XBLA - Perfect Dark - Now available - Controls/achievement patch out now

[quote name='ProggleRock']Which one's legacy? Isn't that the original scheme?[/QUOTE]

Yes, and it's not being included.

Modern controls (Halo default) = Move f/b + strafe on left stick, look u/d + turn on right stick.

Legacy controls (PD N64 default) = Move f/b + turn on left stick, look u/d + strafe on right stick.

I can play modern FPS's using modern, but all my experience with PD has been with legacy. I can't play it any other way without a great deal of difficulty.

Whoever feels the same way, please sign the petition. If you think it's a waste of time, please email 4J Studios. If you think I'm being nit-picky, please kindly disagree.

[quote name='TurboChickenMan']Yes, and it's not being included.

Modern controls (Halo default) = Move f/b + strafe on left stick, look u/d + turn on right stick.

Legacy controls (PD N64 default) = Move f/b + turn on left stick, look u/d + strafe on right stick.

I can play modern FPS's using modern, but all my experience with PD has been with legacy. I can't play it any other way without a great deal of difficulty.

Whoever feels the same way, please sign the petition. If you think it's a waste of time, please email 4J Studios. If you think I'm being nit-picky, please kindly disagree.[/QUOTE]

Best of luck man, but I just don't see it happening. Maybe you'll get used to it if they never add it.

I got to find a way to get $10 bucks fast! With GoW3, I totally forgot about this. Damn, today was the start of a crazy day (Pokemon Gold/Silver). :D

[quote name='advanced']Best of luck man, but I just don't see it happening. Maybe you'll get used to it if they never add it.

I got to find a way to get $10 bucks fast! With GoW3, I totally forgot about this. Damn, today was the start of a crazy day (Pokemon Gold/Silver). :D[/QUOTE]

If you're getting GoW 3, buy it at TRU if you can and get that $20 GC that comes with it for RewardZone members...then use the $20 GC to buy a 1600 XBL points card. Boom. Done.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']If you're getting GoW 3, buy it at TRU if you can and get that $20 GC that comes with it for RewardZone members...then use the $20 GC to buy a 1600 XBL points card. Boom. Done.[/QUOTE]

You're smart. Too smart. :bomb:

[quote name='TurboChickenMan']Yes, and it's not being included.

Whoever feels the same way, please sign the petition. If you think it's a waste of time, please email 4J Studios. If you think I'm being nit-picky, please kindly disagree.[/QUOTE]
those controls for legacy bother me so much.. i mean it should have ALWAYS been "MODERN" if that's what you want to call it. because moving forward and back IS also moving like strafing left and right so its natural that they should be on the same stick. PLUS what if while using legacy you want to look up but the analog is whack and you end up strafing "while looking" up.... ALSO looking left and right is the same as looking up and down CAUSE you're looking :p.

[quote name='timesplitt']those controls for legacy bother me so much.. i mean it should have ALWAYS been "MODERN" if that's what you want to call it. because moving forward and back IS also moving like strafing left and right so its natural that they should be on the same stick. PLUS what if while using legacy you want to look up but the analog is whack and you end up strafing "while looking" up.... ALSO looking left and right is the same as looking up and down CAUSE you're looking :p.[/QUOTE]

I originally used legacy for Halo 1 (switched to modern later on because legacy doesn't work well without old-school strafe-running), and I mapped legacy to a 360 controller while emulating PD. It felt great, and it would have been perfect with a few sensitivity adjustments.

But the main point in all of this is that Perfect Dark XBLA is a port of an older game, and why would you not want to include at least an approximation of the original default control scheme along with it? They're keeping the original audio, movement speed, and AI... :whistle2:?

Myself, I don't consider it a big deal, but I do think you should at least be able to map custom controls if you so desire.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']If you're getting GoW 3, buy it at TRU if you can and get that $20 GC that comes with it for RewardZone members...then use the $20 GC to buy a 1600 XBL points card. Boom. Done.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha. Thanks for the suggestion, but without TRU credit, I won't be able to. I'm spending credit only for the time being. I'll get the game eventually, it just depends on how I gotta hustle the funds. :)

I have a quick question I think I heard somewhere in a gameplay interview that there are different control layouts for this game.. like the original N64 style or modern where you can use both sticks. Is that true? If so i'm down for picking this up.

[quote name='saunderscowie']I have a quick question I think I heard somewhere in a gameplay interview that there are different control layouts for this game.. like the original N64 style or modern where you can use both sticks. Is that true? If so i'm down for picking this up.[/QUOTE]

There's a link and/or post earlier in this thread that talked about 3 different control schemes. There were pictures with control mappings too. One is supposed to mimic the N64 controls, there's a "Duty Calls" setup for COD players, and a "Spartan" setup for Halo players.

I'll probably try all 3 since I've played all 3 styles.

Yea here it is, from post 177:

[quote name='metaly']It's early 2010! This game should be out any minute now! Here are the control schemes so you can start practicing:

Classic:
360dev-image71.jpg

Spartan:
360dev-image72.jpg

Duty Calls:
360dev-image70.jpg

It's nice of them to throw a bone to people who grew up on newer FPSes. :)

[/QUOTE]

Something interesting from that guy's Photobucket account: It looks like you'll be able to unlock cheats by having Perfect Dark Zero installed. The linked image mentions All Guns and shows R-Tracker/Weapon Cache Locations unlocked, so this probably unlocks the same cheats you got for linking the N64 version with the Gameboy Color game, which included the above cheats plus Cloaking Device and Hurricane Fists.

[quote name='teknikalei']There's a link and/or post earlier in this thread that talked about 3 different control schemes. There were pictures with control mappings too. One is supposed to mimic the N64 controls, there's a "Duty Calls" setup for COD players, and a "Spartan" setup for Halo players.

I'll probably try all 3 since I've played all 3 styles.

Yea here it is, from post 177:[/QUOTE]

I don't think any of the schemes mimic the original controls, since they all include the right analog stick as Look/Turn. It looks like the differences are only in the button layouts for reloading, crouching, switching, etc.

[quote name='metaly']Something interesting from that guy's Photobucket account: It looks like you'll be able to unlock cheats by having Perfect Dark Zero installed. The linked image mentions All Guns and shows R-Tracker/Weapon Cache Locations unlocked, so this probably unlocks the same cheats you got for linking the N64 version with the Gameboy Color game, which included the above cheats plus Cloaking Device and Hurricane Fists.[/QUOTE]

That's cool...it's like the Stop N' Swop all over again.

[quote name='metaly']Something interesting from that guy's Photobucket account: It looks like you'll be able to unlock cheats by having Perfect Dark Zero installed. The linked image mentions All Guns and shows R-Tracker/Weapon Cache Locations unlocked, so this probably unlocks the same cheats you got for linking the N64 version with the Gameboy Color game, which included the above cheats plus Cloaking Device and Hurricane Fists.[/QUOTE]

Oh nice, good thing I kept PDZ! I'll have to install that today.

I've been reading through some of the posts for this on GameFAQs (I know) and it sounds like they fixed vision still being blurred after you respawn. At last!

Also anyone know if there's a standard time when they update the marketplace on Wednesday?

[quote name='Metalic']Never played PD really, Very little time spent on the N64 version. So hyped to play this.[/QUOTE]

Same here man.:D I played the crap out of Goldeneye though.

[quote name='timesplitt']midnight release?[/quote]
More like 3 AM, EST.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I wish...they have usually put up the games around 2-2:30am[/QUOTE]

Yep. It sadly seems to be the standard at least for EST users. :cry:

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Yep. It sadly seems to be the standard at least for EST users. :cry:[/QUOTE]

I was talking about PST time. I happened to be up till around 2:30am last week and Scrap Metal was not up yet before I went to sleep.

I think he meant 2-3 AM Wednesday morning Pacific, so this could be happening in about 8 hours at the earliest. If it's 3 AM Eastern I may pass out from the anticipation.

I know I've yet to receive game updates, DLC, or gain access to live games exactly at midnight EST upon release. Early morning (2 - 6 am +) or bust is the norm around here so I don't bother waiting up for them.

I anticipate having NO problems jumping out of bed at 6am to take the dog out. I'll fire up the download, put him on his chain, and get ready for work. Should be able to get in a good bit of the game before work. PUMPED!

Awesome. I have 300 points on my account, so I can just buy 500 more through Xbox.com for $6.25 and then I'm set. I woke up at 5 P.M. anyway, so I'll be awake when it gets put up.

For once, working graveyard shift works wonders for me. I get home around 6am EST give or take. This is provided the press doesn't break down or the one truck being late or whatever else. Of course, now that I said this...

[quote name='tcrash247']I just watched the video review on IGN and it got me so pumped for this. I cannot wait.[/QUOTE]

I think its safe to say. Its one of my most wanted XBLA games ever. Its a wonder they didn't charge more than 800 points for all the content you get.

[quote name='jman619']I think its safe to say. Its one of my most wanted XBLA games ever. Its a wonder they didn't charge more than 800 points for all the content you get.[/QUOTE]

Yeah since it's a remake I believe its set on the 10 dollar price.

I checked metacritic a few hours ago and all scores in the green!:drool:

Is anyone going to start off with single player like I am? Even though the game will have the COD controls, I need to re-familiarize myself with things before I take it online.

[quote name='starmask2k3']the first N64 game on XBL can we see more coming soon[/QUOTE]

Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo Tooie say hello. And those were even from the same company- Rare! :p

bread's done
Back