The Official God Of War II Thread -Reviews/Help/Discussion/Spoilers

I still need to beat the first one...

On a slightly different note, anyone else think that the Ghost Rider game looks a God of War clone? Wonder if it'll be any good...

[quote name='Brak']I still need to beat the first one...

On a slightly different note, anyone else think that the Ghost Rider game looks a God of War clone? Wonder if it'll be any good...[/QUOTE]

One can hope.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']These couldn't possibly be biased! Could they?[/quote]

What do you mean? They're a person's opinion. I guess you could argue that all opinions are, by their very nature, biased...

I dunno...I found the God of War 1 reviews to be highly suspect. I maintain that the game undeniably started out amazing and then slowly became a chore as you got closer to the end. It was a solid game, but the 10s and 9.5 were unjustified.

of course, I'm going to pick this one up. hell, I may get it on launch day, but I'm weary of this gushing reviews

[quote name='javeryh']I can't wait for this. It's probably the last PS2 game I'll buy and certainly the last one at $40.[/quote]

$50?

[quote name='rodeojones903']What is even more awesome is that it runs in 720p on PS3s. :D[/QUOTE]

Looks like IGN made an error... They've updated the review with this:

[quote name='IGN']Editor's Correction: After posting the review, we've gotten word from an SCEA representative that the game will support 480p on the PlayStation 3 but not 720p. Our error was due to crossed information and we're sorry for the confusion. We will report back once we have the final copy in our hands.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Troz1820']Looks like IGN made an error... They've updated the review with this:[/quote] I fucking hate IGN. They bust their ass to get a review out before everyone else, and shit like this happens. Please don't review the game until you can tell me what kind of extras and whatnot are on the second disk, and whether or not the game supports 720p. Jesus.

[quote name='Vegan']Eh, it'll be 20 bucks within a year, easy.[/QUOTE]
Agreed, but I will likely grab it while its still hyped. I have a knack for forgetting about games after a time. Then never returning to play them again.

[quote name='Troz1820']Looks like IGN made an error... They've updated the review with this:[/quote]

:cry: damn I was looking forward to the 720p on my PS3.

[quote name='Brak']I still need to beat the first one...

[/QUOTE]

Don't feel bad, I still need to PLAY the first one. I'm probably the only one in the world that *hasn't* by now.

I was a late comer to the PS2 since I always wanted to play DMC and God Of War. Just beat GOW and I have to say that it's one of the best games I've ever played on any system. I definitely would get GOWII shortly after release, definitely can't wait a year to get it cheap, not worth all that in my book. I'd rather get the game , play it and move on!

I don't get why God of War gets such high reviews. It's not a bad game by any means. However, I'd personally rate it in the 8.5-9.0 range. It's a great action game, but it's not the best. If they fleshed out the weapons system a little more and had less scripted boss fights I would love it. To me boss fights should be mostly free style fighting. None of the boss fights in GoW 1 were very satisfying to me. I would have loved something similar to SotC with the minotaur if Kratos had to climb up it with his blades etc. Anyway, this will probably be the last new PS2 game that I buy, but the question is how much do I want to pay?

[quote name='Trakan']$50?[/quote]

I thought the major retailers were going to be selling this at $40 the week of release... maybe I dreamed it.

I played GOW and couldn't see what all the hype was about. It's a solid hack n slash game with naked women. I don't see how it could be any better than an 8/10

[quote name='javeryh']I thought the major retailers were going to be selling this at $40 the week of release... maybe I dreamed it.[/quote]
You didn't. It was listing at 39.99 for months.

//edit: Actually, GameCrazy's computers are still showing it for $39.99.

[quote name='Apossum']I dunno...I found the God of War 1 reviews to be highly suspect. I maintain that the game undeniably started out amazing and then slowly became a chore as you got closer to the end. It was a solid game, but the 10s and 9.5 were unjustified.

of course, I'm going to pick this one up. hell, I may get it on launch day, but I'm weary of this gushing reviews[/quote]
That's exactly how I felt. The first time I killed a minotaur with the button prompts I loved it. The 243rd time I killed a minotaur with those same button prompts I was sick of it. I give God of War an 8.6.

[quote name='keithp']Don't feel bad, I still need to PLAY the first one. I'm probably the only one in the world that *hasn't* by now.[/QUOTE]

Nope you arent the only one. I bought it again about a year ago and its still wrapped on my shelf. But I have GOW2 preordered anyway. Eh oh well. Maybe play em back to back?

I know I'm a minority here, but I still don't give a rats ass about this series. Good hard work from the dev team no doubt, but I'll never play this even though I love gore games.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I know I'm a minority here, but I still don't give a rats ass about this series. Good hard work from the dev team no doubt, but I'll never play this even though I love gore games.[/quote]

Care to elaborate? Is it the subject matter you don't enjoy? Or you don't like beat-em-ups? Have you ever tried playing the game for a bit? I didn't understand what all the fuss was about until I actually played it, and there really isn't any one super-amazing element; it's just one of those games that's extremely "solid" in all aspects and people get excited whenever that happens.

[quote name='Vegan']Care to elaborate? Is it the subject matter you don't enjoy? Or you don't like beat-em-ups? Have you ever tried playing the game for a bit? I didn't understand what all the fuss was about until I actually played it, and there really isn't any one super-amazing element; it's just one of those games that's extremely "solid" in all aspects and people get excited whenever that happens.[/QUOTE]

I played the game for over 4 hours and wasn't feeling it at all. I play a ton of beat em ups and action games. It's a good game, but not to my taste.

It's like pizza. Almost everyone loves it, but I know a guy who can't stand the stuff. He respects that it's good and understands why people love it, it's just not for him.

[quote name='Scrubking']I played GOW and couldn't see what all the hype was about. It's a solid hack n slash game with naked women. I don't see how it could be any better than an 8/10[/quote]

The story, the gameplay and the voice acting were top notch IMO. The only part of the game I didn't like was where you had to climb up the spinning blades and the part where your are fighting someone and there is a time limit before the floor beneath you opens up. Those were just annoying, but everything else reminded me a bit of DMC and Ninja Gaiden with a fresh coats of paint. Considering the only thing close to it on the PS2 in that genre is the original DMC, I think the high scores were justified.

I just started the first one, but this game is godly. I'll definitely have it finished by the time #2 releases...sweeet.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']The story, the gameplay and the voice acting were top notch IMO. The only part of the game I didn't like was where you had to climb up the spinning blades and the part where your are fighting someone and there is a time limit before the floor beneath you opens up. Those were just annoying, but everything else reminded me a bit of DMC and Ninja Gaiden with a fresh coats of paint. Considering the only thing close to it on the PS2 in that genre is the original DMC, I think the high scores were justified.[/quote]
Yup, the blade part was annoying. I just played through it for the first time this past weekend, and that part had me cursing up a blue streak. The odd part of the game for me was...
when it turned all Soul Calibur at the end. That was so different than the rest of the game it didn't belong in the last part of the final boss battle.

Another part I had a problem with was the repetitious 'Simon Says' button pressing. That's just wasn't fun for me.

Besides all of that it was still awesome, and I can't wait to play the second one. I'm only sorry I waited so long to play the first.

Once again, the demo blew me away. It's like Shadow of the Colossus on crack. I just hope that isn't the best part of the game, kinda like last time with GoW1 >_<

Another part I had a problem with was the repetitious 'Simon Says' button pressing. That's just wasn't fun for me.

there should be a law "no 2 context sensitive moves should be alike"
After using the same one 1000 times, it really defeats the purpose of having a context sensitive move to begin with.

Is there any way to get the demo now? I've read that there was a signup a while ago but I missed it...hopefully there's another way =/.

[quote name='keithp']Don't feel bad, I still need to PLAY the first one. I'm probably the only one in the world that *hasn't* by now.[/QUOTE]

I haven't either, and I see no reason even now to spend $20 on it.

[quote name='BREVITY']The dude who just finnished Frank Millers 300 should so make these games into a movie. It would rock.[/quote]

That would be AWESOME. I heard they are going to make a movie of it, but I have yet to hear anything else besides that SOny wants to.

I guess I'm one of the few who fell in love with GoW. I love the beat'um up games. I like the way they work the mini games into GoW. I just played through the demo for GoWII, and I have to say it seems like the first one just with some cool new moves. Being like the first one is definitely not a bad thing. I can't wait to play the level with the pegasus. The only bad thing about the demo was now I'm dying to see where the story goes. Just one man's opinion take it for what it's worth.

if you preorder at gs/eb you get the playable demo. its very much like the first game though you now have an awesome weapon to begin with, but it kinda makes it easy ;/. it seems like if youve played through the 2nd game you could go back to the demo and unlock the treasures. i cant wait for this to be released. its probably my last full price purchase of a ps2 game. im upset though that theres no limited editions for this game.

Yeah. If I knew the fish crap consume could win, I would have drawn something up on a piece of napkin and probably won!

What's the prize anyway?

[quote name='eau']Yeah. If I knew the fish crap consume could win, I would have drawn something up on a piece of napkin and probably won!

What's the prize anyway?[/QUOTE]
I voted for that fish one :lol:

Never thought it would actually win though. :p

[quote name='Roufuss']Limited Edition God of War 2 guide, comes with an art book / developer diary:

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=832051

If the art book / developer diary is 150 pages or more, I'll throw down for the LE... I want a substanstial second book to justify that heavy price tag.

[/quote]

Don't forget the HB20 code for 20% off if you buy online. Of course, Shipping and tax almost kill this.

the fish costume isn't any more ridiculous than the cow costume from the first one. at least the fish hooks would be remotely weapon-like. beating undead soldiers with flaming milk jugs was incredibly fun.

[quote name='eau']Yeah. If I knew the fish crap consume could win, I would have drawn something up on a piece of napkin and probably won!

What's the prize anyway?[/quote]

A very LE GoW II 2 disc tin set. Rumor has it there is only 20 of them. Here is the cover:
da1f_1_b.JPG

;) j/k

Probably a bunch of free GoW II stuff, like door mats, shirts, posters and the game.

bread's done
Back