Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='TimboSliceGB']if i remember ps4 press conf thye also spent pretty decent amount on other things then games. People need to realize this day and age sony and microsoft are trying to get non gamers to buy their systems for things like entertaiment and sports.[/QUOTE]
At the reveal event, PS4 was positioned as being all about games. Does this mean other services – photos, music, and so on – will be less prominent on the console’s dashboard?

We know that people like these functions, such as Netflix, and use them a lot. And especially for those people who are not the person who purchased these consoles – like family members – they tend to use these non-game functions. So it’s not like we are no longer going to do these functions, but especially for the announcement event, we wanted to show how the game experiences will change with PS4, because that’s the biggest focus for us. Once that communication [to the public] is achieved, then probably later this year we’ll talk more about what these non-game functions [are] that we are trying to bring to PS4 as well.
http://www.edge-online.com/features/shuhei-yoshida-on-the-making-of-playstation-4/
Microsoft should had followed Sony's method. Focus on games now and non-game stuff later to create hype. Right now MS is giving gamers a bad first impression of the new console.

Conference definitely left me a lot more intrigued than I was before hand.

Key questions I have are:

1. Will all the TV stuff, instant switching to different things really work as instantly/seamlessly as shown?

2. Does the TV stuff require a separate cable/satellite box to connect with, or does it replace the need for one? Less boxes and wires cluttering up my TV stand would be nice, if this can replace a set top DVR box.

3. Will it work with any TV provider? I'm very happy with DirecTV. I don't really want to go back to cable. Especially if it has to be Comcast.

4. Pricing. If this is $400 or less (subsidized model is fine with me for a cheaper day one price since I'd always have Live subscription anyway) and it works as shown I may get one around launch.

I'd like to have seen more gaming stuff, but that's less a priority for me these days. And I know Halo, Gears etc. will be there, along with all the multiplatform stuff anyway. As someone who pretty much just plays the big blockbuster franchise games, the game library isn't something I'm waiting to hear about with baited breath since both the Xbox One and PS4 will have plenty of the types of games I play. I really like the design of the controller--huge benefit over the PS4 controller for me as I loathe side by side analog sticks.

[quote name='screwkick']If this used game nonsense is true...R.I.P Gamestop and GameFly.[/QUOTE]

Which confuses me more why the GS CEO was excited about the next gen systems. If the Wired article is true, this new pricing model will affect everything. The whole landscape for deals will change.

[quote name='Jodou']I couldn't believe that lol. I literally said aloud "When Xbox can take us to the moon, then it's rocket science."[/QUOTE]

Kerbal Space Program launch title?

[quote name='KingBroly']Used Games behind a Pay-wall
You have to register the game with Xbox Live before you can play/install it
Terrible name

Seriously, I didn't think they could fuck it up, but by gawd they did![/QUOTE]

The word is that you can play offline. You only need to pay if it has been installed/linked to another account. You can still play a used/rented/friends copy with the disc in the disc drive.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']So it really IS no used games then? (okay, so it requires a fee to be passed on = same deal IMO) Wow. This is the end of the line for me if the PS4 doesn't require the same.[/QUOTE]
Steam has the same thing when it comes to DRM. Then again when you can buy full retail games for $10 a few months after launch, it's not bad. Xbox wont reach Steam's pricing structure.

[quote name='htz']Microsoft should had followed Sony's method. Focus on games now and non-game stuff later to create hype. Right now MS is giving gamers a bad first impression of the new console.[/QUOTE]

well im going to e3 so i think not hearing about the games till e3 will make me want to play them even more then hearing about them now and then going to microsoft press conf at e3 and sitting thier watching just tv stuff and no games.

As A gamer I'm really disappointed with the XBOX One. Microsoft ignored real gamers more than Nintendo did with the Wii. I've been a 3 console guy for a while, looks like that's about to change.

[quote name='Vinny']I love how everyone made fun of the PS3 for being media centric (lolz, no gamez!) and now the One is media centric.[/QUOTE]
I know right. Even Killzone is better than showing nothing at all.

I think you guys will be surprised with what an uphill battle it will be for Microsoft. CoD Ghosts is coming out for 360 (as far as I know). It will not move systems. EA Sports will be the same.

We are in a depressed economy worldwide. The poor and middle class, who are the chief consumers of video games, do not have the same amount of discretionary income as they did in 2006. I think MS and Sony will do slightly better than Nintendo did with the Wii U.

You had one job Microshit, one fuckING job and you blew it, congratufuckinglations, all you had to do was show off some games, put the always online rumor to bed, and show why I should invest in the XBOX One instead of the Playstation 4.

But instead, we get to hear about how your trying to compete with ROKU and Apple in the TV set box department, we get to see another version of Kinect that many people don't want nor care about, No official word on Backwards Compatibility or whether or not the system will play used games, no mention of an similar PS+ offering, nope, just TV TV and more TV.

I will gladly stick with my Wii U, Playstation 4 and PC, which will give me more then enough entertainment to keep me busy. You blew it MS, now piss off and die.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Steam has the same thing when it comes to DRM. Then again when you can buy full retail games for $10 a few months after launch, it's not bad. Xbox wont reach Steam's pricing structure.[/QUOTE]

This. If PS4 and Xbox prices them out of my market, I may just go with the damn Steambox instead.

Video gaming in general is out of control at this point. And the manufacturers have no clue as to what gamers want. What ever happened to buying a game, inserting the cartridge or disc into the console and just playing it. No TV integration, no music services, no rented movies. Just play the freaking games already. I have a PC/Mac to do all that other stuff. The last game I played and truly enjoyed was Fallout 3, and that was 5 years ago.

As someone who grew up in arcades, maybe I have just overstayed my welcome in this industry. Or maybe I'm just too damn old. Either way, I guess it's time to move on and do something else.

With announcements of the PS4, and now today with the XBOX One, it reminds me of why I have a MAME cabinet in my office. :D

i do give microsoft credit they did show everything off. i still question why sony showed off the controller and not the system it self in thier press conf. I think they realised it might have been bad idea after that trailer came out yesterday.

I don't know about these used game reports. This also means that if you rent or borrow any game you just have to pay 5 bucks to own it. Couldn't that hurt devs? If gamers start sharing all of their new purchases, all you have to do is set up a group of like 3 friends and buy 1/3 the games because you just share all games and pay 5 bucks a pop as opposed to $30-$60.

If you can still rent then you never have to pay more than 5 bucks for a relatively new game again. Just rent a game the first week its out, pay your 5 bucks, and you are good. Seems like a huge double edged sword.

[quote name='edson13']cant believe people were clapping for some of this crap.[/QUOTE]
I still can't believe people clapped for the remedy (Quantum Break) trailer. All it showed was a ship hitting a bridge. :lol:

[quote name='spoo']The word is that you can play offline. You only need to pay if it has been installed/linked to another account. You can still play a used/rented/friends copy with the disc in the disc drive.[/QUOTE]

Not according to the wired article:

Wired asked Microsoft if installation would be mandatory. “On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play,” the company responded in an emailed statement. Sounds mandatory to us.

This would not be a day one purchase for me. I like to see if there's any defects on the first wave of XBox One consoles. No 3 RROD for me.

If I however do purchase this console. My current buying trend will shift. I will buy PS4 ports of the game and only buy XBox One exclusives.

[quote name='willardhaven']I think you guys will be surprised with what an uphill battle it will be for Microsoft. CoD Ghosts is coming out for 360 (as far as I know). It will not move systems. EA Sports will be the same.

We are in a depressed economy worldwide. The poor and middle class, who are the chief consumers of video games, do not have the same amount of discretionary income as they did in 2006. I think MS and Sony will do slightly better than Nintendo did with the Wii U.[/QUOTE]

i think alot of ghost stuff will but cut out in 360 version no way some of that stuff is done on current gen.

[quote name='edson13']cant believe people were clapping for some of this crap.[/QUOTE]

It was a staged event. I think there were cues. Sad as it may be, a functioning D-Pad is worth clapping for in Microsoft's case.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Hahahhahah this is probably the most apropos way to describe that press conference.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the Wii U being backwards and able to download your old virtua console games... looks like Wii U won that department. Kinda shocking actually.

I don't see the big deal overall as long as I can connect to XBox live and play on my 360. When the cloud saves and 360 servers go down that will be the much bigger issue.

That's because...

DvilFfz.png

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']im hearing that it's not a must to install games on hd you can still play game on disc for free[/QUOTE]

But the concern should come from Microsoft not answering what happens if you don't pay/install the game.

Simply saying: "You can still play the game, but you can't install it to your hard drive"

Isn't something revolutionary. It's how it currently is. With them being all shady and not answering something so basic and easy, that is worrisome.

[quote name='chatgirl4']You had one job Microshit, one fuckING job and you blew it, congratufuckinglations, all you had to do was show off some games, put the always online rumor to bed, and show why I should invest in the XBOX One instead of the Playstation 4.

But instead, we get to hear about how your trying to compete with ROKU and Apple in the TV set box department, we get to see another version of Kinect that many people don't want nor care about, No official word on Backwards Compatibility or whether or not the system will play used games, no mention of an similar PS+ offering, nope, just TV TV and more TV.

I will gladly stick with my Wii U, Playstation 4 and PC, which will give me more then enough entertainment to keep me busy. You blew it MS, now piss off and die.[/QUOTE]

they did put the always online thing to bed in a interview in the post show on spike you don't have to be always online to play games. lol you will change once e3 comes when thye show mostly gameplay footage

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='htz']I still can't believe people clapped for the remedy (Quantum Break) trailer. All it showed was a ship hitting a bridge. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Courtesy claps. I didn't sense much enthusiasm from the crowd.

They were Microsoft employees standing in the back. Pretty pathetic.

[quote name='KingBroly']Used Games behind a Pay-wall
You have to register the game with Xbox Live before you can play/install it[/QUOTE]
You know, these two I'm perfectly fine with because guess what PC gamers have done for, oh, the last two decades or so. Remember don't copy that floppy? Consoles were doomed for this ever since they moved to ROM drives and I'm actually shocked it has taken this long. With as advanced as these machines are now, they can afford to forgo rentals/lenders with timed trials of games that stream to the system. Having an hour to play the game before deciding to invest (read: buy) in a title is something I fully support.

[quote name='htz']I still can't believe people clapped for the remedy (Quantum Break) trailer. All it showed was a ship hitting a bridge. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Could have been worse: could have been a train flying off that bridge for complete irony. :rofl:

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']at least they change their name and not name their systems 1,2,3,4[/QUOTE]

To me the original xbox is known as xbox 1, so in essence they are going backwards. 720 or infinity would have been a way better name.

[quote name='jkam']Not according to the wired article:

Wired asked Microsoft if installation would be mandatory. “On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play,” the company responded in an emailed statement. Sounds mandatory to us.[/QUOTE]

That would work exactly like this generations installs. You need the disc in the drive to play the installed game if your profile wasn't the initial online install.

Whelp I'm out! I've got two kids and if my only options are for them to play on my account or give a 5 year old an XBL account then I'll take the third option. No Xbox One.

If I had an Xbox One and let them have their own accounts and they both want achievements for a game or even have their own SAVES - lets say on Once Upon A Monster 2 and I have to pay a fee for the second activation then forget it. Not fucking buying it.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/xbox-one-analysis/

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']well im going to e3 so i think not hearing about the games till e3 will make me want to play them even more then hearing about them now and then going to microsoft press conf at e3 and sitting thier watching just tv stuff and no games.[/QUOTE]

So that's why you don't care about games now, you should have said that at the beginning. We want games now because we're not fortunate enough to go to E3 like you. You don't want them to talk about tv stuff at E3 because you're going and you don't want that.

Let's give Microshit some credit, the XBOX One took a cue from Sony and decided to include a system with EVERYTHING built in, you know, what the Playstation 3 had since DAY fuckING ONE?!!

Built in HDD? Check

Built in Wifi? Check

Blu-Ray drive? Check

HDMI included? Check Check

Fusion or Infinity would have been better names.

1/3 of Americans still don't have broadband so I am not sure it would be a good idea to leave them behind.

[quote name='Cage017']I don't have much experience with Halo, but with Spielberg on hand for a TV series, it can't be that bad.[/QUOTE]

Past two years Spielberg has produced Terra Nova, The River, Smash, and Falling Skies for television. I've watched all of them. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

So this generation the Wii U caters more to the hardcore gamer than the Xbox and PS4.

I really don't give a shit about live streaming or multimedia functions nor do I want to pay for these features or have them rammed down my throat everytime I turn on a console.

The used game fee is complete bullshit.

[quote name='chatgirl4']Let's give Microshit some credit, the XBOX One took a cue from Sony and decided to include a system with EVERYTHING built in, you know, what the Playstation 3 had since DAY fuckING ONE?!!

Built in HDD? Check

Built in Wifi? Check

Blu-Ray drive? Check

HDMI included? Check Check[/QUOTE]

other then blu ray pc had all that before ps3 just saying

Ign also said it will apply for users so if someone else wants to play the game on their own gamertag they have to pay a fee. Even if its the same console

Xbox. The anti family device.

Not sure why it would not tie the game to the entire system like before. That is just plain stupid. I like the fact you do not need the disk anymore but I have not idea what this means for used games. I guess the fee will determine this. Either way if PS4 does not do this I am out on Xbox even though I liked what I saw today.

Lots of questions left unanswered for me, or too vague for both consoles really. E3 should be interesting. I am curious about the 13 exclusives, but the whole TV thing is not for me since I'm not about to pay my cable company more for an extra cable box for my game room so I can hook up my XboxOne to it.

[quote name='chatgirl4']Let's give Microshit some credit, the XBOX One took a cue from Sony and decided to include a system with EVERYTHING built in, you know, what the Playstation 3 had since DAY fuckING ONE?!!

Built in HDD? Check

Built in Wifi? Check

Blu-Ray drive? Check

HDMI included? Check Check[/QUOTE]
I Feel your sig of kittens is more so to stop you from literally exploding with rage.

For people wondering how the TV watching functions will work, I'm sure the Xbox One will work as a Media Center extender like the current 360 works, plus I'm sure it'll have the Win8 MCE add-ons built into the kernel.

Add in something like one of the following devices below on your network, and I'm sure it'll work like current Win7/8 MCE devices do:
http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/atsc/ (non-CableCard capable / 2 tuners)
http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/ (CableCard capable / 3 tuners)
http://cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv-6-ethernet/ (CableCard capable / 6 tuners)

They might also support USB-connected tuners as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back