- - - - -

Super Mario Maker discussion (update)The imaginary game that will get me to buy a WiiU - Super Mario Maker

#31 soliddragon   Early Adopter CAGiversary!   1096 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

soliddragon

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:33 AM

Is this game worth the $59.99?? I'm having a hard time with it, even with my GCU discount. Don't get me wrong, I commend what Nintendo is doing here, and it should result in some cool community created stuff. But still, it kinda feels like a niche $40 title to me. I am by no means the most creative egg in the crate, but it looks easy enough to make levels. Personally, I'd probably try my hand at 2-3 levels then get bored, then just wait to download others stuff. 

Also, two things in particular tug at my disappointment strings; #1 It doesn't look like you can create a "world", you know like Super Mario World, wherein you have a map with ALL the levels you've created (that would be cool). And most importantly #2 There is no Super Mario Bros 2 maps or content (My favorite Mario title) Now if there was even the promise of THAT in it. I'd probably throw my $59.99 at it.

Anyways, just wanted to see if anyone else felt like I do. I've noticed the internets exploding with all manner of Mario Maker Hype train buildup this week. Any one else have reservations?

#32 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:23 PM

I wish it was MSRP listed at $39.99 or even $49.99, but I think Nintendo knows people who want it will pay the $59.99 tag.  No doubt there will be some DLC with this down the road, maybe even some freebies here and there, so a potential SMB2 theme would be a possibility.

#33 hufferstl   Get your symbols kid CAGiversary!   2547 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:11 AM

I wish they would announce one with the 8-bit Mario Amiibo.  I usually hate dust-collecting crap, but that thing looks pretty awesome.  

#34 Cage017   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4903 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:48 AM

#2 There is no Super Mario Bros 2 maps or content (My favorite Mario title) Now if there was even the promise of THAT in it. I'd probably throw my $59.99 at it.

If this video is any indicator, it will:

Notice they have the doors from SMB2.

And Bob-ombs.

#35 Cage017   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4903 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:57 AM

Need more convincing? Check out this video @ the 4:20 mark:

Spoiler

#36 soliddragon   Early Adopter CAGiversary!   1096 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

soliddragon

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:09 AM

Aww man! Cage, you're giving me teh hopes. I thought the first video was SMB2 Mario sprite, but it's SMB3 I guess, but yes the doors and the Bob-ombs, and them talking about the sounds in the second, is making my trigger finger itchy for a pre-order. Thanks!

#37 Cage017   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4903 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:00 AM

Any word on if or when a Mario Maker Wii U bundle is coming to the states?

And here it is:

http://www.walmart.c...xe-Set/46332782

Wish it wasn't exclusive to one store.

#38 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:25 PM

So is NA not getting the physical game + Amiibo bundle like EU is getting?  So to get the Idea / Art Booklet and the Amiibo you have to buy the console bundle?  For that kind of buy in they should of had a custom design on the Gamepad too, but maybe that's asking too much.

#39 JoshTX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2472 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:35 AM

Its looking like the only bundle we are getting in the states is the full system + game download + amiibo bundle. And wven that kinda sucks, because you are only getting a digital voucher and not the disc game. I've taken September 11th off of work now to try to make sure I'm at the store early enough to get tge amiibo before it sells out.

#40 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:33 AM

There is a planogram picture from Walmart showing that they have spaces reserved for the Classic and Modern Mario amiibo separate. No game bundle, but could be worse.

As for the game itself, it's pretty blatant that DLC is coming. After all, you not only have SMB2 (which was used to fill in gaps for the other two NES skins), but also the All-stars version of Mario 1 and 3. And despite them not being sidescrollers, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mario 64, Sunshine, and/or 3D World skins.

#41 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:41 PM

Some reviews are being posted, at least one from Nintendo Life here.

What interests me in this review is the mention of the ability to record your own sound effects with the mic.  Is that limited to only the music blocks, or can you add these sound effects to other aspects, like when you kill the enemies, find hidden spots, etc.?

I could have alot of fun with that, plus not sure if that would carry over into the DL levels, hard to manage that and keep the E rating.  Though Nintendo usually has that rating may change depending on online content disclaimer at start up, so maybe it'll still pass it along.

#42 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:01 PM

Check out the GameXplain channel. They have TONS of Mario Maker coverage, including all the effects.

Effects can be added to anything. There is a level called Super Shump Bros. where every time you hit Bowser Jr. you get the cat's paw effect. He also added the Boss sound effect all around to simulate boss music. However, voice clips can only be used locally, not online.

#43 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:21 PM

For some examples of some of the kinds of levels already made:

https://www.youtube....h?v=SGLnacPPLeo

https://www.youtube....h?v=U3pXNt7zqIU

https://www.youtube....h?v=2P5fcDHnhOU

#44 Gden   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3116 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:15 AM

So, could someone theoretically just buy the game, and do nothing but play other people's levels?  I'd love to play this game, but I'm not sure I would be that great at the creation part.  I mean, is there a spot where all stages are uploaded, and anyone can download, or is it only sharing among friends?

#45 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:39 AM

Of course. The title screen even has "Make" and "Play" options. Hell, the title screen itself loads up a random/last played level.

There's also the 10-Mario and 100-Mario Challenges.

EDIT: OK, I was wrong. You have to finish making a Tutorial level before you can play.

​​

#46 Gden   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3116 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:42 PM

I can live with that.

#47 JoshTX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2472 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:36 PM

After seeing some of what has been made thus far, I have to admit that a lot of it is very creative, but I personally feel like I want to keep my levels a bit more simple and linear. Fun is essential, of course, but a certain degree of simplicity is something I have always valued in Mario games. A few of these levels on Youtube that I have seen are so creative that they border more of an artsy chaos than what I would want from a platformer. If I can design levels in the vein of the Lost levels (Japanese SMB2) or something similar, I'll be happy. 

#48 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:49 PM

So to get the Idea / Art Booklet and the Amiibo you have to buy the console bundle?

Nope. The new Nintendo Minute video confirmed that the booklet is packaged with all copies of the game. You also get it digitally if you buy it via eShop.

#49 rocky435   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   195 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

rocky435

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:35 AM

This is definitely a day buy for me. Nintendo's going to have some type of dlc for it. Super Mario Bros 2 dlc is most likley going to happen. The 8-bit Mario amiibo is just too cool to not have. The sheer amount of level and 100 nintendo charcters as power up costumes just make this a winner in general.

#50 hufferstl   Get your symbols kid CAGiversary!   2547 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 03:27 PM

I hope that levels can be exported to an SD card, because otherwise we have to pray that Nintendo keeps the servers for this game open forever.

#51 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:59 AM

By the time Nintendo shuts down the servers, there will likely be a Mario Maker 2 or remixed edition for the NX that will use the old saves.

#52 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:27 PM

GameXplain is doing a live demo of the Japanese version. There was a level where you were trapped in a room of dozens of springs and had a ton of Mystery Mushroom spring costumes.

#53 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:20 AM

Nintendo has a Day 1 patch for the game that, among other bug fixes, changed the unlocking method for the content. New content unlocks every 15 minutes of playtime instead of each day.

#54 Cage017   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4903 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:30 AM

So close to buying this. I hope there's no issues or problems with the servers from so many people being on.

#55 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:14 AM

Well, there was no problem with the Japanese and European releases.

#56 crimsontadpoles  

crimsontadpoles

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:34 AM

Just waiting for the postman to arrive, and then I'll be obsessed with the making of the Mario.

#57 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4095 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:55 PM

Nintendo has a Day 1 patch for the game that, among other bug fixes, changed the unlocking method for the content. New content unlocks every 15 minutes of playtime instead of each day.

Really glad to hear about this update. I wasn't too thrilled to hear that I'd have to wait days for new content to be unlocked or I'd have to speed up the clock on my console. 

I am really stoked to get off work and get my copy of this. I had actually sent my mother out with some cash to pick me up the new Amiibo's today while I am at work. I am not going to miss out on that sweet 8-bit Mario, she said it will remind her of when I was a kid and how she would wait in line for the new Power Rangers toys back in the day. I told her that the only difference will be that this time she will be waiting in line with a bunch of middle aged men around my age or older, who will likely buy as many figures as they can.

#58 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:24 PM

Code to get your visuals in CRT mode:

#59 Renegade Moose   The cake is a lie. CAGiversary!   1063 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Renegade Moose

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:53 PM

The game has been out for 15 hours and nobody is sharing their levels in this thread?  For shame!  :shame: 

;)

#60 AugustAPC   Not For Sale CAGiversary!   3608 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:20 PM

Here's the first level I made. They don't let you start with many tools, so it's fairly simplistic.

3 ways to finish! Can get to the top of the flag?

B535-0000-0018-9A6C