CAGcast #98: Penny Arcade Sucks

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Haven't listened to a second of it, and I already love it, based on the title alone.

(If that's a 'cheeky', jokey, playful "sucks", then I retract this post.)

[quote name='Quintessence']It is not downloading for me on iTunes. I will try some other ways...OK, so the media player here works fine.[/quote]
try itunes again. should work now. try hitting rfresh, please.

[quote name='JohnnyDrama']Somehow it's not downloading for me on iTunes, but I can listen to it in the OP[/quote]

Same for me. It is not even showing up in the episode directory there. Oh well, OP is fine for listening too, except if I forget about it and close the tab!

Whoa, i havent even started listening yet, and i already know this is going to be a controversial Cagcast.

281816b.jpg

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=281816
Only $19.99

Dowloading right now from the RSS feed, is the only downloadable link working for me........I can't believe I won the Contra DS game, yeah!!!!

Not working For me Either, i tried various different ways to download and no joy, i got a journey to take and was hoping to listen to this to make it enjoyable please get it working, Please Please Please.
Regards Jon.

P.S. for the compitions that Cheapy and Wombat run from time to time, are UK entries Valid?

(Downloaded from the link in the OP no problem an hour ago or so, already listened to most of it)

Hmmm... I'm on the fence now (thanks to you Cheapy) about my still-sealed copy of Mass Effect. I really liked KOTOR (including the combat) and ME sounds like it goes away from the RPG elements I liked from that and more into an action-shooter type game (which is much less interesting to me).

On a somewhat related note, I couldn't help but notice that you put down the "best reviewed game ever" aspect of Mario Galaxy by saying it was good for a platformer like that was some sort of inferior genre (implying that no way could a platformer be the best game ever). Now, fine if you don't like platformers, but there are some of us out there bored to tears by shooters and prefer platformers. That's why, to me, I can't see how Bioshock or Mass Effect could possibly be Game of the Year. Shooters lose 3-5 points automatically in my internal scoring system ;). (FWIW, I certainly wouldn't say Mario Galaxy is the best game ever - personally I don't have one).

As for the whole "Super Frank Galaxy" deal, I think you are missing the mark there. Yes, it scores higher because it is Mario, but the Mario essence is a big part of the game. It is more than the character models, it is the atmosphere and feel of the game as well. Anyway, I'm making less and less sense the more I type. My newborn is now 5 days old ;).

Kudos for mentioning Starglight, that was a great game. I must've spent 200 hours one summer playing it. Mass Effect is very much a spiritual successor to it.

Regarding the copy-protection wheel you also had to be very careful about game saves--if you saved on the original floppies you could easily render the game unplayable.

The SMG review news is old news. It stopped being #1 on GameRankings a week ago or so. The thing about their collection of reviews is that before the PS1 or so, they don't really have much in the way of reviews for games on the systems before that. What you're most likely to find are retro reviews that aren't much of a representation of the reviews of that time. SMG's just the #2 best-rated game on their site.

It's nice to see Cheapy giving Uncharted more credit than calling it Dude Raider.

Edit: I can't say that the early Rock Band DLC is a bad thing. They've been outspoken that they want to put out DLC every week, and they have to start from day one or else it'll just turn into occasional DLC that GH gets.

It's working now. Woohoo!

EDIT: Now that I've actually listened to the thing, a few comments about the Penny Arcade vs. IGN feud. While I do agree that Gabe's done a lot for the gaming fandom and that Jeff from IGN overreacted in his podcast, I do need to play devil's advocate a bit here. I don't think all of Jeff's anger stems from jealousy; sure Gabe's rich, but as a result, he's also become extremely arrogant and self-centered. Hell, he was bragging a few months back about how he drives a Mercedes now, and that makes him better than all of the people he went to high school with! Not to mention his news/blog posts where he craps all over anyone who disagrees with him. (I know part of this may be his PA "persona," but come on, it's not something he's completely making up.) While his original post about AC made sense, and Jeff shouldn't have flipped out about it, the fact does remain that Gabe is not a game reviewer, and really shouldn't be telling others how to do their job. I think his arrogance as a result of his wealth and "power" within the game's world is what really tees off many game journalists (I know a few who fall into this category, but I can't mention any names).

I don't care how much money Gabe makes; that doesn't make him a review. Plus, if you want to through financials around, there's a hell of a lot more money going through IGN and its subsidiaries than PA. Gabe's comments can be well thought-out, but he needs to get off his high horse when he's making them. At the same time, IGN staffers (and others) just shouldn't rise to the bait. Let Gabe call them irrelevant all he wants; when PA can pull in even a fraction of the hits that IGN does, then he can actually back up his statements with facts. (For the record, PA's Alexa rank is currently 2025, while IGN's is 150.)

That's just my two cents. It would be hilarious if Cheapy really did send a shitbag to Gabe's wife, though. ;)

Where is our David Sheppard?

Also, good suggestion up top. Try to get Gabe on for a segment. Free promo for Child's Play plus some discussion of the holiday season and his bitch fight with Jeffie.

Great Cagcast!

I liked all the talk about review scores/ time to play game and such. Also thanks for posting up the interview for us that were asleep.

As for a guest....I think maybe it would be cool to interview the producer of that Godzilla game for the DS, find out what went wrong and wtf they were thinking to actually release that!

To answer the question of good potential guests:

Don't bother with devs. You guys are industry comentators so get more industry commentators.

A few more suggestions:
Ron Workman is just hilarious. An easy win.
Justin McElroy from Joystiq is a pretty funny guy. Would probably mesh well with Cheapy and Wombat.
Crecente is a great writer and does a great job in providing news and insight for the community.
John Davidson might be interesting with his new family friendly website venture.

Aagh ears bleeding!! Don't keep this intro.... sorry to whoever wrote it I'm sure it sounds better on speakers... XD

Other than that... woo! I have been listening to CheapyD and Wombat since Cheapy whored himself on the Joystiq podcast (I think that was the one). Anyway it has quickly become my favorite! Thanks Cheapy and Wombat!

I think the "jealously" reasoning is pretty weak. I mean, devs make a shit ton more than Jeff at IGN and you don't hear him going off on them week after week. It comes down to this. When someone who doesn't do your job complains loudly that you aren't doing it right; you're going to get pissed. I actually found it funny (funnier than most Penny Arcade, in fact). The guys at PA are pretty freaking arrogant to think that "mentioning them" makes someone relevant.

I do wonder how Cheapy and Wombat did the show with their lips firmly planted on Gabe's butt, however.

Hey now,
Good Show. Drakes is probably the best exclusive ps3 game out. I totally agree that it is more like an Indiana Jones movie than Tomb Raider ever was. Plus it has modern day pirates, sorry Wombat no colonial pirates. Btw game endings do matter, and ubisoft is notorious for cliff hanger, to be continued game endings. I'm not getting Rainbow 6 Vegas 2, fuuck that.

Damn still not working for me on Itunes. Rather than listening some other way I'm just going to wait it out until it works on Itunes. Looking forward to listening, sounds like a good show.

bread's done
Back