Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhat disappointed to hear that there is still the same level of latency on Kinect 2 that was on Kinect 1.(source giantbomb). Are they just repacking the thing?
Link please? My google skills have failed me.

I really think Kinect 2 is the key for MS in the long run (at least not unplayable as 1.0 was)

Amazon is currently doing a poll on which console their customers will be getting. It doesn't look pretty for the xbox one...

https://www.facebook.com/AmazonVideoGames/app_153839431317646
but yet both xbox one and ps4 launch day systems are sold out

anyone can vote that poll i bet half of those people for ps4 are kids that will not even be getting any thing
While it might not mean much either, the Xbox One is currently Amazon's top seller - over the PS4 - in video games.

(http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=sr_bs_1)
Xbox One is #1 on Amazon, but I bet you when add the PS4 sales from being #2 & #3 they add up to quite a bit more.

PS4 controller is #6,

PS4 Eye is #13,

Xbox One controller is #14,

PS4 has 4 games in the top 20,

Xbox One has 1 game (Forza 5) in top 20 at #18 below all 4 PS4 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon is currently doing a poll on which console their customers will be getting. It doesn't look pretty for the xbox one...

anyone can vote that poll i bet half of those people for ps4 are kids that will not even be getting any thing
While it might not mean much either, the Xbox One is currently Amazon's top seller - over the PS4 - in video games.

Xbox One is #1 on Amazon, but I bet you when add the PS4 sales from being #2 & #3 they add up to quite a bit more.

PS4 controller is #6,

PS4 Eye is #13,

x1 and ps4 has one first party each in top 20 rest are 3rd party gams on every system and one don't even come out till late 2014

PS4 controller is #6,

PS4 Eye is #13,

x1 and ps4 has one first party each in top 20 rest are 3rd party gams on every system and one don't even come out till late 2014
That just shows that 3rd party games that are available for both systems are selling better on the PS4 than the Xbox, which proves the point he was making. I think the controller sales are what's really telling.

In all honesty, I've got a feeling both systems are going to sell pretty well. It really doesn't matter who comes out on top between the X1 and PS4 - both are going to have the same 3rd party support, unlike the WiiU.

I personally have no gripes with the X1. Do I think Microsoft is handling this terrible? Absolutely. The X1 has the exclusives and overall features that I want out of a system and none of the "issues" have any kind of effect on me.

DRM and online issues aside, it's going to be a kick-ass year for gaming no matter what platform you choose to get. I just can't wait until November! :)

That just shows that 3rd party games that are available for both systems are selling better on the PS4 than the Xbox, which proves the point he was making. I think the controller sales are what's really telling.
Well, you cant really compare that honestly. The Xbox One controller was just lowered to $59 on 6/12. Before that it was either $79 or $99, cant remember which.

The only thing to take away from it is... both consoles are selling like hotcakes. I think one version of each is sold out on Amazon, and one is still available of both the PS4 and Xbox One. Both companies will be delighted to know that they are most likely going to sell out of every single one of their initial allotment.

Somewhat disappointed to hear that there is still the same level of latency on Kinect 2 that was on Kinect 1.(source giantbomb). Are they just repacking the thing?
Link please? My google skills have failed me.

I really think Kinect 2 is the key for MS in the long run (at least not unplayable as 1.0 was)
Is the Kinect actually that popular? Honest question, I know it sold a decent amount but I thought it was more of a one time novelty like the Wii. Just observations based on the more casual gamers I know personally who own a Kinect and haven't touched it in forever, all the hardcore gamers I know never purchased one in the first place. I actually think the exact opposite to your quote I think Kinect will be the #1 thing to hurt MS in the long run. The more hardcore game will have all the facts and know why or why not they want either system before they walk into a store. I think the more casual gamer will walk in see one at $500 and one at $400 and say to themselves "Why should I pay $100 more for a camera which I have no interest in."

Even with all the crazy restrictions of the XBone I think MS would wipe the floor with Sony if they just didn't require the Kinect and sold the XBone at the same price as the PS4 which is why I think the Kinect will be the #1 thing to hurt them.

I personally have no gripes with the X1. Do I think Microsoft is handling this terrible? Absolutely. The X1 has the exclusives and overall features that I want out of a system and none of the "issues" have any kind of effect on me.

DRM and online issues aside, it's going to be a kick-ass year for gaming no matter what platform you choose to get. I just can't wait until November! :)
I agree. Most of the major problems people have are non-issues to me as well. I have reliable internet access and rarely buy or sell used games. I am getting more excited about the One the more I read about it. If they can actually manage to lower new game prices through all this then I am all for it. Time will tell and I can't wait to see how it all plays out.

Also, I'm not really worried about not being able to play One games years down the road. I highly doubt MS will screw over everyone that supported them on the One. The DRM being greatly lessened or eliminated is the more likely scenario unless the unthinkable happens and they go out of business.

who knows if this is real... so take from it what you will
but if true, maybe it's the engineers that should be talking to the public and not PR people:

http://pastebin.com/uCmdh9jB

microsoft engineer on xb1

>The thing is we suck at telling the story. The whole point of the DRM switch from disc based to cloud based is to kill disc swapping, scratched discs, bringing discs to friends house, trade-ins for **** value with nothign going back to developers, and high game costs. If you want games cheaper then 59.99, you have to limit used games somehow. Steam's model requires a limited used game model.

>The thing is, the DRM is really really similar to steam... You can login anywhere and play your games, anyone in your house can play with the family xbox. The only diff is steam you have to sign in before playing, and Xbox does it automatically at night for you (once per 24 hours)

>It's a long tail strategy, just like steam. Steam had it's growing pains at the beginning with all it's drm **** as well. [...] For digital downloads steam had no real competition at the time, they were competing against boxed sales. At the time people were pretty irate about steam, (on 4chan too...) It was only once they had a digital marketplace with DRM that was locked down to prevent sharing that they could do super discounted ****.

>Think about it, on steam you get a game for the true cost of the game, 5$-30$. On a console you have to pay for that PLUS any additional licenses for when you sell / trade / borrow / etc. If the developer / publisher can't get it on additional licenses (like steam), then they charge the first person more. [...] If we say "Hey publishers, you limit game to 39.99, we ensure every license transfer you get 10$, gamestop gets 20$" that is a decent model... Microsoft gets a license fee on first and subsequent game purchases, compared to just first now? That's a revenue increase.

>Competition is the best man, it helps drive both to new heights. See technology from the Cold War. If we had no USSR, we'd be way worse off today. TLDR: Bring it on Steam smile.gif

2/4

>Yeah we passed that around the office at Xbox. Most of us were like "Well played Sony, Well played". That being said they are just riding the hype train of ZOMG THEY ARE TRYING TO **** US FOR NO REASON. Without actually thinking about how convienent it would be for the majority of the time to not find that disc your brother didn't put back... [...] just simpleminded people not seeing the bigger picture. Some PS4 viral team made them all "U TOOK R DISCS" and they hiveminded.

>Everyone and their mother complains about how gamestop ****s them on their trade ins, getting 5$ for their used games. We come in trying to find a way to take money out of gamestop, and put some in developers and get you possibly cheaper games and everyone bitches at MS. Well, if you want the @#$@ing from Gamestop, go play PS4.

>The goal is to move to digital downloads, but Gamestop, Walmart, Target, Amazon are KIND OF ****ING ENTRENCHED in the industry. They have a lot of power, and the shift has to be gradual. Long term goal is steam for consoles. [...] If you always want to stay with what you have, then keep current consoles, or a PS4. We're TRYING to move the industry forwards towards digital distribution... it'sa bumpy road
>Publishers have enourmous power. Microsoft is trying to balance between consumer delight, and publisher wishes. If we cave to far in either direction you have a non-starting product. WiiU goes too far to consumer, you have no 3rd party support to shake a stick at. PS4 is status-quo. XB1 is trying to push some things, at the expense of others. We have a vision, we'll see if it works in the coming years

>Living room transformation. We want to own the living room. Every living room TV with an XBox on input one. It's the thing that gives the signal to your TV, everything is secondary. The future, where games, TV, internet telephony, all that **** happens magically on some huge ass screen with hand / voice gestures... That's our goal.

3/4

>Google TV + PS4 + Minority report level gestures, that combined with a sick second screen experience (which is really hot for TV, I know I know.. tv tv tv tv tv... but it's ****ing sick when you have it). Games will be the same, there are more exclusives to MS then PS atm, and Kinect 2 makes Kinect 1 look like a childs toy.

>By default it's on, listening for "Xbox On". You can turn it off tho, and turn the console like OFF off. OFF off is required for Germany / other countries that require it (no vampire appliances) [...] It has to be plugged in for the console to post. You can turn off everything it does from the settings. Think of it like airplane mode for the iPhone. You can't just unplug the cellular radio, but you can turn it off.

>Instead of 10mins, is 24hrs for your console, and 1 or 2 at a friends house. Really the majority of people have a speck of internet at least once a day. And if you don't. Don't buy an Xbox 1. Just like if you didn't have a broadband connection don't get Live, and if you don't have an HDTV the 360 isn't that great for you either. New tech, new req. This allows us to do cool **** when we can assume things like you have a kinect, you have internet, etc.

>Current plan is basically you're ****ed after 24 hours. Yeah... I know. Kind of sucks. I believe they will probably revist the time period and / or find a diff way to "call in" to ensure you haven't sold your license to gamestop or something... but there is no plan YET. I'm hoping the change it, but I don't work on that so I don't have much influence there /sigh

>If the power goes out you ain't playing ****. I'm assuming you mean the internet goes out but you have power for TV and Xbox. Yes, You're ****ed for single player games. Again, that's the PoR (Plan of record), but I expect it to change after the e3 cluster****

>What fee? There is no fee to play your games at your friends house. Never has, never will. Even x360 digital downloads could do that.

4/4

>The cloud capabilities is the **** they like the most. We basically made a huge cloud compute **** and made it free. What people are doing with it is kind of cool. THe original intention was to get all the Multiplayer servers not requiring 3rd party costs (Like EA shutting down game servers to cut costs), as well as taking all the games that servers hosted by the clients (Halo, etc), and have all that compute done in the cloud allowing more CPU cycles for gameplay. That will really expand what developers can do. Anything that doesn't need per frame calculation and can handle 100ms delays can be shifted to the cloud. That's huge.

>SmartGlass + IE is going to be pretty freaking sweet. 1 finger cursor, 2 finger direct manip. Basically if you think of a laptop trackpad where your phone/ slate is the trackpad and the monitor is your TV... it's that. The tech is there, just needs to be applied. There is some really cool **** going on with Petra + controllers that pairs people with controllers. So if person with controller two trades controlers with controller 1, their profiles magically switch. It's sick. What does this matter? Now if you lean left/right it knows which person is leaning, even if 4 people are all int he same room. It's awesome.

>New service using Azure for cloud compute. Allows developers to not use clients for hosting multiplayer servers, or other tasks that do not require per frame calcuations. It's pretty sweet.

>Honestly, if you care about anything other then pure games AT ALL. Xbox 1 > PS4. If all you do is play games, and nothing else, PS4.

This was all from the Microsoft engineer that was on /b/ last night.

>It's not worth my time to prove it, or risk my Job. I work in Studio A, 40th ave in Redmond, Wa. The thai place in the studio cafeteria has double punch wednesdays. Go ahead and call them and verify if you want.

interesting, from what I've read the whole DRM thing is being blown out of proportion (Xbox and PS4 will end up having same DRM) and lots of half-truths and lies being posted online. But this is Microsoft's fault they need to release a CLEAR explanation of their policies. 

One point I agree with is

>Honestly, if you care about anything other then pure games AT ALL. Xbox 1 > PS4. If all you do is play games, and nothing else, PS4.

Pretty much if you sit in a small room with a 20" lcd with no internet connection just get a PS4 but for people that play on a bigger screen or in the entertainment room the obviously the Xbox is the best choice with everything it does beyond gaming

It's not anything like steam, steam is a much more open platform and we have no reason to believe those kind of prices are coming because it's Microsoft.
He says this should've been done gradually which is exactly what they aren't doing
He confirms that after 24 hours you are just fucked even if it's a single-player game.

In short fuck you MS.

interesting, from what I've read the whole DRM thing is being blown out of proportion (Xbox and PS4 will end up having same DRM)

Not even remotely true

Idiot drivel. When I want to get rid of my games I use eBay and get more than GS offers and the buyer pays less than GS charges and I get cash. Nothing ms is doing is helpful for gamers and for CAG's its downright detrimental.

In all honesty, I've got a feeling both systems are going to sell pretty well. It really doesn't matter who comes out on top between the X1 and PS4 - both are going to have the same 3rd party support, unlike the WiiU.

I pretty much feel the same way. Some people are ordering one or the other (both?) because it is the next big thing and want to brag about having one. Both are going to sell out at launch. My question is which system will people return the most often?

in 2-3 years all x1 games will be digital i would bet money on that if not sooner
No they won't. If they get in bed with trade in companies they can't go all digital
Sure they can. The future of used games, from a Microsoft perspective, is going to GameStop's website, authorizing them to deactivate a game from your account, and GameStop reselling the digital license. GreenManGaming already offers digital trade ins. To be honest, I'm not 100% against it, either.

Probably because usually there's entirely no reason to post here. Your here to see the deals, that's it.

Then you see a thread completely bashing a system for absolutely misguided reasons, white knights running around worried about everyone else, when 3 months ago they were giving each other high fives for abusing this retailer or that retailers mistake..it's beyond hypocritical.

I've had this account for damn near a year, and posted once because I missed a deal I'd like to get my kids (a black wii u). Shit, I must be a paid MS AND Nintendo shill.

Mako took clear offense even AFTER I told him that my second entry wasnt about him, that it was just in general to the thread, that they should probably seek legal advice and not advice on a gaming forum. If his panties are that upset over it, that really isnt my problem.
haha yeah all of a sudden the internet has turned into a charity where people are more worried about being able to lend games to their friends or even complete strangers than the actual games

honstly the systems are five months away i will not care about sale numbers til at least a year into the systems.

So sales numbers for X1 and PS4 don't matter for a year after the console has been out yet you've already called Wii U a failure only 7 months after its launch? Yeah bud, back to your same old pullin' it out of your ass posting I can see...

Xbox One may not be as heavy-handed with content restriction as it first appears, according to some new chatter from Microsoft’s Phil Spencer. He has said in a new interview that players will be able to share their game library with people outside their household.

Now, don’t take the above paragraph as some kind of all-forgiving about-face on Microsoft’s restrictions so far, but what Spencer has said does seem to cool the flames a little, although they’re far from doused.

It was recently confirmed that Xbox One will allow users to share their library of games with up to ten family members, but as it happens those people don’t have to be in your family. At all.

Speaking with Penny Arcade, Spencer said, “I think the policy makes sense.

“It’s not ten different people all playing the game concurrently, but when you think about a real usage scenario, and we thought about it around a family, and I know certain people will create a family group of people that aren’t all part of the same family. And I do think that’s an advantage, and people will use that.

“I saw it on NeoGAF instantly, the Xbox Family creation threads, where people said ‘Hey be a part of my family’. No birth certificates will need to be sent in. I do think that’s an advantage of the ecosystem that we have.”

There’s also confirmation that two people in your ‘family’ will be able to access the same files in your library simultaneously, but it’s unclear if this will apply to full games or not.

What’s your take on the above?

Thanks OXM.

Their engineer throws Gamestop under the bus and yet by all indications Gamestop will be the most prominent (and maybe only?) retailer of the retailers authorized to tradein X1 games.

I'm convinced those people on Live telling me what they're gonna do to my mother actually work for Microsoft directly... Their cubicles are located directly next to Dark Lord Greg.

Xbox One may not be as heavy-handed with content restriction as it first appears, according to some new chatter from Microsoft’s Phil Spencer. He has said in a new interview that players will be able to share their game library with people outside their household.
Now, don’t take the above paragraph as some kind of all-forgiving about-face on Microsoft’s restrictions so far, but what Spencer has said does seem to cool the flames a little, although they’re far from doused.
It was recently confirmed that Xbox One will allow users to share their library of games with up to ten family members, but as it happens those people don’t have to be in your family. At all.
Speaking with Penny Arcade, Spencer said, “I think the policy makes sense.
“It’s not ten different people all playing the game concurrently, but when you think about a real usage scenario, and we thought about it around a family, and I know certain people will create a family group of people that aren’t all part of the same family. And I do think that’s an advantage, and people will use that.
“I saw it on NeoGAF instantly, the Xbox Family creation threads, where people said ‘Hey be a part of my family’. No birth certificates will need to be sent in. I do think that’s an advantage of the ecosystem that we have.”
There’s also confirmation that two people in your ‘family’ will be able to access the same files in your library simultaneously, but it’s unclear if this will apply to full games or not.
What’s your take on the above?
Thanks OXM.
That sounds like what most people were expecting. MS isn't going to audit your "family" and as soon as their info dump hit the Xbox news blog site ppl were joking about taking applications for "brothers".

Why do I have this feeling we will see a repeat of last years Wii launch where there's overwhelming anecdotal evidence about sales but the "faithful" are in denial?

Doesn't look that way anymore. PS4 Standard Edition is now #1.

Doesn't look that way anymore. PS4 Standard Edition is now #1.
It's striking when you consider they're breaking the PS3 up into two different items on the chart. They sold out of day one consoles and now they're selling consoles for subsequent shipments and now that's surpassed the X1. I bet in 5 years from now the X1 has no more than 60 million sales and possibly as low as 30-40 million while be ps4 is well over 100 million.

Sales today don't matter. Calling me this time next generation and tell me where we are. 75% of the people that will be buying this thing have barely heard about it yet. Only the fanatics like us really have. You have to take all of that with such a grain of salt.

Sales today don't matter. Calling me this time next generation and tell me where we are. 75% of the people that will be buying this thing have barely heard about it yet. Only the fanatics like us really have. You have to take all of that with such a grain of salt.
/disagree
The folks you're talking about dont buy launch consoles. People that plop down 400 or 500 bucks on launch without a price drop or game pack in when their current console still has great games coming out are a small minority of the "fanatics". The rest of the gamers follow the crowd. If the early adopters avoid the XbOne then so will everyone else.

You can't target your $500 console at the "TV TV TV" crowd, you need early adopters.

Pretty much if you sit in a small room with a 20" lcd with no internet connection just get a PS4 but for people that play on a bigger screen or in the entertainment room the obviously the Xbox is the best choice with everything it does beyond gaming
I sit in a decent size room with a 12' projector screen. After a decade of Xbox, I'm going with PS4(because of all this nonsense). And the whole "if you want media get an xbox one" is horseshit. Sony has all the same apps, the only difference is the new tv functions and kinect (neither of which I want in my setup)

If the "anything other than pure games services" are free, I can see why microsoft has a good argument. We still don't know how microsoft is going to handle the "other services", they could be additional add-ons to the cost of xbox live. Microsoft didn't shell out $400 million to the NFL for nothing. We also know that the "TV switching features" require an additional cable box to work.

I don't see why anybody with a 20+" tv and an internet connection wouldn't consider a PS4 either. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant, Blu-ray, and Games are fine with what I want in a game console. Motion gaming, TV, and Sports are not worth the DRM checks, additional $100, and possible additional service fees for the other features(well for me personally).

I'm a little less gung-ho about the PS4 after seeing the third party-dictated DRM news, but there is still too much wrong with the XBone for me to change my mind right now.

At least this guy doesn't come off as totally ignorant. My main problem is this guy is comparing the XBone to Steam, and I find it hard to believe there will be a day when Microsoft ever gives us the kind of insane sales we can get on Steam.

">It's not worth my time to prove it, or risk my Job. I work in Studio A, 40th ave in Redmond, Wa. The thai place in the studio cafeteria has double punch wednesdays. Go ahead and call them and verify if you want."

I did get a laugh out of that, at least.

Idiot drivel. When I want to get rid of my games I use eBay and get more than GS offers and the buyer pays less than GS charges and I get cash. Nothing ms is doing is helpful for gamers and for CAG's its downright detrimental.
The new consoles are going to reduce the value of a lot of that shit, be it MS making the disc worthless after a second user touches it, or 3rd parties on Sony's console charging you 50-60 dollars for a re-activation. Only real difference is going to be that it's baked into the hardware on the XBone. Pick your poison.

Nice that Sony-published games supposedly won't have that restriction, but I'd bet most of your big name publishers (EA & Ubisoft) will be all about that shit. Activision is a question mark since they've been so big on not having online passes for CoD and stuff, but if you believe all the whining from companies, they are the only ones who can afford to do it that way. We'll see.

100% agreement Blaster Man.  There's no way MS can skip over the core audience to get to the casuals.  If the core doesn't buy it, casuals won't either.  They'll go with the console their friends have which will likely be PS4 this time out.  There is no carryover with the 360 ecosystem, so people are free to go with either console this gen.  There is nothing tying them to Xbox anymore. Downplaying backwards compatibility was probably the dumbest move on MS's part.  They would have a good portion of 45m 360 owners willing to concede some these rights just to continue building their library with one company, but nope, backwards compatibility is for backwards people.

As for game sharing, is MS suddenly going to open the coffers to give publishers a cut of Live?  Will they raise Live another $10 to cover game sharing to do so?

The story we've been told is that the move to digital is because publishers don't get any money on used sales.  How does a publisher get a cut of game sharing?  There's no way every game GS sells changes hands 10 times.  This sounds like a far worse scenario for publishers.  A key piece of information or caveat seems to be missing.

/disagree
The folks you're talking about dont buy launch consoles. People that plop down 400 or 500 bucks on launch without a price drop or game pack in when their current console still has great games coming out are a small minority of the "fanatics". The rest of the gamers follow the crowd. If the early adopters avoid the XbOne then so will everyone else.

You can't target your $500 console at the "TV TV TV" crowd, you need early adopters.
Steps to a successful console platform.

• Build loyalty with the hardcore gamers to build a good foundation for the platform. -Year 1
  • If step one is achieved, getting third party support will be easier.
  • Once third party support is achieved, more variety of games will be made for said platform.
  • Do a price cut to target the mainstream crowd. -Year 2-3
  • Experiment with new services and features(like kinect, entertainment apps for this generation).
Microsoft forgot what made the xbox 360 successful. It's not too late to save the xbox one but it looks like microsoft is too stubborn to realize that hardcore gamers are the most important for a console launch.

#dealwithit

Backwards compatibility are for backwards people

No internet? Get an xbox 360

Importing? No you will want to wait for xbox one to support your country.
^No respect for people that stuck with them since literally the first xbox. I'm starting to think xbox one is like a reboot of the xbox brand for apple customers.

interesting, from what I've read the whole DRM thing is being blown out of proportion (Xbox and PS4 will end up having same DRM) and lots of half-truths and lies being posted online. But this is Microsoft's fault they need to release a CLEAR explanation of their policies.
Blown out of proportion? My entire county has multiple areas where the cable is out (internet) as a result of the storms yesterday. So now I would have a $500 paperweight, but oh, it plays movies. Deal with it? I think not. The 24 hour check in is ridiculous.

I'm a little less gung-ho about the PS4 after seeing the third party-dictated DRM news, but there is still too much wrong with the XBone for me to change my mind right now.

At least this guy doesn't come off as totally ignorant. My main problem is this guy is comparing the XBone to Steam, and I find it hard to believe there will be a day when Microsoft ever gives us the kind of insane sales we can get on Steam.

">It's not worth my time to prove it, or risk my Job. I work in Studio A, 40th ave in Redmond, Wa. The thai place in the studio cafeteria has double punch wednesdays. Go ahead and call them and verify if you want."

I did get a laugh out of that, at least.

The new consoles are going to reduce the value of a lot of that shit, be it MS making the disc worthless after a second user touches it, or 3rd parties on Sony's console charging you 50-60 dollars for a re-activation. Only real difference is going to be that it's baked into the hardware on the XBone. Pick your poison.

Nice that Sony-published games supposedly won't have that restriction, but I'd bet most of your big name publishers (EA & Ubisoft) will be all about that shit. Activision is a question mark since they've been so big on not having online passes for CoD and stuff, but if you believe all the whining from companies, they are the only ones who can afford to do it that way. We'll see.
Publishers may talk big about used games but if nobody is willing to invest in an infrastructure for them to limit used games, they will most likely not do a thing about it. Having that infrastructure built is not cheap and they probably did the math that implementing used games restrictions would probably cost more for them than letting it stay as-is. Michael Patcher has always said that the publishers wanted the platform holders (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft) to build that infrastructure, so they don't have to worry about the cost. With Sony not building that infrastructure, it gives the publishers less motivation to restrict used games, cause they have to worry about out of pocket cost, what if their competitors don't do it, and retailers like GameStop.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/online-passes/cid=STORE-MSF77008-ADDONSONLINEPASS

^Take a look at the PSN Store, only 35 games have online pass. You can eliminate THQ and Sony from that list for next generation. That leaves EA and Ubisoft as the only major publishers. Are EA and Ubisoft really going to spend money on infrastructure to block used games considering the negatives of those consequences that I wrote about before? What Microsoft has done is built and paid for the ability to block used games platform wide. If I was a publisher, I wouldn't mind taking up on Microsoft's offer if everything is already there for me to implement used games restriction without costing me a dime but profit from used games.

Xbox and PS4 will end up having same DRM
Not at all true. MS will allow publishers to put fees into used games sales or block the sale of specific games used completely. PS4 will allow online passes and some of the biggest names from the PS3 who used them have already said they are done with them.

As for the OP. It pretty much means nothing. No one has any idea if it is actually someone from MS so it really is worthless but even if you assume it is some of the ideas he puts forth are just not based in fact. My biggest gripe is that he tries to claim that this will ultimately lead to Steam like sales which is just delusional. By forcing fees onto used game sales and keeping the prices artificially high you are effectively cutting out that competition, a lack of competition never equals lower prices, that's just not how it works. He even tries to claim we love competition when talking about Steam who really aren't their competition without realizing that they are in fact trying to be rid of or completely control Gamestop who are their direct competition.

Maybe the biggest thing that should give this guy away as not an engineer, he used IE and freaking sweet in the same sentence. (This ones a joke....sorta)

htz are you getting an X1?
What do you think? (Before you call me a fanboy, I supported Microsoft day 1 for the xbox 360).

Edit: I still got some of my xbox 360 souvenirs from that day.

urp.jpg

Xbox and PS4 will end up having same DRM
Not at all true. MS will allow publishers to put fees into used games sales or block the sale of specific games used completely. PS4 will allow online passes and some of the biggest names from the PS3 who used them have already said they are done with them.

As for the OP. It pretty much means nothing. No one has any idea if it is actually someone from MS so it really is worthless but even if you assume it is some of the ideas he puts forth are just not based in fact. My biggest gripe is that he tries to claim that this will ultimately lead to Steam like sales which is just delusional. By forcing fees onto used game sales and keeping the prices artificially high you are effectively cutting out that competition, a lack of competition never equals lower prices, that's just not how it works. He even tries to claim we love competition when talking about Steam who really aren't their competition without realizing that they are in fact trying to be rid of or completely control Gamestop who are their direct competition.

Maybe the biggest thing that should give this guy away as not an engineer, he used IE and freaking sweet in the same sentence. (This ones a joke....sorta)
I agree, Steam can't be compared to PS Store or Xbox Live Marketplace. Amazon, GMG, GameFly, etc... are competing with steam on digital game prices. The platform holder and publishers dictate the prices on PS Store and Xbox Live Marketplace, not the retailers.

You're right today's preorders don't matter but when the competitors system is $100 less.People are gonna buy the cheapest box that can play their Fifa,Madden or Call of Duty.That's gonna take a huge chunk of the market. Price trumps all,even brand loyalty.

Unless of course you already have a HTPC connected to your tv.

That story would be great, if in fact Xbox One titles weren't priced exactly the same as for PS4. I suppose it's possible the prices are placeholders, but if the games were going to be cheaper you'd sure think MS would have been shouting it from the tops of trees at E3. They didn't.

Here's the thing...this guy is even trying to sell us on the point that Microsoft made the Xbox One for people who don't want to have to switch discs or get ripped off by GameStop's low trade in values. Seriously??? So, you've designed your console for the Lazy As fuck Stupid Gamer... When we're at the point that we're too damn fat and lazy to get up out of our chair, and too damn stupid and lazy to find better ways to maximize our used game sales, there's something wrong. What makes even less sense is that Gamestop is LIKELY to be one of the only "participating retailers" that you'll be able to take your games to anyway.

Whether or not this format is even helpful to Microsoft is irrelevant. This guy is trying to convince us that this is how it benefits US. I'm not buying into that...and I will never buy into that. The positive for digital media is LOW COST. The positive for no resale is LOW COST. He can only speculate on that. Until Microsoft themselves steps up and shows that this will reduce game costs, it's no guarantee. Right now, the only facts they have is that you won't have to switch discs and that used sales will be limited. And neither of those things provide me with any benefit.

Htz, I only got an Xbox chair from Target that morning! I would have much rather had a faceplate.

Drop the 24 hour check in requirement and I'll drop my protest. Simple as that. I posted in the other thread that internet/cable was down all over my area from that string of storms on the east coast. I don't need a bricked console from circumstances out of my control.

I guess Adam Orth would tell me to deal with it or move. Arrogance.

Wow, that really reads like someone who has started to believe their own bullshit.

Yeah limiting choice will certainly lead to cheaper game prices, what a crock of shit.

"Everyone is too stupid to see the big picture here, only us MS engineers can understand it, just trust us....", uh-huh  :roll:

Also I guess in MS land everyone pays $59.99 for all games, can't remember the last time I paid $59.99 for a 360 game and I rarely buy used.

That sounds like what most people were expecting. MS isn't going to audit your "family" and as soon as their info dump hit the Xbox news blog site ppl were joking about taking applications for "brothers".

Why do I have this feeling we will see a repeat of last years Wii launch where there's overwhelming anecdotal evidence about sales but the "faithful" are in denial?
That's what us rational people were expecting ever since it was announced on Monday. I don't understand the hive mind of the Internet. To me, the family share is a bigger plus than the trade/selling restrictions are a detractor. Me and 9 of my friends all buy different games and take turns playing them without having to exchange discs. That's the equivalent of each of us paying $6 per game. I don't know about you, but that's a hell of a lot cheaper than going to GameStop and buying used games. And, at $6 a pop, I have no motivation to ever want to trade it in anyway.

Sure, we'll all have to buy online games if we want to play together, but outside of Borderlands and fighters, that's not an awful lot of games for my crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back