XBox 360 120gb Hard Drive $99.99 at Circuit City

As of 6pm PST, there was 1 left at the Van Nuys, CA CC (After the one I bought :) ). They are tagged $179.99, but ring up as $99.99 with no problem. All of the registers have the NEW (=not valid yet) coupons, but I did happen to find one of the current $15/$100 coupons on a salesman's clipboard that was left by car stereo. So ask a salesperson if you don't see the coupons...

Of course I bought a clearance antenna thing that I now wish I wouldn't have-- I need it but I'm concerned what happens if I return (if it doesn't work how I want) it since it's what put me over the $100. Oh well, the receipt still shows the HD as $87 (partial application) so that wouldn't be bad.

Thanks, OP!! No more stalking every Target in the area!

Mother fucker...I just HAD to get the last one for 125 at my Target...

But really, if you're on the fence, definitely pick one up. Hard drive installs alone are worth the price.

[quote name='o_O']It's indistinguishable from the retail one. That's why you have to use that specific model -- it's the one Microsoft sells.[/quote]
I thought that the hddss.bin file was unique to each drive?

[quote name='Danil ACE']I thought that the hddss.bin file was unique to each drive?[/QUOTE]

No, you only need the one that matches your drive size.

[quote name='RudyPants']And possibly get your 360 banned from Microsoft ... Sounds like an awful idea.[/QUOTE]

And no, you will not get your 360 banned. I have done this for two family members living in the same house with Gold LIVE accounts, and both of them play each other all the time without any problems.

For people who are lazy and don't have a drive at all, this deal is pretty good.

But, as larger capacity drives are supported in further 360 updates, a person with an "unofficial" HDD can change his out cheaper than someone without one.

Personally, if I owned a core model, then I would get the 20 GB version for $20 (or was it $30?) from MS. I would sell the 20 GB for whatever I could get and keep the casing for the 120 GB BEVS drive.

Those $15 off $100 coupons state in small print that it excludes "game hardware" and when scanned, a message pops up on the register that says something along the lines of not valid items that the cashier has to manually override. Seems like most cashiers simply click to override without a second thought, but they do have the right to deny you on the hard drives.

[quote name='GunstarRed']Those $15 off $100 coupons state in small print that it excludes "game hardware" and when scanned, a message pops up on the register that says something along the lines of not valid items that the cashier has to manually override. Seems like most cashiers simply click to override without a second thought, but they do have the right to deny you on the hard drives.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, most of them won't care because they are losing their jobs.

[quote name='GunstarRed']Those $15 off $100 coupons state in small print that it excludes "game hardware" and when scanned, a message pops up on the register that says something along the lines of not valid items that the cashier has to manually override. Seems like most cashiers simply click to override without a second thought, but they do have the right to deny you on the hard drives.[/QUOTE]

Hrrm, interesting. When I got mine it didn't apply automatically and the cashier had to call someone over to get a fairly long code, but I didn't see any sort of denial. I am thinking it didn't scan properly, though-- maybe if she had to manually enter the code it did the override automatically as part of that?

[quote name='GunstarRed']Those $15 off $100 coupons state in small print that it excludes "game hardware" and when scanned, a message pops up on the register that says something along the lines of not valid items that the cashier has to manually override. Seems like most cashiers simply click to override without a second thought, but they do have the right to deny you on the hard drives.[/quote]

Generally, only consoles are considered game hardware. A hard drive would be considered an accessory.

Most stores consider any accessory to be hardware. I had CC put up fights calling controllers and points cards as "hardware", that's how I know the override screen comes up when I was using a $15 coupon for them. Depends on what cashier you get and how much the manager cares.

[quote name='rsulway']Great find OP! I have a question though:

Will this have an extra 10% off at the stores that are closing down?

If so, I just found my anniversary present![/QUOTE]

You may not even be able to get it at this price at the stores that are closing. They're not honoring any sale prices in the weekly flyer so I don't see why they would honor any price drops or coupons either. It's worth a shot though.

If anyone can buy an extra 120 GB HD and use the coupon to get it for $85, then I'll send you $100 to ship it to me. You can keep the candy bar or gum. Just putting it out there. :)

Well mine had 2 for $139.99. Maybe they'll drop to $99 before the coupon expires.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did pick one up today. BTW, have you read the exclusions on the coupon. I think the only thing you could legitimately buy is candy and soda. The cashier overrode it without batting an eye though.

[quote name='Cleaner7']If anyone can buy an extra 120 GB HD and use the coupon to get it for $85, then I'll send you $100 to ship it to me. You can keep the candy bar or gum. Just putting it out there. :)[/quote]

I would, but CA tax is nauseating, paypal fees are outrageous and then there is shipping...

Easily over 100. Still a great offer from you though.

[quote name='o_O']Or you could do it yourself for half the price

http://titaniumfish.com/2008/10/21/xbox-360-hdd-upgrade-wd1200bevs/
http://www.amazon.com/5400RPM-Buffe...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227060029&sr=8-2[/quote]

$40 bucks here:

http://www.techsunny.com/WD_Scorpio_120GB_Hard_drive_2_5/WD1200BEVS/partinfo-id-3231536.html

Honestly I would bite on this CC deal if I didn't already order an extra HDD from MS for my arcade ($30 w/3 months XBL). $70 bucks + time is equivalent to $85 and down the street for me.

my po are crooks. What's weird is that they don't send it off from that location, but send it to another PO, then on to it's destination.

Thanks, OP. I picked up the last one in Brookfield, WI tonight.

I was waiting for another price drop at a local Target, but now I don't have to worry about it.

Can't wait to use this for game installs after the dashboard update tomorrow!

Thanks very much OP. I have been checking ebay and considering using the live.com cash-back but this deal just came at the perfect time for the right price. Got one for myself and a buddy.

I haven't seen a 120 gb HD in Circuit City in the Philly area for months at any price. They also haven't had them on their website for a while.

Anyone have the item number, or whatever I'd need, that if I go into my store if they don't have any on the shelf, they can look it up in their computer?

Just checked a store near Chicago. The Firedog dude told me there weren't any in the store (he said that he'd just checked yesterday). He then told me that he didn't think that any CC stores had them, but didn't offer to check the computer, either.:roll:

Just wondering for those of you who bought em already... did you it include the disc/usb cable (migration kit)?

[quote name='punkmaggit']Yeah, it's a brand new HD, so it comes with the migration kit.[/quote]

alright cool thanks, i might get one tonight then heh.. just deleted all my demos and i still have only 800mb left... damn rockband taking up 3.2gig DLC...

Went to two different stores in Colorado and no luck, not even a tag for the hard drives. Is Microsoft coming out with a larger hard drive? Could that be the reason for the hard drives going clearance in Circuit City and Target?

[quote name='shieryda']Just checked a store near Chicago. The Firedog dude told me there weren't any in the store (he said that he'd just checked yesterday). He then told me that he didn't think that any CC stores had them, but didn't offer to check the computer, either.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Consider him a liar then :) I actually called Naperville this morning and was told they didn't have any in stock. I stopped by during lunch and bought the last one (box damaged but everything inside new) off the rack...gee, thanks for checking girlie from the morning shift. Bolingbrook still has one in stock and Schaumburg had a couple available as of 10:30am. Much thanks to OP. Total out of pocket expense was $20 after exchanging a gifted game for the 60GB kit and using the $15 coupon, then returning that for the 120GB drive after price drop.

Got lucky and picked up last 120 gig at 66th Street CC here in Manhattan. I was able to use the gift certificate and got the drive for around $93.00 after tax. I was quite pleased. I must say, however, that I think msoft is going to discontinue this drive. I cannot understand why CC is selling the 60 and 120 for the same price. The only logical reason is either msoft is discontinuing the product, or CC is not going to stock them anymore. Anyway, good luck to anyone who is looking for one.

[quote name='UZ7']Just wondering for those of you who bought em already... did you it include the disc/usb cable (migration kit)?[/quote]

Yup. It was a brand new drive with disk and migration cable.

I went over lunch yesterday to a San Diego store and didn't see discount marked; went back after work and thought it was gone but apparently someone called ahead for it? It was sitting near an empty counter and I was about to grab it when a floor guy told me it was reserved. I asked how long they were holding it and after about 10 minutes they let it go to me. Didn't see any of the $15 coupons, but I had Gamers Savings Club discount so it took it down to $90.

[quote name='Eldios']Got lucky and picked up last 120 gig at 66th Street CC here in Manhattan. I was able to use the gift certificate and got the drive for around $93.00 after tax. I was quite pleased. I must say, however, that I think msoft is going to discontinue this drive. I cannot understand why CC is selling the 60 and 120 for the same price. The only logical reason is either msoft is discontinuing the product, or CC is not going to stock them anymore. Anyway, good luck to anyone who is looking for one.[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree, there is a reason these are being clearanced out at both Target and CC. Probably a higher profit margin on the $99 60gb sets (and at the original MSRP I can't believe MS sold all that many 120gbs-- although with the NXE HD installs I have a feeling sales will go way up, that's the only reason I bought one!)

It's probably a good idea to go on the hunt if you know you want 120GB and don't want to buy an Elite...

[quote name='Justin42']Definitely agree, there is a reason these are being clearanced out at both Target and CC. Probably a higher profit margin on the $99 60gb sets (and at the original MSRP I can't believe MS sold all that many 120gbs-- although with the NXE HD installs I have a feeling sales will go way up, that's the only reason I bought one!)

It's probably a good idea to go on the hunt if you know you want 120GB and don't want to buy an Elite...[/QUOTE]

Ugh but I do want an Elite lol! :D

I picked up the last one I seen at the cc in san bernardino. It was an open box item and the guy gave it to me for $79.99!!!! Im so extatic, Im going to return the one I bought at target a few weeks back for $125.

Thanks for the heads up TC!!!

Sweet just bought one $99.99, same price as the 60GB w/ accessories one. I asked them about the discount but they said they were doing a different one. $10 off $75+ purchases but that doesnt start till 12/06... I think I got the last one, its the only one I saw next to the 60gig.. lol i asked the girl give me the 120 one, she said the 60??, i said no the 120, then she said the 60 again? im like wtf lol

Bought @Melbourne, FL

[quote name='gti443']I went over lunch yesterday to a San Diego store and didn't see discount marked; went back after work and thought it was gone but apparently someone called ahead for it? It was sitting near an empty counter and I was about to grab it when a floor guy told me it was reserved. I asked how long they were holding it and after about 10 minutes they let it go to me. Didn't see any of the $15 coupons, but I had Gamers Savings Club discount so it took it down to $90.[/quote]

Which CC? I'm in SD.

So for all the new 120gb HD owners, did anyone transfer from their 20GB to new 120GB drive yet? Everything run smooth with the new dash and stuff?

Just to let everyone know the data transfer disc which comes with the drive is region locked.......I have a JPN 360 so I had to transfer all of my stuff with a 512 memory card and re-download my demos. What a big pain. Going to pick up a Black Friday Arcade next week so no more of this region locking bs for me.

Thanks Op!

Bought an extra...$115 shipped/(insured for $100) via FedEx

tax is/was 9%

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back