World of Warcraft - Wrath of the Discussion Thread

OK I'm not sure how big people are on WoW around here -- but what does everyone think of all the recent news about Mists?

I was getting really ZzZZz with Cata -- it just wasn't good. I don't recall any raid encounter that I found "fun".. the dungeons where.. ok.. neat and pretty...but nothing makes me go "I LOVE THAT PLACE". I enjoyed the remake of Deadmines and Shadowfang Keep...but .. it wasn't "new" stuff.

Anyway, the female Pandaren isn't bad. I actually do like the Dwarf female model, and she kinda resembles that. The Monk class, in general, seems absolutely awesome. Yes yes, it'll be WAY OP when it launches, then it'll get nerfed beyond words, but eventually they'll balance it correctly. The healing on Monks seem awesome.. looks like a DPS/healing hybrid.. but with a lot of channeled spells.

I am SUPER stoked about pet battles. Call it Pokemon.. it's a SIDE thing to do and no one has to do it, but I love collecting things and leveling things.. so it'll be fun for crazies like me.

"Farmville" is incorrect. It's more like Harvest Moon. Plus, farming your own herbs in a literal "farming" sense...is a fantastic idea.

The Challenge mode just seems great. It'll give that "video game" feel to it, you get achievements (ok big deal) but you also get class specific transmog sets...and THAT is def neat.

Scenarios are also interesting. Can't say much about it as we don't know much about it.

But I like that we aren't going for a "BIG BAD". This xpac is going to be how MMORPGs should be: A story. Patch 5.0.3 will be when we start this story..eventually, 5.1 will come out. Instead of it just being random stuff (like troll heroics, lol), it'll be a continuation from 5.0. This is a GOOD thing. Throughout all of this, we will see why Garrosh Hellscream is going to be the man we need to take out at the end of the xpac. I like this. It's not like "O NOZ, DEATHWING IS WILD. QUICKLY, ER'BODY AFTER HIM!". There's going to be a reason WHY Garrosh needs to be taken out...and that is just so smart, IMO.

You can be one of the sheep and say "LoL Pandas", but this whole concept is we find this beautful peaceful place..and Horde/Alliance are there fighting and being just insane and I'm sure we somehow drag them into this mess.

I'm excited. It's bad to be excited for games as they always lead to disappointment, but I wasn't THIS excited for Cata, and obviously my excitement radar was faily correct. I liked Cata, but.. I won't really miss it.

Anyone else excited? Or.. going to at least give MoP a try?

I'm excited for two reasons. The first being they're finally shaking the mechanics up with the drastic changes to talent trees. I'm not sure how well it will work since you have very few options, but this at least allows us to specialize and pick up signature moves along the way rather than having to spec for certain talents. Definitely about time my rogue can use Shadowstep in any spec, because we've asked for it since TBC. It will be like relearning the class all over again in MoP.

The second is BoA mounts. If this means my mounts can be accessed by any character as a collective stable, then it opens the doors to shared faction reputation, etc. I would like to start seeing more of a legacy system where if you're exalted on one character, it's account wide. Perhaps not for the current factions, but once they've become obsolete with a new expansion.

The talent system does look pretty awesome. HOPEFULLY .. and FINALLY.. we can have somewhat a more balanced system so people can't QQ about PVE/PVP. I love LOVE Frost (Mage). Love raiding with it. It wasn't bad in Firelands at all, and it's not bad in DS...it's just that.. Fire and even Arcane are so much better.

But yeah the BoA mounts/pets/achievements/titles are all a good thing. I don't know about you, but, it's really annoying when I have downed a raid on my main.. I go on my hunter and I can't get in a pug because "I don't have the achievement".. lol

cata was fun at the start but honestly i hate the whole patch system as most the patches just add more loot and grind and not really more content. and you're relaly stuck without fresh content till an expansion comes out.

At this point wow for me is like eq. been there, done that.I raided eq for about 6 years hardcore but after a certain point i just moved on as the game engine gets old and while there usally isn't a games thats better, its just different than doing the same ond thing in the old game. :)

im really looking for a good mmo taht will breaks away from the trend of theme park model and also gets rid fo healers! =p

[quote name='Kevfactor']cata was fun at the start but honestly i hate the whole patch system as most the patches just add more loot and grind and not really more content. and you're relaly stuck without fresh content till an expansion comes out.

At this point wow for me is like eq. been there, done that.I raided eq for about 6 years hardcore but after a certain point i just moved on as the game engine gets old and while there usally isn't a games thats better, its just different than doing the same ond thing in the old game. :)

im really looking for a good mmo taht will breaks away from the trend of theme park model and also gets rid fo healers! =p[/QUOTE]

Well I actually have good news for you -- a lot of people just hate "insert patch here" patches. What they want to do is essentially make sequels to the previous patch. When patch 5.1 releases we will understand WHY we have the content. When patch 5.2 releases, the lore behind it will be from the end of patch 5.1. Etc. Etc etc.

Now I understand grinding can be a pain, and WoW has done a terrific job of trying to fix that. Your weekly dungeons are now dungeons that can happen 7x throughout the week so you can do them whenever, instead of daily. Daily quests can be a pain, but it also provides something to do.

When people (not you!) complain about daily quests, and "Pokemon", and "Farmville" and all of the other "casual" things in the game -- and THEN they complain about "Nothing to do".. I don't understand what they are looking for.

Oh and why get rid of healers?! Are people never supposed to die?! LOL I agree that the "trinity" is a bit dry these days (tank/heals/dps) which is why I think more support roles should be mandatory. I did enjoy that in Rift. It's just that, I didn't really enjoy Rift overall. :lol:

So I've really been out of the loop since I quit May of last year; any plans from them to update Tol Barad or add a new world PvP area that's similar in MoP? My fondest memories of Cata were just going out there to harass people doing dailies or to protect guildmates doing the same. I'd really be sad if there's nothing on the table for us PK's. I really wouldn't mind it if they just revamped TB for 90's, because otherwise it will just be another dead zone like Wintergrasp.

I'm really excited for MoP as well. I'm really sick of all the fire and lava from Cataclysm and I'm ready to get back to peaceful forests and a whole new continent. I like Chinese culture and architecture so that's all going to look really cool.

I also like that there's no big bad. This game is supposed to be about you and your characters and Horde vs. Alliance, I'm pleased that we're getting back to that.

The new minigames are going to be a ton of fun. I love Pokemon and I cannot wait to battle friends and collect more pets and such.

I'm with you, lilboo, I definitely was not this excited for Cataclysm.

I personally thought Cataclysm kinda sucked to be honest. I LOVED Burning Crusade and Wrath, although I didn't like it at first, I ended up somewhat liking it towards the end. Mists seems to be shaping up well. Hope I can get into the Beta!

I'm looking for a scroll if anyone on Hyjal or Proudmore HORDE wants to send me one. I'm looking to move one of my alts over to one of these 2 servers (haven't decided which yet). PM me if you are interested.

I'm pretty sure the scroll needs to be sent from someone on one of those servers and from the right faction for it to let me move one of my characters over there, so please only PM me if you are on Hyjal or Proudmore Horde.

Been playing the beta since day 1 and since there is no NDA I'll post up a couple of shots :p

Since there's no NDA I have some screenies for you guys

WoWScrnShot_032412_210818.jpg

Apparently Helms are not in the game yet, so there is a placeholder image

WoWScrnShot_032412_213138.jpg

"Honey, I saw the damnedest thing today. I saw a panda standing on a pink ostridge balancing a Rubiks cube on it's head"

"Have you been drinking at work again?"

[quote name='lilboo']What is on your head?![/QUOTE]

It's basically an item without a texture assigned to it. They've appeared in every single WoW beta I can think of. I had several during the time I was in the Burning Crusade beta.

Just wondering if there is anyone here that plays on either Proudmoore Horde or Hyjal Horde? I'm trying to decide between those 2 servers and would love some info on them. I've tried posting a few other places and gotten almost no info.

Hey, is there anyone on EU servers who is willing to send me a resurrection scroll at all? PM me and I'll send you my email.

[quote name='Draekon']It's basically an item without a texture assigned to it. They've appeared in every single WoW beta I can think of. I had several during the time I was in the Burning Crusade beta.[/QUOTE]

Haha, that's awesome!

[quote name='lilboo']Haha, that's awesome![/QUOTE]
I still have screens from TBC beta with these little cubes for unfinished models. Never forget the time I was being chased by them since the BE models weren't finalized yet.

I received a beta invite today, as well as a Diablo 3 invite (my lucky day!). I'll install them tomorrow, really excited to try both out.

If anyone is still looking for a scroll send me a PM with your Battle.net e-mail and which server and faction you want. I can send you one from any US realm and faction. If you want Moonrunner Alliance or Gnomeregan Horde then I'm willing to give you some gold if you re-sub once I get the mount.

[quote name='jimbodan']If anyone is still looking for a scroll send me a PM with your Battle.net e-mail and which server and faction you want. I can send you one from any US realm and faction. If you want Moonrunner Alliance or Gnomeregan Horde then I'm willing to give you some gold if you re-sub once I get the mount.[/QUOTE]

SoR ended yesterday I'm pretty sure :(

A friend recently got back in and he was telling me it's $25 per transfer per character, which is crazy high IMO. I know that , but have they ever responded directly to requests to justify that expense as populations decrease? Maybe there's a policy in place my friend didn't know about, like if your server falls below X members you get 1 free transfer.

I'm not saying unlimited transfers should be allowed, but one or two character transfers every 60-180 days seems about right. It's a sensible interval and it ensures that the gaming experience isn't adversely affected by low populations.

[quote name='dothog']A friend recently got back in and he was telling me it's $25 per transfer per character, which is crazy high IMO. I know that , but have they ever responded directly to requests to justify that expense as populations decrease? Maybe there's a policy in place my friend didn't know about, like if your server falls below X members you get 1 free transfer.

I'm not saying unlimited transfers should be allowed, but one or two character transfers every 60-180 days seems about right. It's a sensible interval and it ensures that the gaming experience isn't adversely affected by low populations.[/QUOTE]

It is a crazy high price but Blizzard doesn't give one single fuck.

I'm just surprised nobody's called them on it. At least one of the new corps of games journalists* has asked it of Blizz, haven't they?

* i.e., the post-blogspam journalists who make a point of reminding you that they are Journalists

I think the $25 price tag was originally to discourage frequent transfers. The transfers had to be done manually back then. Now it is automated and takes a matter of minutes. They could definitely lower the price, but people are used to it now. I've transferred a couple in the past and have one that I would like to transfer now, but I don't want to spend $25 again.

Yeah, $25 isn't defensible. It's automated, server populations are all over the place, there's really no reason to prevent people from doing this if they're not abusing it.

Who says they need to defend it? It's a completely optional service...a person is able to enjoy the game without ever requiring a server transfer. And people would abuse it if they got a free server transfer every now and again. Gold Sellers would use it to move gold from one server to the next...Ninjas could live without fear of a bad server rep...Guild leaders would be free to ransack the GBank and leave whenever they want to. The $25 acts as a deterrent from such behavior.

Although there are two methods to get a free transfer. First, be on a high population realm and hope Blizz opens up free transfers to a low population realm. Or use the new Resurrection scroll system, which grants the resurrectee a free server transfer to the realm of the resurrector.

BTW, this is all JMO, I'm not looking to start a "blizz sucks" flame war. As you and others have noted, Blizz doesn't need to modify this. I'm just surprised it doesn't come up more often as their server populations are really all over the place now (and those numbers are subs -- I was looking for indicators of server activity but couldn't find anything).

[quote name='Salamando3000']Who says they need to defend it? It's a completely optional service...a person is able to enjoy the game without ever requiring a server transfer.[/QUOTE]
I think that if you're willing to put playtime into characters in an MMORPG (meaning you're prepared to sub for a while) and yet you're stuck on a deserted server, you should be allowed to transfer them to improve your MMO experience without an exorbitant fee, if any at all. Especially now that it's been streamlined.

It shouldn't be "optional" in the sense that it's a low priority for Blizz. I've heard enough "I'm questing all alone" stories from friends on abandoned realms to know that it adds a lot to the game experience when other people are around.

[quote name='Salamando3000']The $25 acts as a deterrent from such behavior.[/QUOTE]
Creating policies to deter gold farming at the expense of gameplay is a bad idea.

[quote name='Salamando3000']there are two methods to get a free transfer. First, be on a high population realm and hope Blizz opens up free transfers to a low population realm. Or use the new Resurrection scroll system, which grants the resurrectee a free server transfer to the realm of the resurrector.[/QUOTE]

It shouldn't cost 2 months of playtime, and you shouldn't have to wait for a scroll handout to transfer one char in a blue moon.

I was invited to the MoP Beta and downloaded the client but decided to just wait out the expansion. Anyone else have the beta but don't want to spoil Launch Day?

I with you DaddyBoJangles, Ive had the Beta invite for weeks, but I dont want to ruin any of the expansion surprises. I even try to read as little as possible about the details.

[quote name='dothog']I'm just surprised nobody's called them on it. At least one of the new corps of games journalists* has asked it of Blizz, haven't they?[/QUOTE]
The pricing is meant to be 'just right' in terms of decision making. Not too steep that nobody would use it, but not too lean that it becomes a tool for moving wealth or abuse. The way it stands, it should make the decision to move a character to another server a tough one. You also have to consider server populations as if the cost were too low, you'd end up with horrible imbalances with people flocking to popular servers and abandoning theirs.

TOR is a prime example of this in the wild because the game is so new that players are overloading 1-2 servers and leaving all the rest at low.

[quote name='Jodou']The pricing is meant to be 'just right' in terms of decision making. Not too steep that nobody would use it, but not too lean that it becomes a tool for moving wealth or abuse.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and I suppose WoW isn't at the point now where imbalance in server populations is a huge deal. I guess my question is more of a "moving forward" thing. They've certainly hit a price point that forces deliberation, it's just that as the process has become more automated, the cost might be worth revisiting.

I have no intention of getting back in (famous last words), but were I to do so I'd need to shuffle more than one toon around. Attracting someone like me with a single scroll isn't going to do it, because I'm thinking about 3 or 4 toons and how to get them on server(s) that are not abandoned. In that sense, temporarily discounted transfer fees may be a better carrot than one single move.

Does the new expansion have anything new for lower levels, I have never got a character to the highest level, even though I plan on it with my recently new annual pass.

I wish i was better at wow, its hard to figure stuff out, because people yell at you if u ask questions. Anyways, I'm level 21 goblin shaman, having fun. What will the new expansion hold?

Oh and i do have a 80 undead warlock that was auto leveled with the scroll of reserection. But i have no clue what to do at that point in the game lol. So i never use him.

Is the person that sent you the scroll not around to answer questions? What do you need to know about?

I just recently returned to WoW. I don't pretend to know everything, but I'll be glad to help you out.

After boredom from SWTOR and D3, I'm back to playing WoW again. I finally finished leveling my rogue to 85. I now have 4 85's, but I then started leveling a mage. Normally, I quest to level up, but with the mage, I've been doing a mixture of questing and running dungeons with the Random Dungeon Finder. I basically quest while waiting in the queue and I'm leveling up pretty fast with this method. I figured that I'll try to get as many of my alts as possible to 85 before the expansion.

If anyone wants a scroll of resurrection (returning players) or a recruit a friend (new players) invite, just let me know and I can send one your way. I'm in a small, casual, lvl 20 horde guild on Khadgar. But we all get along great, help each other out, and have a no drama policy. It's always more fun to level up with someone else.

Once you hit 80 and the real grind starts, I had fun just farming herbs/ores all the way to 85 with my alts. You'd be surprised how fast it goes if you just turn your brain off and put on some good music. Not sure about the market now but it also brings in a ton of gold plus resources to level your profs. Did that with my hunter, shaman, druid, and mage. Some of them were even 60 when I started but it went super fast.

Since I have no free time and literally a box of unopened 360 games and about 40 on steam I have never played, I re uped my account. Having a good time so far gonna tank as a Death Knight. I still love this game

Two accounts worth of scrolls of resurrection and refer-a-friend if anyone is considering starting an account/coming back to catch up for Pandas

. . .To Diablo III and lack of content patches since March 31st of this year. They'd down to 9.1 million subs now after losing 10% of the population and are down a total of 2 million since last year. The losses are mostly in the East rather than stateside, despite Diablo III being absent in China still. Seems the MMO is finally on the slippery slope of decline after a seven year reign.

Yeah pretty scarey stuff for Blizzard. Maybe someone will actually listen to the complaints for once? I mean, 2 million in a year is rather big.

2 million sounds like a lot, but not when you still have 9 million subscribers, especially when other MMOs on the market can't even get 1 million subs.. They should be worried when it dips to 2 million.

[quote name='Jodou']. . .To Diablo III and lack of content patches since March 31st of this year. They'd down to 9.1 million subs now after losing 10% of the population and are down a total of 2 million since last year. The losses are mostly in the East rather than stateside, despite Diablo III being absent in China still. Seems the MMO is finally on the slippery slope of decline after a seven year reign.[/QUOTE]

This is probably a glimpse of things to come with Guild wars 2 coming later this month,then Tor becoming free (kinda free,anyway)

bread's done
Back