ZACK & WIKI! 300k Sold! BUY!!! $29.99 Now! IGN: 9.0! 1UP: 9.0! NP: 9.0! GS: 8.5!

I think this game should stay under the radar so that it becomes a nifty little treasure that is also great to play. Think of along the lines of Suikoden 2. The downside though is that if it does become a rare game chances are that we won't get a sequel which makes me sad.

Was hoping the sales would be better than that.

I urge everyone - with the upcoming holidays - to try and get the word out about this game as much as you can. Tell relatives to get it for your cousins/nephews/nieces. Order some copies for friends online and use them for the holidays. Etc etc. Just tell anyone and everyone that you can.

It is possible for us to get the sales up. I'm seeing this much like Phoenix Wright 1 - if we can exhaust the supplies now, there's a good chance Capcom will see that kind of response.

Obviously this is a daunting task, and somewhat farfetched, but it's worth the effort.

Fight the good fight.

Let's just say this... if that is anywhere near the right number, WOW.

It only sold 11k its first week in Japan according of Famitsu (Media Create numbers will be up tonight), and I'd really expect it to sell less in the US given that all other things were generally equal, with a better name for the Japanese release.

If it sold 30k a week (assuming decent word of mouth and repeat shipments), it could be feasible to break 100k for the month, which would be stunning.

But if 30k is right, and it sells like typical games (i.e. front-loaded), then it'll still be better than I expected, but nothing worth talking about.

[quote name='nmon3447']I think this game should stay under the radar so that it becomes a nifty little treasure that is also great to play. Think of along the lines of Suikoden 2. The downside though is that if it does become a rare game chances are that we won't get a sequel which makes me sad.[/quote] That's an awful idea. We need good games to do well, especially on the Wii, so that companies are encouraged to put real effort into the games they release for the system. Capcom is already a sure-thing, and SEGA too is putting in real effort. But what other (third-party) companies besides those two have made a lasting impact with the first year of the system's life almost behind us?

Is this game really becoming that difficult to find? I haven't seen it at retail ever, except my copy I bought. If it only sold around 30k and is still tough to find.. wow.

[quote name='jer7583']Is this game really becoming that difficult to find? I haven't seen it at retail ever, except my copy I bought. If it only sold around 30k and is still tough to find.. wow.[/quote]My Best Buy had a couple copies on Monday, but I'm not sure when they got them or how many they started with.

[quote name='botticus']Let's just say this... if that is anywhere near the right number, WOW.

It only sold 11k its first week in Japan according of Famitsu (Media Create numbers will be up tonight), and I'd really expect it to sell less in the US given that all other things were generally equal, with a better name for the Japanese release.

If it sold 30k a week (assuming decent word of mouth and repeat shipments), it could be feasible to break 100k for the month, which would be stunning.

But if 30k is right, and it sells like typical games (i.e. front-loaded), then it'll still be better than I expected, but nothing worth talking about.[/quote]

Would anyone happen to have an estimated cost of this game?

Nope, but we have this:

Our guys in Japan had a HUGE marketing push for this title. It's only just come on the market there too so I'm not so sure how you're passing judgements so quickly.

As for us, let me make a few things clear:

We can't force a retail buyer to take it (though we got it on the shelf in pretty much every major retailer).
We can't make a retail buyer expedite freight so it's on shelf the day after shipment everywhere like Gamestop typically does (which is why Wal-mart and Best Buy only started getting it on shelf on Thursday/Friday).

So for those of you who only shop at Gamestop, either pre-order or look elsewhere to find copies. There were very few pre-orders at Gamestop on Z&W (especially relative to what we're seeing on the first couple of days sales). If you want to see more units on the shelf day one in that particular retailer, then pre-order. Gamestop bases their day one number as some multiple of its preorders. Period.

A number of retailers we pushed to take more units than they did but they have their own thoughts about the game and the market and make their shelf allocations accordingly. Our day one number was a decent number by any measure, owing a lot to the reviews and PR work that we've done. We are not out of stock anywhere except for possible spot out of stocks at Gamestop (probably rectified already as they took their backup order after the first day of sales).

[quote name='jer7583']Is this game really becoming that difficult to find? I haven't seen it at retail ever, except my copy I bought. If it only sold around 30k and is still tough to find.. wow.[/QUOTE]

Well I have been calling my local TRu for it and a few others... They have it now so my lunch will include a quick swap from the previous B2G1 sale...

Sweet. I am taking the day off work on Friday and the wife will be home.... its time for some good Wii action!!!! (read that how you will).

[quote name='Corvin']What the fuck ever. Where's this article from, Gamestop corporate?[/quote]Meh, it's a hot topic in the industry this week, apparently. First Gamecock (publishing Dementium on DS) bitches about how people need to preorder more of the niche titles so stores order more, and now Capcom.

[quote name='botticus']Meh, it's a hot topic in the industry this week, apparently. First Gamecock (publishing Dementium on DS) bitches about how people need to preorder more of the niche titles so stores order more, and now Capcom.[/QUOTE]

It just doesn't make sense. If I pre-order I could give two shits about how many extra copies a store gets.

Sounds like they are making bogus excuses for not having their game on store shelves. A consumer's job is merely buying a game they see on a store shelf. If the publishers and manufacturers can't fill that shelf, it is their problem, not the consumer's.

None of the preorder bs really matters. This game wasn't hyped too heavily outside the internet savvy and by now most of us/them have our hands on it (looking at you Strell and your puppy killing spree).

A week late wont make that huge of a dent in total sales overall. If people were waiting for say Mario they would have waited either way in my opinion.

The good news is Gamestop may have realized they undershot and didn't give a good title a chance initially and that will probably still change.....nothing, but never the less.

I have nothing to say regarding the pre-order discussion/debate.

My opinion of Zack & Wiki is that is an excellent title that needs to be pushed onto people as much as possible. I know that Mario Galaxy is going to be getting all kinds of GOTY praise, but I want to make one thing clear...

Mario doesn't really need me to talk about how awesome it is. If you were to look up Mario in any factual source, any such publication that is worth reading will say that he is the video game equivalent of SHAFT. And I mean it - bad motherfucker.

Zack & Wiki, however, did something that The International House of Mojo have predicted as "best idea for the Wii that will never come to fruition" (paraphrased) - and I can not be made happeir that a point and click puzzle adventure managed to actually survive throughout the development process without getting cancelled. In fact, the final product is so amazingly faithful to the bastard genre of puzzle games, which is in turn a sub-division of another bastard genre of adventure games, that I'm amazed the game is getting spotlight at all. The only time major publications put adventure games in the spotlight these days is to ensure that they can see it better in their sniper scopes prior to taking another cheap shot.

I hate to break it to jollydwarfs and whoever else kept constantly trashing the Wii catalog, but I told you so. And we have four more days until the glorious Fire Emblem title, which should last us just enough in time for the newest Mario Installment. And I have yet to play Metroid Prime 3 - I actually wanted to get shit done this semester.

But this brings me to a moment of clarity - you see, I didn't need to tell jollydwarf or anyone else anything. I didn't really need to explain, or to yell anything out loud. Because scientific approach requires but one thing - to wait and see. And in that regard, the current market conditions and the wealth of "holy shit" exclusives should make these forums a peaceful place. Because, really, after the 5th, I don't see if I can be bothered to reply to claims of gimmicky controls, lack of proper online service (like HOME, I guess - we call it Wii Sports, though, except we can't play mp3s on a jukebox, because that's stupid), or lack of HD and the lack of a pricetag that is equivalent to a mortgage on a little trailer. Because I'll be too busy actually playing.

So yeah, you're looking at a guy (read: post by a guy) who loves Z&W so much that he'll name it his GOTY. (Unless, of course, Galaxy asks me to pick up an item and to use it with another item, so that something neat will happen, or have an exhaustive dialog tree, or if it features time travel in a Chron-O-John.)

[quote name='lanzarlaluna']fuck it. I'm heading out to buy the game right now. Maybe pick up another copy or two for Christmas presents.[/quote]

Best post in this thread so far.

[quote name='xeno']is it me or does wiki sound like a little japense girl.....or is it a girl to begin with.......?[/quote]

Of course its a girl.

Even Goku from DBZ is voiced by a girl.

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=VxRnKcX8v5k[/MEDIA]

Often children and young boys are voiced by women. This is true in much more than just games and anime as well.

Regarding Zack and Wiki, wow! I am still blown away at how great this game is. I'm probably about 6 hours into it and loving every minute. It's challenging and fun. Sleeper hit of the year for Wii at least.

Picked mine up used at a gamestop, in near perfect condition, and with 10% off.

[quote name='Scrubking']Anyone know the alternate way to beat the fountain guardian?[/quote]

The alternate way is
when you start, grab the worm first and then head towards the fountain. Once you click the fountain, the frog will appear. As soon as he appears you drop the worm by the fountain slide entrance and from there on out it should be pretty simple to figure out.

[quote name='russellgreco']
Picked mine up used at a gamestop, in near perfect condition, and with 10% off.[/quote]

Boo!! For $6 or so, you could have gotten it New and added to the sales numbers, which in the long haul is way more important than saving six bucks as it might mean many more of this type of game.

[quote name='russellgreco']Often children and young boys are voiced by women. This is true in much more than just games and anime as well.

[/QUOTE]

Not just anime. The most famous example would be Bart Simpson.

Anyone who wants to play this game needs to seek it out. NOW. Anyone remember how hard it was to find Phoenix Wright before they reprinted it? I had to go to something like 8 different stores (different branches of Target, Circuit City, Game Crazy, Gamestop, and Best Buy) in two major metropolitan areas (Houston and Memphis) before I found a copy. There were maybe two others on the shelf. It's not available at Bestbuy.com or Circuitcity.com. I'd put good money on this being rare and high priced on ebay VERY soon.

[quote name='Draekon']The alternate way is
when you start, grab the worm first and then head towards the fountain. Once you click the fountain, the frog will appear. As soon as he appears you drop the worm by the fountain slide entrance and from there on out it should be pretty simple to figure out.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks

I have a sinking suspicion that there's not going to be a Zack & Wiki 2.... People should really start getting the word out there beyond just places like CAG.

The game deserves it.

I hope it's not hard to find because I'm planning on getting it this weekend. And I'm not buying it used or EBStop new.

[quote name='Zen Davis']I have a sinking suspicion that there's not going to be a Zack & Wiki 2.... People should really start getting the word out there beyond just places like CAG.

The game deserves it.[/quote]

How many games did Trace Memory sell for the DS?

There might not be a Zack and Wiki 2 but there will be many more adventure games. Look at the DS. I highly doubt titles like Hotel Dusk, Trace Memory and Touch Detective had great sales (I could be wrong so feel free to prove it) but more adventure games are on the way for the DS (lots more from my understanding).

The Wii is a great system and is in all likelihood going to be extremely hard to find for the next 6 months or so if not longer. There will be more games like this to come due to the huge audience and low development costs.

Next game to start pumping up is Agatha Christies And Then There Were None

Where the hell is this game? I just came back from Walmart (got the $98 HD DVD player) and they didn't have it. But they had plenty of Manhunt 2! It's not even like they ran out of copies as there wasn't even a price tag for it.

[quote name='orimental']Where the hell is this game? I just came back from Walmart (got the $98 HD DVD player) and they didn't have it. But they had plenty of Manhunt 2! It's not even like they ran out of copies as there wasn't even a price tag for it.[/quote]

Walmart should have it by now. Any other stores you can try? You are missing out on some seriously good gaming.

Walmart was pretty much the only big box store to get the game Day 1, everyone else was slow. So if it's not at Walmart... not sure.

I mentioned this game to my mother-in-law, whose youngest owns a Wii thanks to my efforts last December. I'll try my best to convince her to buy it, but really, I got one friend to change his mind from Super Paper Mario to Z&W (and all this talk of "rareness" proves me to be correct yet again, and jollydwarf's not even involved!)

In any case, I just hope that all Wii CAGs were able to snatch this one in time for shortages. The game's brilliant, and in a perfect world, the retailers would get told by many customers of variying shapes, ages, sizes, and income that they want to play this damn title.

I don't want a sequel for this game as much as I want to see more of similar gameplay. And Then There Were None title doesn't look too good, unfortunately, and appears to be more or less of a kick-back to the good old days of doing "adventures" in a boring, sterile environments...

[quote name='MarioColbert']
I don't want a sequel for this game as much as I want to see more of similar gameplay. And Then There Were None title doesn't look too good, unfortunately, and appears to be more or less of a kick-back to the good old days of doing "adventures" in a boring, sterile environments...[/QUOTE]

Who says we can't have both? :)

Sounds like they seriously under shipped this game so it had no chance in hell doing stellar numbers. Sounds more like it had a small run like Trauma Center: DS and will take a little time to get more on the shelves. So despite the small numbers available, a sell out is a good sign.

[quote name='Corvin']Who says we can't have both? :)
[/quote]
Certainly not I, Corvin - just an opinion being thrown...

[quote name='Corvin']
Sounds like they seriously under shipped this game so it had no chance in hell doing stellar numbers. Sounds more like it had a small run like Trauma Center: DS and will take a little time to get more on the shelves. So despite the small numbers available, a sell out is a good sign.[/quote]
What's funny is that there will be a lot of bullshit analysis saying that the game did extremely poorly due to this (stupid) under-shipping. To me, it makes no sense to do something like this, because if you're going to release a brilliant title, even if it is an unpopular sub-genre of an unpopular genre, then fuckin' do it proper. Especially with such nice get-up of "family-friendliness" involved, as well.

Truth be told - Z&W is the best Christmas present now, since most households might not have it. So, just saying GO BUY IT FOR A FRIEND OR TWO - IT'S CHEAP ENOUGH.

[quote name='MarioColbert']I mentioned this game to my mother-in-law, whose youngest owns a Wii thanks to my efforts last December. I'll try my best to convince her to buy it, but really, I got one friend to change his mind from Super Paper Mario to Z&W (and all this talk of "rareness" proves me to be correct yet again, and jollydwarf's not even involved!)

In any case, I just hope that all Wii CAGs were able to snatch this one in time for shortages. The game's brilliant, and in a perfect world, the retailers would get told by many customers of variying shapes, ages, sizes, and income that they want to play this damn title.

I don't want a sequel for this game as much as I want to see more of similar gameplay. And Then There Were None title doesn't look too good, unfortunately, and appears to be more or less of a kick-back to the good old days of doing "adventures" in a boring, sterile environments...[/quote]

Where did you get this impression of And Then There Were None? I haven't seen anything about it.

[quote name='schuerm26']Where did you get this impression of And Then There Were None? I haven't seen anything about it.[/quote]
AdventureGamers.com, man. The game was made in 2005 for PC, and is being ported for (an unconfirmed by ME) Nov. 2007 release.

http://adventuregamers.com/gameinfo.php?id=512

The screenshots speak for themeslves, as far as reviews are concerned:

http://adventuregamers.com/article/id,542

Take it as you may, but I know exactly what I love and what I hate about adventure games (I play them all the time), so despite the three-star bit on top, I'd like to direct your attention to the Bottom Line:

[quote name='Bottom Line']And Then There Were None is an enjoyable murder mystery with many excellent elements, but it is let down by sloppy implementation and inattention to detail.[/quote] (highlights by me)

ALSO: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/andthentherewerenone

i'm deathly stuck. i'm on the
treasure island
level.
i've given in and looked at the hint but have found it unhelpfull. it told me to
light the torch. the one on the very bottom of the level. i've got my lighter. i'm not sure if i'm supposed to use the lighter to light the torch, or light it some other way. either way i can't figure it out.
i feel like if i can get this the rest will be cake. but i just can't figure it out.

[quote name='buttle']i'm deathly stuck. i'm on the
treasure island
level.
i've given in and looked at the hint but have found it unhelpfull. it told me to
light the torch. the one on the very bottom of the level. i've got my lighter. i'm not sure if i'm supposed to use the lighter to light the torch, or light it some other way. either way i can't figure it out.
i feel like if i can get this the rest will be cake. but i just can't figure it out.[/quote]

I know what you mean - I stumbled on the solution by accident.

Flick Wii-mote to open the lighter. PRESS DOWN ON THE D-PAD. Yes, I know: What the fuck?

Good luck with the rest.

did you really put "getting rare" in the title to get people on CAG to buy the game?

FACEPALM.jpg

[quote name='MarioColbert']I know what you mean - I stumbled on the solution by accident.

Flick Wii-mote to open the lighter. PRESS DOWN ON THE D-PAD. Yes, I know: What the fuck?

Good luck with the rest.[/QUOTE]

mother #$%@. that's just crazy.
thanks for your help.

[quote name='buttle']mother #$%@. that's just crazy.
thanks for your help.[/quote]

I got mad and started pressing everything on the Wiimote.

I won two matches in Virtua Fighter 4 the other night using the very same strategy, too.

Guys I still havent plugged this one in. Its unwrapped and I can confitm that the best buy copies had the magnetic puzzles for free inside... I took a pic with the camera phone.

Anyway it will get some play time this weekend. I wrapped up victorious boxers last night in anticipation for this game. Cant wait.

estarland has the Z&W game in stock for $36.95 with $4 shipping and no tax...

bread's done
Back