Yakuza 4 - General Discussion - Out Now!

Sega...if you had the funds to continue competing, one can only imagine the paramount of titles you'd have on your "Dolphin".

Yea i said it. I still slowly turn on my DC to look at the Shenmue opening after hearing Yui jokingly said "I think sega's going to let me do it this year". at GDC this year.

Overall, I enjoyed the 'Of the End' demo (only played it once). I thought it was pretty funny that the three special zombies were based on L4D's: Tank, Boomer, and Witch. My main gripe was manual aiming suffering from RE-Syndrome (can't move/strafe while aiming). Controls were fine, had to adjust it to my liking in the options.

Demo included some minigames too: Spa, table tennis, and slot machines. As for your date: Order drinks, eat food, and have a conversation to raise hearts. There was also Gerry's Boot Camp that included 2 modes.

feels like they changed the map for the better. question are these zombies or vampires?nvm map still sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're zombies, the hell made you think they were vampires? I'm downloading the demo now, looking forward to it. Also, news sites are already posting about this "ripping off" L4D. Cause God knows Valve invented these special enemy classes. Yakuza just can't seem to catch a break, first mistakenly considered a GTA ripoff, now mistakenly considered a L4D ripoff.

[quote name='Buuhan1']They're zombies, the hell made you think they were vampires? I'm downloading the demo now, looking forward to it. Also, news sites are already posting about this "ripping off" L4D. Cause God knows Valve invented these special enemy classes. Yakuza just can't seem to catch a break, first mistakenly considered a GTA ripoff, now mistakenly considered a L4D ripoff.[/QUOTE]

look at the teeth of the first "zombie" that appears. looks like he has vampire fangs.

[quote name='Buuhan1']They're zombies, the hell made you think they were vampires? I'm downloading the demo now, looking forward to it. Also, news sites are already posting about this "ripping off" L4D. Cause God knows Valve invented these special enemy classes. Yakuza just can't seem to catch a break, first mistakenly considered a GTA ripoff, now mistakenly considered a L4D ripoff.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it sucks it's going to get flak for that. I just looked it up to see the complainers, but oh well.

Can't wait to play the demo tonight!

[quote name='whoknows']Yeah, it sucks it's going to get flak for that. I just looked it up to see the complainers, but oh well.

Can't wait to play the demo tonight![/QUOTE]

That's lame. Every other freaking game has zombies in it now--why should they complain about Yakuza doing it too?

I'd much rather have Kenzan or the PSP Yakuza than this one though. Zombies freak me out too much, and I can't stand playing games w/them in it. I may have to force my way through this one though if it does come out. :( I saw that it had other monsters and not just Zombies, so maybe that will be cool (one trailer I saw had some big lizard thing that was jumping up on a building).

[quote name='jh6269'] I saw that it had other monsters and not just Zombies, so maybe that will be cool (one trailer I saw had some big lizard thing that was jumping up on a building).[/QUOTE]

Not sure if this was it or not. I think you hear it or something when inside a building (after getting out of Akiyama's office). I thought it was possible to see it by looking outside, but didn't since I got bum rushed by zombies.

The demo was great! It was even an hour long, even longer if you play the mini-games. Everyone should give it a play. Unfortuntely the game uses the same control scheme as the rest of the series. Why is that unfortunate? The Yakuza games have never had a very good camera, and it becomes all the more apparent when you're shooting at packs of zombies.

There's three ways you can shoot. Run and gun, basically just moving in a direction and pressing the square button. Lock-on and shoot, just like in previous Yakuza games where you can hold down R1 to concentrate on one direction. And finally manual aim, by holding down R2 and shooting any direction you want. You cannot move while using manual aim.

You can still pick up objects and use them on the zombies, there's also limited use weapons you can pick up. The only one I came across was the flamethrower, which, to be frank, is fuckING AWESOME.

Also, to ease any doubts. This isn't scary, this isn't a horror game. It's an action shooter with zombies.

[quote name='jh6269']That's lame. Every other freaking game has zombies in it now--why should they complain about Yakuza doing it too?

I'd much rather have Kenzan or the PSP Yakuza than this one though. Zombies freak me out too much, and I can't stand playing games w/them in it. I may have to force my way through this one though if it does come out. :( I saw that it had other monsters and not just Zombies, so maybe that will be cool (one trailer I saw had some big lizard thing that was jumping up on a building).[/QUOTE]

i used to be freaked out by zombies too just watch a bunch of zombie movies and you will eventually get over it.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Am I going to have to post another "GET THE fuck OUT OF THIS THREAD" post again?[/QUOTE]

like i told buhan look at the mouth of the very first creature that shows up he has fangs and when theyre attacking people they go straight for the neck the same way vampires do.

If you wanna call those "fangs", they'd be significantly longer if they were vampires. I also found it amusing you said you've seen a lot of zombie movies in one post, then mentions how going straight for the neck is a sign of being a vampire in the next. Zombies ALWAYS go for the neck.

[quote name='Buuhan1']If you wanna call those "fangs", they'd be significantly longer if they were vampires. I also found it amusing you said you've seen a lot of zombie movies in one post, then mentions how going straight for the neck is a sign of being a vampire in the next. Zombies ALWAYS go for the neck.[/QUOTE]

no they dont. vampires always go for the neck zombies go for any exposed flesh and in all the movies ive seen arms and legs tend to be what they attack most.

Okay, but in zombie GAMES they always go for the neck. Always. And yeah, Yakuza avatars would be sweet on the US. Thankfully avatars in the US are starting to get a lot of support. Too bad Yakuza isn't owned by Capcom. Capcom has basically whored all of their games out with avatars. Megaman Legends 2 even has avatars in the US store, and the MML games haven't even been released on PSN!

[quote name='Buuhan1']Okay, but in zombie GAMES they always go for the neck. Always. And yeah, Yakuza avatars would be sweet on the US. Thankfully avatars in the US are starting to get a lot of support. Too bad Yakuza isn't owned by Capcom. Capcom has basically whored all of their games out with avatars. Megaman Legends 2 even has avatars in the US store, and the MML games haven't even been released on PSN![/QUOTE]

yeah ill give you that in games they do always do the neck attacks. id prefer to see more dismemberments myself.

I don't want to create an entire thread just for this question, so I'll just ask it here: I picked up Yakuza 3 yesterday, but I'm not sure if I should play it try to get Yakuza 1 and 2 first. I bought it because I hear the series is like Shenmue, and I'm very picky about my games, so I didn't want to buy Yakuza 1 or 2 used online, and I can't find a copy near where I live.

So again, should I play Yakuza 3, or wait and get the first two games instead?

[quote name='handsome_rakshas']One of my buds has a Kiryu avatar. I know they came out on the EU PSN.[/QUOTE]

Do you know if it's free or what it costs on the EU store?

Opening Video - "Butterfly City" from Zebra changed to remix of "For Faith from Hidenori Shoji

Minigame - Answer X Answer (removed)

Full Story
Earlier this week, I met up with Sega to see the US version of Yakuza 4 and I think fans will be happy to know only two parts were changed. The Answer X Answer arcade mini-game was unfortunately removed. The team was not able to localize the quiz game since text is in images, which cannot be edited.

The opening video was also changed. Licensing issues prevented Sega from bringing the original song, "Butterfly City" from Zeebra overseas. Instead, Sega created a remix of "For Faith" from Hidenori Shoji to replace the song. All other songs, including the install screen track, are intact.

All of the hostess side-stories and ping pong mini-games (with a stare command) are in the English version of Yakuza 4. Interesting fact about the create-a-hostess game within a game – her self-esteem stat will be higher if you don’t force her to wear makeup. If you make your hostess alter her appearance with ton of makeup and colored contacts her stress with skyrocket and her self-esteem will plummet.

Siliconera

===================

[quote name='JasonTerminator']
So again, should I play Yakuza 3, or wait and get the first two games instead?[/QUOTE]

Yakuza 3 has summaries of Yakuza 1 + 2 that you can watch.

[quote name='whoknows']Do you know if it's free or what it costs on the EU store?[/QUOTE]

£0.20/€0.25 each

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, so they're in the EU store. I was all up in the Japanese PSN and Hong Kong PSN looking for them. Speaking of which, WHERE THE HELL DO THEY KEEP THE AVATARS IN THE JP PSN? That place is always such a maze...

[quote name='JasonTerminator']I don't want to create an entire thread just for this question, so I'll just ask it here: I picked up Yakuza 3 yesterday, but I'm not sure if I should play it try to get Yakuza 1 and 2 first. I bought it because I hear the series is like Shenmue, and I'm very picky about my games, so I didn't want to buy Yakuza 1 or 2 used online, and I can't find a copy near where I live.

So again, should I play Yakuza 3, or wait and get the first two games instead?[/QUOTE]

yakuza 3 has a video compilation for both yakuza 1 and 2 included so basically its both games in the form of a video you can watch that tells you the whole story of each game.

[quote name='whoknows']Do you know if it's free or what it costs on the EU store?[/QUOTE]

They're like 50 cents USD.

I wonder how my bud got his, I have a EU and JP account but no method of payment.

[quote name='lokizz']like i told buhan look at the mouth of the very first creature that shows up he has fangs and when theyre attacking people they go straight for the neck the same way vampires do.[/QUOTE]

Please just leave this thread and never come back. Thanks.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Please just leave this thread and never come back. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

or ,and heres a thought. go fuck yourself. dude weve already discussed that shit and its dead and squashed why the fuck jump in when youre too dumb or lazy to look at the video proper.

[quote name='whoknows']To be fair they're obviously not vampires and asking if they were in the first place was incredibly stupid.[/QUOTE]

yeah because zombies have vampire fangs..........its all so obvious lol. in every zombie game/movie ive ever seen or played zombies never have fangs like that. so to me they looked more like vampires than zombies. to me they way their teeth looked and the way they attacked people they came off more like vampires than zombies. regardles of that the game isnt that great and they did "borrow" alot from the l4d series. im still excited for y4 but of the end not so much.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Enough, the both of you. We're all friends here.[/QUOTE]

People just need to realize I'm not completely serious with many of my posts and in a lot of them I'm just trolling (especially ones where I tell people they should go fuck themselves). However, when I post impressions about a game, then I am completely honest.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']People just need to realize I'm not completely serious with many of my posts and in a lot of them I'm just trolling (especially ones where I tell people they should go fuck themselves). However, when I post impressions about a game, then I am completely honest.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, I still think you're lying. I'm totally confused now.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']People just need to realize I'm not completely serious with many of my posts and in a lot of them I'm just trolling (especially ones where I tell people they should go fuck themselves). However, when I post impressions about a game, then I am completely honest.[/QUOTE]

Please play it straight from now on or use emoticons. No one can tell you are "kidding". But you know what you are doing so I am speaking to the choir here.

o_O
I can't wait to play, I hope my homies at GS will slip a nik a copy on the errnestness

This probably won't get to anybody by Friday of that week...T_T

Zombie fishing is indeed one of the mini-games in Of the End. Additionally, SEGA's Senior Producer more or less let slip that Of the End IS coming stateside in an interview with Siliconera.

Going back to the spin-offs will Sega bring Kenzan or?

In terms of the older games, I can really speak to that at the moment. Because currently from the Yakuza franchise we have Black Panther, Kenzan, and now we have Of the End. Which all intents and purposes is a working title for the West, we don't know what it's going to be called. I think the possibility is there. We haven't closed the door on any of those titles. We're always looking at what might be the next title that will be appropriate for the Western market.
Also, hope for Kenzan?

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/09/bringing-yakuza-from-east-to-west-our-yakuza-4-interview/

[quote name='Buuhan1'] Additionally, SEGA's Senior Producer more or less let slip that Of the End IS coming stateside in an interview with Siliconera.[/QUOTE]

Great news. :applause:

[quote name='jh6269']Wonder if GameStop will have Y4 on Tuesday or if we'll have to wait for Wednesday...[/QUOTE]

Probably Wednesday I'm guessing, since Y3 was Wednesday as well.

I need to hurry and beat DA2 before this comes out.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Zombie fishing is indeed one of the mini-games in Of the End. Additionally, SEGA's Senior Producer more or less let slip that Of the End IS coming stateside in an interview with Siliconera.

Also, hope for Kenzan?

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/09/bringing-yakuza-from-east-to-west-our-yakuza-4-interview/[/QUOTE]

Pretty awesome.

And they might as well just call it Of The End. Not like it's going to be a big seller even if they change the name.

Then again, seems like people are starting to buy anything related to zombies nowadays.

bread's done
Back