World of Warcraft - Wrath of the Discussion Thread

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Woot! Got my account restored and a e-mail to reset my password. It also said that it would waive payment for that month that it was accessed without authorization but I was never charged for a month (IIRC), so that's kinda weird.

Kinda considering not changing the password, until I get an authenticator. They're only $6.50 and it seems like the best way to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Now to see what kind of damage has been done to my characters. Sure hope I didn't lose anything too important.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear it, if you have an iPod (touch and phone only I think) you can get a free app.

[quote name='Spacepest']This is precisely why all me and my friends with jobs transferred from PVP to PVE servers. Our PVP server was infested with kids and teenagers without jobs but access to mommy and daddy's credit card who would do nothing but gank lowbies all day. Our playtime is limited and nothing is more frustrating than trying to level or quest and not being able to get anything accomplished because players 40 levels higher than you keep killing you over and over again. (And at that level, can you even call it PVP? You can't PVP against another player twice your level who keeps one shotting you).[/QUOTE]

I kind of like it, it adds a little adventure to the usual grind. It's also nice if you have an alt to hop on and mop them up but even then, I like something to break the mold every once in a while.

Also raiding major cities is sweet :3

Hit 73, have had a ton of bad groups in random dungeon finder. Hope to be 80 by this time next week (Thank god school's out, need to find a job though =/ )

Just completed the crazy long Lich King quest chain
The one where you attack undercity
I have no idea the story behind most of it but that was pretty sweet.

Is that deal still going on? Or is it over? Definitely thinking of picking WoW up, but want to see if I can get any deals on it before hand.

Frys currently has the WoW battlechest for $20.

http://www.frys.com/product/5019605

Shipping from Frys.com isn't the cheapest if I remember correctly, but you can always try B&M. They also have the WotLK expansion for $20, but it's out of stock online.

http://www.frys.com/product/5730432

Finally, if you haven't yet, I'm sure there are many people around here that wouldn't mind hooking you up with a friend referral code. You don't get much if you don't actually play with them, but there's probably a few that would kick you back something in return.

[quote name='Salamando3000']
Finally, if you haven't yet, I'm sure there are many people around here that wouldn't mind hooking you up with a friend referral code. You don't get much if you don't actually play with them, but there's probably a few that would kick you back something in return.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Some of us actually do have the time to play with a person too! (Except Mon/Tues/Thurs afternoons)

[quote name='Salamando3000']Finally, if you haven't yet, I'm sure there are many people around here that wouldn't mind hooking you up with a friend referral code. You don't get much if you don't actually play with them, but there's probably a few that would kick you back something in return.[/QUOTE]

This is a great option, it takes out a LOT of the grind for the first few levels. I'd be up to doing it if anyone were interested, I've been curious as to how Shamans play.

In other news, LEVEL 80 SUCKAS!

VSN10.png

What am I going to do now, anyone know the best way to make quick cash? Dailies or instances. Also what's the best way to improve your gear? I can't run any big raids until I get some respectable gear.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']
What am I going to do now, anyone know the best way to make quick cash? Dailies or instances. Also what's the best way to improve your gear? I can't run any big raids until I get some respectable gear.[/QUOTE]
It's been over a year since I was in, but I doubt it's changed much outside of the addition of the new Dungeon Finder.

You'll just run a lot of heroics (instances) through the new LFG (Dungeon Finder). That will get you geared up and fill out your coffers a bit. Level up cooking and fishing, those dailies will also get you some cash and they take next to no time to run. These two are things you ought to do IMO, for fun (heroics) or easy cash (fish/cook dailies).

If you've got more playtime per day, there's a ton of level 80 dailies throughout Icecrown and a few connected regions that will get you lots of easy cash -- and rep, if you care about rep. I used to have a circuit I ran that got me ~250g in an hour and a half through IC dailies. That circuit included the easy Argent Tournament dailies.

Keep the cash and mats for later -- there's no need to buy anything outside of gems/enchants, let the gear come to you as it drops or opens up through badges.

If I were in now, based on what friends have told me, I'd only be running heroics and completing the fishing/cooking dailies. Apparently the Dungeon Finder lets you run a lot of heroics in very little time. That's not to say the other dailies aren't enjoyable, they just got pretty boring for me after a couple weeks, whereas pugging will always pay off in the sense that it will help you with class mechanics, etc.

Well, I hate to say it but I let my subscrip expire. In the month I payed for I pretty much experienced everything endgame has to offer. Didn't make it to the lich king in 10 or 25, I couldn't even get past Putricide but end game raiding doesn't really have much of a point. You get better gear to fight bigger bosses who drop better gear. Repeat.

I still had fun though, I'll hop back on for cata but until then I'm hanging up my bow.

Anyone excited for Ruby Sanctum? ICC is getting a little stale and all we have left is Lich King on Heroic. Not much to do in game but raid 2-3 nights out of the week, Cataclysm can't come soon enough. :(

[quote name='Fuzi0n']Anyone excited for Ruby Sanctum? ICC is getting a little stale and all we have left is Lich King on Heroic. Not much to do in game but raid 2-3 nights out of the week, Cataclysm can't come soon enough. :([/QUOTE]Yeah. I was falling into the same situation, till I started Retro-Raiding.

I am pretty much my server's pre-WOTLK raid leader. Brings back all the memories, and can work on getting my gear collection back.

Still have yet to see what the level 80 PVP side of WOW has to offer. Probly no where near Vanilla.

Yeah. Wow end-game raiding sure as hell ain't what it used to be. I kinda figured it would go south when they took Naxxramas and turned it into Karazhan. The fights in there aren't even close to what they used to be pre-BC.

I had more fun doing 40 man raids in MC, BWL, and AQ40 than I ever did doing the 25/10 man raids. 8 piece sets ftw. I remember when I completed Netherwind on my mage.

Lots of people always claim pre-BC raiding to be "the golden age" of WoW raiding, but there's a lot of nostalgia with that opinion. A lot of pre-bc Raiding just sucked.

For starters, there really wasn't a thing such as raiding as an "off-spec". If you wanted to raid as a Shadow Priest, for example, the priest set pieces became worthless (as they had yet to combine +healing and +spell power into one stat). It resulted in a vastly reduced gear pool.

Then there were the grinds for +resistance gear. And the grinds for assorted Pot mats. And the over-reliance on Fear as a boss mechanic (and Dwarf Priests being the only priests with Fear Ward).

Not to say modern raiding is perfect, but I'd much rather raid WotLK raids than Vanilla-raids any day.

Really looking forward to the CC change where 10 & 25 will share the same loot table.

Can finally raid with my friends to advance to the end-game gear, not be forced to do 25's.

I'll just be happy I only have to run a raid once a week. That's gotta be contributing to some of the burnout of current content - people are running each raid twice to gear up faster.

Well the thing I hate most about raiding now is the gear is worthless in PvP and arena thanks to resilience. It makes raiding pretty much worthless in the end considering you're only getting gear so you can get more gear.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Lots of people always claim pre-BC raiding to be "the golden age" of WoW raiding, but there's a lot of nostalgia with that opinion. A lot of pre-bc Raiding just sucked.

For starters, there really wasn't a thing such as raiding as an "off-spec". If you wanted to raid as a Shadow Priest, for example, the priest set pieces became worthless (as they had yet to combine +healing and +spell power into one stat). It resulted in a vastly reduced gear pool.

Then there were the grinds for +resistance gear. And the grinds for assorted Pot mats. And the over-reliance on Fear as a boss mechanic (and Dwarf Priests being the only priests with Fear Ward).[/QUOTE]

All these things are true, but the sheer difficulty of pre-BC raiding is what made it feel like such an accomplishment in the first place. And ironically enough, I can't see how the myriad of "conveniences" they've introduced since have done anything but turn the game into an even more repetitive loot grind.

[quote name='Magus8472']All these things are true, but the sheer difficulty of pre-BC raiding is what made it feel like such an accomplishment in the first place. And ironically enough, I can't see how the myriad of "conveniences" they've introduced since have done anything but turn the game into an even more repetitive loot grind.[/QUOTE]

I think only 1X guilds have beaten heroic lich, I'd say that's difficult enough.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I think only 1X guilds have beaten heroic lich, I'd say that's difficult enough.[/QUOTE]

I'd say that's a bit of an underestimation, but it's really beside the point. Everyone and their mother has beaten the other three versions of him. Dilutes the accomplishment a bit, don't ya think?

But hey, don't get me wrong. From an accessibility perspective, the changes Blizzard made to raiding were brilliant and a long time coming in MMO-land. The fact that they put off hardcore idiots like myself probably doesn't matter too much, since I'm sure we were looking to get something markedly different out of MMOs than were most people.

[quote name='Magus8472']I'd say that's a bit of an underestimation, but it's really beside the point. Everyone and their mother has beaten the other three versions of him. Dilutes the accomplishment a bit, don't ya think?

But hey, don't get me wrong. From an accessibility perspective, the changes Blizzard made to raiding were brilliant and a long time coming in MMO-land. The fact that they put off hardcore idiots like myself probably doesn't matter too much, since I'm sure we were looking to get something markedly different out of MMOs than were most people.[/QUOTE]

Whoops, missed an X there :lol:

Even so, I'd say cool your jets till Ruby comes, I'm sure it'll be tougher.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Well the thing I hate most about raiding now is the gear is worthless in PvP and arena thanks to resilience. It makes raiding pretty much worthless in the end considering you're only getting gear so you can get more gear.[/QUOTE]
I don't know which was worse: PvE to PvP or PvP to PvP. I wish WoW would drop the artificial skill from gear like it was during year one when nobody had good gear. I just don't understand the appeal of the hamster wheel anymore, but 10 million plus are still suckered by it.

Anyone know of a good server i could transfer to? i recently resubbed my account and im transferring off my server (80 blood elf warlock and 62 undead rogue) im just looking for a well populated server with some nice friendly guilds who do heroics, raiding etc. that are willing to accept someone who isn't godly at the game, its been like 8 months since i played im rusty as hell i mainly just wanna join a friendly guild who does like to progress but also helps out members not one of those guilds where if you aren't geared you are SOL and they ignore you, i like to have fun with the game but also like to progress and take the game seriously when needed to

my dick of a friend 8 months back was like hey xfer over here! so i did and he quit a week later and out of anger i canceled my account :lol: so im stuck on spirestone with nothing to do

[quote name='Magus8472']All these things are true, but the sheer difficulty of pre-BC raiding is what made it feel like such an accomplishment in the first place. And ironically enough, I can't see how the myriad of "conveniences" they've introduced since have done anything but turn the game into an even more repetitive loot grind.[/QUOTE]

I feel like this is a common misconception about pre-BC raiding. Yeah it might have been harder at times but it wasn't due to the tuning or mechanics of the bosses. I feel it may seem harder due to the fact you need 39 other people to fill out a raid half of which are most likely uninformed/geared/skilled for the encounter. You also have to remember there was no such thing as server transfers to pick up better raiders or even go to a server with better guilds. The gearing up process was also painfully slow considering the amount of people there were in a raid to the amount of loot that would drop each week. All these I feel contributed to the what made raiding so difficult, not to mention you had to play a hell of a lot more to gear up and farm consumables for raids much like BC.

We all no now how "easy" it is to gear up a character now which was not at all possible in vanilla. I to myself loved raiding back in vanilla and am not trying to say it didn't feel like an accomplishment, but that was when the game was new, I feel players now (at least at the endgame level) are much much better at the game than they were back then.

Raiding now still has it epic moments and still has plenty of difficulty for most guilds around the world. Remember you can still click off that buff in ICC and go at Heroic LK if you want a challenge, hell you can go try yogg+0 in your ICC gear and still wipe all night. There are still plenty of challenges in raiding.

Back on topic I like that they are combining the lockout of both 10 and 25 man. As for combining loot tables im not so thrilled about, but thats just me and it isn't a huge deal as people are making it out to be. I understand people have different tastes/schedules to abide to. I just hope they can truly match the difficulty of both 10 and 25 as they promised.

One thing I'd like to see again is the Ulduar/Sarth hardmode encounters, not just a setting you turn on and off like ICC.

One of my main requests for Blizzard is that they make more World Events, like 1 every 3 months. The Gates of Ahn'Qiraj was the highlight of WOW for me. The whole server came together.

With 3.3.7 & the Gnome/Troll World Event coming up, it could prove itself worthy. But my hopes are not set high...

Side-Note: fuck Paladins.

[quote name='LordKefka06']One of my main requests for Blizzard is that they make more World Events, like 1 every 3 months. The Gates of Ahn'Qiraj was the highlight of WOW for me. The whole server came together.

With 3.3.7 & the Gnome/Troll World Event coming up, it could prove itself worthy. But my hopes are not set high...

Side-Note: fuck Paladins.[/QUOTE]
Not a fan of the bubble hearth?

[quote name='Fuzi0n']I feel like this is a common misconception about pre-BC raiding. Yeah it might have been harder at times but it wasn't due to the tuning or mechanics of the bosses. I feel it may seem harder due to the fact you need 39 other people to fill out a raid half of which are most likely uninformed/geared/skilled for the encounter. You also have to remember there was no such thing as server transfers to pick up better raiders or even go to a server with better guilds. The gearing up process was also painfully slow considering the amount of people there were in a raid to the amount of loot that would drop each week. All these I feel contributed to the what made raiding so difficult, not to mention you had to play a hell of a lot more to gear up and farm consumables for raids much like BC.[/QUOTE]

That's the kind of difficulty I'm referring to. If anything "modern" encounters are more intricate than the older ones, at least in some respects (would have to be given how much more powerful and skilled players generally are now).

The fact that the gearing up process was so extensive (and often painstaking) made it an actual accomplishment. Now it's a perfunctory task at best, which just contributes to the more lootwhore-y overall atmosphere the game has now. Hell, the fact that you're speaking about loot and scoot/poaching from other guilds via server transfers as though they were good things goes a long way to evidence how much more soulless WoW has become. To put it bluntly, I liked it better when you couldn't PUG a raid and noone knew what the fuck gearscore was.

But like I said, the vast majority of sane people don't want the kind of game I'm lauding, so it makes perfect sense that it's changed in the ways it has. Just makes me not want to play it (which is probably a good thing).

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see a lot of the gearscore PUG issues that a lot of players have been facing mainly because I don't PUG and have always had the latest raid gear thanks to raiding with my guild. So it kind of hard for me to relate to the people who have been encountering that.

As for more world events like LordKefka06 had mentioned I totally agree. One thing I would love to see them bring back are world bosses that anyone on the server can go try to kill. Some of my best memories in wow are fighting for those bosses with other guilds and having one side coming out victorious.

I could use the TLPD right about now, I'm at 94 mounts trying to get 100. Next week we should be getting the 25man ICC bone dragon which would make it 95. I could get 5 more from argent tourny but its just so boring to do the dailies, not to mention a slow process to get 100 seals for each mount

[quote name='Fuzi0n']I could use the TLPD right about now, I'm at 94 mounts trying to get 100. Next week we should be getting the 25man ICC bone dragon which would make it 95. I could get 5 more from argent tourny but its just so boring to do the dailies, not to mention a slow process to get 100 seals for each mount[/QUOTE]

I'm over 100 mounts... and that is with *no* raiding mounts. I think I'm sitting around 106 on my main...

[quote name='georox']I'm over 100 mounts... and that is with *no* raiding mounts. I think I'm sitting around 106 on my main...[/QUOTE]

Nice, if I was really dedicated I could prob get there too. Do you have the 2 Talbuk PvP mounts from Halaa? If so did you get them before WotLK? It seems to be impossible to get them now since there isn't any PvP going on anymore.

I also found out I didn't have one of the PvP mounts (horse) so there is another one I can add easily. I have just about all the ones you can buy except for the Ice Mammoth from sons of Hodir. I can justify the 8k for an achievement when I have the Travelers Mammoth already.

[quote name='Fuzi0n']Nice, if I was really dedicated I could prob get there too. Do you have the 2 Talbuk PvP mounts from Halaa? If so did you get them before WotLK? It seems to be impossible to get them now since there isn't any PvP going on anymore.

I also found out I didn't have one of the PvP mounts (horse) so there is another one I can add easily. I have just about all the ones you can buy except for the Ice Mammoth from sons of Hodir. I can justify the 8k for an achievement when I have the Travelers Mammoth already.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I didn't get those two on the character with the mounts... my old main (hunter) has both, but my Shaman has neither. I keep considering drafting some people to stand around and die so I can farm tokens.. :D

@georox I just went and bought my friend vanilla wow and a two month card. I got the rocket and a month back. So if your desperate, you can always go that route.

I've considered doing that but just setting it up for myself. The people I know that are interested in WoW I've given trials to... after seeing them on the trial, not people I would want constantly on bothering me for help.

If anyone is thinking about reactivating or making a new account for the love of god pm me so we can set up some scroll of resurrection or recruit-a-friend goodness. I can possibly give some incentives for helping me with the free game time.

[quote name='Fjordson']http://www.giantbomb.com/rorcraft-wow-cataclysm-beta-part-01/17-2902/

GB playing the beta. Man, this looks so good. Raiding exhausted me on this game pretty badly in the middle of my guild's ICC clearing, so I've been out for a few months, but I don't think I'll be able to resist re-subbing for Cataclysm.[/QUOTE]

Clearing ICC has been becoming a drag since it is basically on farm. Every so often I'll take a week break from the game just to keep it from being so mundane. Though I believe we will begin to finally work on Lich King heroic mode in 25 man and I'm only 1 achievement from getting my 25 man bone-dragon mount since we failed twice on Portal Jockey. Also RS heroic is a bit of a challenge for our raid which is nice compared to rolling through ICC heroic minus LK.

As for the expansion I really wish I could get into the beta, one of my guild mates got in and is really enjoying it. It would definitely help make up my mind whether or not I will play it.

Just started playing again last night after being away from the game since August last year. I had to setup addons again, which took up about two hours. I still don't have my action bars setup perfectly, and I haven't even started on unit frames.

I just started playing this over the weekend. Thats right, Farm Fresh Noob here.
If anyone else
is just starting out and needs somebody to play with, lets get together.
Send me a PM

[quote name='Khondor']I just started playing this over the weekend. Thats right, Farm Fresh Noob here.
If anyone else
is just starting out and needs somebody to play with, lets get together.
Send me a PM[/QUOTE]

:/ You so didn't get an invite from me, so you won't be getting help from me.

bread's done
Back