World of Warcraft - Wrath of the Discussion Thread

Seems at least 80,000 droolers summoned mommy to buy them a virtual horse in the first four hours that thing was available. Just goes to show that Blizzard would be smart to transition to a micro-payment model over sub, now that their playerbase has stagnated at ~12 mil.

[quote name='Jodou']Seems at least 80,000 droolers summoned mommy to buy them a virtual horse in the first four hours that thing was available. Just goes to show that Blizzard would be smart to transition to a micro-payment model over sub, now that their playerbase has stagnated at ~12 mil.[/QUOTE]

They obviously are doing something very right with their current model, I doubt they'd shake it up much. I'm sure if they make it so that if you pay money you get in combat benefits, tons of people will stop playing who don't want to pay for Tier XX armor.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']They obviously are doing something very right with their current model, I doubt they'd shake it up much. I'm sure if they make it so that if you pay money you get in combat benefits, tons of people will stop playing who don't want to pay for Tier XX armor.[/QUOTE]
I doubt they'd be dumb enough to add anything that changes gameplay over stupid shit like mounts.

[quote name='georox']Yea, it's *every* character on your account, and it scales with riding skill, and if you earn a 310% mount, that goes 310%. It's pretty nice, never have to buy mounts again. =P[/QUOTE]
This is the only upside I really see: it saves 161g per character (assuming one would buy a mount at every riding level). Thus, it's technically better than a vanity pet.

[quote name='Jodou']I doubt they'd be dumb enough to add anything that changes gameplay over stupid shit like mounts.[/QUOTE]

Only thing dumb would be people who think it would be a smart idea for Blizzard to switch from subscription to micro-transactions. Now that's some stupid shit!

Wow, alot of hate for a sparkly pony that doesn't affect others gameplay in any way. The QQing on my server's trade chat was epic ("We wanted to grind Alganon over and over again to get it! Now EVERYONE has a sparkly horse!")

I logged in last night and my ENTIRE guild was lined up with star horsies. And someone bought that new noncombat vanity pet with the annoying sound effects ("I DONT THINK IT BENDS THAT WAY"). Then I LOLed when I saw the server's hardcore raiders had bought the new ponies too (these people have all the cool mounts through gameplay and they went out and bought one too? ). It seems like alot of people paid for them on my server.

[quote name='Guerrilla']This is the only upside I really see: it saves 161g per character (assuming one would buy a mount at every riding level). Thus, it's technically better than a vanity pet.[/QUOTE]

OH, it's not about the gold to me, it's about the laziness factor. I don't want to bother finding a mount vendor, I just want to pay NPC 1 riding skill and move.

WoW is an evil thing, it's name should be banished from the human vernacular. :nottalking:
Causing kids to stick remotes up their :booty:, TSK TSK.

[quote name='TheCapn010']WoW is an evil thing, it's name should be banished from the human vernacular. :nottalking:
Causing kids to stick remotes up their :booty:, TSK TSK.[/QUOTE]

Only if they abolish Facebook, MySpace, the Nintendo Wii, every free to play Korean MMO, and all of that Twilight shit.

[quote name='georox']Only if they abolish Facebook, MySpace, the Nintendo Wii, every free to play Korean MMO, and all of that Twilight shit.[/QUOTE]
I approve of this.

[quote name='kilm']Only thing dumb would be people who think it would be a smart idea for Blizzard to switch from subscription to micro-transactions. Now that's some stupid shit![/QUOTE]
What would be truly dumb would be for Blizz to ignore 140K in immediate sales of a $25 starry mount.

Who says they have to abandon the subscription? Micro-transactions could supplement that. They're not going to sell off purples, but they certainly could sell off armor/weapons to accelerate the journey to level cap. Heirlooms are an obvious target. Big bags. Trinkets to provide more hearths, extra gem slots, whatever the hell else.

They can monetize all of this without harming the endgame and pissing off the hardcore raiders. It'll work out, because it'll just give the hardcore another badge of honor: getting to level cap/endgame without microtransactions.

[quote name='dothog']What would be truly dumb would be for Blizz to ignore 140K in immediate sales of a $25 starry mount.

Who says they have to abandon the subscription? Micro-transactions could supplement that. They're not going to sell off purples, but they certainly could sell off armor/weapons to accelerate the journey to level cap. Heirlooms are an obvious target. Big bags. Trinkets to provide more hearths, extra gem slots, whatever the hell else.

They can monetize all of this without harming the endgame and pissing off the hardcore raiders. It'll work out, because it'll just give the hardcore another badge of honor: getting to level cap/endgame without microtransactions.[/QUOTE]

Extra gem slots would piss off raiders, and heirloom items have the possibility to as well. Bags would fuck over tailors, so that's a no. The things they should focus on selling are the items they used in the TCG/items like that, aka pets, mounts, cosmetic items. Anything that actually affects gameplay should be left alone, but trinkets that shoot fireworks, chairs you can have out for a few minutes at a time, etc. all work well.

Oh, and I don't see why everyone worries about hardcore people/raiders/etc. as they are in the minority on the game, they just happen to have the largest mouth and bitch the most. None of them will leave, look how many times everyone threatens to quit to begin with.

The new expansion is doing a lot that will have more people rolling new characters...the entire "old world" is getting revamped, killing many of the annoying leveling quests...there's new race/class combinations...and new races altogether. Hell, you could argue that Cataclysm is doing more for the levellers than it is for the raiders. So, I don't see it happening where Blizz decides to make pay-for content that'll give levellers an edge.

Not to mention the vitriol it would draw from twinks.

Ever since in-game rewards for the TCG were announced, Blizz said the only in-game rewards would be fun, non-game affecting stuff. Such sentiments were repeated when Achievements with rewards were announced. They've done nothing to betray that as far as I'm concerned. No mount or pet or anything they've put out affects my gameplay negatively (unless I get jealous). If they do put out something that does, then they'll draw some ire, but that's a bridge I'll cross when they actually make it.

As for the horse in particular...if people want it, and are willing to pay for it, I don't really see the problem. You may argue it's too expensive, but if someone wants to pay $25 for a horse made of stars, why not let them? I'm not penalized for not buying it, the money's not coming from my pocket, and my game is left unchanged.

[quote name='Salamando3000']...if people want it, and are willing to pay for it, I don't really see the problem.[/QUOTE]
I agree completely, and I'd say the same if they offered up more mounts, gear, items for cash. What's the problem?

Everyone can walk all over arbitrary possibilities (e.g. fucks over tailors, extra gem slots might piss off hardcore, etc.) the same way others denied that server transfers and race/class/faction realignment was possible. If there's money in it and it doesn't create a huge imbalance, it's open for business.

The Cataclysm changes, to me, suggest that Blizz could possibly further open pre-level cap toons, casuals, and collectors to microtransactions. They're going in that direction, and I don't understand why this line is drawn, when similar lines have been breached in the past. I honestly don't think it would take anything away from the game to monetize certain kinds of gear the same way they've done the mounts. If somebody wants to pay for that, let them.

People are calling the mounts and pets for $$ a "slippery slope," but I think it's a naive perspective. Blizz/ATVI know what they're doing here. They've seen the response. I'm sure they realize that if they offer up gear that shaves time off the trivial, early going material in a manner similar to heirlooms, people will buy that up enough to warrant putting it out there. There's a lot of in-game conveniences for early toons that Blizz can provide through microtransactions.

Again, I'm not saying it's going to happen, but the response to that mount makes it much more likely in my mind. I wouldn't have predicted 140K people would want to pay $25 for a mount that saves them a couple hundred -- for even the most pronounced case of altitis a thousand or so -- gold across their toons. I'd call that response overwhelming. It clearly indicates a market for microtransactions, and again, just because Blizz might've drawn some line doesn't mean they'll abide it, hundreds of millions of easy cash be damned.

[quote name='dothog']I agree completely, and I'd say the same if they offered up more mounts, gear, items for cash. What's the problem?

Everyone can walk all over arbitrary possibilities (e.g. fucks over tailors, extra gem slots might piss off hardcore, etc.) the same way others denied that server transfers and race/class/faction realignment was possible. If there's money in it and it doesn't create a huge imbalance, it's open for business.

The Cataclysm changes, to me, suggest that Blizz could possibly further open pre-level cap toons, casuals, and collectors to microtransactions. They're going in that direction, and I don't understand why this line is drawn, when similar lines have been breached in the past. I honestly don't think it would take anything away from the game to monetize certain kinds of gear the same way they've done the mounts. If somebody wants to pay for that, let them.

People are calling the mounts and pets for $$ a "slippery slope," but I think it's a naive perspective. Blizz/ATVI know what they're doing here. They've seen the response. I'm sure they realize that if they offer up gear that shaves time off the trivial, early going material in a manner similar to heirlooms, people will buy that up enough to warrant putting it out there. There's a lot of in-game conveniences for early toons that Blizz can provide through microtransactions.

Again, I'm not saying it's going to happen, but the response to that mount makes it much more likely in my mind. I wouldn't have predicted 140K people would want to pay $25 for a mount that saves them a couple hundred -- for even the most pronounced case of altitis a thousand or so -- gold across their toons. I'd call that response overwhelming. It clearly indicates a market for microtransactions, and again, just because Blizz might've drawn some line doesn't mean they'll abide it, hundreds of millions of easy cash be damned.[/QUOTE]

I will never have a problem with 'cash shops' as long as they don't offer a significantly improved experience or provide an edge on other players. Now I'm glad that Blizzard are one of the few developers I can trust not to go sour but Activision definitely seems to be a presence there now, despite them saying the buyout was only in name.

Oh, and honestly, anything paid to help leveling is BAD. Leveling = time, time = monthly fees collected. The last thing they want is people doing content faster.

Oh, and people paid $1,000+ for spectral tigers, remember that. That my friends, is elitism in premium items. One in over a case of booster boxes isn't very fair by all means. $25 is nothing in comparison. Most people can come up with $25, if you are struggling over it, you probably shouldn't be playing WoW in the first place, let's be honest, the game takes a lot of time and it does cost money. Most of the complaints are from children who can't get their parents credit cards.

I will voice my one complaint though, I see it potentially (Note, potentially) cutting content out that they could have given players as rewards through things such as achievements, drops, reputations, events, etc. so that the pets and such can be sold instead. Now, if future patches/expansions start introducing fewer and fewer pets and mounts while more go on sale in the store, I'll begin to think Blizzard is up to something.

Saturday night, my server-

moneytrain.jpg

[quote name='georox']Oh, and honestly, anything paid to help leveling is BAD. Leveling = time, time = monthly fees collected. The last thing they want is people doing content faster.[/QUOTE]
Hyperbole much? I don't follow that at all. Even the slowest of slow bastards don't take more than 3 or 4 months to hit the cap. You could make an argument in the opposite direction, that for some gamers, the tedium of 1-70 forces them to quit because they aren't able to participate with capped or near-cap friends. This in turn leads to potential lifers quitting the game too early!!!

There's already a currency (shards, emblems, etc.) built into the game to accommodate convenience items like heirlooms. Gamers have accepted the shortcut the gear represents, because the currency and gear are viewed as being "earned." If something like Heirlooms were sold out of game for cash, so long as they weren't the same gear/item as those offered for the in-game currency, I don't see existing gamers having a problem with that.

The differences in gear would delineate the cash-based shortcut from the experience-based shortcut -- that seems to be the source of most of the ill-will over microtransactions, that gear bought with cash shouldn't be the same as that bought with game time. Just among the small groups of WoW casuals and raiders I know, I doubt that any of them care that some newb paid $25 in heirloom gear to get from 1-70 a little faster. So long as Blizz doesn't do the equivalent of selling Tier or other extremely rare, very powerful items, I doubt people would care.

[quote name='georox']I will voice my one complaint though, I see it potentially (Note, potentially) cutting content out that they could have given players as rewards through things such as achievements, drops, reputations, events, etc. so that the pets and such can be sold instead. Now, if future patches/expansions start introducing fewer and fewer pets and mounts while more go on sale in the store, I'll begin to think Blizzard is up to something.[/QUOTE]
This goes back to the idea that there is a finite amount of bullshit Blizzard can offer to customers, either through microtransactions or in-game reward systems. I don't get it. No content was harmed in selling access to items already in the game. It's not like Blizz required all staff to drop everything and meet in a conference room to get that damn sparkle pony out the door people because the future of this company rests on it!

Again, I'm not saying that Blizz will most definitely expand microtransactions, my response has mostly been to people who claim, "There is no way Blizz will move beyond pets and bullshit mounts." To me, knowing how Blizz is very good about responding to customer feedback, and how they've changed the structure of the game to do so (allowing transfers, race/faction changes, not to mention changes to in-game content), I doubt that they're just going to write this off as sparkle pony mania.

For Blizz to see a screen cap of sparkle ponies -- to see their customer base act on microtransactions in that way -- is probably a pretty bold statement to them. This is their customer , not ATVI, reaching out and saying, "If you offer us in-game conveniences for cash, we will buy that bullshit. We won't even roll our eyes when you tell us the items are 'limited' in supply." And I know there's many opinions about Blizz out there, but even under ATVI I think Blizz is very good about remaining open with their customer and responding to feedback.

In my opinion, it could be a cool thing to see implemented in the game. Given Blizz's creativity, their use of microtransactions could be extremely innovative for MMOs.

[quote name='dothog']Hyperbole much? I don't follow that at all. Even the slowest of slow bastards don't take more than 3 or 4 months to hit the cap. You could make an argument in the opposite direction, that for some gamers, the tedium of 1-70 forces them to quit because they aren't able to participate with capped or near-cap friends. This in turn leads to potential lifers quitting the game too early!!![/QUOTE]

Like I said, Cataclysm is completely redoing the old world. Much of the tedium that stemmed from crappy quests will be removed. That alone will do more to retain non-capped people than allowing purchasable gear would. New class combos and new races will lead to more people rerolling, which will in turn lead to more people levelling up. That'll solve the other problem people levelling up face - there's next to no one doing it right now.

If something like Heirlooms were sold out of game for cash, so long as they weren't the same gear/item as those offered for the in-game currency, I don't see existing gamers having a problem with that.
If the Heirlooms offered people that get them some kind of edge (as they almost must by definition), then of course people will have a problem with them. Everything in WoW is a competition between players, in at least some way. Someone should not be given an advantage over others because they spent $5. At least, if they start implemented microtransactions that did, their name would be soured in my eyes.

The thing with all their current microtransaction things (pets/mounts/race changes/faction changes) is that someone is only motivated to get one if they want it. A person that doesn't get one isn't inferior to one that does. Whereas with even heirloom gear, a person becomes motivated to get that so that they can compete with someone that does have it (or, if their friends have it, so that they can continue to run with them without being left behind).

If something like Heirlooms were sold out of game for cash, so long as they weren't the same gear/item as those offered for the in-game currency, I don't see existing gamers having a problem with that.

Uh, I'd have a pretty big problem with that. Heirlooms provide a huge advantage up until around the cap.

[quote name='LordKefka06']Fly-by view of what ORG & SW should look like in CC.

http://kotaku.com/5533126/take-a-fly+by-tour-of-world-of-warcraft-cataclysm[/QUOTE]

I'm with Hydro. Seemed like not much changed except for the appearance of some buildings. When they first announced Cataclysm, they made it seem like the whole world would drastically change with Deathwing's escape, but so far Durotar seems like it was in a safe zone or something. Which is strange since right next door the Barrens are supposed to become 2 separate zones with a volcano/river of lava separating them (IIRC).

So far, I've been getting most of my leaked info from MMO-Champion. They have a lot of screenshots of the various zones up, including world maps that show how the Cataclysm is affecting them.

Someone mentioned Durotar as being relatively unchanged, which is mostly true, but Echo Islands are now a Troll city and the Western coast is now a giant watershed. Some zones are significantly changed (Thousand Needles is now flooded) while some are barely changed at all (Feralas). The Plaguelands, now that Arthas is dead, are starting to show signs of life.

Really though, as long as there are no longer quests that send me half the way around the world, just to have a followup send me half the way around again, i'll be happy.

[quote name='Salamando3000']So far, I've been getting most of my leaked info from MMO-Champion. They have a lot of screenshots of the various zones up, including world maps that show how the Cataclysm is affecting them.

Someone mentioned Durotar as being relatively unchanged, which is mostly true, but Echo Islands are now a Troll city and the Western coast is now a giant watershed. Some zones are significantly changed (Thousand Needles is now flooded) while some are barely changed at all (Feralas). The Plaguelands, now that Arthas is dead, are starting to show signs of life.

Really though, as long as there are no longer quests that send me half the way around the world, just to have a followup send me half the way around again, i'll be happy.[/QUOTE]

Ah good. I was hoping for some drastic changes like that. Thousand Needles flooded? Sounds awesome! You couldn't by chance give us a link?

I'm looking for someone to do RaF with, looking to level 2-3 characters as quickly as possible. I have keys, and am in EST (U.S), PM me if you want to get some quick level 60s!! :)

I'm trying to get that 2 seated mount. If you are interested in playing WoW.. PM me.. I'll send you the link to the trial.. if you like it.. I'll pay for your WoW CD key :D

(just play for like 2 months, ok?) LOL

[quote name='lakesideflight']I'm looking for someone to do RaF with, looking to level 2-3 characters as quickly as possible. I have keys, and am in EST (U.S), PM me if you want to get some quick level 60s!! :)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='lilboo']I'm trying to get that 2 seated mount. If you are interested in playing WoW.. PM me.. I'll send you the link to the trial.. if you like it.. I'll pay for your WoW CD key :D

(just play for like 2 months, ok?) LOL[/QUOTE]

Either of you can get in touch with me or I can send ya'll a PM. I don't mind being the RAF "bitch" since I want to level a few Alts anyway (I just don't want to do the 1-60 grind again).

I already have an 80 Warrior knocking on the door of H LK25, but I need a refresh ASAP. Tired of pushing the same 3 buttons over and over.

I'm waiting for Cataclysm to drop before I abuse the RAF. Got a spare WoW code from Circuit City clearance. Plan on dualboxing a rogue and pally. Not the best combo, but they're the only classes I don't have high levels of.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Should probably preface this link with a "there may be spoilers" warning, in particular the models at the bottom of the page. http://www.mmo-champion.com/[/QUOTE]
Those screens look awesome. I quit a few weeks after Lich King came out but Cataclysm looks like the exact shake-up to the game world that could drag me back into it.

[quote name='xistence']Either of you can get in touch with me or I can send ya'll a PM. I don't mind being the RAF "bitch" since I want to level a few Alts anyway (I just don't want to do the 1-60 grind again).

I already have an 80 Warrior knocking on the door of H LK25, but I need a refresh ASAP. Tired of pushing the same 3 buttons over and over.[/QUOTE]

I'll be honest, leveling 1-60 is fucking easy now. You get massive xp+loot doing the random dungeons from the LFG tool, waiting 15 minutes max per run, and then you get rest/upped quest xp/etc. it's just.. nothing.

[quote name='georox']I'll be honest, leveling 1-60 is fucking easy now. You get massive xp+loot doing the random dungeons from the LFG tool, waiting 15 minutes max per run, and then you get rest/upped quest xp/etc. it's just.. nothing.[/QUOTE]

I'll be honest too...I'm just really lazy and sick of the leveling grind :D

[quote name='xistence']I'll be honest too...I'm just really lazy and sick of the leveling grind :D[/QUOTE]

Then WoW is the perfect MMO for you. :)

FYI to anyone interested in WoW, right now Target and Best Buy have a great deal, buy the original version for $19.99, get The Burning Crusade expansion free ($29.99 value)

Ugg I'm sitting on $30 BB gift card waiting for them to drop lich king so I can start again, maybe I should just eat the $10 (Plus the 15 to start my subscrip again... ugh)

Pretty good deal for people who haven't played before. That's a lot of content for $20.

EDIT: So with all this info about Cataclysm, I figured I should try to get my account back. It was banned about 2 months ago due to "Exploitative Activity: Abuse of the Economy." I had to do a double take when I saw the e-mail since I hadn't logged into my account since Christmas time last year. And that was only for a couple of hours. After that I let the 7 free days (for linking my account with battle.net) run out. So I'm pretty sure somebody hacked my account and used it for gold farming or duping or something. I requested that they check the IP addresses where my account was accessed after Christmas time last year and to unban my account. So fingers crossed...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Pretty good deal for people who haven't played before. That's a lot of content for $20.

EDIT: So with all this info about Cataclysm, I figured I should try to get my account back. It was banned about 2 months ago due to "Exploitative Activity: Abuse of the Economy." I had to do a double take when I saw the e-mail since I hadn't logged into my account since Christmas time last year. And that was only for a couple of hours. After that I let the 7 free days (for linking my account with battle.net) run out. So I'm pretty sure somebody hacked my account and used it for gold farming or duping or something. I requested that they check the IP addresses where my account was accessed after Christmas time last year and to unban my account. So fingers crossed...[/QUOTE]

This happened to my brother, don't worry you'll get it back.

In other news, I picked up lich king and I'm back on the wagon. Man this game is awesome! I'm on Ravenholdt, Iragor if anyone's on there (Terrible server though)

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']This happened to my brother, don't worry you'll get it back.

In other news, I picked up lich king and I'm back on the wagon. Man this game is awesome! I'm on Ravenholdt, Iragor if anyone's on there (Terrible server though)[/QUOTE]

Ah, that's good to hear! I haven't heard back yet, so I'm still waiting...

Is that a PvP or PvE server? I'm looking to start on a new server cause I'm tired of those Alliance bitches not leaving me alone. I JUST WANT TO QUEST IN PEACE. Should have started on a PvE server to begin with, but all my friends were a PvP server at the time.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Ah, that's good to hear! I haven't heard back yet, so I'm still waiting...

Is that a PvP or PvE server? I'm looking to start on a new server cause I'm tired of those Alliance bitches not leaving me alone. I JUST WANT TO QUEST IN PEACE. Should have started on a PvE server to begin with, but all my friends were a PvP server at the time.[/QUOTE]

RPPvP. It's something like 70/30 Horde/Alliance and pretty low populations so we get wrecked all the time.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI'] I'm looking to start on a new server cause I'm tired of those Alliance bitches not leaving me alone. I JUST WANT TO QUEST IN PEACE. Should have started on a PvE server to begin with, but all my friends were a PvP server at the time.[/QUOTE]

This is precisely why all me and my friends with jobs transferred from PVP to PVE servers. Our PVP server was infested with kids and teenagers without jobs but access to mommy and daddy's credit card who would do nothing but gank lowbies all day. Our playtime is limited and nothing is more frustrating than trying to level or quest and not being able to get anything accomplished because players 40 levels higher than you keep killing you over and over again. (And at that level, can you even call it PVP? You can't PVP against another player twice your level who keeps one shotting you).

Oh, and I'd also like to recommend this: buy a authenticator from Blizzard. They're what-$7? and generate an extra code when you log in to prevent people from hacking into your account. You can also download a free Authenticator program from Blizzard for certain cell phones as well. This will prevent most hacking attempts on your account.

I've been playing off and on casually for a while now, with every other month me canceling my sub because I had other things going on. I'm on an RP server(I joined for a friend who eventually quit, I'd probably like a PvE server instead), and I'm a 72 Mage with the Alliance. I just don't like any of the Horde races ;\ Maybe Night Elf.. maybe.

I absolutely loved the BC levels. Quests were smooth, and the flying mount was just a godsend. Most fun I've had in the game. Since 68 and moving onto LK area, things have really felt slow. No more flying until 77, and a lot more xp needed for each next level. Granted I only play a few hours a day but it feels like my pace has slowed drastically.

Is it me or do the pickup dungeon groups waste alot of people's time? I have 4 dungeon quests active for one of the dungeons, meaning a heap of xp and nice gear, so I queue for it while doing other things. But every group I've gotten for this dungeon(Nexus.. I think), people leave ten minutes after joining(seriously, why join then!?), or they do really stupid stuff like a dps pulling mobs without telling anyone while we're recovering mana, etc. It's starting to feel frustrating.

I'm also not sure what I want to do once I reach 80. I've been hesitant to join a guild since my playtime is casual/sporadic, I have no interest in joining a dedicated/serious raid guild. Battlegrounds sounds like fun though, I'll probably try that out. I also read that they're adding flying mounts to Azeroth in Cataclysm? I would love that so much.

Woot! Got my account restored and a e-mail to reset my password. It also said that it would waive payment for that month that it was accessed without authorization but I was never charged for a month (IIRC), so that's kinda weird.

Kinda considering not changing the password, until I get an authenticator. They're only $6.50 and it seems like the best way to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Now to see what kind of damage has been done to my characters. Sure hope I didn't lose anything too important.

bread's done
Back