Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

I'm only a few hours into AC: Unity but i'm liking it so far. There's the usual AC tutorial and backstory stuff in the beginning, but so far the gameplay feels good. After spending so many hours in Black Flag on a ship, it's nice to be back running up buildings. It's easier to scale up/down buildings, and finally having a crouch button is great.

There's also a lot of customization options for your armor and weapons. Oh and the amount of NPC's is pretty crazy. Won't be trying co-op till tomorrow though.

Although i've enjoyed every AC game so far so....yeah.
Same feeling. I just started about 2 hours ago but I'm loving it. It does feel good to get away from Black Flag atmosphere. l'll have this beat hopefully by the end of next week then I can look forward to AC Rogue since it will be $25 on BF.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm only a few hours into AC: Unity but i'm liking it so far. There's the usual AC tutorial and backstory stuff in the beginning, but so far the gameplay feels good. After spending so many hours in Black Flag on a ship, it's nice to be back running up buildings. It's easier to scale up/down buildings, and finally having a crouch button is great.

There's also a lot of customization options for your armor and weapons. Oh and the amount of NPC's is pretty crazy. Won't be trying co-op till tomorrow though.

Although i've enjoyed every AC game so far so....yeah.
Glad to see someone on this forum likes it, I was really starting to regret my purchase. I have Rogue coming tomorrow though so I think I'll tackle that first in hopes of a patch coming to fix some of the issues with Unity.

Also wanted to say I have really been enjoying Volgarr the Viking, but damn is it hard. Stuck on the second level where you have to jump all the platforms and there is a plant on the pillar. Anyway game is great especially if you even played Rastan in the arcades back in the late 80s.

What happened here.

As far as game collections, you can have them in your profile but post away if you feel like it. Idk.

Anyways. I'm still the one guy hammering away at Titanfall. Might have to grab MCC when I'm done in this next week or so.

I play Titanfall, but few of my XBL friends do. You never responded to my request to play months ago, Destro. :p

I actually copied and pasted someone else's list that was similar to mine and then made the few necessary changes. I like seeing people's lists.

[quote name="kcobra22" post="12232975" timestamp="1415771487"]I'm only a few hours into AC: Unity but i'm liking it so far. There's the usual AC tutorial and backstory stuff in the beginning, but so far the gameplay feels good. After spending so many hours in Black Flag on a ship, it's nice to be back running up buildings. It's easier to scale up/down buildings, and finally having a crouch button is great.

Although i've enjoyed every AC game so far so....yeah.[/quote]
I like the game so far. My only complaint is the technical issues, but at least that can be taken care of in an update. Maybe I'll finish Mordor and by the time I come back they'll have it taken care of.

I play Titanfall, but few of my XBL friends do. You never responded to my request to play months ago, Destro. :p

I actually copied and pasted someone else's list that was similar to mine and then made the few necessary changes. I like seeing people's lists.
Oh sorry dude. I honestly must never have seen it.

I grabbed Halo MCC but haven't loaded it up. I'm definitely down to play with anyone from CAG. I'm stuck with the Kinect mic for now though...

I'm really enjoying Child of Eden Light, forgot I had it until I saw it on my games doc, Ubisoft actually made a pretty cool and interesting combat system. God the artwork is beautiful too. That's my warm up, then it's into Forza Horizon 2 which really really has a nice NFS vibe to it imo.

I liked Child of Eden, although I performed better in that game using the controller as opposed to my Kinect.

Paul, I will check out your Master Chief Collection review in a moment. In case you didn't see my XBL message, I received no pop up notifications when you invited me last night. I will be online tonight and will probably be attempting the unranked Team Slayer matchmaking like I played last night.

Staticz, maybe you could join me/us at some point if you want. I am open to playing a variety of game types.

Damn it, Paul! You somehow put out a review covering a game I care about and you expressed no opinions which I could really disagree with. Thus, I was forced to do something that many individuals go their entire lives without doing: I posted an overwhelmingly positive YouTube comment for a review of a major video game.

This is somewhat random, but I'm not sure where else to ask.....so here goes......

Anybody have problems with achievements not popping even when it shows as 100% earned in the achievement app?  I finished Costume Quest 2 last night and was looking forward to having it as my first game 100% completed on the Xbox One, but one darn achievement is glitched. 

Any ideas?  or, any ideas where I can raise a question like this?

Damn it, Paul! You somehow put out a review covering a game I care about and you expressed no opinions which I could really disagree with. Thus, I was forced to do something that many individuals go their entire lives without doing: I posted an overwhelmingly positive YouTube comment for a review of a major video game.
Why thank you Matt. What a colorful comment you left, too.

Yeah, there's very little controversy to be had with my review or any glowing review of Halo MCC, really. They didn't mess up a whole lot other than launching with broken multiplayer.

Is it worth keeping my Kinect? Thinking of selling it since MS seems to have gone away from it...
I actually just bought a Kinect off of eBay for $70 for the Call of Duty bundle I got for $350 (thankyou sams club) that I'm giving to my parents as a gift. I think the voice commands, turning on all your equipment, auto login, xbox fitness and skype are well worth having the Kinect for. That said if you don't use it for any of these things I would probably sell it since it likely isn't going to see much in the way of future software support.

xbox one has hit 10 million mark systems sold
They actually said "soon will reach 10 million sold in" which translated means "not quite 10 million sold to retailers." Still an impressive number considering where they were in the summer. But I think any product that has seen a near 50% reduction in customer cost to own one is going to gain sales momentum. The interesting thing is going to be if they will keep the $350 price point in January, I think it is going to be pretty tough for them to go back to $399, but that's what people said when the Titanfall bundle got slashed last March and Microsoft eventually raised the price back up, but then shortly after removed Kinect so this is a different situation really.

Ahhh, not good I think, my controller's guide button isn't lighting up any more and the controller is extremely warm to the touch around the d-pad and left area of the controller. Possible short, happened after using the plug and play?

Oh and haha whoops, didn't mean Child of Eden, meant Child of Light.

Ahhh, not good I think, my controller's guide button isn't lighting up any more and the controller is extremely warm to the touch around the d-pad and left area of the controller. Possible short, happened after using the plug and play?

Oh and haha whoops, didn't mean Child of Eden, meant Child of Light.
Child of Light is a basic but fun turn based RPG that reminds me a lot of a PS1/PS2 era RPG series called Grandia. They both used a form of the knock back system where timing your hits correctly will knock the enemy back on their attack bar Anyway great game and hope we see a sequel.

fyi: you can hide your double posts if not on the mobile site.

Why thank you Matt. What a colorful comment you left, too.

Yeah, there's very little controversy to be had with my review or any glowing review of Halo MCC, really. They didn't mess up a whole lot other than launching with broken multiplayer.
I don't know. A lot of user impressions I've read make the game sound like it's full of bugs and performances issues. I know I've had a ton of sound issues with the game, and I've heard the Single Player modes are having save and freezing issues.

I've also heard splitscreen has varying performance issues which were particuarly bad in Halo CE, but you didn't even touch on that.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-what-works-and-what-doesnt-in-halo-the-master-chief-collection

This is somewhat random, but I'm not sure where else to ask.....so here goes......

Anybody have problems with achievements not popping even when it shows as 100% earned in the achievement app? I finished Costume Quest 2 last night and was looking forward to having it as my first game 100% completed on the Xbox One, but one darn achievement is glitched.

Any ideas? or, any ideas where I can raise a question like this?
Does it say unlocked or something like that? You probably picked the worst time to unlock achievements. From around noon to about 5AM the achievement servers were down and all games had problems unlocking achievements. Its fixed now, but those unlocked "locked" achievements might take some time to unlock. I have about 15 achievements in the Master Chief Collection locked.

I don't know. A lot of user impressions I've read make the game sound like it's full of bugs and performances issues. I know I've had a ton of sound issues with the game, and I've heard the Single Player modes are having save and freezing issues.

I've also heard splitscreen has varying performance issues which were particuarly bad in Halo CE, but you didn't even touch on that.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-what-works-and-what-doesnt-in-halo-the-master-chief-collection
Do you expect me or any reviewer to play through all four games in split-screen? The split-screen performance was fine (certainly not 60 fps) in my spot-checking of all four games, as shown in the video. It would have been worth mentioning that Halo 3 and 4's split-screen ratios still suck, but I couldn't fit that in very well.

And yes, there are many little bugs but you can't list every single bug you see, especially in a really big game. The ones you do mention are those that seriously impact your enjoyment of the title (as in, those that affect the theme of the review).

Do you expect me or any reviewer to play through all four games in split-screen? The split-screen performance was fine (certainly not 60 fps) in my spot-checking of all four games, as shown in the video. It would have been worth mentioning that Halo 3 and 4's split-screen ratios still suck, but I couldn't fit that in very well.

And yes, there are many little bugs but you can't list every single bug you see, especially in a really big game. The ones you do mention are those that seriously impact your enjoyment of the title (as in, those that affect the theme of the review).
Well if you're reviewing a game you should review every component of it and not half-ass anything. You left a small section towards the Split-Screen component and left out any mention of the performance issues it has.

I'm not sure what you'd consider a "little bug" I know several people have reported that their saved progress has gotten wiped on certain levels, and achievements aren't working at all. Additionally as I stated above the sound issues really do put a huge damper on the experience.

By choice or by force I can't help but notice none of the review sites (Including you) bothered mentioning any of the bugs present in the game and given how frequently they surface, and the scale of issues they cause I look at that as further reason to distrust the gaming media.

Does it say unlocked or something like that? You probably picked the worst time to unlock achievements. From around noon to about 5AM the achievement servers were down and all games had problems unlocking achievements. Its fixed now, but those unlocked "locked" achievements might take some time to unlock. I have about 15 achievements in the Master Chief Collection locked.
I just logged on and it unlocked. Go figure.

Well if you're reviewing a game you should review every component of it and not half-ass anything. You left a small section towards the Split-Screen component and left out any mention of the performance issues it has.

I'm not sure what you'd consider a "little bug" I know several people have reported that their saved progress has gotten wiped on certain levels, and achievements aren't working at all. Additionally as I stated above the sound issues really do put a huge damper on the experience.

By choice or by force I can't help but notice none of the review sites (Including you) bothered mentioning any of the bugs present in the game and given how frequently they surface, and the scale of issues they cause I look at that as further reason to distrust the gaming media.
I agree that comprehensiveness is a desirable objective in reviews, and one I always strive towards. But you also run into word count issues with more complex games. 1200 words is the sweet spot for a detailed review, with every word the writer goes over that reducing the chance that readers will finish the review. I set 1700 as my limit for "extra long" game reviews, with this particular one going just a smidge over that (~1750).

Whatever length the writer chooses to work within, we can only report the things that we actually experience or hear about from reliable sources (including forums) during the review process. The bugs I saw were just AI acting weird occasionally, such as during the Tartarus fight in Halo, and a little weird checkpoint teleportation during online co-op of another level in that game.

I did not experience or hear about sound issues or save data loss before writing the review. I did hear of an Achievement failing to unlock from a coworker, but that could have been an isolated incident (now we're hearing it's a bit more common through other channels).

Finally, you can't just list every little positive or negative thing you encounter during a game in a review of any length, because everything has to fit within the flow of the review. It has to read smoothly, with things fitting organically within paragraphs and in relation to other elements of the review. The pieces have to fit together.

On top of that, if you pick too many nits within a review of a game you intend to represent positively, the tone of the review will become more negative than intended. Managing the tone of a review is similar to managing flow, because a good review (like any good essay) will have a consistent tone that is not outweighed by elements of contrasting tone.

In other words, if I really like this game, I need to report on things that annoy me, but I have to decide how much things really affect my enjoyment and leave out some things that have little bearing on it. It might not even be nitpicks that get left out, but say a minigame that just doesn't matter towards (my impression of) the overall quality of the game.

These are all factors that anyone who writes at a college and professional level has to deal with, and mostly stuff that a consumer wouldn't experience or consider (unless they develop their writing as a hobbyist over an extended length of time). It's no reason to distrust the media. You just have to understand what we go through during the review and writing process, and what our goals are when we write a review (such as managing flow and tone).

And of course, readers need to know that reviews are opinions and quality is subjective, which an alarming number of adults do not understand. Just because you disagree with a review does not mean that the reviewer was dishonest or unworthy of trust. It simply means that he or she is a different person than you and has different tastes and perspectives.

The vast majority of the "non sexist" GGers who are critical of the media simply don't understand how gaming journalism works, making accusations that are nearly always off-base or ill-informed.

There's no way a review can touch on everything. It's usually all the info to get a general idea of the medium's quality. Get more pieces by doing research, not belittling a review.

good news: AC: Unity has co-op free roam in addition to missions, and I can't wait to try it.

bad news: xbox live has a service alert and I can't join co-op games right now.

good news: AC: Unity has co-op free roam in addition to missions, and I can't wait to try it.

bad news: xbox live has a service alert and I can't join co-op games right now.
Is Unity as broken and unplayable as the user reviews on Metacritic and Amazon are making it out to be?

I agree that comprehensiveness is a desirable objective in reviews, and one I always strive towards. But you also run into word count issues with more complex games. 1200 words is the sweet spot for a detailed review, with every word the writer goes over that reducing the chance that readers will finish the review. I set 1700 as my limit for "extra long" game reviews, with this particular one going just a smidge over that (~1750).

Whatever length the writer chooses to work within, we can only report the things that we actually experience or hear about from reliable sources (including forums) during the review process. The bugs I saw were just AI acting weird occasionally, such as during the Tartarus fight in Halo, and a little weird checkpoint teleportation during online co-op of another level in that game.

I did experience or not hear about sound issues or save data loss before writing the review. I did hear of an Achievement failing to unlock from a coworker, but hat could have been an isolated incident (now we're hearing it's a bit more common through other channels).

Finally, you can't just list every little positive or negative thing you encounter during a game in a review of any length, because everything has to fit within the flow of the review. It has to read smoothly, with things fitting organically within paragraphs and in relation to other elements of the review. The pieces have to fit together.

On top of that, if you pick too many nits within a review of a game you intend to represent positively, the tone of the review will become more negative than intended. Managing the tone of a review is similar to managing flow, because a good review (like any good essay) will have a consistent tone that is not outweighed by elements of contrasting tone.

In other words, if I really like this game, I need to report on things that annoy me, but I have to decide how much things really affect my enjoyment and leave out some things that have little bearing on it. It might not even be nitpicks that get left out, but say a minigame that just doesn't matter towards (my impression of) the overall quality of the game.

These are all factors that anyone who writes at a college and professional level has to deal with, and mostly stuff that a consumer wouldn't experience or consider (unless they develop their writing as a hobbyist over an extended length of time). It's no reason to distrust the media. You just have to understand what we go through during the review and writing process, and what our goals are when we write a review (such as managing flow and tone).

And that reviews are opinions and quality is subjective, which an alarming number of adults do not understand. Just because you disagree with a review does not mean that the reviewer was dishonest or unworthy of trust. It simply means that he or she is a different person than you and has different tastes and perspectives.

The vast majority of the "non sexist" GGers who are critical of the media simply don't understand how gaming journalism works, making accusations that are nearly always off-base or ill-informed.
It sounds like the general thought processes is you intentionally left out details about bugs or performance issues because of "Word count" issues which sounds like an incredibly poor excuse. The rest is you sugarcoating about how difficult it is to be a reviewer and how hard gaming journalists work.

If "Word count" issues prevented you from mention any bugs or performance I'm curious to know what prevented you from even touching down on the subject in your nearly 7 minute long video review. I'll admit I glanced over it briefly stopping at all the split-screen sections and you never mentioned any issues with it despite everybody else who has played it reporting split-screen issues.

There's no way a review can touch on everything. It's usually all the info to get a general idea of the medium's quality. Get more pieces by doing research, not belittling a review.
It's not okay for reviewers to intentionally mislead consumers into thinking games are hitch-free. Some reviewers have started completely ignoring bugs or issues they run into while others are more transparent about the problems they've faced. I understand he liked the game, but him intentionally ignoring any glaring issue the game may have had because he essentially didn't have enough room to type it out (Nice excuse) is very poor.

Speaking of reviews overlooking technical issues I find it odd that the major outlets are giving good reviews to Unity without mentioning the bugs while the user reviews are saying that it's a glitchy piece of shit. Has anyone actually played it and can weigh in on this?

Last edited:
Speaking of reviews I find it odd that the major outlets are giving good reviews to Unity without mentioning the bugs while the user reviews are saying that it's a glitchy piece of shit. Has anyone actually played it and can weigh in on this?
Ubisoft paid for some good reviews. Hell they didn't even send out review copies for rogue.

Yeah they made up for 3 with black flag then took a step back with unity.

Was reading you need the app to open some chest in the game and they have two badges called 1080p and 60 fps. Its like they are trying really hard to just piss everyone off.

So far I really like AC Unity, but as the impressions have said the performance sucks. Literally the first scene the game opens up to I'm running through a crowd at what felt like a slideshow because the game kept cutting in and out. Additionally the load times are horrible.

Otherwise I really like the characters so far off the bat, and the game visually looks very impressive.

I fell through the map a couple of times, and the framerate is bad. I will probably trade it in and pick it up later when its cheap. Maybe there will be a patch by then.

Dragon Age is pretty good so far. Attack is now right trigger and you can just hold down right trigger to keep on attacking while you keep an eye on your cooldown abilities. Character creation is really good. Its a streamlined Dragon Age but with a focus on more tatics rather than just action.

I know from following G4's X-play, then later their Youtube channel RevGames, IGN's podcasts, Gameradar's, now Lasertime, podcasts that often times the reason reviewers leave out mentions of a game's bugs is due to strict review embargoes - aside from the assurance from the dev/pub that those bugs would be fixed on release or following thereafter. It's kind of sneaky how they've got it set up.

Question: Anybody have experience with transferring warranties on an Xbox One or at a minimum an Xbox 360?  

I'm going to sell my Sunset Overdrive bundle and use the funds to rebuy the AC bundle when BF comes around.  So if I have my XB1 as a listed registered device under my MS account, what happens to the secondary user that's going to buy my Xbone?  If something happens within the warranty period and he needs to open a claim, how will that work since it's under my profile?  My understanding is that the warranty follows the console regardless of user.  So as long as he calls it in and provides the serial number, he won't have any problems getting a repair?  TIA.

bread's done
Back