Yakuza 4 - General Discussion - Out Now!

[quote name='MasterMiller']just finished it.

How the IGN reviewer could give this game such a low score is beyond me, and the story is excellent. To make 4 stories that connect so seamlessly in the end has to be really hard and they made this game in a year.

I bet he didn't play through it.[/QUOTE]
Ah, cool. I like stories in movies and games that start seperately then come together in the end. Are there surprises as to how they all comingle?

Also, can you guys all say the graphics are much improved over 3? I am seeing screen shots online and they look much improved to me. Just curious.

[quote name='wrencrest']Also, can you guys all say the graphics are much improved over 3? I am seeing screen shots online and they look much improved to me. Just curious.[/QUOTE]

I think they're improved. They're not going to knock your socks off but it seems that the characters have more detail, the animations are more fluid, the city has more depth. If you liked 3, you're going to like this. If you loved 3 (like I did) you're going to love it :bouncy:

[quote name='jh6269']So who else other than Supplice is playing on hard? It sucks because I already found a ton of keys and got about 3 - 7 side quests done. I didn't make it to your spoiler part yet though. Is it really that hard? Like playing Vanquish on hard-hard? There were a couple of times on normal on the last game that were really tough; like fighting the guy on the beach and fighting the crazy guy with the eye patch. If hard mode is going to make everyone as tough as them, I dunno if I want to start over.

Also, I got 2 bonus items for having a Yakuza 3 save, and it gave me some kind of wrap that lowers my damage and some kind of bell thing that when both used in combination increases my money as I walk. Is this the same for everyone? Or is this just lucky? Also, I want to know if I use them, do they wear out or can you use it the whole time?[/QUOTE]

im playing it on hard i played yakuza 3 on hard too. it still feels pretty easy on hard until you get to the later game bosses but so far ive spent most of my time searching for keys and exploring the area man this game really feels massive this time and more like a real city.

btw be sure you all vist club sega and play the crane game where theres
afro dolls
. doing that will lead you to something good.

I've just been trying to do all side quests possible. I'm not sure if there is any in Y3, but I went ahead and got high scores/beating the AI in bowling, batting cages, darts, golf, and billiards. Those mini-games were the ones in Y3 that gave you an additional sidequest.

[quote name='lokizz']
btw be sure you all vist club sega and play the crane game where theres
afro dolls
. doing that will lead you to something good.[/QUOTE]

Bleh, I had enough of UFO catcher in Y3 when going for mini-game master. Listening to that song for 45 mins....:bomb: Guess I'll play it if there's a reward in it.

[quote name='wrencrest']Ah, cool. I like stories in movies and games that start seperately then come together in the end. Are there surprises as to how they all comingle?

Also, can you guys all say the graphics are much improved over 3? I am seeing screen shots online and they look much improved to me. Just curious.[/QUOTE]

Yes there are a lot of twists, not only at the end.

Graphics look better, no huge improvement but the lighting/shadowing is a lot better (probably work on the shaders) and the streets look more detailed. It's more about refinement

got a hostess question
does anyone know what part of kansai Erena is from? the choices are osaka, Kyoto and Hyogo. I tried googling it but no dice so any help would be appreciated.

[quote name='lokizz']got a hostess question
does anyone know what part of kansai Erena is from? the choices are osaka, Kyoto and Hyogo. I tried googling it but no dice so any help would be appreciated.
[/QUOTE]
Answer:
Kyoto
:bouncy:

[quote name='feroca']Answer:
Kyoto
:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info helped me out as far as
getting a card from her
im surprised theres so few guides or anything for this game. even though its new to the us with games like this there tend to be more faqs out there.

Just to let everyone know, there is supposedly only one missable mission in the game and it involves Hana in Chapter 4 of Akiyama's story. I missed it and I'm kind of mad, will have to wait for premium adventure.

Well, after 25 hours I finally finished Akiyama's story. Don't laugh! I was exploring and having a fun time.

The opening cinema and story of Saejima is VERY awesome, I actually liked
Goh Hamazaki in this one. He showed how honorable he could actually be. And Saejima crying? What an awesome story so far.

I beat the story tonight. I wanted to do the side stuff, but I couldn't. I needed to see what happened in the story, and wow. So awesome.

I'll be doing everything else in Premium Adventure now.

[quote name='handsome_rakshas']Just to let everyone know, there is supposedly only one missable mission in the game and it involves Hana in Chapter 4 of Akiyama's story. I missed it and I'm kind of mad, will have to wait for premium adventure.

Well, after 25 hours I finally finished Akiyama's story. Don't laugh! I was exploring and having a fun time.

The opening cinema and story of Saejima is VERY awesome, I actually liked
Goh Hamazaki in this one. He showed how honorable he could actually be. And Saejima crying? What an awesome story so far.
[/QUOTE]

which mission is that im in ch 4 now and dont want to miss anything. also does anyone have a guide as far as how to dress the hostesses? i found a bit on gamefaqs that has like 2 or 3 diff outfit combos
( conservative, flashy/gorgeous, cute)
but im thinking theres has to be more.

the game is awesome i was worried though money may end up being hard to come by but after a few rounds of blackjack money is no longer an issue lol.

Having a blast with Yakuza 3. I was fine with the babysitting for the first part of the game, but now getting towards the end it's starting to get real annoying. I'm on like Chapter 10 and I'm trying to find Ayako (I think?). I can't find her ass anywhere...

[quote name='Buuhan1']I'm on like Chapter 10 and I'm trying to find Ayako (I think?). I can't find her ass anywhere...[/QUOTE]

Visit the coin lockers in downtown.

A year ago, you might remember, SEGA ran a competition promoting their Japanese mafia sandbox title Yakuza 3, with the prize being a bigass full back-piece tattoo matching that of the game's protagonist Kazuma Kiryu, valued at over $9000.

Today, as Yakuza 4 is about to hit shelves, SEGA have let us know that the competition winner actually went through with it and now has one of the most extreme pieces of videogame body-art in the world.

According to SEGA, the winner is 46 year-old Fari Salievski from Liverpool NSW and is actually a full-time martial arts instructor and MMA trainer.

The tattoo work was done by artist Josh Roelink of Tatudharma Studios in Sydney, who incidentally is the same guy responsible for the colourful decorations all over AusGamers' own Steve Farrelly. Rather awesomely, Roelink, was immediately familiar with the Japanese artist responsible for the game's artwork and contacted him for approval to re-create it.

Click here and here for a couple of high-res images of the tattoo or check out SEGA's press release PDF for more info, including an interview with the prize winner.

Entire tattoo took approximately six months to complete.

The end result..
yakuza4-tattoo-2.jpg

ausgamers.com

That's pretty awesome.

I don't know if I would get the tattoo if I won, but I'm glad the person that did went through with it. Looks perfect.

Game related though, trying to do the number one hostess stuff. Kind of time consuming.

Just started this up today must say I am really feeling the fighting in this one seems a lot easier (might be because I played 3 on Hard). Well worth 40$

[quote name='bjstucker']Just started this up today must say I am really feeling the fighting in this one seems a lot easier (might be because I played 3 on Hard). Well worth 40$[/QUOTE]
`

the combat is easier. ive only just now gotten to the next guys story ( playing on hard mode) and the only time ive ever been near death was during the
rooftop training missions.
4 of which are super cheap, i havent even felt a need to buy health/food items either except for the things you have to do it for.

so ive been wondering is it because i played y3 and im now good at it or are enemies just weaker. even with the easy combat i love the game though the story is very interesting and the side stuff is addicting. just need to figure out how to play
pachinko.

Definitely play the game on HARD. I've played so much on NORMAL and I'm wishing I would have started on HARD. Now I'm too far in to start over :(

Still loving the game though.

They definitely cranked down the difficulty for 3 and 4. I remember 1 being pretty damn hard on normal, hell I even had to switch to Easy towards the end in order to beat Majima (my fault, I never stocked up on health items and all those gun wielding enemies kicked my ass prior). 2 I can't comment on as I played through on Easy as a result of my experience with 1, but went back to Normal for 3 and 4.

I only died once in 3, and that's cause I had low health from previous fights and completely ignored my health. I died in 4 during the final boss in part 1 with Akiyama the exact same way, had low health and completely ignored the situation. I also died during the training as Akiyama while fighting the instructor with the machine gun, yeah... that was BS. I was damn disappointed with the final boss fight in 3... that was pathetically easy. The final boss in 2 on Easy was harder.

I just got to Tanimura's story in 4, I've been clearing a single part a day as it so happens.

[quote name='jh6269']Definitely play the game on HARD. I've played so much on NORMAL and I'm wishing I would have started on HARD. Now I'm too far in to start over :([/QUOTE]

There's a trophy that requires a playthrough on normal so don't feel too bad. For those that want the plat like myself, 3 playthroughs are required. One on normal, hard, and EX-hard. Looks like I'm going the route of hard > Ex-hard > normal :lol:. Anyway, I'm really enjoying Mahjong and Pachinko.

[quote name='Buuhan1'] I was damn disappointed with the final boss fight in 3... that was pathetically easy.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I only prolonged that fight just for the music.

[quote name='Supplice']There's a trophy that requires a playthrough on normal so don't feel too bad. For those that want the plat like myself, 3 playthroughs are required. One on normal, hard, and EX-hard. Looks like I'm going the route of hard > Ex-hard > normal :lol:. [/QUOTE]

Are you sure about that? Most games I've played, if you beat it on hard, you get the normal trophy too...

[quote name='jh6269']Are you sure about that? Most games I've played, if you beat it on hard, you get the normal trophy too...[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure. Basing that by what I've read from responses in other forums that have cleared it on hard.

silver.png
-The Persistent Man
Clear the NORMAL difficulty setting without having cleared the EASY difficulty setting

According to the folks on ps3trophies.org, you do need to play on normal to get that trophy. So the difficulty trophies do not stack and if you want the plat or more trophies you have to play the game 3 times.

I really can't understand a lot of Yakuza's japanese mini-games, such as Mahjong and Pachinko. I was trying to figure out what to do with Pachinko yesterday and... I couldn't. Do I just... let the balls flow and wait for something to happen?

Also, I can't seem to earn the "Welcome to Club SEGA" trophy. I've played the shooter game and both sides of the UFO catcher at each of the two locations... no trophy.

Best thing to do is go to the various trophy sites to see if there is a reported glitch or you did something wrong. PS3trophies.org is my personal favorite.

For those that can read Japanese, the RGG4 wiki is great. Anyway, I cleared all the hostess stuff from Tanimura's chapter.

[quote name='wrencrest']According to the folks on ps3trophies.org, you do need to play on normal to get that trophy. So the difficulty trophies do not stack and if you want the plat or more trophies you have to play the game 3 times.[/QUOTE]

That blows, but I guess it's cool since I'm playing on normal now instead of later.

Anyone know if you carry over stuff in subsequent play-throughs, and if so, do you get credit for beating it on HARD if you use your level-ed up character, the money, and your items?

Yes, you can beat it on hard and etc, using your leveled up character. When starting a premium New Game, your character levels, items, and equipment carry over, but everything else is wiped.

[quote name='Supplice']For those that can read Japanese, the RGG4 wiki is great. Anyway, I cleared all the hostess stuff from Tanimura's chapter.[/QUOTE]

Is this a trophy guide on a Japanese site or something, or an actual wiki? The series doesn't seem to have a good wiki sadly. Yakuza,wikia.com is very lacking and reads like it was written by kids, and ryugagotoku.wikia.com seems like it was never truly started. I love wikia's not only for the info but because they almost generally have tons of HQ artwork/models from the game uploaded. I can't find HQ images of game models anywhere.

[quote name='Buuhan1']
I just got to Tanimura's story in 4, I've been clearing a single part a day as it so happens.[/QUOTE]

basically today I beat 2 parts it is such an addiciting game totally going to plow through it this weekend.

Yeah, I cleared two today as well. Tomorrow will be the beat and random trophy grabbing day. Was gonna go back to Y3 and work on trophies after Y4, but nah, I'll come back to it later. 2012 may very well be a Yakuza-less year afterall. Considering I played all 4 in the course of a year, let's see if I have a withdrawal phase. XD

But hopefully of the End will see itself in the US next March since apparently SEGA is already localising it... but this whole mess in Japan could see it cancelled. Be a shame to see all that work wasted.

Beat it... but at a price. Tainmura was the only character who didn't have plenty of health items on him, plus I hate the character and can't use him well. So I end up fighting through the 3 fights before his only to be completely screwed. Needless to say I raged, I raged hard... and, I'm not proud to admit this, my phone rang during this and I promptly threw it into the floor... breaking the screen.

I guess even at 20 I can still be an immature little prick at times, I still can't believe I did that... and actually stocking up on drinks and refighting those 3 fights only took about 10 minutes, so it definitely was nothing to get bent out of shape about. Still I don't think Tainmura's fight should have been last, it wasn't epic in any means unlike the others, definitely should have been first.

As for the game itself... I'm sad to say it was kinda disappointing. The first 3 games I felt had a well crafted story that ended on a strong note... this did not.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Beat it... but at a price. Tainmura was the only character who didn't have plenty of health items on him, plus I hate the character and can't use him well. So I end up fighting through the 3 fights before his only to be completely screwed. Needless to say I raged, I raged hard... and, I'm not proud to admit this, my phone rang during this and I promptly threw it into the floor... breaking the screen.

I guess even at 20 I can still be an immature little prick at times, I still can't believe I did that... and actually stocking up on drinks and refighting those 3 fights only took about 10 minutes, so it definitely was nothing to get bent out of shape about. Still I don't think Tainmura's fight should have been last, it wasn't epic in any means unlike the others, definitely should have been first.

As for the game itself... I'm sad to say it was kinda disappointing. The first 3 games I felt had a well crafted story that ended on a strong note... this did not.[/QUOTE]

Dude, don't do that to yourself, it's not healthy.

I'm still non the first section. I've been doing side quests and getting keys. I still am really enjoying the game. Sad to hear that the story is not as deep as before, but to be honest, it was a little tough to follow Y3's story having to read all the subtitles.

I just hope that the Yakuza series is now taking root in the US and that will mean we'll get more of this series in the future.

I know it's not healthy, I was more made at myself than the game in retrospect. I know from previous games to always stock up on health items, yet the one character I DIDN'T stock up on had the worst fight to deal with. XD

I'm horrified of what that fight will be like on hard and ex-hard. I know the fight is so hard cause I don't use the character properly, but I can't help that. You can't expect me to master all this parrying crap when the games have trained me to button mash more or less.

I fucking hate Saito, he's a massive asshole each time you fight him.
You have to fight him again as Kazuma and he is just as much of a bitch to deal with.

[quote name='Buuhan1']I fucking hate Saito, he's a massive asshole each time you fight him.
You have to fight him again as Kazuma and he is just as much of a bitch to deal with.
[/QUOTE]

oh hell yes
I thought after the first time I was done with that prick when you have to fight him again holy crap was I pissed especially because I only had one cola and I thought he was going to rape me with his baton fighting Kazuma pissed me off too because he would knock me down then taunt the shit out of me and become super fast thankfully I beat him right before I had to head to work.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Beat it... but at a price. Tainmura was the only character who didn't have plenty of health items on him, plus I hate the character and can't use him well. So I end up fighting through the 3 fights before his only to be completely screwed. Needless to say I raged, I raged hard... and, I'm not proud to admit this, my phone rang during this and I promptly threw it into the floor... breaking the screen.

As for the game itself... I'm sad to say it was kinda disappointing. The first 3 games I felt had a well crafted story that ended on a strong note... this did not.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit. :rofl: I was waiting to post in this topic for something epic when the game came out and I think this is it.

I'm currently in Chapter 1 of Tanimura. Loving it.

People saying they had trouble fighting Kazuma, I didn't have any trouble at all. In fact I was disappointed with how easy he was. I kicked his ass... but I didn't feel good about it. I'm sorry, Uncle Kaz. ;_;

But man, I really suck at using Tanimura, that's why that last fight was so hard for me I'd say. His final boss fight in part 3 was damn hard too. Tanimura is the main reason I'm dreading hard and ex-hard.

i hate using the second guy hes too damn slow even when you level him up hes too slow for me especially after uing the powerhouse which is the first guy. fights take longer to finish now btw has anyone found a guide anywhere that has
revelations
listed? i hate having to go back and retry them if i choose wrong so itd be great to be able to do it just once.

[quote name='lokizz']i hate using the second guy hes too damn slow even when you level him up hes too slow for me especially after uing the powerhouse which is the first guy. fights take longer to finish now btw has anyone found a guide anywhere that has
revelations
listed? i hate having to go back and retry them if i choose wrong so itd be great to be able to do it just once.[/QUOTE]
Akiyama (Cell Phone) - Starting from Part 1, Chapter 4
1) Essence of Triple Strike
Location: Story-related, on the roof when you’re first introduced to Mack
Answer: “The way he was leaping and bounding was amazing.”

2) Essence of Loin Reaving
Location: Rooftops East Entrance, accessible via Nakamichi Alley
Answer: “Right in the jewels. I know that hurt.”

3) Essence of Comebacks
Location: Pink St. North, a couple in an alley next to a group of three talking about kung-fu masters
Answer: “Hmm. A counterattack when one’s guard is broken?”

Saejima (Wood Carving) - Starting from Part 2, Chapter 3
1) Essence of Smashing
Location: Pink St. North, a couple in an alley next to a group of three talking about kung-fu masters
Answer: “She kicked right through his guard”

2) Essence of Clotheslining
Location: In front of Poppo Nakmichi St., a man will be bothering a woman in white
Answer: “He used the momentum to land a powerful blow.”

3) Essence of Super Heavy Weapons
Location: Docks, man in a barrel surrounded by two yakuza men
Answer: “Something as heavy as that is sure to do some damage”

4) Essence of Bell Ringing
Answer: He slammed straight into the wall

Tanimura (Sketching) - Starting from Part 3, Chapter 2
1) Essence of Guillotine Heel
Location: Couple playing UFO Catcher inside Club Sega, Theater Square
Answer: He hit one toy to make the other fall

2) Essence of Ball and Chain
Location: Guy bending at Vending Machine outside Hotel Volescia, Hotel District
Answer: Backwards between the legs, huh?

3) Essence of Skull-Crushing
Location: Girl student on mobile phone next to electrical pole, east Park Blvd.
Answer: A powerful blow landed when he was off guard.

Kazuma Kiryu (After meeting Komaki at Ryugujo)
1) Essence of Taunting
Location: In front of Poppo Nakmichi St., a man will be bothering a woman in white
Answer: “A powerful hit after a taunt works well”

2) Essence of Merciless Throwing
Answer: “She didn’t even let him fall”
http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/yakuza-4/99305-yakuza-4-roadmap-trophy-guide.html

I'm kinda surprised Y3 or Y4 didn't have a trophy for maxing out Haruka's Trust/Happiness level. I'm compelled to do this as I like Haruka... but it's kinda a long process and feels empty that there's no trophy to be had.

How do you guys play the games, I wonder? Do you more or less button mash the regular combos (Square x3, Triangle x3+), or do you go in depth with the fighting system? Across all 4 games I've always more or less done the default Square x3 + Triangle (x3+ when it's unlocked) along with the standards HEAT actions, I think that's why I'm so crappy with Tanimura as that's not how he's suppose to be used.

I tried it a little in Y3, but didn't go much into it since she just took my money. I read up on it though, and some of condition's for maxing out Haruka's trust level were pretty surprising. See spoiler for the Y3's conditions.
RANK SSS
Mach Bowl: Get 270 or more in one game
Bantam: Win against Iba Kouji (hard) in 701 darts game, in 5 or less rounds
Yoshida Batting Center: Get 3,000 or more at the Hard Course
Children's Park: Give 30,000,000 yen to the man on the bench

Anyway, I go in-depth with the fighting system and memorize the counters at least.

[quote name='Buuhan1']I'm kinda surprised Y3 or Y4 didn't have a trophy for maxing out Haruka's Trust/Happiness level. I'm compelled to do this as I like Haruka... but it's kinda a long process and feels empty that there's no trophy to be had.

How do you guys play the games, I wonder? Do you more or less button mash the regular combos (Square x3, Triangle x3+), or do you go in depth with the fighting system? Across all 4 games I've always more or less done the default Square x3 + Triangle (x3+ when it's unlocked) along with the standards HEAT actions, I think that's why I'm so crappy with Tanimura as that's not how he's suppose to be used.[/QUOTE]

i get drunk so as to make it easier to get to heat mode, i used the biggest combo i can get and then kill as many people as i can with heat moves to speed things up.

also when it came to hitting up all the bars/restaurants id go find a fight and let them beat me down to very low energy then kill them go to whatever place i need to get food at and eat as much as i can to speed along getting everything.

btw did any of you miss the
black icecream
? a friend of mine whose playing y4 too did and was pretty pissed lol.

money is really easy to get this go around for me now that i know what alot of those bobbles and bits are used for.
especially that green roulette gem.
i made 36,000 chips with that thing which if you use those to buy platinum plates puts you in a good spot financially for dating and such.

[quote name='bjstucker']
Akiyama (Cell Phone) - Starting from Part 1, Chapter 4
1) Essence of Triple Strike
Location: Story-related, on the roof when you’re first introduced to Mack
Answer: “The way he was leaping and bounding was amazing.”

2) Essence of Loin Reaving
Answer: “Right in the jewels. I know that hurt.”

3) Essence of Comebacks
Answer: “Hmm. A counterattack when one’s guard is broken?”

Saejima (Wood Carving) - Starting from Part 2, Chapter 3
1) Essence of Smashing
Answer: “She kicked right through his guard”

2) Essence of Clotheslining
Answer: “He used the momentum to land a powerful blow.”

3) Essence of Super Heavy Weapons
Location: Docks, man in a barrel surrounded by two yakuza men
Answer: “Something as heavy as that is sure to do some damage”

4) Essence of Bell Ringing
Answer: He slammed straight into the wall

Tanimura (Sketching) - Starting from Part 3, Chapter 2
1) Essence of Guillotine Heel
Location: Couple playing UFO Catcher inside Club Sega, Theater Square
Answer: He hit one toy to make the other fall

2) Essence of Ball and Chain
Location: Guy bending at Vending Machine outside Hotel Volescia, Hotel District
Answer: Backwards between the legs, huh?

3) Essence of Skull-Crushing
Location: Girl student on mobile phone next to electrical pole, east Park Blvd.
Answer: A powerful blow landed when he was off guard.

Kazuma Kiryu (After meeting Komaki at Ryugujo)
1) Essence of Taunting
Answer: “A powerful hit after a taunt works well”

2) Essence of Merciless Throwing
Answer: “She didn’t even let him fall”
http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/yakuza-4/99305-yakuza-4-roadmap-trophy-guide.html[/QUOTE]

thanks for the list man this will hopefully cut down on my overall game time and general frustration lol.

bread's done
Back