses.

Maybe EA will pull it again this gen and release this year's Madden on the Wii? I only read reports that no Wii U version was coming (though I'm certain the Wii version getting the axe was implied). I'm sure in either case they would just reskin the rosters (again), which I doubt costs much in development...

I turned that glowy business off a long time ago. My girlfriend would always say "your wii is glowing" like the monolith demanded my attention. Now proceed with the jokes

If you want some more free stuff, Tank! Tank! Tank! is on the eShop now in a free-to-play format, though I don't know exactly what they cut out for this version. It's sort of hidden though since it's not on the front page, so you have to go down to where they have categories listed and click on the Recent Releases banner.

[quote name='Erad30']Maybe it will be like the Dreamcast, Nintendo will say screw EA and make their own far superior football game :) Yeah the Dreamcast died but that was mostly due to Sega already being in a huge financial hole, Nintendo's in a much better place.[/QUOTE]

That said, I'm shocked they haven't whored Mario into a football game yet.

[quote name='sp00ge']That said, I'm shocked they haven't whored Mario into a football game yet.[/QUOTE]
I think it's because American football has a very limited appeal around the entire world compared to baseball, golf, tennis, soccer, and even basketball.

[quote name='MetalSlugger']Ruh roh

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/05/02/madden-nfl-25-skipping-wii-u.aspx[/QUOTE]
What is surprising is that the exclusivity contract they have with the NFL allows them to do this (assuming it does). Obviously by being exclusive, it means that nobody else can make an NFL game on the Wii U either. Not having a game on the Wii U only hurts the NFL and the NFLPA, whereas EA gets to save money on development. What the NFL should have negotiated is the requirement that EA continuously publishes their NFL game for all platforms.
The NFL and NFLPA are actually getting screwed big time by the exclusivity agreement.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I think it's because American football has a very limited appeal around the entire world compared to baseball, golf, tennis, soccer, and even basketball.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. The fact that it wasn't even included in Mario Sports Mix should be a pretty decent indication of how little interest Nintendo has in making it. Seemed like a perfect fit... a place to throw the sports you can't, or don't want to, pass off as a full retail game. It's really the last 'big' sport that Mario hasn't participated in.

Nintendo has always been a very Japanese focused company, so I'd be pretty shocked to see an American football Mario game. The market just isn't there. I mean, I'd like to see it happen, sure... but I'm not holding my breath.

Just a heads up, TANK TANK TANK is now a free to play download game on the North American e-shop (like it was in Europe months ago) with paid DLC for various things. What's important here is that with this free download, you are eligible for 70 Coins from Club Nintendo after you complete the Post Play Survey. Pretty sweet.

As a warning, you can only play it three times a day and single-player is not available without paying for it. Despite taking a profile picture, it also constantly wants you to take pictures of yourself.

bread's done
Back