XBL DotW Sales 2013 | 1/1 EA SPORTS (Gold) | MORE! | Now-Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='labrat34']The price is right, but some of the reviews for Winterbottom are scaring me off with talk of the difficulty level. I am not a great puzzler... only got halfway thru Braid for example. Thoughts on the difficulty from those who have played it?[/QUOTE]

I actually didn't think the challenge level was that bad in Winterbottom, I didn't have to look up any solutions. But I guess to compare, I only had to look up the solution to one puzzle piece in Braid (still mad at myself that I couldn't figure it out). I have tons of experience with puzzle games even since my NES days, so maybe I'm not the best person to answer.

[quote name='fatboyjam']It was a mistake in the OP. 1600/$19.99 is the sale price, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

Same for Mafia II

Scarygirl is my pleasant surprise of the week. I'll have to throw that one into the pile of XBLA platformers I've amassed in just the last month. Man... I wanna blaze through them all now, but don't wanna dry the well up when I inevitably hit a dull spot in The Next Great Actually Kind of Not Great First Person Shooter Campaign.

Oh, who am I kidding. I have enough of a backlog to keep me entertained through the end of time.

The Mechromancer, Future Soldier DLC, and Pool Nation are appealing to me too, but I'll wait and see how I feel later in the week.

Is the 2K sale all week?

And the online for Future Soldier is pretty much dead, especially for the dlc maps, but this sale could change that but I would be hesitant.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Well, if I was a betting man, I would have lost money. I was almost sure that Major Nelson would have had the "Coming Soon" post up today. Anyway, he just tweeted he'll have one up for next week.[/QUOTE]

Right there with ya brother. Maybe he's on vacation with his hot super model girl friend? :lol:

Looks like I am going to pick up PB Winterbottom, Axel and Pixel and possibly the Ghost Recon: Raven Strike DLC (appears to be the only single player piece of DLC). Going to demo Pool Nation and Scarygirl.

My New Years Resolution should have been to play through my back log of XBLA titles.

[quote name='Royal High Knight']Right there with ya brother. Maybe he's on vacation with his hot super model girl friend? :lol:[/QUOTE]

He probably mistyped his last name too many times (transposed the "r" and "y") and locked up his account. ;)

[quote name='tylerh1701']SCARYGIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Herp. Derp. Herp. (Edit: Scarygirl was never free. It was Haunt. Thanks dark_inchworm.)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Monsta Mack']Wasn't this free at one point in the Kinect app when the Kinect app was first launched? Could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

wat??

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Wasn't this free at one point in the Kinect app when the Kinect app was first launched? Could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

You're thinking of Haunt, probably, which other than being "scary" isn't similar at all. But it's all good ;)

[quote name='Glass_Ghost_0']Is the 2K sale all week?

And the online for Future Soldier is pretty much dead, especially for the dlc maps, but this sale could change that but I would be hesitant.[/QUOTE]

Most sales do last all week (Tuesday to early the following Tuesday), so unless it's plainly stated otherwise somewhere, it seems like a safe assumption.

Sucks to hear about the Future Soldier MP - I rented the game a few weeks back and while I didn't get incredibly far in it, I thought the single-player experience was a blast. Different than what I'm used to, but fun! I hadn't played any of the Ghost Recon titles up to that point, neither the old ones on PC nor the newer iterations on 360. You know, for what it's worth.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']
Sucks to hear about the Future Soldier MP - I rented the game a few weeks back and while I didn't get incredibly far in it, I thought the single-player experience was a blast. Different than what I'm used to, but fun! I hadn't played any of the Ghost Recon titles up to that point, neither the old ones on PC nor the newer iterations on 360. You know, for what it's worth.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there was actually a movement on the official forums to make the DLC maps free, because the people who bought them couldn't play them

I had the borderlands goty edition and still have all the dlc from the second disk on my hard drive will it work with the Games on demand version?

[quote name='dark_inchworm']You're thinking of Haunt, probably, which other than being "scary" isn't similar at all. But it's all good ;)
.[/QUOTE]

Ah, that's it then.

[quote name='dabsac80']I had the borderlands goty edition and still have all the dlc from the second disk on my hard drive will it work with the Games on demand version?[/QUOTE]

I dont see why not. Its downloaded so yeah

[quote name='dabsac80']I had the borderlands goty edition and still have all the dlc from the second disk on my hard drive will it work with the Games on demand version?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Its the same as if you had the disc in. Nothing changes.

I picked up BL the first time its GoD dropped to $13 early last year. Just grabbed BL2 GoD during the Holiday sale. These are games that MUST be ready to load up at my slightest whim from my HD at a moments notice.

[quote name='fatboyjam']It was a mistake in the OP. 1600/$19.99 is the sale price, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]
Sorry about that ... I assumed the game was $20 MSRP, since the Dashboard said "$10.00 off". It's been fixed this morning that I've sucked in all the info from Spylon's xbldb recent scrape, plus added a little more info about "Mafia II Director's Cut". I'll be happy to add Metacritic & Quick Look links later this week, unless others have the time to burn. :)

[quote name='whitereflection']Axel & Pixel reminds me of this old computer game called The Neverhood. Is it anything like that?[/QUOTE]

Actually, that's a very good analogy ... you perform "hunt & click" actions upon a single-screen, and once you've "unlocked" everything, you move to the next screen. There's 3 "action" sequences that are a little more arcade-like, but they'll only frustrate you if you're trying for a good score/outcome. On a scale of 1-5 (1=easy, 5=hard), I'd say the puzzles are around 3-4, so you'll definitely enjoy it more than other "hunt & click / hidden object" types of games.

Giant Bomb has a Quick Look here ... http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-axel-pixel/17-1500/

Cornelius beat me to it, but...

Yes, it's like The Neverhood in that it's a point and click adventure, basically

No, it's not like it in that it doesn't have characters, places, and music that perfectly balance eerie, adorable, and hilarious. (Though Axel & Pixel is cute and weird in its own way)

Now you make me wish The Neverhood would hit XBLA, but that franchise is probably at the very bottom of the barrel as far as Microsoft's priorities are concerned. That and I'm pretty sure they never owned any rights beyond publishing rights.

looks like Mafia 2 is $19.99. not sure if it's discounted to that price or if it's been that price but that's what i see on the marketplace.

[quote name='godWhisperer']looks like Mafia 2 is $19.99. not sure if it's discounted to that price or if it's been that price but that's what i see on the marketplace.[/QUOTE]

According to xbldb.com, Mafia 2 is normally 19.99, so I would hold off on buying it for now, $10 off should make it 9.99 for the sale.

I recommend the game though, very good game.

[quote name='godWhisperer']looks like Mafia 2 is $19.99. not sure if it's discounted to that price or if it's been that price but that's what i see on the marketplace.[/QUOTE]

Noted in OP for both the GoD & "Jimmy's Vendetta" DLC.

[quote name='LordVila']Looks like I am going to pick up PB Winterbottom, Axel and Pixel and possibly the Ghost Recon: Raven Strike DLC (appears to be the only single player piece of DLC).[/QUOTE]

Good to know about "Raven Strike" ... added that info to the OP as well.

[quote name='wolverinefactor']when was scarygirl on sale previously???[/QUOTE]

It hasn't been, it's only had a price drop from 1200 to 800

[quote name='Glass_Ghost_0']It hasn't been, it's only had a price drop from 1200 to 800[/QUOTE]

It went onsale in the uk about a year ago.

[quote name='wolverinefactor']when was scarygirl on sale previously???[/QUOTE]
It was on sale in the UK around Easter last year. North America didn't get that sale. I remember seeing the Arkham City DLC discounted during that sale as well and being disappointed when we didn't get it. I knew it was only a matter of time and sure enough we got ours recently.

[quote name='jtron']Can anyone recommend the DLC for Bioshock 2?[/QUOTE]

From experience? No, not yet (still!). But the general consensus seems to be that Minerva's Den is an incredible single-player addition to the game. Can't really speak for the rest...

[quote name='dark_inchworm']From experience? No, not yet (still!). But the general consensus seems to be that Minerva's Den is an incredible single-player addition to the game. Can't really speak for the rest...[/QUOTE]
Minerva's Den is some of the best DLC I've ever played. Up there with ME2 Shadow Broker and most of the Bethesda stuff.

The rest of the DLC is kind of meh. More protection trials if you liked those, and lots of multiplayer if you're into that.

I bought today the 4 pieces of DLC, though I know the only one that's suposed to be good is Minerva's Den (as jtron said).

Minerva's Den is a great single-player episode that I'd recommend to anyone who likes the base game.

Protector Trials is interesting, but I'd only recommend it to a superfan of the game or if you just really loved the Adam gathering sequences. It's basically challenge maps for gathers, where you're limited to certain combinations of weapons and plasmids.

The multiplayer maps are tough to recommend, not because they aren't great or because the multiplayer isn't fun, but because of the way the game's matchmaking works. You'll only get the DLC maps in rotation if everyone in the lobby owns the DLC. But there's no DLC playlist, and the game doesn't seem to even attempt to shunt players with the DLC together. So, there is virtually no chance that you'll land in a lobby where every player owns the DLC and actually get to play on the maps, unless you organize a private group. It's really unfortunate.

I would just wait and buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/BioShock-Ulti...-2&keywords=bioshock+ultimate+rapture+edition

In addition to BioShock and BioShock 2, the BioShock: Ultimate Rapture Edition includes more than $40 of add-on content for both games:

● Museum of Orphaned Concepts: Take a tour of a never-before-seen BioShock museum and view early concept art, character models and more set within the halls of Rapture.
● Plasmids Pack: Includes four additional Plasmids and Gene Tonics – Sonic Boom, EVE Saver, Vending Expert and Machine Buster – for use in BioShock.
● Challenge Rooms Pack: Previously exclusive to PS3 and now available for Xbox 360 for the first time, the pack tests the player’s mettle by requiring them to utilize the skills learned while traversing the halls of Rapture to survive three separate puzzle rooms in BioShock.
● Sinclair Solutions Tester: Contains a number of customization features that allow players to further their character’s development in BioShock 2 multiplayer modes and provides a deeper multiplayer experience.
● Rapture Metro: Includes six additional multiplayer maps, an additional multiplayer gameplay mode and a rank increase to level 50 for BioShock 2 multiplayer.
● The Protector Trials: Features frantic combat and fast-paced action designed to push players’ mastery of weapons and Plasmids in a BioShock 2 single-player experience spread across six maps.
● Minerva’s Den: A substantial narrative experience that puts players in the role Subject Sigma and introduces new characters, locations and mystery to the world of Rapture in BioShock 2. Set in a new environment, Rapture Central Computing, Minerva’s Den adds a gripping new storyline to extend the BioShock 2 experience.
● Also included, is an exclusive collectable sticker pack from BioShock Infinite’s world of Columbia to get gamers ready for the next chapter in the BioShockuniverse.

[quote name='Glass_Ghost_0']I would just wait and buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/BioShock-Ulti...-2&keywords=bioshock+ultimate+rapture+edition

In addition to BioShock and BioShock 2, the BioShock: Ultimate Rapture Edition includes more than $40 of add-on content for both games:

● Museum of Orphaned Concepts: Take a tour of a never-before-seen BioShock museum and view early concept art, character models and more set within the halls of Rapture.
● Plasmids Pack: Includes four additional Plasmids and Gene Tonics – Sonic Boom, EVE Saver, Vending Expert and Machine Buster – for use in BioShock.
● Challenge Rooms Pack: Previously exclusive to PS3 and now available for Xbox 360 for the first time, the pack tests the player’s mettle by requiring them to utilize the skills learned while traversing the halls of Rapture to survive three separate puzzle rooms in BioShock.
● Sinclair Solutions Tester: Contains a number of customization features that allow players to further their character’s development in BioShock 2 multiplayer modes and provides a deeper multiplayer experience.
● Rapture Metro: Includes six additional multiplayer maps, an additional multiplayer gameplay mode and a rank increase to level 50 for BioShock 2 multiplayer.
● The Protector Trials: Features frantic combat and fast-paced action designed to push players’ mastery of weapons and Plasmids in a BioShock 2 single-player experience spread across six maps.
● Minerva’s Den: A substantial narrative experience that puts players in the role Subject Sigma and introduces new characters, locations and mystery to the world of Rapture in BioShock 2. Set in a new environment, Rapture Central Computing, Minerva’s Den adds a gripping new storyline to extend the BioShock 2 experience.
● Also included, is an exclusive collectable sticker pack from BioShock Infinite’s world of Columbia to get gamers ready for the next chapter in the BioShockuniverse.[/QUOTE]

No thanks. I have BioShock 2 already.

I thought that hackers had, once again, shown that "+rare items" was non-functional in BL2 just like BL1.

EDIT: Also, I was only one week off in predicting Minerva's Den going back on sale after the holidays. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Minerva's Den is great. I enjoyed this more than main game. If you are not completionist (achievement hunter) - skip the trials dlc. It's series with protection missions. Not sure if i'm alone, but the shooting mechanics in BioShock games are not really fun.

Duke Nukem isn't showing up on sale, either, or at least not on Xbox.com.

Was kind of hoping the DLC for it would go on sale, too. Not paying more for that than I did for the game.

[quote name='Glass_Ghost_0']I would just wait and buy this:

● Also included, is an exclusive collectable sticker pack from BioShock Infinite’s world of Columbia to get gamers ready for the next chapter in the BioShockuniverse.[/QUOTE]

Perfect. I was about to ask about the 2nd game and a possible GotY edition or if downloading during this sale was the way to go...being that I've never played 1 or 2 (although they get recommended alot) this will be perfect. Thanks for posting! Didn't know anything about this.

[quote name='kdiddy1989']Perfect. I was about to ask about the 2nd game and a possible GotY edition or if downloading during this sale was the way to go...being that I've never played 1 or 2 (although they get recommended alot) this will be perfect. Thanks for posting! Didn't know anything about this.[/QUOTE]

no problem, I already have 2 copies of the second game but I'll most likely get this too for the first game and all the dlc

[quote name='tylerh1701']So, Monday night decisions, decided to cave in and get Diabolical Pitch for 400 MSP. And as much as it pains me to do it, I'm gonna have to skip Puzzle Quest Galactrix for now. The 800 MSP price point + horror stories about the timed hacking puzzles turned me off too much.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat and passed on PQG for now. It really should drop in price. It's difficult for me to spend $10 or more on XBLA games now. As for Diabolical Pitch, the game looked like crap and I didn't get the chance to play the trial so I'll wait for an inevitable repeat sale. There aren't enough Kinect games to cycle through to keep the Kinect Central sales unique.

For the 2K deal I think I have everything I want already. I'll have to play the trials for the Scratch & Match offers. Those are all tempting. Already I forgot what the DoTW is but think I didn't want anything there either.

So, for someone whos never played Bioshock 1 or 2, what's a better deal? Buying each game and then the DLC this week on sale (Minerva's Den for sure based on the reviews, not sure what the other DLC's are), or picking up that ultimate edition next month for $30? Would really appreciate some recommendations from CAGs here.

[quote name='GamerDude316']So, for someone whos never played Bioshock 1 or 2, what's a better deal? Buying each game and then the DLC this week on sale (Minerva's Den for sure based on the reviews, not sure what the other DLC's are), or picking up that ultimate edition next month for $30? Would really appreciate some recommendations from CAGs here.[/QUOTE]

Def pick up the Ultimate Edition for $30, that's the better deal, especially if you don't own either game

[quote name='GamerDude316']So, for someone whos never played Bioshock 1 or 2, what's a better deal? Buying each game and then the DLC this week on sale (Minerva's Den for sure based on the reviews, not sure what the other DLC's are), or picking up that ultimate edition next month for $30? Would really appreciate some recommendations from CAGs here.[/QUOTE]

Minerva's Den is really the only must-have DLC. The mutliplayer DLC isn't really worth getting. You're looking at 2000 points for BS1 + BS2 + MD which is about $25 if I'm doing the math right. It pretty comes down to if you think having a physical copy is worth the extra $5. If you're patient the collection will probably eventually go on sale for $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back