YMMV- Gamestop and Best Buy are receiving NES Classics. UPDATED

Some Gamestop stores got a restock of NES Classics today mostly in IN, IL, AL, TN, KY, and OH. Those states usually get the first shipments when these are restocked at Gamestop. More states should get them this week if history follows suit.The link below has the most recent locations reporting stock.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P5DeKpaHyRBSO3wJ2UUq4rPZcBTxxuJlJpIsJjzn_bI/edit#gid=1187060138
Thank you so much for this, managed to snag the only one in all of Connecticut thanks to the staff at the Gamestop near my house whi held it for me on my way home from work

I'm gonna be honest and say that I bought 2 extra Classics to flip but I might just hack em all...didn't know you could get SNES and Gameboy games on it!

FYI, found a person that appears to be going through the NES library to make custom box art images that look really slick in the menus. They're only up to 'C' so far but looks like they just started a few days ago. Looking forward to filling my NESC with them. :)
Thanks for that link, as those boxes are pretty cool. Some of the ones through Google can be a little janky to say the least. I searched out many on my own, as some didn't show up through normal options, and the ones that did, may have not always been the best.

My son hasn't touched his in ages either(being grounded rather frequently over the last 2 months might have something to do with that), but I haven't updated since a few numbers back. I'm waiting until they get more to a final build before I update again, and add these new box options, so no rush on my end.

I'm gonna be honest and say that I bought 2 extra Classics to flip but I might just hack em all...didn't know you could get SNES and Gameboy games on it!
Yeah, they added that option awhile back, but I just stuck to the NES games, as you will need a better controller to play most SNES games, due to the button increase. Plus I've got no shortage of devices that have more buttons, and can run these games just as well.

Thanks for that link, as those boxes are pretty cool. Some of the ones through Google can be a little janky to say the least. I searched out many on my own, as some didn't show up through normal options, and the ones that did, may have not always been the best.
NP! I later found a site that has all the 3D boxart you could need here. From experience, it looks fantastic when surfing games on your NESC. :)

Finally got one. Grabbed the last one in stock at my nearest GameStop. Now to decide whether to keep it or gift it to my brother who wants one. Thanks for the spreadsheet showing stock.

NP! I later found a site that has all the 3D boxart you could need here. From experience, it looks fantastic when surfing games on your NESC. :)
Can you explain if you put the wrong link in or if I am doing something wrong?

Every Nintendo box art I looked at on that site was just a flat 2d image and the SNES ones were showing opened up cover art and sideways with the back of the case showing as well.

Can you explain if you put the wrong link in or if I am doing something wrong?

Every Nintendo box art I looked at on that site was just a flat 2d image and the SNES ones were showing opened up cover art and sideways with the back of the case showing as well.
Hmmm, you can try following this link to see the images directly if they aren't showing up properly. Just change the title name in the URL and it will take you to any box art you need (can copy the rom name and paste it in since they use the same titles).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, you can try following this link to see the images directly if they aren't showing up properly. Just change the title name in the URL and it will take you to any box art you need (can copy the rom name and paste it in since they use the same titles).
Actually, I found the issue and it was a user error(me). Was looking at the alphabetical list and didn't see the 3D box art path that is at the beginning of each system list.

My Gamestop's had one each today.

Rumors are to include the NES classic games on the Switch as an incentive to get people to subscribe to the service. Not sure if that's been mentioned but makes sense. Which would also explain the discontinuing

My Gamestop's had one each today.

Rumors are to include the NES classic games on the Switch as an incentive to get people to subscribe to the service. Not sure if that's been mentioned but makes sense. Which would also explain the discontinuing
Honestly, outside of the look of the mini, and the nostalgia for the controllers, it is pretty much a useless product. And I don't say that in the sense of it won't appeal to a certain long ago gone fan, but for their recent audience of gamers, the VC should be where all these games are offered on a weekly basis. They stand to make way more with the VC games individually, than they can with the mini.

A few decades ago, Disney was just about as poorly ran as "N" currently is, as they had a back catalog of movies, TV, shorts and everything inbetween, that they held on to like it was fine China to never be used or touched again(outside of the rare movie re-releases). Enter, Michael Eisner......he came in and said WTF are you clowns doing? You have one of the richest histories of any company on the planet, and fans want to give you money, why aren't you taking it?

"N" really should offer VC games weekly on every system they have, but the selection they do offer is pretty poor, and the quality of VC compared to the mini is night and day. I can't say enough about how good the NES games look and display on the mini, and every VC game I own, I got for free, and I never play any of them, as they are washed out, dull looking crap that they charge premium money for.

So while they may have some greater scheme in mind, they should keep the mini going, as that is a great way for those who don't currently play their systems and games, to still give them funds for a piece of childhood fun. Once they stop the mini, a lot of those buyers won't be migrating to the NS, or anything else "N" related, so why kill that goose?

I walked into Gamestop last week and bought was lucky enough to get one, so I went home and a day later unboxed it and plugged it in and it wouldn't even turn on, tried a different plug and it still didn't work. So I took it back to return it and they said they couldn't do anything for me, except for give me my money back. Womp Womp...

I walked into Gamestop last week and bought was lucky enough to get one, so I went home and a day later unboxed it and plugged it in and it wouldn't even turn on, tried a different plug and it still didn't work. So I took it back to return it and they said they couldn't do anything for me, except for give me my money back. Womp Womp...
Damn, that sucks. Really, your situation is the ones I hate most in these poorly supplied inventory situations, as those who may have really wanted a mini for the holidays, or an NS at launch, finally get it, only to be defective, with little to no other options for a replacement. I would hate to see this for a child on Christmas, but I guess shit happens.

Inventory has been in the most supply this week, then at any other time, so maybe call around to other stores in your area, and explain you have a defective unit that needs to be exchanged, and if any places have one, they should hold it for you since it's a replacement. You could also try and call a district manager and talk to him directly, as he may be able to produce one for you as an exchange.

The worse case, just contact "N" and have them fix it. It may take a week or two, but at least you'll have it. If this whole situation has rubbed you the wrong way(which it would have for me), just say fuck it, and return it outright.

Check out Syndrome208 on YouTube. He gives pretty explicit instructions and provides links. I have one classic with 405 NES games and another with 208 NES, SNES, genesis and game boy games. The games save with no problem and the Wii Classic controller works for all the games.
I just followed this advice last night. It works flawlessly. Thanks!

Damn, that sucks. Really, your situation is the ones I hate most in these poorly supplied inventory situations, as those who may have really wanted a mini for the holidays, or an NS at launch, finally get it, only to be defective, with little to no other options for a replacement. I would hate to see this for a child on Christmas, but I guess shit happens.

Inventory has been in the most supply this week, then at any other time, so maybe call around to other stores in your area, and explain you have a defective unit that needs to be exchanged, and if any places have one, they should hold it for you since it's a replacement. You could also try and call a district manager and talk to him directly, as he may be able to produce one for you as an exchange.

The worse case, just contact "N" and have them fix it. It may take a week or two, but at least you'll have it. If this whole situation has rubbed you the wrong way(which it would have for me), just say fuck it, and return it outright.
I think it's funny that I've seen a couple people post their NES classics on Craigslist noting a firm price (usually around $150) because "it's discontinued" 😂

Got one, got it loaded with 600+nes games
From Gamestop? Wow I hope it was a killer deal.

I think it's funny that I've seen a couple people post their NES classics on Craigslist noting a firm price (usually around $150) because "it's discontinued" 😂
Well, what do they have to lose, trust me there's plenty of people who don't do their research and will bite because they believed that it's discontinued. And since it's Craigslist, the buyer can't really regret their purchase afterwards.

Well, what do they have to lose, trust me there's plenty of people who don't do their research and will bite because they believed that it's discontinued. And since it's Craigslist, the buyer can't really regret their purchase afterwards.
True. I have to assume anyone desperate enough to pay 2.5x retail hasn't done their research anyway.

I went to gamestop that is on the list. The guy said they didnt get any. Not sure if hes lying or what. Happened to me twice at different stores. Maybe LameStop hates me or they want it themselves.

Went to a gamestop today and had 2 in stock. I bought one, even though I'm sure I could have found a use for 2. I didn't want to be a dick since the Nintendo gods had finally shined on me. Thanks to the spreadsheet on the last page for information.

Went to a gamestop today and had 2 in stock. I bought one, even though I'm sure I could have found a use for 2. I didn't want to be a dick since the Nintendo gods had finally shined on me. Thanks to the spreadsheet on the last page for information.
That, and I'm pretty sure the GS employee would not have sold you more than 1 anyways.

This may be old news but Nintendo just announced they're discontinuing production. Good luck tracking one down. Seriously. I hope everyone here gets one.

yeah, if you want one of these and are willing to pay over retail, go buy the cheapest BIN you can find on ebay immediately, cuz the scalpers with hundreds of units are gonna jack prices sky high

This may be old news but Nintendo just announced they're discontinuing production. Good luck tracking one down. Seriously. I hope everyone here gets one.
No way, fake news!!! Cause the expert analysts here on CAG swore Nintendo would keep supplying the NES Classic until stores are flooded with them.

Called the gamestops in my area on the inventory sheet, none had any / have gotten a restock this week

Called the gamestops in my area on the inventory sheet, none had any / have gotten a restock this week
Calling them was a mistake. There has been a lot of GS employees hording NES Classics. ( How do you think people on ebay have dozens of these things?) I know for a fact unless it is an inventory error if it shows on the list there is at least one in the store. There is only like a 2-5 min delay once it is purchased that it falls off.

can you update your nes stock sheet?
I did like 40 mins ago but I will refresh it in like 15 mins.

Calling them was a mistake. There has been a lot of GS employees hording NES Classics. ( How do you think people on ebay have dozens of these things?) I know for a fact unless it is an inventory error if it shows on the list there is at least one in the store. There is only like a 2-5 min delay once it is purchased that it falls off.

I did like 40 mins ago but I will refresh it in like 15 mins.
I mean, if employees are hoarding them, what difference is it gonna make if I'm in store or on the phone? Presumably they could just be behind the counter and I'd never know

Just saw an article on Kotaku that Nintendo is discontinuing the NES classic after April.  So good luck finding one now ahead of all the scalpers that will snap them up.  I'm sure this will drive the value up even higher since they know there won't be any more produced this year (at a minimum).

ha ha ha. "So what if people hack it? Nintendo doesn't care as long as they're moving units!"

Nintendo prizes the integrity of their IP more than anyone else in the world. I would bet dollars that the hack had a lot to do with it. Two months ago, Kimishima* said they'd be ramping up production. Now all of a sudden they've discontinued it. 

*source https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170201_2e.pdf  page 9.

I mean, if employees are hoarding them, what difference is it gonna make if I'm in store or on the phone? Presumably they could just be behind the counter and I'd never know
Yes true, I had 3 local stores during the Jan. restock lie right to my face. At the first store I got there literally 20 mins after it showed up on my query and the employee told me they were sold out because a guy walked in and bought all 6. They came off the query maybe an hour after I walked in asking about them when I know they drop off in minutes. The second store I got there once again 20-30 minutes after it showed up on my query and the manager working told me they haven't gotten any all day and I then asked the employee in the back of the store stocking stuff the same question and he said they all sold out the minute after they arrived. The third store straight up told me they all sold out after after giving me surprised looks that I knew. Their stock fell off the query 20 mins before they opened the next day.

First they bring back the damn store exclusive amiibos and now this...... st this point Nintendo of America can just go away..ill give Nintendo Japan my money. I'll import a mini famicon then

Wow, it begins.  The prices on these things are going to skyrocket back up to $200+ by the end of the year. 

Like other posters have said, you better buy yours now anywhere you can find one reasonably cheap.

I feel like part of the reason they are discontinuing the system is due to licensing fees for the third-party games included and Nintendo not wanting to continue paying those to keep selling this. I also wouldn't be surprised if they sold a new model around the Holidays with different games or maybe even a SNES version. I know Nintendo makes poor decisions often, but they are well aware of the how popular the Classic Edition has been and what people are willing to pay for it. 

Thanks to this thread I picked on up yesterday. Looking forward to finally ending this search. Sure I have an RPi, but I really wanted one for the sake of nostalgia.

bread's done
Back