Yakuza 4 - General Discussion - Out Now!

Everything he complains about in his review are things that have been in all the games. I guess he expected that things would suddenly change in Yakuza 4, a title that came a mere year after it's previous entry. The things he complains about I agree with, the combat is repetitive and the map tiresome. But this has been the case since Yakuza 1 and I've grown to accept these things with the game and still have a great time. This is largely due to the games stories, so hopefully Yakuza 4's story actually is good unlike what his review states.

ign reviews tend to be a joke nowdays. if its not ones liek this then its a reviewer complaining about having to unlock characters in a fighting game or a game having too steep of a learning curve or a sequel being more of the same. add to that the fact that a number of their reviewers are biased for or against games and franchises its hard to use their reviews to help with purchase choices unless theres video footage you can watch.

i cant wait to play y4.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Is this supposed to be a problem?

What a dumbass reviewer.

EDIT: Just noticed Buuhan1's new title. :rofl: Just to let you know, I also call my cat that.[/QUOTE]

I call my dog similar things. I know he's getting up there at the age of 16 and can't control himself, but I get cranky when you wake me at several times in the middle of the night wanting a walk. To be fair tho, he bitches at me a lot too.

Oh boy, only 3 more days people! I just beat Yakuza 2 a few weeks ago, and now I'm bout to go into Yakuza 3 and 4 most likely back to back. And due to them both having trophies, I have more incentive to play past the usual 20 hour story. Well, least this'll keep me occupied for games still a few months off (c'mon No More Heroes PS3 and Alice!)

I can understand why but that sure sucks for Irem. The game was literally almost done and it's a big ($$) series for them. The original release date was supposed to be the 10th, the day before the shit hit the fan, but was delayed to Spring last month. Creepy....

EDIT: It's the 9PM the night before this game is supposed to arrive at my doorstep (Release Date Delivery) and it's still Shipping Soon.....

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Cheapy just posted this is $39..99 at Best Buy.

Yakuza 4

I may have missed out on the hostess theme, but thats a great price.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully amazon price matches tomorrow so I can get the game for 15 dollars.

Yakuza 4

My god...

And this is what I get for preordering. However, it shipped at 10:30 PM last night and is STILL out for delivery today, so HUGE kudos to Amazon for getting it to me on time.

Yakuza 4

Sonofa.... maybe I shouldn't be so quick to use Amazon's Release Date Delivery.

Just got back from Kmart with Yakuza 3 and 4. They put one of those stupid boxes on the coverart detailing that the game has additional features (the costumes and such). WHY? How pointless and ugly.

Hey guys, get a load of this. The DLC voucher that comes with Yakuza 4... doesn't expire till March 28, 2016. Twenty-Sixteen! That's crazy, all DLC vouchers and similar code vouchers I've seen to this point have averaged an expiration of about a year after the main products release. A 5 year expiration is nuts... we'll most likely be a few years into the PlayStation 4 by that point.

EDIT: Oh wow, the XMB wallpaper is awful. I mean... what...

[quote name='Buuhan1']Hey guys, get a load of this. The DLC voucher that comes with Yakuza 4... doesn't expire till March 28, 2016. Twenty-Sixteen! That's crazy, all DLC vouchers and similar code vouchers I've seen to this point have averaged an expiration of about a year after the main products release. A 5 year expiration is nuts... we'll most likely be a few years into the PlayStation 4 by that point.

EDIT: Oh wow, the XMB wallpaper is awful. I mean... what...[/QUOTE]

Is it the GS theme? Whats so bad about it?

Got back from GS with my copy. Hostess Dynamic XMB theme is not bad. It doesn't have those super duper loud gunshot sound effects each time you select something like the Yakuza 3 one did.

So tempted to pop this in now, but I'm afraid it will start off with a long story cutscene and I have to leave the house soon :(

[quote name='jh6269']
So tempted to pop this in now, but I'm afraid it will start off with a long story cutscene and I have to leave the house soon :([/QUOTE]

you had the right feeling, it really starts with a chain of long cutscenes.:)

[quote name='MasterMiller']you had the right feeling, it really starts with a chain of long cutscenes.:)[/QUOTE]

LOL thanks. I just knew it.

[quote name='whoknows']Is it the GS theme? Whats so bad about it?[/QUOTE]

No, the XMB wallpaper that appears on screen when you have the game highlighted. It's the game's boxart in the middle of the screen with two thick black borders on each side of it (the boxart image is even thinner than a 4:3 image), there's a little bit of the red smear effect bleeding from the boxart into the black borders. It looks like it was done by a 12 year old for a school project. Dunno what was so hard about simply having a 16:9 shot of the boxart, hell, that's my PS3 wallpaper right now.

You'll understand when you see it.

Man, I wish you guys would have warned me about the enormous install. I could have had this all ready for when I got back. :p

[quote name='Buuhan1']No, the XMB wallpaper that appears on screen when you have the game highlighted. It's the game's boxart in the middle of the screen with two thick black borders on each side of it (the boxart image is even thinner than a 4:3 image), there's a little bit of the red smear effect bleeding from the boxart into the black borders. It looks like it was done by a 12 year old for a school project. Dunno what was so hard about simply having a 16:9 shot of the boxart, hell, that's my PS3 wallpaper right now.

You'll understand when you see it.[/QUOTE]

I saw it.

Really not a big deal though, I mean I'm rarely at that screen long enough to see the pic. Usually I just hit X to start the game.

[quote name='jh6269']Man, I wish you guys would have warned me about the enormous install. I could have had this all ready for when I got back. :p[/QUOTE]

Let the catchy music and handsome CGI men carry you away. It'll be over in no time. XD

[quote name='Buuhan1']Let the catchy music and handsome CGI men carry you away. It'll be over in no time. XD[/QUOTE]

It would have been more tolerable if they would have switched the music up. I ended up having to mute it after it got to about 20% :lol:

Anyway, don't know if it's just me, but the graphics are really improved over Yakuza 3. I really like the whole rain and wet pavement effect. The characters are still a bit blocky but it's still a definite improvement.

Son of a bitch.... Apparently Of the End is ready for retail AND copies were already produced AND sent to a store in Japan. And they delayed it indefinitely.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/03/16/yakuza_ote_not_totally_delayed/

Not pleased, tsunami.

Didn't get a chance to play 4 yesterday though it arrived. So fucking sick of tax/busy season. My husband is being transferred in the next few months, I am NEVER getting another job that requires me to work 55 hours including Saturdays for three months in a row again. It's not the 55 hour weeks, it's the three months in a row bit that kills me. And I've been sick for the past month. Never again.

The IGN review reads like Miller's tastes have changed:

"Yakuza 3 has odd Japanese content and obtuse Japanese game design and I enjoy it."

"Yakuza 4 has odd Japanese content and obtuse Japanese game design and I don't enjoy it."

[quote name='handsome_rakshas']I need to learn how to play Shogi, Mahjong, and Pachinko :p[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I tried Pachinko and I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on.

Boxcelios 2 was fun. I wish they could put that game on PSN or something, or at least make it accessible from the main menu of the Yakuza title screen.

[quote name='handsome_rakshas']I need to learn how to play Shogi, Mahjong, and Pachinko :p[/QUOTE]

Oh god... This is probably why I'll never even try to platinum Y4. I can't grasp these games at all, hell, I can't grasp stuff like Poker or other stuff from my own country. I learned how to play Chess when I was a kid... but then forgot.

I was freaked out in Yakuza 2 when you were required to win a game of Mahjong to proceed in the story, but thankfully they allowed you to cheat and when he checked me all I did was flip the board and he gave up. Didn't know WHAT was going on, even after reading the instructions.

[quote name='jh6269']Yeah, I tried Pachinko and I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on.
[/QUOTE]

It's been awhile since I played pachinko machines since Castlevania's last entry. While I'm waiting for this to install, might as well practice on emu.

Brief explanation, you control the speed/angle of the pellets so that they fall in the special slots. Once you hit a certain number in them, a slot machine with pictures will come up. You then win more pellets until you decide to exchange them for goods at the parlor shop.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Oh god... This is probably why I'll never even try to platinum Y4. I can't grasp these games at all, hell, I can't grasp stuff like Poker or other stuff from my own country. I learned how to play Chess when I was a kid... but then forgot.
[/QUOTE]

Yakuza 4 is a lot easier to plat since they took out the Mini-game Master trophy from Yakuza 3. Its replaced by playing all mini-games once. Also some mini-games have their own trophies like getting turkey in bowling again, hat-trick in darts, etc. Just keep practicing :cool:.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to fighting Amon again. Practically the only boss where I don't really mind the HP gouging.

No mini-game master? AWESOME! I just started Yakuza 3, and just looking at that trophy in advance is making me wanna cry.

Played for two days. This game is so far perfect! XD I took a long time to finally start part 2 simply because I was doing all the side missions and mini-games with Akiyama! I really like his fighting style! XD

Also in regards to a certain fight in part 2:
Kiryu kicked my ass =( Dodging with Saejima is wonky.

[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']
Also in regards to a certain fight in part 2:
Kiryu kicked my ass =( Dodging with Saejima is wonky.
[/QUOTE]

This is how I did it (playing on hard btw).
Just lay on some pressure with square strings followed by triangle. You can also throw him around a bit when not in heat mode. He can reverse easily, so no spam.

[quote name='jh6269']Yeah, I'm actually thinking about starting over on HARD. This one seems a little easy so far...[/QUOTE]

It does seem easy. They made all the people you fight on the streets have a ton of health though which is kind of annoying.

The fight where
The guy has the chainsaw was kinda funny. Mainly because I was thinking I bet he bursts through with a chainsaw and he did :lol:

[quote name='whoknows']It does seem easy. They made all the people you fight on the streets have a ton of health though which is kind of annoying.

The fight where
The guy has the chainsaw was kinda funny. Mainly because I was thinking I bet he bursts through with a chainsaw and he did :lol:
[/QUOTE]

So who else other than Supplice is playing on hard? It sucks because I already found a ton of keys and got about 3 - 7 side quests done. I didn't make it to your spoiler part yet though. Is it really that hard? Like playing Vanquish on hard-hard? There were a couple of times on normal on the last game that were really tough; like fighting the guy on the beach and fighting the crazy guy with the eye patch. If hard mode is going to make everyone as tough as them, I dunno if I want to start over.

Also, I got 2 bonus items for having a Yakuza 3 save, and it gave me some kind of wrap that lowers my damage and some kind of bell thing that when both used in combination increases my money as I walk. Is this the same for everyone? Or is this just lucky? Also, I want to know if I use them, do they wear out or can you use it the whole time?

What is tough about starting out on hard is the beginning versus the bosses when you don't really have many moves at your disposal. Regular thugs/enemies are usually push-overs imo. Anyway, the bosses block more often, counter you frequently if you perform long strings of combos, generally more aggressive, have a bit more attack power, and gain some extra health. After gaining some levels, its really not bad, so long as you know the fundamentals of evading, countering, and blocking.

If you decide to stick with normal, and this is assuming Y4 is like Y3 where you can carry over your stuff to a new difficulty after beating the game. Then you'll be at an advantage since you will be near/fully leveled to counter this stuff.

As for the bonus items, the torso wrap is given to you if you have a Yakuza 3 save. Gion's bell is a item given to those that have a Kenzan save. Since the U.S. doesn't have that, I think Sega associated the Yakuza 3 save with it as well. Using them is like armor/charms, they don't wear out. Btw, if you have both equipped together, you will slowly regenerate health in battle if you stand still.

[quote name='Supplice']This is how I did it (playing on hard btw).
Just lay on some pressure with square strings followed by triangle. You can also throw him around a bit when not in heat mode. He can reverse easily, so no spam.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip! XD

I wonder if any of the PS3 games gave bonuses for people who have Yakuza 1 & 2 saves on their backwards compatible PS3's. Doubt it.

just finished it.

How the IGN reviewer could give this game such a low score is beyond me, and the story is excellent. To make 4 stories that connect so seamlessly in the end has to be really hard and they made this game in a year.

I bet he didn't play through it.

Of the End seems to be delayed to June, but some sites are saying August. The game was already at retailers waiting to be stocked on release date, but the retailers are sending the stock back to SEGA. Of course people have got their hands on copies, tho. It has even been ripped and put online. Amazing, even with all going on over there someone still is able to focus on ripping a video game and putting it on the net.

I was half expecting the game to be cancelled all together, and that is still very much a possiblity. It is also possible during this 3-5 month delay that SEGA could edit the game and make it seem less "disastrous". If that happens, these original copies are going to be worth tons of money.

bread's done
Back