X-Men The Animated Series - Vols 1 & 2 Out Now / 3 & 4 Sept 15th

Swift900

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Hey guys, I've recently been looking to pick up a collection of the X-Men animated series that appeared on Fox back in the 90's. So far, this is all I can find...

What do you guys think? Has anyone ever ordered from these guys? If so, how is the quality?

At $79.99 that comes out to just a little over a dollar an episode. Not too bad IMO.

Because Evolution looks like complete shit in character design maybe? Americans don't seem to want to try anymore in AMERICAN animated product in my opinion. What happened to great looking shows like Batman or even fairly decent one's? Oh wait! It's because there's no fucking budget in them! X-(
Cable crippled network in Saturday morning cartoons.

[quote name='Sarang01']You kidding? It might as well be Kim Possible or the Powerpuff Girls which have NO artistic merit.[/QUOTE]

While the storytelling quality of Powerpuff Girls may be questionable (I rather enjoy Kim Possible), they both have plenty of artistic merit. Neither is drawn or animated poorly. And unlike the 90's X-Men series, Evolution is very consistent in its design, and competently animated.

It would be an interesting poll to see who likes TAS X-men vs X-men Evolution

Although I have to say TAS was supported better in the mainstream, comics, comic cards (I have these), and that sweet pizza hut promo in the mid 90s, had cool interviews with Stan Lee.

I went and watched a few episodes last night and at some times and the animation is a bit rough around the edges, it still a lot better looking then the Hulk or Iron Man cartoons. And Ill take X-men Evolution for storyline over Spider Ultimate crap....

And a few things taken from articles supporting TAS

"...The show is widely considered one of the best television adaptations of a comic series ever, often being compared to Batman: The Animated Series in terms of quality. In its prime, X-Men garnered very high ratings for a Saturday morning cartoon, and received wide critical praise for its portrayal of many different storylines from the comics.
The show currently has a score of 8.8/10 on IMDB.com[3], and 9.0/10 on TV.com[4].
In 2009, IGN ranked X-Men as the 13th greatest animated show of all time in their Top 100 list.."

Now about Evolution
The X-Men: Evolution series was targeted at a younger audience and as such portrays the majority of characters as teenagers rather than adults like in the previous animated series.

The series was created as a stark contrast to the Fox series of the 1990s. The Series Bible was written by Robert N. Skir and Marty Isenberg (albeit uncredited), who meant to take The X-Men back to their roots as high school students learning to control their superpowers, as when the comics termed them "The Strangest Teens Of All".[citation needed] Whereas the Fox series reflected the then-current role of X-Men as freedom fighters battling persecution and bigotry against mutantkind, X-Men: Evolution used the theme of mutant powers as a metaphor for the struggles of adolescence.

And its awards:

X-Men: Evolution won the award for Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing – Live Action and Animation at the 30th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards, on May 16 2003.[2] It also won the Cover of the Year Award in 2004 for best animated figure for Beast. It was nominated for several Golden Reel Awards, as well as other Emmys. Steven E. Gordon, the director of this show, was nominated in the Production Design in an Animated Television Production category for X-Men: Evolution at the 2001 Annie Awards.

Although after browsing the Wiki it still doesn't seem like Evolution was that close to the comics...if its taken back to the roots then only the original xmen would be in the series. No wolverine, nightcrawler, etc....
Finally if you wanna stick with the teenager theme use Generation X sheesh...

I have all of the 90's X-Men and Spider-Man episodes on my external.

I also have Spectacular Spider-Man (2008) and Wolverine and The X-Men (2009).

No way I'd pay for a bootleg when you could get it for free!!

always felt the 90's spiderman & xmen were poorly animated.

spectacular spiderman (08) is one of the best efforts i've seen. as good as justice league (s1&2) imo.
too bad it's seems to have already been torpedoed. never saw wolverine & the xmen (09)

[quote name='jp2']spectacular spiderman (08) is one of the best efforts i've seen. as good as justice league (s1&2) imo.
too bad it's seems to have already been torpedoed.[/QUOTE]

Torpedoed how? I'm enjoying season two so far.

Im in the middle of DL'ing this season as we speak.

Too bad they wont play over my X-box though, shitty format or something. But I don't care what others say, this show has always been my absolute favorite comic book cartoon. The new series is alright, I just dont like the "Wolverine and the X-Men" title, but it fits the storyline, so at least it has that going for it.

[quote name='capybara554321']the problem with wolverine & the xmen is i want to see him using his claws in fights not cutting the guns in half and then kicking the guy holding it[/QUOTE]lol, reminds me of how Raphael would always be throwing his sais at a switch in the TMNT cartoons. Or like Leonardo would cut a pipe and spray steam at a guy and then hit him with the handle of his sword.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']So you are comparing this...
*X-Men Evolution video*
To this?
*Powerpuff Girls video*[/QUOTE]

Powerpuff Girls art design looks way better, IMO.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I disagree. Disney also picked up the rights to The Tick, and that's getting a DVD release this summer. The Gargoyles situation has to do with poor sales, but it seems as if Disney is willing to experiment with some of their properties right now. I'd say it's more possible now than it's ever been before.

I used to love the X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons when they were airing on Fox, but since Jetix started airing them, the magic has died. The shows are actually quite terrible. There goes more of my childhood.[/quote]

i thought "The Tick" was already out on DVD since i already have season 1 on DVD, and i have seen at least season 2 somewhere else before

[quote name='Sarang01']Because Evolution looks like complete shit in character design [/quote]

i actually thought it looked good, my biggest problem with the look of the series was that every female character had "Floaty Hair" and that bugged me to no end, though to be honest i still enjoyed the 90's fox series the best, at least Evolution was a decent re-boot of the series unlike The Batman was for the Batman franchise, but even then it did get better as time went on.

[quote name='Sarang01']Cable crippled network in Saturday morning cartoons.[/quote]

There is no Doubt about this, and unfortunately this has been for the worse, especially for those that don't get basic cable

PS: loving Batman: Brave and the Bold right now! i don't know why but i love it!

[quote name='YaMissed2']i thought "The Tick" was already out on DVD since i already have season 1 on DVD, and i have seen at least season 2 somewhere else before[/QUOTE]

Yes, seasons one and two of The Tick are out on DVD now (though each set is missing one episode, grr). The post of mine that you quoted is almost three years old now. This thread is ancient.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Yes, seasons one and two of The Tick are out on DVD now (though each set is missing one episode, grr). The post of mine that you quoted is almost three years old now. This thread is ancient.[/quote]

really? my bad

thought it was recent since it was on the front page, sorry bout that

Does anyone know if the new DVDs will have Days of Future Past 1, 2 and Longshot on it?

Disney has been hell-bent on having those episodes never air again, as they stated back in 2001, due to their taking place in New York City. And, sure enough, 7 and a third years later, the episodes still have not aired under Disney's control here in the US... and Days 1 and 2 aren't even available on Xbox Live to download.

[quote name='spooie_redux']Does anyone know if the new DVDs will have Days of Future Past 1, 2 and Longshot on it?

Disney has been hell-bent on having those episodes never air again, as they stated back in 2001, due to their taking place in New York City. And, sure enough, 7 and a third years later, the episodes still have not aired under Disney's control here in the US... and Days 1 and 2 aren't even available on Xbox Live to download.[/QUOTE]

No announcements have been made as to the content of the upcoming DVDs. I'm sure someone (I'll do it myself unless someone beats me to it) will post the information when it becomes available.

[quote name='spooie_redux']Does anyone know if the new DVDs will have Days of Future Past 1, 2 and Longshot on it?

Disney has been hell-bent on having those episodes never air again, as they stated back in 2001, due to their taking place in New York City. And, sure enough, 7 and a third years later, the episodes still have not aired under Disney's control here in the US... and Days 1 and 2 aren't even available on Xbox Live to download.
smile.gif
[/quote]
Has not yet been made public, but I'll keep an eye out :)

April 28th, Vol 1 and 2 of the Animated Series hit DVD from Disney

V1:
http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-X-Men-1-2pc/dp/B001QIVEVE?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1232919338&sr=1-2

V2:
http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-X-Men-2-Disc-Iona-Morris/dp/B001QIVEVO/ref=pd_bxgy_d_img_b

Episode Guide:

VOLUME 1

Disc 1
Night of the Sentinels (Part 1)
Night of the Sentinels (Part 2)
Enter Magneto
Deadly Reunions
Captive Hearts
Cold Vengeance
Slave Island
The Unstoppable Juggernaut

Disc 2
The Cure
Come The Apocalypse
Days Of Future Past (Part 1)
Days Of Future Past (Part 2)
The Final Decision
Till Death Do Us Part (Part 1)
Till Death Do Us Part (Part 2)
Whatever It Takes

VOLUME 2

Disc 1
Red Dawn
Repo Man
X-Ternally Yours
Time Fugitives (Part 1)
Time Fugitives (Part 2)
A Rogue's Tale
Beauty & The Beast
Mojo Vision

Disc 2
Reunion (Part 1)
Reunion (Part 2)
Out of the Past (Part 1)
Out of the Past (Part 2)
The Phoenix Saga (Part 1): Sacrifice
The Phoenix Saga (Part 2): The Dark Shroud
The Phoenix Saga (Part 3): Cry of the Banshee
The Phoenix Saga (Part 4): The Starjammers
The Phoenix Saga (Part 5): Child of Light

I'm a bit leery of picking these up, as Disney has a history of not completing series on DVD(see Gargoyles)

hey if you want I have all the X-men cartoons on my comp I can burn them for you Most are great quality and I won't kill you for 80 bucks.I also have X-men Evolution.I am trying to get the wolverine and the x-men now because it originally came out in 07 in England before coming to the states on nicktoons

[quote name='Gden']So, its season 1 and half of season 2 and 3?[/QUOTE]

The first set is all of season one, and the first three episodes of season two. The second set is the rest of season two, and the first seven episodes of season three.

Color me impressed, I figured they'd just be random episodes again!

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']The first set is all of season one, and the first three episodes of season two. The second set is the rest of season two, and the first seven episodes of season three.

Color me impressed, I figured they'd just be random episodes again![/QUOTE]

Those are in order, aren't they? Well played, Disney...well played.

[quote name='PR Mega X']Those are in order, aren't they? Well played, Disney...well played.[/quote]

Yes they are.

To be fair, I believe the airing of episodes out of order didn't occur until after the Phoenix Saga.

[quote name='manthing']Yes they are.

To be fair, I believe the airing of episodes out of order didn't occur until after the Phoenix Saga.[/quote]

Right, the episode that was supposed to air after the Phoenix saga, didn't air until 2 years later.

Thankz for the update guys. Must buy! Can't wait till April...if Disney never releases the rest of it, still a must buy. It's about time. Wonder if Spiderman will be next...."Raaaaadiiiioooooactiveeeee Spiderrrrrrrrrrmmmmaaannn..." LOL

18 dollars a set and there's that many episodes a volume? Great price, I'll give these a pre-order. They could have marked it a lot higher than this and got people to buy.

[quote name='ashe_Darkthorne']hey if you want I have all the X-men cartoons on my comp I can burn them for you Most are great quality and I won't kill you for 80 bucks.I also have X-men Evolution.I am trying to get the wolverine and the x-men now because it originally came out in 07 in England before coming to the states on nicktoons[/QUOTE]

Wrong. The show debuted in the UK in January, just like the US.

Canada started running episodes in the fall.

The show was in pre-production in 2007. Fail.

Ok then "Fail" if that is the case then why do I have a friend who is coming down to visit bringing the entire season for me on DVD that he picked up from a comic shop in his home state?As usual someone tries to make themselves know all when in actuality they don't.I don't claim to know all but I know what I have coming.

[quote name='ashe_Darkthorne']Ok then "Fail" if that is the case then why do I have a friend who is coming down to visit bringing the entire season for me on DVD that he picked up from a comic shop in his home state?As usual someone tries to make themselves know all when in actuality they don't.I don't claim to know all but I know what I have coming.[/QUOTE]

Because, as MrNEWZ said, the show has been running in Canada since fall of last year. And your friend bought a bootleg DVD of it? Ahahahaa~

[quote name='dg7md']18 dollars a set and there's that many episodes a volume? Great price, I'll give these a pre-order. They could have marked it a lot higher than this and got people to buy.[/quote]

Probably a test run of sorts to see how many of them will sell. I'm cautiously optimistic about it, but this could go the way of the Gargoyles set.

[quote name='Rafael122']Probably a test run of sorts to see how many of them will sell. I'm cautiously optimistic about it, but this could go the way of the Gargoyles set.[/quote]

I never bought the Gargoyles DVDs but at least they released most of the series out in sequential order, so even if they don't release the rest of X-Men at least there's something out there.

Same thing about King of the Hill, but some episodes > no episodes.

[quote name='darkcrawlspace']They changed the package art for both volumes of the upcoming X-Men DVD releases, and I think they're a lot better.[/QUOTE]

Thank god. The previous cover to the second set was an absolute abomination.

bread's done
Back