XBL DotW Sales 2013 | 1/1 EA SPORTS (Gold) | MORE! | Now-Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, coming up 800 MS points for me as well. I Got to admit it's tempting, but the backlog says I can wait for a sale as tempting as it is.

I was letdown by Retro City Rampage. I think it tried too hard to insert a bunch of game references in a "blink and you miss it" way, plus I grew tired of the gameplay.
IMO, Abobo's Big Adventure is better.

Meanwhile, I beat Spelunky for the second time. The best way to get through levels is to go down as often as you can (bombing floors when you can) and remember that exits are usually at the corner of the level.

BTW, this is my one year anniversary with Xbox 360 (and Xbox in general).

[quote name='Cage017']
Meanwhile, I beat Spelunky for the second time. The best way to get through levels is to go down as often as you can (bombing floors when you can) and remember that exits are usually at the corner of the level.[/QUOTE]

Congrats man, that makes me want to get back into Spelunky.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']Hey guys and girls, if you haven't got around to nabbing Kinect Party (and its Full Unlock DLC) or Walking Dead Ep. 1 for FREE, then you need to do that today. (with a few hours of forgiveness early into tomorrow, I'm sure)

Hold up, are you the same BUTTON_sMASHER that used to browse the Ultra Heavy Beat? :D I just came![/QUOTE]

Yup. Still see users from that forum on occasion IRL.

Think I might bite on Diabolical Pitch this time. I'm a sucker for dumb cheap kinect games.

[quote name='sicsonic']So frustrating to play online because of this, I refused to shoot all 3s like my online opponents so I was forced to play VERY cheap to get the online cheeves. LOL[/QUOTE]

Not to rub salt on the wounds or anything, but looking at your icon, Are the Seattle Supersonics in the game? An alternate jersey for OKC or something?

I remember NFL Blitz had the Browns as a hidden team, or alternate uni for the Ravens in 1998.

[quote name='aaronrodgers']Not to rub salt on the wounds or anything, but looking at your icon, Are the Seattle Supersonics in the game? An alternate jersey for OKC or something?

I remember NFL Blitz had the Browns as a hidden team, or alternate uni for the Ravens in 1998.[/QUOTE]

Actually, they are. And not a "secondary" jersey of OKC either. A "hidden" team with Kemp, Payton & Schrempf.

And I don't mind, soon there won't be much wounds for salt to be rubbed in. :p I stay positive every day about the future of a new team. I'm going OT now though.

[quote name='xbox_man']Retro City is out, but Australia does not get it. Australia screwed again.[/QUOTE]

The developer/creator said it's because it costs too much to put each version through the AUS rating system or something along those lines, but because mobile games in AUS use a more standard rating system, it can (has been already?) be released for Vita in AUS.

Sorry bud, a Vita's the way you'd have to go to play it.

[quote name='sicsonic']The developer/creator said it's because it costs too much to put each version through the AUS rating system or something along those lines, but because mobile games in AUS use a more standard rating system, it can (has been already?) be released for Vita in AUS.

Sorry bud, a Vita's the way you'd have to go to play it.[/QUOTE]

Ok, but Australia and New Zealand are the only places I have seen that are not getting it.
But what about other places in the world that have a smaller market than Australia, I bet they get it too.
Brazil is a smaller market that misses out on heaps of stuff and they get it.

[quote name='eastx']I am seriously tempted by NBA Jam: On Fire Edition. I guess it's unlikely to go on sale for 400 anytime soon? And can anyone comment on how difficult the Achievements are? How many people do you need present to complete an online Arena game?[/QUOTE]
The online part looks easy to boost. Just need two players, have one quit out after 30 seconds. Repeat 25 times. Wait a week and do it again.

[quote name='Cornelius']FYI, just updated the Xbox Rewards wiki with the new Lose Pounds, Gain Points promo, where if you spend 800 MSP on fitness DLC, they'll give you 100 MSP back ... plus 100 MSP more if you rack up 20 hours in the supported game list.[/QUOTE]
I don't like these Kinect based rewards, since I don't have one. Heck, even if I had, I surelly wouldn't have fitness games, so...

[quote name='xbox_man']Ok, but Australia and New Zealand are the only places I have seen that are not getting it.
But what about other places in the world that have a smaller market than Australia, I bet they get it too.
Brazil is a smaller market that misses out on heaps of stuff and they get it.[/QUOTE]

You can probably just create a US account and get some US or international (Bing) points to buy it. Don't blame the tiny game maker; blame your government's silly policies towards games.

[quote name='simmias']The online part looks easy to boost. Just need two players, have one quit out after 30 seconds. Repeat 25 times. Wait a week and do it again.[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks. I believe I can handle that. NBA Jam, you are bought!

[quote name='eastx']You can probably just create a US account and get some US or international (Bing) points to buy it. Don't blame the tiny game maker; blame your government's silly policies towards games.[/QUOTE]

yeah, most likely can do what you said on the American account.
Was not blaming the developer, that probably is the reason a lot of stuff does not get releases here as the classification ratings cost too much here. But he goes about cost and he is releasing it to brazil, which I have heard has a lot smaller marketplace than us, but then again our costs are probably way high.

yeah our government is stuffed when it comes to games. We only just got an r 18 rating introduced on the 1st January 2013.

[quote name='xbox_man']yeah, most likely can do what you said on the American account.
Was not blaming the developer, that probably is the reason a lot of stuff does not get releases here as the classification ratings cost too much here. But he goes about cost and he is releasing it to brazil, which I have heard has a lot smaller marketplace than us, but then again our costs are probably way high.

yeah our government is stuffed when it comes to games. We only just got an r 18 rating introduced on the 1st January 2013.[/QUOTE]

Brazil must use the same rating system as everywhere that's non-ESRB (non-US) though, and that's why he's (I say he because it's 1 guy as the whole company) able to release it there as well. He explained it better when people asked him this very question on his twitter.

[quote name='eastx']
Ah, thanks. I believe I can handle that. NBA Jam, you are bought![/QUOTE]

I did that during the summer. Word of warning though: matching up is randomized so it can be a bit of a pain. You have to go to online match hoping you get matched up with your friend. If you are not, then quit and repeat. It sucks at peak hours but it's definitely do-able.

[quote name='simmias']The online part looks easy to boost. Just need two players, have one quit out after 30 seconds. Repeat 25 times. Wait a week and do it again.[/QUOTE]

So much fun! ;) Stuff like this makes me think that Nintendo is right about achievements. But then sometimes achievements are fun.

[quote name='crunchewy']So much fun! ;) Stuff like this makes me think that Nintendo is right about achievements. But then sometimes achievements are fun.[/QUOTE]

There are definitely good and bad Achievements. Frankly, nobody likes the ones for winning X number of online games, especially when X is greater than 10. It gets even worse when the publisher might shut the servers down as EA loves to do. But like you said, some devs think of really creative ones that get you to play in fun ways or encourage you to try modes that you might otherwise overlook.

Wow Retro City Rampage for 800 Msp made it an instant buy.When I heard it was gonna be 1200 Msp I was on the fence of if I should wait until it goes on sale or buy it full price but 800 Msp is good enough for me.

[quote name='MetalMegaGio']Wow Retro City Rampage for 800 Msp made it an instant buy.When I heard it was gonna be 1200 Msp I was on the fence of if I should wait until it goes on sale or buy it full price but 800 Msp is good enough for me.[/QUOTE]

This. Even more so with the 800 MSP I got from Best Buy while buying 3 months of Gold for $12.99, making it nearly impossible to resist. Still have to check the trial, but I think I'll be pleased.

[quote name='MetalMegaGio']Wow Retro City Rampage for 800 Msp made it an instant buy.When I heard it was gonna be 1200 Msp I was on the fence of if I should wait until it goes on sale or buy it full price but 800 Msp is good enough for me.[/QUOTE]

YEah might end up grabbing it at 800 pts i'm glad to see the developers understood my side of the complaint and went with a lower price lol.

[quote name='Cage017']I was letdown by Retro City Rampage. I think it tried too hard to insert a bunch of game references in a "blink and you miss it" way, plus I grew tired of the gameplay. [/QUOTE]

This. The gameplay is super mediocre, and the references (while sometimes funny) aren't enough to save the game. Even at 800 MSP, I suggest that you guys wait for a sale. I paid $10 for it on the trade thread when it first game out for PSN, and I definitely feel like I paid too much.

It was a smart and fair move to go for the 800 MSP price point though.

[quote name='Deserter Goose']I'm going to barge in here for a sec and say that I was really surprised by how much fun I had with Toy Story 3. It wasn't the easiest game to 100%, but it wasn't difficult, and I actually enjoyed it til the very end. Ten bucks well spent.

This is coming from a 24 year old, by the way. Maybe I'm deranged, maybe not, but I'd say grab it if it goes on sale for cheap again (assuming that you haven't strangled your inner child to death yet).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's actually a surprisingly great game. I picked it up at Black Friday in 2011. I would imagine it's especially good if you have a kid or younger sibling to play co-op with.

[quote name='tylerh1701']This. The gameplay is super mediocre, and the references (while sometimes funny) aren't enough to save the game. Even at 800 MSP, I suggest that you guys wait for a sale. I paid $10 for it on the trade thread when it first game out for PSN, and I definitely feel like I paid too much.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how somebody could feel this way. Retro City Rampage works great as an 8-bit (ish) Grand Theft Auto, which it was always meant to be. Looks and sounds great, has loads of personality, and plays fine. Considering it was developed by an army of one (not counting sound, etc.), I find it easily worth $10.

[quote name='tylerh1701']This. The gameplay is super mediocre, and the references (while sometimes funny) aren't enough to save the game. Even at 800 MSP, I suggest that you guys wait for a sale. I paid $10 for it on the trade thread when it first game out for PSN, and I definitely feel like I paid too much.

It was a smart and fair move to go for the 800 MSP price point though.[/QUOTE]

Got it free on PS+, played it once on the Vita, and then tried the cross play on the PS3, and likely wont load it again. Just not fun, chaotic, annoying, don't get the hype behind this game.

[quote name='eastx']I don't know how somebody could feel this way. Retro City Rampage works great as an 8-bit (ish) Grand Theft Auto, which it was always meant to be. Looks and sounds great, has loads of personality, and plays fine. Considering it was developed by an army of one (not counting sound, etc.), I find it easily worth $10.[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree. I'm a sucker for references, and I think the game is fun. Even though it was made by 1 guy, it plays better than some full release games I've played. I like it and think it's worth $10, more so for the PS3, since you get cross-buy, but also for 360. But, to each their own, so if anyone thinks it looks at all interesting, check out the demo first.

[quote name='RiPPn']Got it free on PS+, played it once on the Vita, and then tried the cross play on the PS3, and likely wont load it again. Just not fun, chaotic, annoying, don't get the hype behind this game.[/QUOTE]
How do you not get the hype? It's Grand Theftendo!!!

Interested in NBA JAM, which the OP says is a sale for everyone. But clicking on it, it opens the xbox page where it appears the sale price is for gold members only?

[quote name='labrat34']Interested in NBA JAM, which the OP says is a sale for everyone. But clicking on it, it opens the xbox page where it appears the sale price is for gold members only?[/QUOTE]

Even though it's under the "open for everyone" section is clearly says that 600 MSP is the price for Gold Members. Confusing but yes the sale is gold only.

[quote name='eastx']I don't know how somebody could feel this way. Retro City Rampage works great as an 8-bit (ish) Grand Theft Auto, which it was always meant to be. Looks and sounds great, has loads of personality, and plays fine. Considering it was developed by an army of one (not counting sound, etc.), I find it easily worth $10.[/QUOTE]

I never played GTA 1 or 2 so I can't compare it to those games, but I know a lot of the missions in RCR felt like glorified fetch-quests. I found the in-game city to be rather boring, as you really can't do much in the game besides missions and side missions, and a few mini-games here or there. I found the actual combat extremely shallow as well.

I do agree, it is what it was meant to be. It's an 8-bit GTA-lite. But what it was meant to be just wasn't all that exciting, in my opinion.

[quote name='labrat34']Interested in NBA JAM, which the OP says is a sale for everyone. But clicking on it, it opens the xbox page where it appears the sale price is for gold members only?[/QUOTE]

Even though the XBLA portion of the EA sale doesn't fall under the DotW tile on the dashboard, it must still be part of the DotW. I've moved it in the OP, to avoid future confusion. You guys can move it back if you want, but I think common sense says that it's part of the DotW, even though the dashboard forgot to include it.

As for the OP, why the fuck does copying/pasting in IE change the colors of the links? Makes no fucking sense.

Judging by the demo, the humor in Retro City Rampage falls flat, and I think it's because it doesn't want to commit to its references, which comprise pretty much the beginning and end of all the jokes. The game just throws out references without rhyme or reason, and then makes cynical apologies for its use of references, as though the creator didn't have any better material but still wants to act like he's above such a base form of comedy.

[quote name='rapsodist']then makes cynical apologies for its use of references, as though the creator didn't have any better material but still wants to act like he's above such a base form of comedy.[/QUOTE]

Huh?

Just finished Walking Dead. Now I feel a bit guilty for not buying it full price. Fantastic writing and great voice work by the whole cast. Also I had no loading issues.

man people be hatin! it is what it is, gta 8 bit light-i love it. any other criticisms about gameplay and what not shouldnt shy people away from trying this-one guys passion project with a nostalgic milkshake. its one of those games that you will KNOW if youre going to buy it or not from playing the demo-give it a shot!

[quote name='bardockkun']Now I feel a bit guilty for not buying it full price. [/QUOTE]

Buy a second copy to easy that guilty conscience of yours.

[quote name='ooga']Buy a second copy to easy that guilty conscience of yours.[/QUOTE]
Whoa, whoa! I Said a bit. Let's not get crazy here! If anything I may buy season 2 without *gasps* waiting on a sale now!

[quote name='bardockkun']Whoa, whoa! I Said a bit. Let's not get crazy here! If anything I may buy season 2 without *gasps* waiting on a sale now![/QUOTE]
Same here. It was quite good. Not GOTY material for sure, but great at what it did. And the voice actor for Clementine was so good!

I did have my save erase going from chapter 3 to 4. After some swearing, I realized I'd backed it up and all was fine with the world again. Anyone starting this game now: don't use just one slot! Copy your save from slot 1 to slot 2 and 3 every once in a while. You'll be glad you did!

[quote name='Chrono Gear']So I'm having a frustrating issue with Fez and can't seem to find an answer online.

...There is a known glitch where if you save here and come back later you will have to unpatch the game to be able to continue. Perhaps I need to upatch the game again to get the door to open? I'll have to make a trip to my brother's house since he has my console ID if I do. :([/QUOTE]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't deleting your System Cache clear patches? I'm no expert on Fez bug-squashing, but I know that simply deleting the System Cache from the System >> Memory screen forces you to re-download updates when you boot games once again that already had updates. I would think that, if forced to "unpatch", you could simply disconnect... OH. I get what you were saying about console ID drm now. (I was thinking you meant that you were going to carry your save over there because your game was auto-patched even if you deleted the game files.)

Scratch that, but leaving it up there for people that aren't "sharing" their downloads. Oh who am I kidding, no one looks back through this thread. ;) Carry-on people....

[quote name='Sanges99']Someone correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't deleting your System Cache clear patches? I'm no expert on Fez bug-squashing, but I know that simply deleting the System Cache from the System >> Memory screen forces you to re-download updates when you boot games once again that already had updates. I would think that, if forced to "unpatch", you could simply disconnect... OH. I get what you were saying about console ID drm now. (I was thinking you meant that you were going to carry your save over there because your game was auto-patched even if you deleted the game files.)

Scratch that, but leaving it up there for people that aren't "sharing" their downloads. Oh who am I kidding, no one looks back through this thread. ;) Carry-on people....[/QUOTE]

By forced to unpatch the game I meant that you have to do that to return to the game. It's not required but rather a way to resume your game instead of starting over.

I didn't find an answer to my problem last night but I'm hoping that I was just overtired and did something wrong and being fresh tonight it'll magically work.

[quote name='bardockkun']Just finished Walking Dead. Now I feel a bit guilty for not buying it full price. Fantastic writing and great voice work by the whole cast. Also I had no loading issues.[/QUOTE]
Also finished it today, and I agree; it's a great game. The story is pretty good and so are the voice actors (specially Clementine, of course). I'm very glad I was able to buy it for 800 MSP, though, because what the hell, I'm not rich.

Didn't have problems with the save file (thanks God, because repeating a chapter or two would mean a lot of hours of things I already did/watched, though I could change my decisions). The only problem I had was some strange thing with a scene at the end of the third episode where they repeated (just one time) the first or two first words of all the sentences.

Although I enjoyed a lot the interactive serie I'm not sure I want to get the second season (if they do it) at release day, because I would die of impatience. I prefer purchasing all the serie in one go, so I can play it at my own pace (one episode per day). Besides, it's cheaper that way :D

PD: about Retro City Rampage, it's in my 400MSP radar, I won't pay more.

[quote name='E.Nich']The only problem I had was some strange thing with a scene at the end of the third episode where they repeated (just one time) the first or two first words of all the sentences.[/QUOTE]
Yup, I had the same issue. I also had the brightness issue a lot of people get where I had to keep going in to adjust it because it would get darker and darker every time I came back to the game.

I picked up 3 on 3 NHL Arcade. A lots of fun for just $2.50. If you love hockey then this is a must. I would of preferred to get it for ps3 because you can play up to 6 players locally but that damn psn price is still $9.99. I'll also get in for ps3 when on sale for $4.99 or less!

I tried out a bunch of the XBLA Smartglass games and they're all disappointing. They just offer links, control layout, and achievement lists on my Nexus 7, which seems more the barebones implementation that all games should have if they want to do it that way. I'd almost rather these games not have this stuff at all and see them have a more unique use of the tech (like the overworld map in Dust, lots more leaderboard info in Pinball FX2, and displaying objective info and blueprint trees in A World of Keflings) than what's there.

[quote name='Zonic505']That DLC for Doritos Crash Course is out today for 160 MSP. 10 additional levels, easier/alt. versions of the Japan levels, 3 achievements for 100G, and 2 avatar awards (DACC Helicopter for completing all Las Vegas levels & Union Jack Hat for beating the London levels). There's also a trial available if you want to try the DLC out before buying.[/QUOTE]

Considering how awesome CC is and it's free, I'm more than happy to throw $2 their way for more levels.

[quote name='Zonic505']That DLC for Doritos Crash Course is out today for 160 MSP. 10 additional levels, easier/alt. versions of the Japan levels, 3 achievements for 100G, and 2 avatar awards (DACC Helicopter for completing all Las Vegas levels & Union Jack Hat for beating the London levels). There's also a trial available if you want to try the DLC out before buying.[/QUOTE]

I think you had me at Union Jack Hat. I could wait for a sale on it but for 160msp I'm only out 80 if it does ever go on sale and 160 if it goes free for some reason. Super tempted even though I never finished the original game.

[quote name='E.Nich']

Didn't have problems with the save file (thanks God, because repeating a chapter or two would mean a lot of hours of things I already did/watched, though I could change my decisions). The only problem I had was some strange thing with a scene at the end of the third episode where they repeated (just one time) the first or two first words of all the sentences.
[/QUOTE]
Was it during
the scene where you started up the train and everyone was getting on board? Because I had the same problem at that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back