XBL DotW Sales 2013 | 1/1 EA SPORTS (Gold) | MORE! | Now-Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='biledriver']Unparalleled? You're exaggerating. I saw way more excitement in this thread over the unannounced Back to School sale, quite frankly.[/QUOTE]

Seconded. This was a pretty good sale but it has been trumped easily, even this year.

[quote name='CAiNiACprime']If I pick up PackMan CE is there any reason for me to still grab PacMan and Mrs as well or should I just pass on those.[/QUOTE]

Nostalgia, achievements. CE puts a slightly different spin on things but is a sufficient source for a Pac-Man fix, IMO. You could always go with the Namco arcade compilation disc, which if I remember correctly includes all of these.

I just finished playing the Gotham City Impostors trial (it gives you 60 minutes in matches and you can play the tutorial and challenges without it deducting time) and enjoyed it quite a bit. I set it for DL yesterday but didn't get around to playing it until now. If it goes on sale again for 600 MSP or less I'll probably buy it. The only thing is it would be preferable to have friends to play it with like any shooter and I haven't seen any on my list play it. I got to level 10 when the trial ended and got 8-10 games in during that time since I played each of the 4 game modes at least twice.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']Nostalgia, achievements. CE puts a slightly different spin on things but is a sufficient source for a Pac-Man fix, IMO. You could always go with the Namco arcade compilation disc, which if I remember correctly includes all of these.[/QUOTE]

I keep getting these confused as well. the CE we speak of is CE DX (the one that's on sale for 400). The standard Pac-Man released is the Championship Edition, I believe (the one that's 200).

The latter is also on the Sega Superstars Tennis/XBLA Comp Disc which came with a lot of Arcade consoles. If you can find it in store at Gamestop, it's $2.99

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/ga...is-xbox-live-arcade-compilation-2-discs/76689

Not a bad deal if you don't mind loading the disc to play them as it comes with Feeding Frenzy, Boom Boom Rocket, Uno, Luxor 2 and the Pac-Man.

CE DX is CE taken to the most ridiculous degree. I don't think either replace Pac-Man specifically but they are great games and definitely different enough that it is worth doubling up.

Gotham City Impostors went Free To Play on PC. I rather like it, hell, I like it a lot but it has not received the stability patches it needs.

Kind of bummed GTA4 is on sale I was hoping for maybe RED DEAD or BIOSHOCK 2 DLC to be on sale that would really put some spin on things

I might have to go for GTA IV since I was kind of interested in getting the complete edition that was on sale this weekend, but I didn't want to commit to a disc-based copy. I'm surprised that Rockstar never dropped the price of the other DLC to $10 like the first expansion.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I might have to go for GTA IV since I was kind of interested in getting the complete edition that was on sale this weekend, but I didn't want to commit to a disc-based copy. I'm surprised that Rockstar never dropped the price of the other DLC to $10 like the first expansion.[/QUOTE]
Thats funny, I always thought making a commitment was toward a digital copy. You can trade/sell the physical disc, but never with DLC/GoD

[quote name='harry hood']Thats funny, I always thought making a commitment was toward a digital copy. You can trade/sell the physical disc, but never with DLC/GoD[/QUOTE]
It's a commitment to only being able to play it when the disc is in instead of being able to play it whenever I feel like it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's a commitment to only being able to play it when the disc is in instead of being able to play it whenever I feel like it.[/QUOTE]
I cant imagine it takes more than 15 seconds tops to put a game in the cd tray.

anyway, to each his own

[quote name='harry hood']I cant imagine it takes more than 15 seconds tops to put a game in the cd tray.

anyway, to each his own[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but I'm much more prone to play something that I can load up at any given time. If I buy a game, chances are it'll stay sealed until I clear out some of my backlog. Having it available immediately gives it a higher priority.

[quote name='pyoobez']I keep getting these confused as well. the CE we speak of is CE DX (the one that's on sale for 400). The standard Pac-Man released is the Championship Edition, I believe (the one that's 200).[/QUOTE]

Augh... too much Pac-Man!

I bought South Park at the last minute this morning. it will probably sit in my backlog until friends come over for some gaming (which is pretty rare). At least it will be on hand for when that time comes.

I'm one of the six people who doesn't really care for GTA IV, and I didn't care for the Deadliest Warrior demos, so I'm looking to go the next two weeks without having to purchase anything. Here's to hoping the Ubisoft sale sucks too. Apart from I Am Alive, I don't think there's anything of theirs on my XBLA want list.

[quote name='seppuku']I'm one of the six people who doesn't really care for GTA IV,[/QUOTE]

Seven. GTA was better before III. Another good example of a franchise that didn't need to go 3D, but did just because they could. I miss the classic GTAs.. (Not that I hate the new ones mind you, they just get old fast and feel like rehashes with each new game.)

Pac-Man CE DX is a top ten XBLA game for sure. This coming from a guy who HATES Pac-Man. I heard such great things about the game so I tried the demo and I flipped my fuck for it. I still don't like any other Pac-Man games but man that one blew me away. Absolutely worth it even at full price.

I am also hoping that Ubisoft's sale includes From Dust for a good price. I'll bite for 400, but I will hesitate at 600. Anything above that is an instant pass...

It may just be me, but for what it's worth, Pac-Man CE DX is my favorite Pac-Man game ever hands-down. Only wish it was a little harder to 100%, but if I ever have a Pac-Man itch I'd go straight to it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's a commitment to only being able to play it when the disc is in instead of being able to play it whenever I feel like it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='harry hood']I cant imagine it takes more than 15 seconds tops to put a game in the cd tray.

anyway, to each his own[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Tsel']Agreed, but I'm much more prone to play something that I can load up at any given time. If I buy a game, chances are it'll stay sealed until I clear out some of my backlog. Having it available immediately gives it a higher priority.[/QUOTE]

As far as I can tell, Frisky is a big fan of digital copies of full retail games. I personally can't stand them, but like harry said, to each their own. $10 for a GoD game is a pretty good price, I'm glad to see that MS is starting to drop them down to that price a little bit more frequently.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Seven. GTA was better before III. Another good example of a franchise that didn't need to go 3D, but did just because they could. I miss the classic GTAs.. (Not that I hate the new ones mind you, they just get old fast and feel like rehashes with each new game.)[/QUOTE]

Eight. However I think that 3D GTA's are way better than the 2D ones. I personally feel the series peaked at Vice City, but everyone has their own opinion.

As for GTA IV, I find that a lot of people who didn't play it near release don't really enjoy it. I didn't try it until at least a couple years after release, and only got half way through it because it got incredibly boring and repetitive.

[quote name='JiveT']Kind of bummed GTA4 is on sale I was hoping for maybe RED DEAD or BIOSHOCK 2 DLC to be on sale that would really put some spin on things[/QUOTE]

This is my kind of sarcasm. I do mean that.

For some reason I thought only the GTA IV DLC was on sale but the Games on Demand version is also on sale for $9.99 or you can buy it for 800 MSP if you click the X button during purchase for those who don't know :p

I've also felt that buying a digital copy was a greater commitment but the observation about accessibility is an interesting and true one. We allow our backlogs to grow regardless.

Everyone keeps talking about wanting From Dust to go on sale. I'm positive I got it on sale awhile back. Maybe they missed it or wanted a greater discount.

[quote name='tylerh1701']As far as I can tell, Frisky is a big fan of digital copies of full retail games. I personally can't stand them, but like harry said, to each their own. $10 for a GoD game is a pretty good price, I'm glad to see that MS is starting to drop them down to that price a little bit more frequently.[/QUOTE]
I would probably buy a GoD at the right price, but i would be very particular. Definitely not a single player game that wont get much more than 1 playthrough or a multiplayer shooter with new iterations prone to come out. GTAIV would be a good choice, as its an expansive game with a big open world, but with the new one coming out, I probably wouldn't.

It would probably have to be a game that has unbelievable longevity. Civ Revolutions for instance. The Orange Box would be another good one (sort of breaking my rule here).

[quote name='Juice el Savior']Here is where you guys come in... which Sega fighter am i grabbing? I dont think i need VF2 yet, and i have NEVER played Sonic Fighters or Fighting Vipers (or Megamixx... here is hoping it gets dropped one day). What are the major differences of SF and FV, do they still hold up enough to merit a purchase with replay value? If not maybe i should start saving up for the 12 days sale...[/QUOTE]

Fighting Vipers is deeper and more complex. But Sonic the Fighters has Sonic and friends! Plus the very cool addition of a previously incomplete character. Me, I'd buy Sonic first due to loving Sonic, but otherwise FV is the way to go.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']Seconded. This was a pretty good sale but it has been trumped easily, even this year.[/QUOTE]

I meant the number of things on sale. Did the BtS sale really have more stuff on sale than we had last week?

[quote name='KanYozakura']Absolutely pathetic that GTAIV stuff is on sale again...really MS? Who the fuck doesn't have this DLC already?[/QUOTE]
Still waiting on 400 price point...

[quote name='bardockkun']Still waiting on 400 price point...[/QUOTE]

Haha! Me too. I have the CE from forever ago and maybe played an hour or so of the main story. I figure at some point I'll get the DLC and trek back through it.

[quote name='MagmaOasis']I really hope I Am Alive and Trials Evolution get discounted for 600 each. That would make my week.[/QUOTE]

I am Alive was on sale last week so I wouldn't hold my breath until MAYBE the Christmas/New Years sale.

[quote name='tylerh1701']...However I think that 3D GTA's are way better than the 2D ones. I personally feel the series peaked at Vice City, but everyone has their own opinion...[/QUOTE]
I share this opinion, Vice City remains my favorite GTA game without question. I still have the soundtrack's 7 CD boxed set that I found sealed in a Gamestop clearance bin for $10-$15 a few years back in one of my best CAG-like moments. \\:D/

[quote name='tylerh1701']As for GTA IV, I find that a lot of people who didn't play it near release don't really enjoy it. I didn't try it until at least a couple years after release, and only got half way through it because it got incredibly boring and repetitive.[/QUOTE]

I bought the special edition at launch but actually didn't bother to fire it up until a few weeks ago. I didn't have a strong interest in open-world games like that at the time, but Saints Row the Third and Sleeping Dogs turned me on to them. They made a few leaps ahead that GTA IV lacks, and it hinders the experience for me... it is fun but it can occasionally feel plodding. I'll probably turn back to it after I break my newfound RB Blitz addiction and wrap up a few other unfinished titles.

[quote name='eastx']I meant the number of things on sale. Did the BtS sale really have more stuff on sale than we had last week?[/QUOTE]

You're probably right about it having more things on sale. Hell, I don't doubt it was one of the biggest sales in terms of quantity that MS has run, perhaps even the biggest. The assortment left a little to be desired though. Why would the main sale whoop the shit out of the one-day deals? I've complained about it too much already (I'm not really that upset... promise!) but it boggles the mind.

[quote name='Cleaner7']Everyone keeps talking about wanting From Dust to go on sale. I'm positive I got it on sale awhile back. Maybe they missed it or wanted a greater discount.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing; either every time or almost every time it's been marked down, it's only been 33% off. As many times as it's been discounted and as old as it is, I think us XBLA shoppers with an absurd sense of entitlement ;) are due at least a 50% cut. 400 MSP would be excellent, though.

I want Mark of the Ninja and Deadlight and Karateka to go on sale. Though that'll probably take forever and a day.

[quote name='tylerh1701']As far as I can tell, Frisky is a big fan of digital copies of full retail games for a cheap price. I personally can't stand them, but like harry said, to each their own. $10 for a GoD game is a pretty good price, I'm glad to see that MS is starting to drop them down to that price a little bit more frequently.

As for GTA IV, I find that a lot of people who didn't play it near release don't really enjoy it. I didn't try it until at least a couple years after release, and only got half way through it because it got incredibly boring and repetitive.[/QUOTE]
I'm still disappointed that interest in digital retail games = laziness around here with the 15 second remark. I'm interested in them at prices that really removes the pros that generally come with a physical copy of that game (resale) because games at that price have such a small resale value that I just keep them around to save me the hassle. At this point, we all know the pros and cons of both sides, so it shouldn't even turn into a discussion anymore.

I played GTA IV at launch and the bank robbery mission was the thing that killed the game for me due to the lack of checkpoints for such a long mission, but I've heard enough good stuff about the expansions that I'd like to check them out. From what I can see, there's no GoD verison of Episodes of Liberty City, which would probably be what I'd rather have so I can skip the nonsense that was GTA IV. That seems like a big oversight for Rockstar/MS. It is on PSN, so maybe I'll wait to see what happens there rather than pay $25 for the entire package when I'd rather just have what the DLC offers.

Hey Gamers-
Has anyone downloaded and have experience playing the GOD for the week "Warriors : Legends of Troy" ? It's $29.99 or 2400 MSPs.
It sucks the actual game disc isn't available in the U.S., and I just hate having such a large game like this on my hard drive. (Almost 6GB) And yes, I have a few 32GB USB drives I picked up from Newegg's sale from this weekend, and I already had some 16GB drives on hand.
I'm not concerned about the points, not the issue in the least, because I racked up BIG TIME over this BF weekend with the 1600MSP price matching. And purchasing the game would sorta be like getting it for half price anyway from the asking price.

I've looked at a few video reviews on Youtube, and I just haven't been swayed to pull the trigger to purchase, and then again, I haven't had the feeling to completely walk away from it. AAccck, why couldn't a physical copy be available in the U.S. !!! At least give me a demo Microsoft....geesh !!

Thanks for any insights and opinions you all have....appreciate it.

[quote name='Tarheel76']Hey Gamers-
Has anyone downloaded and have experience playing the GOD for the week "Warriors : Legends of Troy" ? It's $29.99 or 2400 MSPs.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know it was coming to Games on Demand. That's great news. Yeah, cheaper would be nicer, but like you said, $30 beats the cost of importing it. Even the US PS3 version still retails for $40.

[quote name='aaronrodgers']Most these sales are a joke. It's why I mainly wait until the end of the year specials anyway.[/QUOTE]

Ive never really bought anything from Live at the end of the year. How good are the sales at that time.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']Nostalgia, achievements. CE puts a slightly different spin on things but is a sufficient source for a Pac-Man fix, IMO. You could always go with the Namco arcade compilation disc, which if I remember correctly includes all of these.[/QUOTE]
You're mostly right ... Pac-Man & Ms. Pac-Man are both on the Namco Museum disc, which can be had for $16.99 @ Newegg, and includes not just those 2, but 9 full XBLA titles, including:
  • Galaga Legions
  • Pac-Man Championship Edition (not DX)
  • Mr. Driller Online
  • Pac-Man
  • Galaga
  • Xevious
  • New Rally-X
  • Dig Dug
  • Ms. Pac-Man
... along with 25 other "museum classics" with emulated ROM's (rather than re-architected as native 360 games) ... which is a shame, because I REALLY love Super Pac-Man. :whistle2:(

With that said, a disc with 1800 GS for the equivalent of 1360 MSP is a true bargain, and you'd be crazy to hand Microsoft 400 MSP for the older 2 ROM's. As for Pac-Man CE, it's more of a personal choice whether the DX upgrades are worth 400 MSP more, and though I've enjoyed the differences between the 2, they're really not that considerable in core-gameplay.

Done in the OP, including adding the above info for S&S+, so have at it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Super Pac-Man too! I'd have totally bought it as an XBLA game.

Still, Pac-Man CE DX does feel significantly different from CE. It has way more content, for one thing. They're both worth buying IMO.

[quote name='Cornelius']You're mostly right ... Pac-Man & Ms. Pac-Man are both on the Namco Museum disc, which can be had for $16.99 @ Newegg, and includes not just those 2, but 9 full XBLA titles, including:
  • Galaga Legions
  • Pac-Man Championship Edition (not DX)
  • Mr. Driller Online
  • Pac-Man
  • Galaga
  • Xevious
  • New Rally-X
  • Dig Dug
  • Ms. Pac-Man
... along with 25 other "museum classics" with emulated ROM's (rather than re-architected as native 360 games) ... which is a shame, because I REALLY love Super Pac-Man. :whistle2:(
[/QUOTE]

Save your pennies, & pick up a preowned copy from Best Buy for $9.99 w/ free shipping. I picked it up last year when they offered B2G2 which I had never seen them do before. Disc, original case & manual in great shape. If you don't want to take your chances of them selling out before they have another preowned sale, then make your move now!!
After all........ we are CHEAP ASSES aren't we ?! :)
$9.99 is better than $16.99 right ?!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Namco+M...76100&skuId=1098504&st=Namco arcade&lp=1&cp=1

[quote name='Tarheel76']$9.99 is better than $16.99 right ?![/QUOTE]
Much better ... GameStop is still asking $19.99, which is why I went searching on new disc prices, but yes, no point in getting it new, since there's no codes or DLC in the package!

BTW, I'm in the OP now, so check back in 30 minutes. :)

[quote name='KanYozakura']Absolutely pathetic that GTAIV stuff is on sale again...really MS? Who the fuck doesn't have this DLC already?[/QUOTE]

I don't have it digitally, and GTA is probably my most owned/bought game ever.

Originally bought the Collector's Edition, traded it, bought the standard, traded it, bought Episodes, traded, bought Complete, traded, bought Complete, traded

Everybody keeps thinking that I Am Alive could be on sale for the Ubisoft sale and so do I, even though it was just on sale.
but does everybody remember when the L.A.Noire dlc was on sale then the next week there was a sale for the season pass.
The same thing could happen here.

I have a question about GTA4.
I have the standard disc and the separate disc with the dlc.
Do i have to change discs or does it download? and I am not talking about the complete edition.

I have another question about the complete edition that I bought as a gift for someone. Is the dlc for this on redeem codes or does it get downloaded from the disc like in borderlands?

EDIT: Anybody know where the thread is where you can get cheap msp?
trying to seach for the post but i that comes up is the trading forum posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a feeling we won't have great deals until the countdown to the new year. Isn't that when the SoA games usually go on sale? I want Dust.

[quote name='Tarheel76']Save your pennies, & pick up a preowned copy from Best Buy for $9.99 w/ free shipping. I picked it up last year when they offered B2G2 which I had never seen them do before. Disc, original case & manual in great shape. If you don't want to take your chances of them selling out before they have another preowned sale, then make your move now!!
After all........ we are CHEAP ASSES aren't we ?! :)
$9.99 is better than $16.99 right ?!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Namco+M...76100&skuId=1098504&st=Namco arcade&lp=1&cp=1[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I picked one up. Have RZ and silver membership, so it was $8.99 shipped + tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back