XBL DotW Sales 2013 | 1/1 EA SPORTS (Gold) | MORE! | Now-Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the negative reviews on Naughty Bear. Reminds me of Monsters, Inc. for the PS1 but worse.

I'll probably purchase Plants vs. Zombies and see if Nuts and Bolts goes on sale at a good price then I'll be done.

I haven't played Ms. Splosion Man but I have the first one. Never finished it, but it's a solid funny platformer. If you liked Splosion Man, you would be doing yourself a disservice not picking up Ms. Splosion Man for 400msp. Mrs. Splosion Man improved from the first and is better reviewed, I believe. Just my two cents, as they say.

Oh, and Merry Christmas everybody. Or whichever you celebrate. Go Holidays.

Updated the OP with the DOTW and countdown changes. Were there just the 2 Scratch & Match losers this week?

What is the win condition for the Scratch & Match? Do all 9 images have to be the same, or get 3 in a row Tic-Tac-Toe style?

[quote name='dark_inchworm']I expected them to put up an underwhelming DOTW, and boy howdy did they exceed expectations.

Naughty Bear: Panic in Paradise Metascore: 47
Backbreaker: Vengeance Metascore: 66
Deep Black: Episode 1 Metascore: 47
Wrecked: Revenge Revisited Metascore: 57

I may demo some/all of them, but ouch.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Chrono Gear']They may be terrible games, but at least it's almost entirely new content on sale this week. Works for me. I'd be in for a couple of them if they were 400 or less but 600 is a pass.[/QUOTE]

What Chrono said. 3 of the 4 games on sale this week are first time sales. Even though the games are all of questionable quality, it's still a far better sale than a Rockstar DLC sale for the millionth time.

[quote name='Shifty Effect']I haven't played Ms. Splosion Man but I have the first one. Never finished it, but it's a solid funny platformer. If you liked Splosion Man, you would be doing yourself a disservice not picking up Ms. Splosion Man for 400msp. Mrs. Splosion Man improved from the first and is better reviewed, I believe. Just my two cents, as they say.

Oh, and Merry Christmas everybody. Or whichever you celebrate. Go Holidays.[/QUOTE]

Ms. Splosion Man is one of the better games on XBLA. It's challenging as fuck though.

I'm surprised in myself, I just bought the 3 Fruit Ninja DLCs that have achievements. Couldn't pass on them for 80 MSP I guess, and I just got another 1600 MSP card for Xmas, so I'm so stocked up it's crazy, especially since there are maybe only 5 XBLA games available now that I'm actually interested in and don't have.

I'm interested in Rock of Ages. I thought it was a music game or something but its not, it's more of a strategy game slash bowling hehe.

[quote name='D0RC']I'm interested in Rock of Ages. I thought it was a music game or something but its not, it's more of a strategy game slash bowling hehe.[/QUOTE]

Once you get past the first 4 or 5 levels it becomes damn near impossible.

[quote name='Shifty Effect']I haven't played Ms. Splosion Man but I have the first one. Never finished it, but it's a solid funny platformer. If you liked Splosion Man, you would be doing yourself a disservice not picking up Ms. Splosion Man for 400msp. Mrs. Splosion Man improved from the first and is better reviewed, I believe. Just my two cents, as they say.

Oh, and Merry Christmas everybody. Or whichever you celebrate. Go Holidays.[/QUOTE]
How can you give Ms. Splosion man such a glowing recommendation but haven't tried it. I found it to be frustratingly difficult quickly. Especially some of the zip line sequences which often had me replaying the checkpoint multiple times until I could remember the sequence of events.

Can anyone weigh in on the difficulty of splosion man in comparision? I thought Ms. Splosion man had a lot of charm but it was too frustrating for me. I don't enjoy the trigger finger button jumping platformers anymore (and yes I grew up in the nintendo age completing the original super mario brothers).

[quote name='Blaster man']Once you get past the first 4 or 5 levels it becomes damn near impossible.[/QUOTE]

How about local splitscreen multiplayer, is tat fun? I'm thinking about getting fun local multiplayer games.

How was Wrecked on sale before? I purchased it back in October (checked my purchase history), yet when I check its product page it doesn't show that I purchased it. Was it one of the scratch and win sales? Or, was it a normal sale from the dashboard? I've never seen something I have purchased come up as not purchased before.

[quote name='mistermoravec']How was Wrecked on sale before? I purchased it back in October (checked my purchase history), yet when I check its product page it doesn't show that I purchased it. Was it one of the scratch and win sales? Or, was it a normal sale from the dashboard? I've never seen something I have purchased come up as not purchased before.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it was in the Sales and Specials app.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']I'm pretty sure it was in the Sales and Specials app.[/QUOTE]

They need to get that fixed so people don't rebuy things. I am glad I remembered that I had it.

[quote name='Bloomy']What is the win condition for the Scratch & Match? Do all 9 images have to be the same, or get 3 in a row Tic-Tac-Toe style?[/QUOTE]

3 in a row, Tic-Tac-Toe style.

[quote name='MindVortex']3 in a row, Tic-Tac-Toe style.[/QUOTE]

Has anyone ever won, or even know someone who has won the "scratch n match" thingy?

[quote name='WonkyToad']Has anyone ever won, or even know someone who has won the "scratch n match" thingy?[/QUOTE]
There's been a few people in these threads posting that they won. It's not all that common though. Keep trying.

[quote name='tylerh1701']What Chrono said. 3 of the 4 games on sale this week are first time sales. Even though the games are all of questionable quality, it's still a far better sale than a Rockstar DLC sale for the millionth time.[/QUOTE]

I can and do appreciate the notion, but the timing leaves a lot to be desired. In the middle of a sales drought, I might actually exhibit the faintest signs of excitement. Smackdab in the middle of a far superior sale open to everyone, though?

[quote name='dark_inchworm']I can and do appreciate the notion, but the timing leaves a lot to be desired. In the middle of a sales drought, I might actually exhibit the faintest signs of excitement. Smackdab in the middle of a far superior sale open to everyone, though?[/QUOTE]

it's not like people wouldn't have complained if we got rehashes. it's better this way imo

I've never bought anything from this scratch and win stuff but just bought Ms. Splosion Man because I missed out on it being this cheap before. When I view the game on the marketplace though it says I don't own it, but it is viewed as being purchased in my history. Is this a common thing?

[quote name='kidrocklive']I've never bought anything from this scratch and win stuff but just bought Ms. Splosion Man because I missed out on it being this cheap before. When I view the game on the marketplace though it says I don't own it, but it is viewed as being purchased in my history. Is this a common thing?[/QUOTE]

I think you have to wait for 12 hours or so for it to update.

[quote name='ooga']I think you have to wait for 12 hours or so for it to update.[/QUOTE]

Oh ok that's good to know. I was afraid it was going to be like when you purchase something through EA's service but not on xbl that you could still purchase it twice through xbl. Thanks.

[quote name='kidrocklive']I've never bought anything from this scratch and win stuff but just bought Ms. Splosion Man because I missed out on it being this cheap before. When I view the game on the marketplace though it says I don't own it, but it is viewed as being purchased in my history. Is this a common thing?[/QUOTE]

I own Ms. Splosion Man (got in on that sale you mentioned) but I was interested in picking up the original for the same price, but have heard horror stories about buying through this app. Might just avoid it and save my points for the upcoming sales.

[quote name='gotdott']it's not like people wouldn't have complained if we got rehashes. it's better this way imo[/QUOTE]

They could have marked Minecraft down to 400 and given out Blops 2 for free and there would still be complaints. :)

[quote name='mistermoravec']How was Wrecked on sale before? I purchased it back in October (checked my purchase history), yet when I check its product page it doesn't show that I purchased it. Was it one of the scratch and win sales? Or, was it a normal sale from the dashboard? I've never seen something I have purchased come up as not purchased before.[/QUOTE]

They gave it away for free one day.

[quote name='irafreak']How can you give Ms. Splosion man such a glowing recommendation but haven't tried it. I found it to be frustratingly difficult quickly. Especially some of the zip line sequences which often had me replaying the checkpoint multiple times until I could remember the sequence of events.

Can anyone weigh in on the difficulty of splosion man in comparision? I thought Ms. Splosion man had a lot of charm but it was too frustrating for me. I don't enjoy the trigger finger button jumping platformers anymore (and yes I grew up in the nintendo age completing the original super mario brothers).[/QUOTE]

To me, Splosion Man was slightly easier than Ms. Splosion Man, but not by much. If you didn't like Ms., I don't see any reason why you would like the original.

I like them both quite a bit for pretty much the exact reasons why you said you disliked them.

[quote name='Blade3D']They gave it away for free one day.[/QUOTE]

You're thinking of Wreckateer. Wrecked is some sort of vehicular something-or-other game. Yep, I know that little about it. Racing? Vehicular destruction? Both?

[quote name='dark_inchworm']They could have marked Minecraft down to 400 and given out Blops 2 for free and there would still be complaints. :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah but the dlc for blops is a rip. ;)

[quote name='gundamb0i']Is it multiplayer only?[/QUOTE]Nope. It has a great singleplayer mode. One of my favorite third person shooters.

[quote name='irafreak']How can you give Ms. Splosion man such a glowing recommendation but haven't tried it.[/QUOTE]

Because I am awesome? Obviously I'm joking, but as I stated before, If someone liked/loved/enjoyed Splosion man, then they should enjoy Ms. Splosion Man. Ms. Splosion Man is generally higher rated than it's predecessor and is very similar gameplay-wise. Thus, I would recommend Ms. Splosion Man to those people, especially for 400 msp, it's a no brainer.

[quote name='nadohawk']Anyone play Deep Black? Metacritic gives it an awful score, but I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts themselves.[/QUOTE]

It's fine, just nothing really interesting to me. Third person shooter, besides the guns you can use a grappel hook gun thingy with the enviroment, underwater based gameplay. The trial should give you a good sense on what to expect from it, gameplay wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dark_inchworm']I can and do appreciate the notion, but the timing leaves a lot to be desired. In the middle of a sales drought, I might actually exhibit the faintest signs of excitement. Smackdab in the middle of a far superior sale open to everyone, though?[/QUOTE]

Well I for one appreciate it regardless of timing. If there's something I want I'm going to buy it whether or not there are other things I'm also buying or not. I picked up Naughty Bear as I've been interested for a while. I'm not expecting top tier XBLA quality and I'm ok with that. Without this sale I would never have purchased it.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']You're thinking of Wreckateer. Wrecked is some sort of vehicular something-or-other game. Yep, I know that little about it. Racing? Vehicular destruction? Both?[/QUOTE]

Ya my bad, I missed that lol

[quote name='CAiNiACprime']I picked up Naughty Bear as I've been interested for a while. I'm not expecting top tier XBLA quality and I'm ok with that. Without this sale I would never have purchased it.[/QUOTE]

Have you played it at all? I want to like it (and buy it) but is pretty universally panned. Can you tell me if it pops up with an update when you boot it-I read its ripe with glitches.

[quote name='CAiNiACprime']Well I for one appreciate it regardless of timing. If there's something I want I'm going to buy it whether or not there are other things I'm also buying or not. I picked up Naughty Bear as I've been interested for a while. I'm not expecting top tier XBLA quality and I'm ok with that. Without this sale I would never have purchased it.[/QUOTE]

I feel ya. If I could turn the clock back to a time that I could burn through my wallet for MSP and not think twice, I'd feel the same. Sadly I gotta pick up my XBLA goodies with a bit more discretion now. With an extra 2400 points as of today, though, I can easily sweep up what few holiday sale titles remain for me and perhaps even pick up a 505 "classic" if I deem it worthy. I can't help wanting Panic in Paradise just a little bit...

[quote name='kidrocklive']Oh ok that's good to know. I was afraid it was going to be like when you purchase something through EA's service but not on xbl that you could still purchase it twice through xbl. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I purchased Raskulls from the Sales and Specials app a few months ago, and it still doesn't show up as purchased in the marketplace (i.e. I could purchase it again if I wasn't paying attention). So unless Microsoft has changed the app in this regard since I last bought something from it, S&S purchases are never reconciled with your default region in the marketplace.

[quote name='seppuku']So unless Microsoft has changed the app in this regard since I last bought something from it.[/QUOTE]

They have, it works fine now. Has for awhile.

Counter-Strike: GO is great for any fans of C-S, well worth 600

Well, I bought Wrecked from the sales app on 10/28 and it doesn't show as purchased in the marketplace, so it must have been fixed in the last 60 days.

[quote name='Blaster man']Once you get past the first 4 or 5 levels it becomes damn near impossible.[/QUOTE]
That's not really true at all. Once you get a solid strategy down, which isn't hard to do, it'll work for all of the levels. Outside of the boss fights it was a pretty easy game.

If anybody here wants to see Rock of Ages in action, here's a video I made to show off a few levels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfiOkYBGDuI

This is my favorite moment in Rock of Ages:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLLeLB7O1QU

[quote name='sicsonic']They have, it works fine now. Has for awhile.[/QUOTE]

Interesting... I wonder if they can retroactively fix my Raskulls...

After dealing with a long time Counter-Strike addiction on the PC, coming back and playing CS:Global Offensive on the Xbox felt weird. Or maybe it's my new addiction to Call of Duty that's left me with little taste for my old drug of choice.

Hydro Thunder Hurricane is one of those games I bought last time it was on sale and have only played it twice briefly. Since I've played so little I'm hesitant to pass judgement, but I'd buy it again for 400 msp (200 less than what I played). :)

I bought the other Trials HD DLC I didn't already own and passed on Trials Evolution with with the hope that the DLC would keep me occupied until Evo went on sale again. I'm kind of regretting that decision already, but if Trials HD is the precedent, I think Evolution will be on sale again soon enough.

I'm glad I passed on Rock of Ages all of those other times it was on sale. It's a definite buy at 200 msp though. The Leedmees demo was OK when i tried it a while ago, but I'm not sure if I'll ever play it even at only 200 msp.

[quote name='irafreak']How can you give Ms. Splosion man such a glowing recommendation but haven't tried it. I found it to be frustratingly difficult quickly. Especially some of the zip line sequences which often had me replaying the checkpoint multiple times until I could remember the sequence of events.

Can anyone weigh in on the difficulty of splosion man in comparision? I thought Ms. Splosion man had a lot of charm but it was too frustrating for me. I don't enjoy the trigger finger button jumping platformers anymore (and yes I grew up in the nintendo age completing the original super mario brothers).[/QUOTE]

Why don't you play it online? It supports up to four people, and as long as one of you makes it to a checkpoint, everyone who died gets respawned.

I get your frustrations with the game but it's funny because I'm always complaining about how there aren't enough challenging games out there, even less 2D ones.

[quote name='emwearz']Does anyone know if I create a us Microsoft account and get the walking dead, can I somehow play it on my AUS gamer tag?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Works with any non-AUS games too, such as Intel Discovered and Kinect Party.

[quote name='whitereflection']Why don't you play it online? It supports up to four people, and as long as one of you makes it to a checkpoint, everyone who died gets respawned.

I get your frustrations with the game but it's funny because I'm always complaining about how there aren't enough challenging games out there, even less 2D ones.[/QUOTE]
Co-op is a completely new campaign designed for multiple players.

I think the Splosion Man games have a great difficulty curve. There are very few extremely hard parts in either, but it's challenging enough that it's not a cakewalk like New Super Mario Bros.

[quote name='whitereflection']Why don't you play it online? It supports up to four people, and as long as one of you makes it to a checkpoint, everyone who died gets respawned.

I get your frustrations with the game but it's funny because I'm always complaining about how there aren't enough challenging games out there, even less 2D ones.[/QUOTE]
I think for me I like to run through a game and enjoy the experience and not so much the challenge anymore. Back in the day I made it through Super Ghouls N Ghosts on the SNES so I think my gaming style changed as I started enjoying more strategy gaming. Suddenly platforming seemed too tedious and my break from strategy needed to be more casual...that or gameshark spoiled me since my Saturn days :)

I still think it's a good game (ms splosion man) I just wanted to make sure there was a balance to all the "game X rules and everyone who doesn't buy it now on sale is missing out!!!!" comments that fly through here. I've been burned by those comments before.

Game is hard. But I enjoyed the humor and character so much that I did buy the Pinball fx2 table.

Naughty Bear game on sale? Forgot about that one even being released. I actually liked the first game. Nothing great, but I chuckled pretty regular. I'll get the XBLA game.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Co-op is a completely new campaign designed for multiple players.[/QUOTE]

I forgot about that. I actually found both games really boring in single player, but multiplayer is a riot. Like a rougher, coarser Rayman. It is hilarious. I played it with a friend and neither of us had mics, but the countdown button was very useful in letting you play the game in a pseudo-Journey way.

[quote name='sicsonic']They have, it works fine now. Has for awhile.

Counter-Strike: GO is great for any fans of C-S, well worth 600[/QUOTE]

Agreed. First XBLA title I spent more than 400 points on over the Live service...bought 1943 for more, but that was over eBay.

Have they fixed the private chat/party deal in Counterstrike yet?

Last time I played you couldn't even be in a chat or party in a private game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back