World of Warcraft - Wrath of the Discussion Thread

Cinematic is garbage. Really cool ship battle then goofy ass fight scene. All their cinematics have been top notch epic, this one is a trailer for Kungfu Panda 4. I don't mind pandas being the focal point of this expansion but I expected something a lot cooler for a cinematic. I wish it were like Burning Crusade, show the new race for a bit then maybe show some of the newer race/class combinations (tell me you wouldn't love to see a Dwarf Shaman fighting a Troll Druid in cat form) and a villain.

[quote name='tcrash247']Cinematic is garbage. Really cool ship battle then goofy ass fight scene. All their cinematics have been top notch epic, this one is a trailer for Kungfu Panda 4. I don't mind pandas being the focal point of this expansion but I expected something a lot cooler for a cinematic. I wish it were like Burning Crusade, show the new race for a bit then maybe show some of the newer race/class combinations (tell me you wouldn't love to see a Dwarf Shaman fighting a Troll Druid in cat form) and a villain.[/QUOTE]

I loved it. I'd be very disappointed if all they did was look back and say "The TBC cinematic was pretty good, let's just photoshop some Pandaren and stuff in there and call it a day."

I didn't think it came across as goofy, either. It wasn't all dark and emo but it wouldn't have been as effective at communicating the feel and theme of the expansion if it were super serious and gloomy. This isn't that kind of expansion. Also, there have been more kung fu movies than Kung Fu Panda. The fight scene reminded me more of something from one of the Ip Man movies or Crouching Tiger or old Jet Li stuff.. serious, but with just enough traces of humor thrown in to convey the protagonist's superiority in the fight.

[quote name='sevenfold']I loved it. I'd be very disappointed if all they did was look back and say "The TBC cinematic was pretty good, let's just photoshop some Pandaren and stuff in there and call it a day."

I didn't think it came across as goofy, either. It wasn't all dark and emo but it wouldn't have been as effective at communicating the feel and theme of the expansion if it were super serious and gloomy. This isn't that kind of expansion. Also, there have been more kung fu movies than Kung Fu Panda. The fight scene reminded me more of something from one of the Ip Man movies or Crouching Tiger or old Jet Li stuff.. serious, but with just enough traces of humor thrown in to convey the protagonist's superiority in the fight.[/QUOTE]

What I suggested is hardly "photoshopping in Pandaren" but rather taking the theme of a classic cinematic and improving on it with entirely new scenes. Instead we get battle at sea that had the makings of being extremely cool, then "Herp derp let's fight together and get owned by a panda." WoW cinematics were always epic, this is nowhere even close. The fucking expansion reveal was more epic.

And to say this cinematic reminded you of Jet Li rather than Kung Fu Panda is just silly to me. It's a panda doing kung fu, pretty much sounds like Kung Fu Panda to me.

What's weird is every expansion trailer so far had a clear villain yet this was just Kung Fu Panda. At least it was a little humorous to compensate.

I really think WoW is starting to run out of steam with almost every other MMO being F2P.

I already hate Garrosh enough, I'm glad he wasn't plastered all over the cinematic like Arthas and Deathwing were, but a small scene would have been nice. I can't wait to kill him.

[quote name='tcrash247']What I suggested is hardly "photoshopping in Pandaren" but rather taking the theme of a classic cinematic and improving on it with entirely new scenes. Instead we get battle at sea that had the makings of being extremely cool, then "Herp derp let's fight together and get owned by a panda." WoW cinematics were always epic, this is nowhere even close. The fucking expansion reveal was more epic.[/QUOTE]

You suggested they basically recreate the cinematic from TBC but with the new race/class combos (which was itself very similar to the vanilla cinematic but with a few seconds of Illidan at the end). I guess we can argue semantics if you want.

And like I said, I thought the cinematic was very effective at conveying the theme of the expansion. Trying to force a bunch of "epic" moments in there just for the sake of being epic may have entertained those only satisfied by mindless instant gratification but I don't think it would have made a better cinematic for this expansion.

And to say this cinematic reminded you of Jet Li rather than Kung Fu Panda is just silly to me. It's a panda doing kung fu, pretty much sounds like Kung Fu Panda to me.
Well, yeah. It was a panda doing martial arts. Beyond that it didn't seem to have a lot in common with Kung Fu Panda. Pandaren existed in the WoW universe long before Kung Fu Panda was even a thing.

Do you also think Eminem and Vanilla Ice have a lot in common because they're both white and have had successful hip hop careers? Or maybe you think Brad Pitt and Robert Pattinson have a lot in common because they're both actors who have been in movies about vampires. Doesn't sound right to me but to each his own I guess.

[quote name='Jodou']What's weird is every expansion trailer so far had a clear villain yet this was just Kung Fu Panda. At least it was a little humorous to compensate.[/QUOTE]

This cinematic didn't include a clear villain because unlike all previous expansions this one doesn't focus on a single Saturday morning cartoon type villain. The focus is on the Horde vs. Alliance conflict and how the introduction of the Pandaren affects it. That was pretty clearly on display.

Haha, yes, because Pandas that do Kung Fu is just as common as white rappers. So if WoW implemented turtles that did ninja you wouldn't think of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or if they had a hedgehog that ran fast you wouldn't think of Sonic? Nah, that would be silly.

I also find it funny how you basically said Blizzard's villains are Saturday morning cartoons. Yeah, Illidan and Arthas were SO lame.

Warcraft 3: the Frozen Throne had a martial arts-using Panda in the Orc campaign. Pandas in Warcraft predate Kung Fu Panda by ~ 5 years. And they're all predated by Panda Khan (go on, google it).

And Arthas was pretty much a saturday morning cartoon villain. How many times did we disrupt his plans, in front of him, only for him to walk away with a "I'll let you live...for now"?

[quote name='tcrash247']Haha, yes, because Pandas that do Kung Fu is just as common as white rappers. So if WoW implemented turtles that did ninja you wouldn't think of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or if they had a hedgehog that ran fast you wouldn't think of Sonic? Nah, that would be silly.[/QUOTE]

TMNT and Sonic existed before WoW. If they were to implement characters with such specifically similar traits I'd agree that there was an issue. As has already been stated more than once in this thread, though, Pandaren monks predate Kung Fu Panda. If you want to be mad about it you should be mad at DreamWorks for ripping off the Warcraft universe, not the other way around.

I also find it funny how you basically said Blizzard's villains are Saturday morning cartoons. Yeah, Illidan and Arthas were SO lame.
Yeah, they basically are. I didn't say they were lame or that I didn't enjoy them. Skeletor, Mumm-Ra, Shredder, Tex Hex, Cobra Commander, and Megatron isn't exactly bad company to be in in my book.

They are pretty one dimensional as presented in game though. I love Illidan's history but in the game players are barely given any reason at all to fight him. We're just told that deep down he's evil and dangerous and stuff. Arthas was also a more complex character in the lore prior to WotLK but in game as The Lich King he's a pretty cliche and generic villain who does bad stuff and has his henchmen do his dirty work for awhile and eventually it's up to the good guys to stop him. Deathwing is an evil dragon who wants to destroy the world, I don't think I really need to say more.

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Since Kung Fu Panda has been in the spotlight for quite a while now, even though WoW did it before them, it should still remind you of that.

I see what you're saying about the villains, it's a shame Blizzard doesn't put as much effort into lore anymore. They can make some awesome looking villains with cool backstories, but when it comes to coming up with a reason for the players to defeat them it's all just "He's bad, go kill him." Like I said before though, I'm REALLY looking forward to killing Garrosh. There's a villain you have a reason and a need to kill. fucker doesn't get away with killing Cairne.

With Mists of Pandaria coming out in less than 2 weeks, just tossing out the offer for a Scroll of Resurrection or Recruit-a-Friend if anyone is interested.

Popular belief is he'll be overtaken by one of the Sha. Not that it's really needed. Garrosh from the books is enough of a monster. Each book he seems to acquire a new WMD. So far, he's used Magnataur and Protodrakes, Mana Bombs, and even friggin' Kraken.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Warcraft 3: the Frozen Throne had a martial arts-using Panda in the Orc campaign. Pandas in Warcraft predate Kung Fu Panda by ~ 5 years. And they're all predated by Panda Khan (go on, google it).

And Arthas was pretty much a saturday morning cartoon villain. How many times did we disrupt his plans, in front of him, only for him to walk away with a "I'll let you live...for now"?[/QUOTE]

This is the stupidest argument. IT WAS ONE PANDA!!!! To make a whole expansion based on that premise is just scraping the bottom of the barrel.

So I pre-purchased Mists of Pandaria and redeemed a time card so I could play for the first time in months... My spells and stuff have changed. :whistle2:s

[quote name='KillerRamen']So I pre-purchased Mists of Pandaria and redeemed a time card so I could play for the first time in months... My spells and stuff have changed. :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

They totally redid talents, no more trees. And if you're a shaman, they totally redid their totems.

[quote name='KillerRamen']So I pre-purchased Mists of Pandaria and redeemed a time card so I could play for the first time in months... My spells and stuff have changed. :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

Yep. Nothing about it is the same as it once was. I played a Disc priest in Lich King and then played my mage a bit when Cata came out. Renewed a couple weeks ago with a friend and we're going to try out Pandaria, but seeing that disc priests can heal by attacking enemies with Penance/Smite/Holy Fire was a big wtf. I probably looked like a retard the first couple of dungeon groups since I leveled as shadow until 85 on my priest not realizing that.

[quote name='Draekon']Yep. Nothing about it is the same as it once was. I played a Disc priest in Lich King and then played my mage a bit when Cata came out. Renewed a couple weeks ago with a friend and we're going to try out Pandaria, but seeing that disc priests can heal by attacking enemies with Penance/Smite/Holy Fire was a big wtf. I probably looked like a retard the first couple of dungeon groups since I leveled as shadow until 85 on my priest not realizing that.[/QUOTE]

It's really confusing... I'm a level 85 Retribution Paladin and I'm still not sure what I'm doing.

I got my butt handed to me in PVP last night. I guess I'll try the dungeons tonight and see if I can eventually stop sucking. If nothing else, I'll get to make my Kung-Fu Panda in a week or so.

I'm just thrilled my rogue will have baseline shadowstep. My dreams of Mut/shadowstep in PvP will finally be realized.

Really the only thing I care about in this expansion is Pokemon. Sure I'll roll a panda and level my mage to 90, but I really want to play a Pokemon MMO, and now I get to.

[quote name='hustletron']This is the stupidest argument. IT WAS ONE PANDA!!!! To make a whole expansion based on that premise is just scraping the bottom of the barrel.[/QUOTE]

Didn't mean it as an argument for the Expansion's setting as a whole, just the belief that Panderan were a rip-off of Kung-fu Panda. If anything I agree with you...I'm finding it damned hard to get enthused about questing on Panderia. Even in the Beta, I found the character models of the Panderen so off-putting I couldn't finish their starter zone. Animations were nice though. Makes the current-races' animations look like crap.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Didn't mean it as an argument for the Expansion's setting as a whole, just the belief that Panderan were a rip-off of Kung-fu Panda. If anything I agree with you...I'm finding it damned hard to get enthused about questing on Panderia. Even in the Beta, I found the character models of the Panderen so off-putting I couldn't finish their starter zone. Animations were nice though. Makes the current-races' animations look like crap.[/QUOTE]

I gotcha, I can never go back to WoW because of this though. I just can't do it. I broke down with Cat cuz my friend had a scroll and yadda yadda, but I ended up getting tired of it even faster. I don't feel like there's any depth anymore like it used to have. I'd still like to read some people's feedback on it though.

I'm really enjoying this expansion a lot. Sure the questing is the same it's always been but the setting and tone of this expansion seems very fresh to me. The continent of Pandaria is really cool, the new mobs are all very unique and the Pandaren are fun. I've always found Asian architecture and culture neat and interesting, so maybe that's why I'm liking this a lot more than I would have with any other expansion setting.

So far I've been leveling my mage (at 88 atm) and I'm really having a blast. Leveling is slower than it has been in the past it feels like, but that doesn't bother me at all. I thought Cataclysm was quite short in the 80-85 experience, but maybe that was a good thing because Cataclysm was boring as shit. I also started a Pandaren Monk but have only gotten him to level 3. I really want to get my mage to 90 first. The Monk and Pandaren animations are so well done. Even their facial expressions when they talk make this seem like a completely new game.

I did pet battles a little bit and I can already tell I'm going to sink a ton of hours into that alone (I love Pokemon).

So, I'm not too far into the whole experience besides the leveling from 85-90 but this might be the best expansion they've put out yet. I'll reserve final judgement for when I see the end game because Burning Crusade was really amazing (Ulduar FTW), but this could very well be better. It's definitely cool to see Blizzard can still do this 7 or 8 years after the game first released. And I'm super relieved that this isn't another Cataclysm shitfest, that expansion was really terrible.

I agree with tcrash. I'm 88 atm with my priest and I've enjoyed it so far. Most of the quests are more of the same kill x, collect y, etc. However there are some other quests as well.

The dungeons are quick, which keeps up with the Cata dungeon style, however they all have an Asian feel to them, which makes them interesting. They've come up with some new mechanics for the bosses that make them more interesting. The last boss of one of the dungeons is Xia the Weaponmaster or something to that effect. In the middle of the fight, arrows and spears start flying out from traps on the walls. So, you have to fight the boss, dodge those and dodge the other crap that he throws out at you. It's quite hectic, especially for a healer like me. :)

Also, Ulduar was in WoTLK.

[quote name='Lokki']Also, Ulduar was in WoTLK.[/QUOTE]

Dammit, I always make that mistake and I don't know why. I think BC had the overall better endgame but Ulduar was the best raid they ever did, so maybe I want Ulduar associated with that lol.

[quote name='tcrash247']Dammit, I always make that mistake and I don't know why. I think BC had the overall better endgame but Ulduar was the best raid they ever did, so maybe I want Ulduar associated with that lol.[/QUOTE]

I still love Karazahn from TBC though. But Ulduar is good.

Hit 90 a few nights ago. Current thoughts follow...

Heroics are easy. Very easy. Think less "Heroic" and more "Dungeon you're gonna be running at level 90". If you can queue for 'em, you shouldn't have any problems beating them. Kind of puts Scenarios in an awkward place. For those unfamiliar with them, they're mini-instances that allow any composition of three people to complete 'em. That means queue times are near-instant. The rewards aren't terribly exciting - a small handful of Valor and a "spoils" box that contains gold and a chance of randomized loot.

Dailies are back, in full force. If you want to do anything in the end-game, you're going to be doing a lot of dailies. You no longer gain reputation with various groups by equipping their tabard and running instances...you have to run dailies. This is problematic since Valor gear is only purchasable from various factions. Some factions can't even be unlocked until you've reached revered with another faction...you have to do dailies so you can do more dailies. If you want to level Cooking, you're going to be running the Farming dailies (Farming mainly exists to help level cooking). The entire thing is very unfriendly towards Alts. This entire daily thing could be the largest black mark against the expansion.

Playing a monk is fun though. Only in the 30's so far, so it's hard to gauge how fun they'll be in a more serious environment. Touch of Death (insta-kills any NPC with less health than you, 1.5 min cd) is an incredibly satisfying kill, and Flying Serpent Kick is such an awesome way to enter battle. Monk tanking seems highly unique compared to Pally tanking (which is what I'm used to) and far less button-pushy.

I like the expansion so far. I started playing as a Panda Monk and she's been lots of fun to play. I got her to like level 20 or something right now. Today I started playing Pokemon with my main character and so far I'm really digging it. I also started playing in the new zone and it seems pretty cool. (I did try to catch a little turtle in Pandaria, which was a big mistake... He brought three of his friends and he kicked my butt.)

Been playing this off and on for a couple weeks now and I'm just not that into it for some reason. It feels disconnected from WoW in the same way that Outland did in TBC. The lack of a Tol Barad to troll this expansion is really killing it for me and the fact my server is practically dead, which is a first since vanilla. What also pisses me off is I can't just train flying and start farming with my alts and no way in hell am I leveling them all to 90 on this content. It's incredibly boring and the asian theme doesn't do anything for me.

And I'm sorry, but pandas just look incredibly gay lol. Blizzard REALLY dropped the ball even bothering with a new race this time. Makes space squids look good.

I'm pretty blown away by how drool-proof dungeons are this expansion: I mean, every fight is literally tank n spank. And this is heroic I'm talking about. Really hoping raid finder or at least proper raids are challenging because Cata was so much better than this.

Still having fun with it now that I'm 90 though, because there's tons of stuff to do and mess around with. Might look into making my legendary daggers just for the lulz and farm old raids again now that they're adding pets to the boss drops from what I hear. Can't explain it, but this game just has that magic touch of making me want to keep playing heh.

[quote name='Jodou']Really hoping raid finder or at least proper raids are challenging because Cata was so much better than this.[/QUOTE]

Raid Finder is a fucking joke and a half. The mechanics are so basic it's almost funny. I've heard the normal mode raid isn't much harder, not sure about heroic though. I only raided for real in the first tier of Cata but yeah, that was so much better than this slop so far.

I can't get motivated to do dailies. I think it is partly because I haven't had much playing time the last few weeks. So when I do log in, the last thing that I want to do is churn out dailies. I've only run a hand full of heroics so far, but I've had fun in them for the most part. They definitely aren't super challenging, but I think I'm enjoying them just because it is something different. I was so tired of running the Twilight dungeons, even though I liked them.

Took two weeks off because of work and I've had a very hard time getting back in to WoW. Had it not been for the random player that invited me to do group questing, I probably would have just quit. Either I am getting long in the tooth or WoW is. Or both. :)

Played it for a little over a week and got bored of it again. have about 9 days left of game time and other than checking my auctions don't think I'll continue paying for or play it anymore.

Warlords of Draenor is coming out this year it seems. I'm happy to see a new expansion and the new character models, but I'm not happy about the raised price tag for the expansion. I don't know if I'll use the 90 level boost, but I may just use it to make a female Paladin to replace my male Paladin or something.

You can also pre-purchase the digital expansion now to get the boost.

Damnn thats how outdated this WoW thread is? haha

I think they handled the whole "free" Level 90 boost thing very poorly. IIRC when it was first announced it was suppose to be a bonus/incentive to buying the expansion, and then they announced that you'd only get if you pre-ordered it. Now they announce that you'll get the 90 boost with the expansion, but the expansion costs $50 now? What the hell lol. 

I still haven't decided if I'll return for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I don't quite understand the new pricing to this. It's $50 for standard, $70 for deluxe or whatever the F it is. The "deluxe" one gives you the Raven Lord mount that has armor and can fly.. plus a pet that looks like it.. you get some banners in D3 and some icons in SCII (I think).....oh plus the expansion. That's not worth $70. At all.

I'm going to be a little mad if you have to pre-order the game in order to get a level 90 boost. I don't see myself ever buying the $60 level 90 boost, but I'd really want to boost a toon up. 

I really hope they don't justify the price of $50 because of that stupid level 90 boost. Don't get me wrong, as long as it's apart of the expansion and not just some silly pre-order bonus, it's a pretty good feature. Paying $10 is a lot better than paying $60.. but then, I could just.. Oh, I don't know, play the game and get a toon to 90. With all of the heirlooms available, leveling is just a breeze anyway. No need to spend $60. No need to even spend a $10 premium. I guess we're all kinda SOL with that, though.

I've been wanting to play WoW again for a while. I just can not get into this expansion at all. Even though I like this expansion more than Cata (because Cata was kind of awful), but I had a lot more fun in Cata... Hmmm....

Maybe they will announce some kind of bomb shell and that'll help warrant the extra $10. 

What's the easiest way to get some free gametime? I haven't played in 5 years. More than anything I just want to fly around Azeroth and see what's changed since vanilla. Not really interested in levelling, just looking to see whatever my 80 chars can see.

Right now the best I can get is 10 free days through battle.net if I trial the panda expansion. I couldn't give a shit about the pandas, I just want to see the old stuff made different.

Are there any other ways to get more free days? I remember the rez scrolls from long ago (is it still a "thing"?). I didn't know if they had other bullshit to pull people in. I'd feel like a sucker subbing for a month, because I don't want to buy and install panda funtimes. Thanks for any help!

EDIT: I'm doing the 10-day trial. I'm struck by how empty everything is. More than the changes to everything (so far I've just flown around Kalimdor). I saw maybe 15-20 people total in flying around the new Org. It's crazy, it kind of saps my enthusiasm for everything else. I feel so lonely, the chats are dead, nobody's out bouncing around.

Also, just to share...

I set it up a battle.net account as I was leaving WoW, this was sometime early 2009 and everyone was pissed at Blizz about the way the whole battle.net integration went down. Anyhow, I set up that account with all fake credentials I can't begin to recall. Now get to 2014 and I want to access that account. Well, what gmail account did I have associated with it? That's right, the gmail account I set up expressly for wow and haven't touched in 5 years. Google deleted it. So 1) I don't have access to the email account associated with the battle.net account and 2) I don't know the first thing about the name, address, etc on the account.

I go into chat with Blizz support with a deleted gmail address and vague recollections of 4 or 5 toons on that account, their servers, races, classes, etc. I have some old screenshots I share with support of some of these toons hanging with Thrall in the throne room (it's a thing I used to do when I'd reach the lvl cap, go get my pic with big daddy Thrall). And that's it.

A couple security questions and 5 minutes later, the CS agent puts the account in one of my working gmail addresses. I'm shocked at how easy it was. I suppose it helped that the account sat it disuse, and that I knew roughly when it was last used and so on, but there wasn't a speck of personal info on the account. I just didn't think it would be that easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: I'm doing the 10-day trial. I'm struck by how empty everything is. More than the changes to everything (so far I've just flown around Kalimdor). I saw maybe 15-20 people total in flying around the new Org. It's crazy, it kind of saps my enthusiasm for everything else. I feel so lonely, the chats are dead, nobody's out bouncing around.
It seems to depend on what server you are on. Right now I got characters on two servers both on the Alliance side. My main server Hellscream it's nearly a ghost town in Stormwind most of the time. Yeah there are people out and about but it's pretty quiet most of the time. On the other hand the other server I am on Emerald Dream boy talk about the very opposite. Stormwind is very busy no matter what time of day it is. Tons of people all over, very busy auction house, guilds for every type of thing you want to do ranging from raiding to PVP, etc.

So yeah right now it's really hit and miss with how active things are. Of course I expect that to fully change at least 1-2 weeks prior to the launch of the next expansion or at least if Blizz does any pre-expansion content like they did in the past (except for Mists oddly).

http://youtu.be/TLzhlsEFcVQ

http://youtu.be/lMc8VP02DFA

They released the cinematic trailer for the new expansion, a gameplay trailer and it's going to launch on November 13, 2014. 

I probably shouldn't bother with another WoW expansion, but I'm going to get it.  I'll still put enough time into it to make the purchase worthwhile.

bread's done
Back